PDA

View Full Version : Queensryche At The Ryman 11-15-06 Review

Hardrock69
11-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Got to The Ryman only about 10 minutes before showtime.
Walked in, found my seat. 7th row on the floor. about 20 feet right of center.

Took 150 photos, and 2 videos. My camera will take QuickTime video, though they are silent.

They did OM I.

Seemed like they were phoning in their performance. I mean, they were not bad, but Geoff Tate was the only one who smiled during the entire performance.

I discovered right away he was missing his upper register.

On Revolution Calling, he could not hit the high stuff at all, and that was the second song. If he did not substitute a lower melody, he would just back off from his headset, meaning, his lips moved but you couldn't hear him until he decided to come back into the vocal line.....so it seemed somewhat as if the soundguy was playing with the fader....."Hey, I will drop him out for a moment....ok let's turn him up suddenly in mid-word!".

Bassist Eddie Jackson appeared listless all evening. Looked as if he wanted to be somewhere else, did not care, or was not feeling well. Who the fuck knows?

The other guys were all great, though no smilies.

They still turned in a top-notch performance despite these small distractions.

The second set, OM II was pretty good, but the songs were not memorable, save one or two.

On the first Mindcrime, every song on the record was good and memorable enough to be a hit, and of course, I have heard every song from that album played on the radio in the almost 20 years since it came out. The sequel, though not a bad album, does not contain anything that might be on par with any song from the first record. Just my opinion.

So they played OM II, and everybody was appreciative enough, though of course the "new" plot line is not something you can really follow in live performance, unless you are a devout, slavish QR fan who has learned every last note and/or breath of every song on OM II. And the audience response to unfamiliar material was ok, but nothing to right home about.
But hey, they have had 20 years to be familiar with the first OM, so what the hell.

They played 2 songs for an encore: Empire and Jet City Woman, and those 2 songs drew an insane response from the crowd.

Oh, and Pamela Moore was kickass!!! And...need I say it? She was fucking HOT!!!

Me drools....

Here is a photo:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e13df78885.jpg

When I got to the exit, I discovered it was pouring down rain. Parking garage was 2 blocks away. So I ran.....and took shelter in a couple of doorways long enough to catch my breath.

I was soaking wet by the time I got to my vehicle.

Got home by 11:30. Show had begun at 7:30

Overall, it was not NEARLY as kickass as it was last year. This is the worst performance I have ever seen by them (my seventh time seeing them), but their worst is much better than 90% of all other rock bands on the planet.

So I will just say...it was great AS USUAL, but it sorta lacked energy.
This is the last leg of their tour, they only have 12 dates left. Maybe they were just having an off night.

Here are the two best photos:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/ae6da105ff.jpg

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/96b72f2f25.jpg

Hardrock69
11-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Once again, I can see images in IE, but not Firefox.

Strange.

At the beginning of the first set last night, Geoff held up a couple of hand-drawn signs.

One said something like "GET OUT OF IRAQ - NOW!".

The other one said "Will someone give Bush a blowjob so we can impeach him?"

Seshmeister
11-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Red X alert!

Does taking 2 videos and 150 pictures not ruin the show for you?

Ellyllions
11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I've heard from several people at different shows that this was the most lazy they'd seen QR. Some are die-hard fans who've been really following the band since their inception and they're all saying the same thing.

It's getting kind of sad really, but ya gotta wonder if there truly is a shelf-life for some bands. 'Cause when the energy isn't coming from the stage, it's hard for the audience to return it.

Seshmeister
11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I was very very disappointed with this tour.

I won't go and see them again unless I hear they've sorted themselves out.

Hardrock69
11-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Red X alert!

Does taking 2 videos and 150 pictures not ruin the show for you?

Not at all. Let us say for instance, that I took 5 pictures and then stopped for a little while.

150 pictures in 120 minutes = about a little more than one per minute.

But if I take several in a row, that usually only takes a minute or two.

So I would go 10-15 minutes without taking any, then I would see stuff onstage that would make me want to take a photo....so I would stand up and take about 10 photos or so.

Everyone around me stood up for the entire show, but with where I was, I had no problem seeing anything from my seat, and not only that, but I did not need to actually see anything. I was there for the music.

Overall, I had a good time, and one thing I admire about them on this tour, they are keeping ticket prices in check: They were only 38 bucks + service fees no matter where you sat.

I have been pondering whether or not I want to see them again.
Last year they kicked serious ass.
This year they did not seem to have their hearts in it.

Gotta admit, they have had a 20+ year run....they have been pretty successful compared to many bands...and the fact they are still touring and performing, recording, etc. means they can still earn some money anyway.

I will see how I feel when they come back around in a year or two. I think I would rather hear a set of all their hits instead of OM II, though.

Seshmeister
11-17-2006, 02:17 PM
OM II was a cash grab

Mr Badguy
11-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Maybe that`s why their hearts aren`t in it.

I don`t know what the projected sales of OMII were that they had but I imagine it fell well short.

The album came and went without much fanfare.

Of course, the first OM took about a year to take off but I can`t see that happening this time.

Seshmeister
11-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't blame them for cashing in on OMII hey they're older now and have wives and kids to feed.

What I object to is them failing to fucking work for their money for 100 minutes a night or whatever it is standing with their faces tripping them and sneering at the people that pay their fucking wages.

I don't know what's up with them but there seems to be trouble in the camp. Even so look at Van Halen, they fucking hated each other but still did the show.

It's very unprofessional. I've seen them 4 times over 17 years and there was a completely different atmosphere and vibe on this tour. I thought maybe I just caught them on a bad night but I've seen some similar reviews and comments from other shows. Remember I saw them in Manchester, England 6 months ago near the start of this tour before they went to the US and they're still pissed off??

Seshmeister
11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Not at all. Let us say for instance, that I took 5 pictures and then stopped for a little while.

150 pictures in 120 minutes = about a little more than one per minute.

When I posted that I had visions of you juggling video cameras I forgot about cell phone videos.

I always thought people were dumb with the video camera thing especially a few years back when they had B&W viewers. For example I went on a helicopter ride with this other couple over the Grand Canyon and the guy spent the whole journey peering into a little black and white lens instead of just sitting back and enjoying it. Did he think he was going to do a better job than even the shittiest documentary on National Geographic or Discovery? Would he ever watch the footage? Yet he was missing a rare wow moment of his all too short existence on the planet.

Not that the current QR tour is a wow moment but you see my point...:)

Cheers!

:gulp:

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Trust me....I saw enough, and taking photos was not a constant thang throughout the night.

There were lotsa cell phone users around too. Mostly people used their cell phone s ...and some of it was not for photos....the chick next to me called her own voice mail and was recording a few minutes of the show!

I saw other peeps call friends and say "here listen...." and then hold their phone up in the air for awhile.

Here is the new bootleg scenario.......

If you can somehow smuggle in a couple of high quality mics (or one stereo mic) and you have a way to hook it up to your cellphone, if you are in an area with wi-fi coverage, you could transmit the audio to the internet using your cell phone as a transmitter.

That way you don't have to worry about getting busted with a "recording device".

Sept. 15, 1978...Seattle Center Coliseum. In concert: Boston on the early part of their "Don't Look Back" tour...with Spambo The Flatulent opening (back when he actually sorta rocked....).

I was sneaking a tape recorder and mic into the venue. Got stopped by security to be patted down, guy starts asking me what I had in the front of my pants.....that was where Mr. Microphone was....:eek:

Of course I said "nothing" and then with a cop looking on, he ordered me to unzip my fly!

So I did....and there was a mic and some wire sticking out.

He and the cop cracked up, and the guy yelled at a lady cop at the gate next to ours and said "Hey check out this guy's act!!!"

She looked at my crotch and laughed like hell....and the security guy said "Ok go on in....." and they did not catch all the pot I had on me haha.....

The tape turned out grate. It and all my other bootlegs I had recorded up to that point were stolen out of my car in early 1979. Valuable lesson...ALWAYS LEAVE THE BOOTS AT HOME! NEVER TAKE THEM OUT IN PUBLIC!!!

:rolleyes:

So 6 months later, (after my tapes were stolen) the same tour came to Wichita, Kansas, and I snuck in a tape recorder again, and the tape turned out just as good...though that time I did not bother to tape Spambo the Flatulent.

Transferred the Boston set to CD last year....sounds marvy.

binnie
11-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Damn, I haven't heard OMII yet, but on the reviews here I won't bother.

sad that they've let themsleves go...

Mr Badguy
11-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Damn, I haven't heard OMII yet, but on the reviews here I won't bother.

Don`t do that.

It`s a very credible record.

However, when you compare it to "Operation:Mindrime", one of THE metal albums of the late 80`s, it ain`t in the same league.

If they had just released it as a different concept altogether without the OM title, which wouldn`t have been hard as the plot doesn`t really have that much to do with the original, it would have got a lot more respect.

binnie
11-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Don`t do that.

It`s a very credible record.

However, when you compare it to "Operation:Mindrime", one of THE metal albums of the late 80`s, it ain`t in the same league.

If they had just released it as a different concept altogether without the OM title, which wouldn`t have been hard as the plot doesn`t really have that much to do with the original, it would have got a lot more respect.

Cheers. Coming from you, I will check it out, as I value your opinion...

I suppose the reason they released it under the OM title was to generate sales....

Mr Badguy
11-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by binnie I suppose the reason they released it under the OM title was to generate sales....

Hell yes.

But in doing that they made a rod for their own back.

I still think they should have left well alone.

I don`t think anything they would have come up with would have lived up to the title "Operation:Mindcrime II".

They should have left that kind of shit to Meatloaf.

jgdrag
12-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Mindcrime 1 was their best effort and the followup to it was needed by the fans!
Being on this web site you can understand, we here have waited 22 years for the Van Halen reunion with Roth, as I have waited 16 years for Mindcrime 2. Even though Geoff Tate states that once he is done with an album, he doesn't revisit it(Bullshit)
I was front row last month for the concert and yes, everything Hardrock said was exactly the way I saw it.
Mindcrime 2 was no where near Mindcrime 1, it gets lost after the 7th song on the cd, but Mindcrime 2 was needed to complete the story.
Yes, I was glad I went none the less, but front row was just too fucking cool!
This was my wife's first time seeing Queensryche after she began listening to them 6 years ago and she was completely in awe at Geoff's voice none the less
However, I did not expect to see the 1989 Mindcrime tour as I do not expect to see Van Halen 1984 again when the reunion finally happens.
Pam was looking alot sluttier than I thought she would after seeing her on the Mindcrime tour and Seattle dvd, which was a bonus.
People at the concert were saying there will be a dvd of the tour and something about a movie, who knows? There was a camera on Geoff Tate all night.
The show was something different, hopefully there is a dvd and you will all see what I mean.

Hardrock69
12-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah well they could have spent a couple of years and written about 100 songs to choose from for the album.

I mean, their worst is still better than many other band's best, but OM II was lame in comparison.

I can live without it.

Mr. Badguy said it right.

jgdrag
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
That was far from their worst in comparison to Tribe, Promised Land or Q2K, but then again, I have been a fan since the ep release so it was nice to have some sort of a decent release after, in my opinion, releasing garbage the last several albums.

jgdrag
12-07-2006, 01:16 AM
By the way Mr Badguy, the plot of MC2 has everything to do with the first Mindcrime album, including Ronnie James Dios appearance on the album as Dr X.

binnie
12-07-2006, 03:37 AM
I finally got around to listening to it.

It's ok, kinda non-descript actually. Age catches them all it would seem....

Seshmeister
12-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by jgdrag
By the way Mr Badguy, the plot of MC2 has everything to do with the first Mindcrime album, including Ronnie James Dios appearance on the album as Dr X.

I don't know that you could call it a 'plot'.

Nikki gets out of prison, is upset, kills Dr X and is still upset. End.

Cheers!

binnie
12-07-2006, 07:24 AM

Best post in this thread!

Ha hA!

Mr Badguy
12-07-2006, 04:31 PM
That was far from their worst in comparison to Tribe, Promised Land or Q2K, but then again, I have been a fan since the ep release so it was nice to have some sort of a decent release after, in my opinion, releasing garbage the last several albums.

You think OM2 is better than "Promised land"?

Now that`s something I don`t agree with.

"Promised land", IMO, is as good as ANYTHING they`ve released.

Mr Badguy
12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't know that you could call it a 'plot'.

Cheers!

If it was that clear it would be a great plot.

I mean what`s all this stuff about "The Hands"?

I`ve read the lyrics a few times to try and decipher the story but it`s even more enigmatic than the end of OM1, whose plot lines were supposed to be tied up in OM2.

It smacks of a band (well, Geoff Tate) trying to be far too clever.

Setting up OM3 after a few more poorply received albums perhaps?;)

jgdrag
12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, I must admit that I prefer anything up to Empire and nothing more, with the exception of the first 7 songs off of MC2 somewhat?

I hope you are wrong about MC3.
If you watch the bonus footage off of the Mindcrime dvd, Geoff Tate outright claims to not want to go back to an album once it is done with, which after MC2, we know is BS

I hope they did MC2 for the conclusion and not a cash grab, MC2 falls drastically short of MC unfortunately, even for me.

As far as "The Hands', in my opinion is that Nicki is planning his revenge on Dr X as well as Nicki fighting his urge for another hit

Just my opinion

binnie
12-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Promised Land slays OMII.

Not even close....

Tiki-Tom
12-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I finally got around to listening to it.

It's ok, kinda non-descript actually. Age catches them all it would seem....

Heard it and I'v got no use for it. It's subpar at best and utter crap when compared to the first Mindcrime disc. I think DeGarmo had the right idea way back when he left the sinking ship.
I was a big fan back in the mid 80's and went to see them two or three times starting with the rage tour. They were a killer live band back then. Guess I'm better served remembering them the way they use to be live.

jgdrag
12-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Killer live band, when? Mindcrime was a pretty tone down stage presence(see dvd), Art of Live, hardly a killer performance on stage(see dvd). This tour probabley had the best stage show of any Queensryche tour.

I guess the review given to the show was missing quite a bit of what actually was going on during the show? No offence Hardrock.

But the show I saw was very theatrical in that all the characters in Mindcrime 1 were represented on stage during the entire show.

You had Nicki running around the stage tying off his veins trying to shoot another hit while Mary was trying to make him obstain from any further abuse.

The only thing missing was Ronnie James Dio's appearance on stage as Dr X! but Dr. X was represented on stage.

Constant revoving stage furniture and accesories to backdrop the particular timeline of the Mindcrime story.

At points during the concert I had to wonder if I was at the theatre or at a concert?

As far as the band phoning in their performance, I initially agreed, BUT, were they there to support the actual Mindcrime story going on during the concert or show up the theatrics going on during the show? I think to back up the story going on on stage, so what could they do, upstage the story as it unfolded in front of you?

GREAT SHOW !!!!

Can't wait for the dvd.

Tiki-Tom
12-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Killer live band, when? Mindcrime was a pretty tone down stage presence(see dvd), Art of Live, hardly a killer performance on stage(see dvd). This tour probabley had the best stage show of any Queensryche tour.

Musically, yes they were a killer live band. That IS what I go see bands for-music-first and foremost.

If I want to see a great stage show, Queensryche definitely doesn't come to mind. Good for you if you liked it. If I'm after a good stage show, I'll put my money on Alice Cooper, Kiss(even with the scabs), Maiden just to name a few.

Seshmeister
12-09-2006, 10:58 PM
In my opinion this whole thread is dancing around the whole fucking issue.

I know the brother of one of the guys in the band used to post here maybe he still visits.

Please fucking pass this on if you do.

IT'S NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE.

The show I saw in 1990 is the show 99% of Queensryche fans want now. Fuck we'll pay for it every two years as a night out for the next 20 years. What's the fucking problem? Are Queensryche better than fucking Shakespear? Last time I looked his shows were being played 400 years later, what is your fucking problem?

The UK 1990 Tour.

Backdrop of the Empire logo.

Band come on do Best I Can, Jet City Woman, Another Rainy Night, Empire.

The crowd give a 5 minute standing ovation, go fucking crazy, Geoff Tate is visibly moved. they have been a support act for so long and this is their first headlining gig. 3500 people screaming for minutes.

He talks to the crowd saying how amzed and humble they are to get such a reaction. He can't believe it. It's a vindication of all they have been doing for all these years and instead of getting some polite applause from a half full arena suppporting some metal band this is the people that get it.

The Empire backdrop falls to the floor, and is replaaced by the Mindcrime logo. They play the whole fucking thing.

Then they play a couple of songs off of Rage for Order and finish with 'Take Hold of the Flame'.

One of the best gigs I've ever been too. I know a couple of people that say to this day it's #1.

As I said it's not fucking rocket science. Why is it so difficult for them to realise they are a live act now rather than a recording act?

Why is that some sort of climb down?

The money is in the touring now anyway not the record sales.

Do people look for Hamlet II or Hamlet?

Grow up and fucking do your fucking job and stop fucking us around.

It's that simple.

Cheers!

Mr Badguy
12-10-2006, 05:36 AM
In my opinion this whole thread is dancing around the whole fucking issue.

I know the brother of one of the guys in the band used to post here maybe he still visits.

Please fucking pass this on if you do.

IT'S NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE.

The show I saw in 1990 is the show 99% of Queensryche fans want now. Fuck we'll pay for it every two years as a night out for the next 20 years. What's the fucking problem? Are Queensryche better than fucking Shakespear? Last time I looked his shows were being played 400 years later, what is your fucking problem?

The UK 1990 Tour.

Backdrop of the Empire logo.

Band come on do Best I Can, Jet City Woman, Another Rainy Night, Empire.

The crowd give a 5 minute standing ovation, go fucking crazy, Geoff Tate is visibly moved. they have been a support act for so long and this is their first headlining gig. 3500 people screaming for minutes.

He talks to the crowd saying how amzed and humble they are to get such a reaction. He can't believe it. It's a vindication of all they have been doing for all these years and instead of getting some polite applause from a half full arena suppporting some metal band this is the people that get it.

The Empire backdrop falls to the floor, and is replaaced by the Mindcrime logo. They play the whole fucking thing.

Then they play a couple of songs off of Rage for Order and finish with 'Take Hold of the Flame'.

One of the best gigs I've ever been too. I know a couple of people that say to this day it's #1.

As I said it's not fucking rocket science. Why is it so difficult for them to realise they are a live act now rather than a recording act?

Why is that some sort of climb down?

The money is in the touring now anyway not the record sales.

Do people look for Hamlet II or Hamlet?

Grow up and fucking do your fucking job and stop fucking us around.

It's that simple.

Cheers!

YEAH!

Sesh tears Geoff Tate a new arsehole!

:eek: