PDA

View Full Version : A partisan tilt, but no ideological change

Warham
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
THE result of US midterm congressional elections contains two great lessons, one for liberals and Democrats and one for conservatives and Republicans.

For liberals: the US remains extremely conservative. In a year many called "the worst Republican environment since Watergate", the party lost fewer than half as many seats as the Democrats lost in 1994. Control of the Senate is now in Democrat hands.

Previous Democratic wins - 1974, 1986 - swept into office new and very liberal politicians. The House class of 2006, by contrast, will be strikingly less liberal than the existing Democrat caucus.

The Democrats' (unsuccessful) Senate candidate in Tennessee, Harold Ford, described God as his campaign manager and posted the Ten Commandments on the back of his business cards.

The US, in short, has experienced a sharp partisan tilt - but not nearly so sharp an ideological change. Polls continue to show that somewhere between 45 and 55 per cent of Americans would favour a military strike on Iran if diplomacy fails to halt its nuclear program. Frustration in Iraq is not leading them to reconsider the war on Islamic extremism. Indeed, many polls suggest they are becoming more radical in their attitudes to Islam: the proportion of Americans who associate Islam with terrorism did not rise at all after the September 11 attacks, but has risen since the Danish cartoon controversy.

The lessons on the other side of the political ledger are equally important - and possibly even more painful. Not only has President George Bush been forced at last to cashier his Secretary of Defence, Donald Rumsfeld, but he has replaced him with Bob Gates, a former CIA director who was one of the intimates of the first president Bush. Along with the isolation of the Vice-President, Dick Cheney, it marks an embarrassing reversal for the President.

Exit polls suggest that corruption, not Iraq, ranked first among voter concerns. But the corruption of the Republican Party went much deeper than a couple of congressmen accepting gifts from Jack Abramoff and his fellow lobbyists. The deeper problem was that people such as Abramoff were able to buy attention for issues and causes rejected by most Americans.

The most extreme example of this phenomenon was the Bush Administration's push for an immigration reform that combined amnesty in all but name for most of the 12 million illegal aliens with a guest-worker program to import many million more low-skilled, low-wage workers.

Republicans and conservatives hate the measure. Yet Bush and the Senate Republicans have pushed for it again and again.

Since inauguration day, Bush's support among conservative Republicans has dropped by more than 20 percentage points, from the high 90s to the mid 70s. If Democrats can manoeuvre him into fighting his party on immigration, they can isolate him.

Many in Europe perceive Bush as a right-wing extremist. If he were, he would be in far less trouble today. In truth, his relationship with conservative America (36 per cent of the electorate - double the portion that calls itself liberal) has always been tense and complicated.

Yet at exactly the moment that conservative Republicans yearn to hear a reassertion of their principles and ideals, they are likely to hear instead a command to fall back into formation for one last grand charge on behalf of an immigration policy demanded by the party's donors, not its voters.

And if Bush pursues it, it is precisely the kind of action that will transform Tuesday's defeat into a two-year-long rout.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/a-partisan-tilt-but-no-ideological-change/2006/11/10/1162661897739.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

LoungeMachine
11-10-2006, 05:14 PM
And we enter the spin cycle........

;)

DEMON CUNT
11-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
And we enter the spin cycle........

Pretty pathetic.

LoungeMachine
11-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
Pretty pathetic.

But quite expected.

IT'S THE "you didn't really win, ya know.....we lost.......on purpose.........and I'm glad......it's for the better........and I knew it would happen all along......Karl Rove is a genius" SPIN

Nickdfresh
11-11-2006, 09:43 AM
So what is this article about again?

That Democrats are now pretending to be good Christians to get elected, like Republicans have been all along?

Congratulations! Pretty soon, maybe War and his ilk will figure out that not only could most Republican politicians care less about abortion, but that they want it to continue so that obsessive moronalists will keep casting ballots for them...

LoungeMachine
11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So what is this article about again?

Have no clue.....

Never bothered to read it....:cool:

LoungeMachine
02-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Bump

For the 3 month anniversary of WarNOT'S last FL Thread.

ODShowtime
02-09-2007, 08:19 AM
So he can't even manage to come in and throw around "but clintons" anymore? It's not like that's very hard to do.

FORD
02-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Harold Ford (no relation) said that GOD was his campaign manager??

Yeah, and I'm sure "God" got him his new gig as chair of the "Democratic" Losership Corporatewhores as well :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
02-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
So he can't even manage to come in and throw around "but clintons" anymore? It's not like that's very hard to do.

I know man! I mean, it's not like he couldn't visit us and make one of his typical "liberals suck" and "Bill Clinton is worse than Buoche and da' Dev'bil!!" posts once in a while...

ODShowtime
02-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I know man! I mean, it's not like he couldn't visit us and make one of his typical "liberals suck" and "Bill Clinton is worse than Buoche and da' Dev'bil!!" posts once in a while...

It's makes it feel like the good old days.

Now that it's common knowledge that gw&friends are traiterous slimebags, it's too easy.

LoungeMachine
02-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Therein lies the rub....

WarNOT no longer has the BALLS to defend this administration, and the Mid-temrs shows how out of touch he is.

Of course, in typical Neo-Con Shitbag fashion, he'll pop in every 3 or 4 weeks and talk down to the rest of us.

We need a Right Leaning Mod who GIVES A SHIT about his own forum.

Not one that calls for it to be closed, and then disappears like a pussy.

Nickdfresh
02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I wonder if WarBOT has discovered the glory of Vagisil for his itchy little sour hole?

ODShowtime
02-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Not one that calls for it to be closed, and then disappears like a pussy.

I really thought it was in poor taste when he and bbb would slag the forum just because they were getting owned daily.

LoungeMachine
02-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I really thought it was in poor taste when he and bbb would slag the forum just because they were getting owned daily.

Hmmm

Where else have we seen a group of people who SLAM and SLANDER anyone who owns them, and their LIES???

Oh yeah,

BushCO

ODShowtime
02-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Hmmm

Where else have we seen a group of people who SLAM and SLANDER anyone who owns them, and their LIES???

Oh yeah,

BushCO

SOP

hideyoursheep
02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
YOU LIBS ARE PUSSIES!!!
YOU HATE AMERICA!!!!
WHY DO YOU HATE THE TROOPS?!!!
IF YOU HAD YOUR WAY, KERRY WOULD BE PRESIDENT!!!
THEN THE TERRORISTS WOULD HAVE THEIR WAY WITH US!!
ONLY BUSH CAN KEEP US SAFE!!!

hideyoursheep
02-09-2007, 09:47 PM
...I tried.

LoungeMachine
02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
...I tried.

Needs work.

6 lines and not a single BABYKILLERS!!!!

Weak.

hideyoursheep
02-09-2007, 10:10 PM
...I feel so.....dirty!

Nitro Express
02-10-2007, 05:44 AM
The United States is not the puritan haven people think it is. It has it's immoral majority just like every place else. The thing is, the people who are organized, involved, and vote tend to be the more religiouse, conservative types. The less anal crowd typically doesn't bother to vote or have any real agenda.

Anything you do in the community that needs volunteers that actually do something, they tend to be conservative, church going, family oriented people. They seem to be doers and seem to know what they want vs. the more liberal crowd who go to the protests, and concerts but don't vote.

Nickdfresh
02-10-2007, 10:44 AM
What I find priceless about this thread is that it already claims to know the political direction of the Congress six-days after they were elected...

More of the Townidiot.com spam...

LoungeMachine
02-10-2007, 11:26 AM
What I find priceless about this thread is that it already claims to know the political direction of the Congress six-days after they were elected...

More of the Townidiot.com spam...

Well, it was the last contribution to a forum he wants removed, so what does that tell us.