PDA

View Full Version : Remember that bass player from Huey Lewis who wore sunglasses and always had a cig.

BITEYOASS
11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Ex-Huey Lewis Bassist Mario Cipollina Pleads Not Guilty to Drug Charges
Tuesday, August 08, 2006

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — Mario Cipollina, a founding member of Huey Lewis & the News, has pleaded not guilty to felony counts of heroin and methamphetamine possession, court officials said.

Cipollina, 51, who played bass in the band, entered the plea Monday. He was being held in the Marin County jail without bail because the charges violated the terms of his probation for previous felony burglary and petty theft convictions, said Deputy District Attorney Linda Witong.

Cipollina was due back in court Aug. 21. He could face more than four years in prison if convicted, Witong said.

Sheriff's investigators allegedly found small amounts of the drugs in Cipollina's pocket during a random probation search at his home in Santa Venetia, said Sgt. Jerry Jones.

His probation stemmed from an August 2004 arrest for stealing about $5,500 worth of radio control cars from a San Anselmo store.(WTF?) While searching his residence, police allegedly found two automatic weapons, including an M-60 machine gun. Felony gun possession charges were later dismissed.

In September 1996, he was arrested after Novato police said they found heroin, methamphetamine, a knife and a revolver in his possession during a traffic stop.

Huey Lewis & the News had a string of hits in the 1980s, including "The Power of Love" and "I Want a New Drug."

Cipollina left the band in 1994.

And now we know why. :rolleyes:

Panamark
11-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Shit, he really did want a new drug, huh !

binnie
11-15-2006, 03:24 AM
An M-60.

Shit!

Revan
11-15-2006, 03:37 AM
It doesn't really come as much of a surprise, honestly. There are quite a few stories out there about The News (and Huey) and their drug history.

Mario always impressed me as the "bad ass" of the group, or the "real" tough guy.

Apparently, he was into some very interesting stuff.

Hardrock69
11-15-2006, 10:44 AM
DAMN!

When I was in the army, an M-60 was my assigned weapon.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:D

http://calligari.free.fr/machine-gun/m60e3.jpg

BITEYOASS
11-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Well you knew this post was inevitable:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ta1x_Yh82c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ta1x_Yh82c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BITEYOASS
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
That band always had hot chicks in their videos.

BITEYOASS
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
DAMN!

When I was in the army, an M-60 was my assigned weapon.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:D

http://calligari.free.fr/machine-gun/m60e3.jpg

Probably beats out the M240G that I fired. You couldn't fire it standing up like the M-60, unless you felt like getting 2'nd degree burns that day.

DavidLeeNatra
11-15-2006, 11:07 AM
true story...my MOTHER brought cocain in the hotel for the band when they played the small world tour in berlin...she didn't know it...a friend asked her to drive her to the hotel...

she ended up in the hotel suite and got a button and a signed foto from huey...

BITEYOASS
11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
true story...my MOTHER brought cocain in the hotel for the band when they played the small world tour in berlin...she didn't know it...a friend asked her to drive her to the hotel...

she ended up in the hotel suite and got a button and a signed foto from huey...

Ah cocaine, the drug of choice for all 80's rockers. If you can name me one musician who didn't use it, then I'll give you some beachfront property in Arizona. :D

bastardog
11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Ah cocaine, the drug of choice for all 80's rockers. If you can name me one musician who didn't use it, then I'll give you some beachfront property in Arizona. :D
Maybe one of those that claim to be "Christian" musician... or "Godspel"

svrwthr
11-19-2006, 07:56 PM

I'll name one and that person founded Van Halens career , Chaim Witz.

Chaim did not do coke! Business man all the way and maybe smoked some reefer and did alcohol early on.

I'll take my beachfront 10 miles outside Mesa if you please.

BITEYOASS
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by svrwthr
I'll name one and that person founded Van Halens career , Chaim Witz.

Chaim did not do coke! Business man all the way and maybe smoked some reefer and did alcohol early on.

I'll take my beachfront 10 miles outside Mesa if you please.

Here comes the buzzer EEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH! The question has to do with rock stars, not businessmen!

BITEYOASS
11-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Anyway, I think Mario Cipollina probably went off the deep end of a depression steming back to his brother John's (The lead guitarist of Quicksilver Messenger Service) death back in 89.

diamondsgirl
11-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Ah cocaine, the drug of choice for all 80's rockers.

and a vast amount of their fans :cool:

FORD
11-20-2006, 01:52 AM
U2 was strictly reading Bibles and drinking orange juice in the 80's. I doubt they ever did coke, though they did eventually work some Guinness in between the orange juice breaks like any good Irishman.

I'll take that "beachfront property" somewhere in the north end of Tucson, thanks :cool:

Revan
11-20-2006, 07:49 AM

Weird Al Yankovic.

You pick the location... :)

BITEYOASS
11-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Anyone know how the faultlines work? :D