View Full Version : Strong Leonid Meteor Shower Expected This Weekend

Hardrock69
11-17-2006, 03:39 PM
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 14 November 2006
02:49 pm ET
http://www.space.com/images/leonid_danielson_0111_02.jpg

The annual Leonid meteor shower could produce a strong outburst this weekend for residents of eastern North America and Western Europe.

A brief surge of activity is expected begin around 11:45 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 18. In Europe, that corresponds to early Sunday morning, Nov. 19 at 4:45 GMT. The outburst could last up to two hours.

At the peak, people in these favorable locations could see up to 150 shooting stars per hour, or more than two per minute.

"We expect an outburst of more than 100 Leonids per hour," said Bill Cooke, the head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. Cooke notes that the shooting stars during this peak period are likely to be faint, however, created by very small meteoroid grains.

Elsewhere people will see the typically enjoyable Leonid display of a few meteors each hour, weather permitting and assuming dark skies away from city lights [Top 10 Leonids Facts].

Ancient debris

The Leonids are bits of debris left behind by repeated passages through the inner solar system of the comet Tempel-Tuttle. Each November, Earth crosses various trails of debris, which have spread out over centuries and millennia. Dense debris trails have caused incredible meteor storms in years, past, notably 1998 through 2002

Leonid Meteor Shower Facts

Since then the show has been back to normal. But recent computer modeling suggests a brief outburst.

"For parts of Europe, Africa and eastern North America, a far more prolific Leonid show could be in the offing this year," said Joe Rao, SPACE.com's Skywatching Columnist.

This year is not expected to be as memorable as some but well worth a look, astronomers say. The Leonids are known for producing bright fireballs, which could occur at any time.

The Leonids are so-named because they appear to emanate from Leo. The meteors can race across the sky in any direction, but trace each one back and it'll point to Leo.

Other opportunities

Unfortunately for viewers on the U.S. West Coast, the peak occurs before Leo rises. Outside of the expected peak, the best time to watch for Leonids is in the pre-dawn hours, when the constellation Leo is high in the sky.

The Leonids are actually underway already, ramping up gradually to the peak. The event continues for several days after the peak. So any morning during this time could offer up a handful of meteors each hour. Other shooting stars from other sources typically grace the sky at low rates, too.

Flurries of enhanced activity can come at any time. Cooke suggests taking a look in the pre-dawn hours Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Up to 10 shooting stars per hour are possible any of these mornings.

How to watch

Precise prediction of meteor showers is an infant science, so those in position to observe the possible outburst should plan to head out a half-hour before the predicted peak, allowing eyes time to adjust to the dark, and stay out for up to a half hour after the expected peak.

No special equipment is needed. Telescopes and binoculars are of no use.

A lounge chair or blanket and warm clothes are all you need [meteor watching tips]. Find a dark location with a clear view of the Eastern horizon. Lie back, face East, and scan as much of the sky as you can . You never know exactly where a Leonid will appear.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/061114_leonid_news.html

Figs
11-17-2006, 04:44 PM
About 5 years ago, right before dawn, they were incredible. At least this year there at a good hour....

FORD
11-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Bummer that it's all an Atlantic ocean kinda thing this time. now that the fucking rain actually stopped for a day or two, I might be able to see something if it were on this coast. :(

rustoffa
11-17-2006, 10:01 PM
If you're afforded the chance, go view something like this in a really rural area. Preferably, adjacent to a dairy farm. Bovine's will start crying 2-to-3 minutes out. No shit.

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I first discovered about meteor showers when I was 6. My parents had got me a small paperback book on astronomy. So I open it up, and it has a yearly schedule of approximate dates the showers usually occur.

It said the major one every year happens about the 2nd week of August. Something like the 12th....so when I read that I flipped out, because it was that very evening!!! :eek:

It was already dark, and was a cloudless night. What the fuck kinda cosmic synchronicity is dat???
:confused:

So anyway my family lived conveniently on the edge of town, away from the core areas and the light pollution (such as it was in 1966).

As soon as I read that I ran out the front door, and sat down on the lawn and watched the sky. Immediately I began to see them....LOTS of them....so I ran back in the house and screamed "HEY EVERYBODY THERE IS A METEOR SHOWER GOING ON!!!!"

So the whole family camped out in the front yard for the next 3 hours or so....my god....

Turns out, that was one of, if not THE, largest meteor showers in recent history.

Google it if you want......they now call it the 1966 meteor storm.
We saw sometimes 2-3 every 5 seconds....some of them were HUGE!
:eek:

It was only a month later I saw the very first airing of Star Trek....and the rest is history.

I have never seen such an intense meteor shower since then.

As a matter of fact, I am going to go outside right now and see what I can see....

And one more thing....if you ever are out at night, and you see a meteorITE hit the ground somewhere in your vicinity, go get it!

Obviously wait until it cools off, but those things are worth more than platinum! You get a large one and sell it to a museum or collector, and you can make a small fortune from them!

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Here...you can check some out here on ebay. Lotsa small ones, a few grams up to a pound or so.....

http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/meteorite_Meteorites-Tektites_W0QQsacatZ3239

rustoffa
11-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Dude, I believe you. Tell me you believe in the moon. Tides and shit. Not tides on the moon...you know what I'm sayin'.:)

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Ahh fucking hell.....

Cloud cover just swooped in and ruined my viewing after I was only out there about 15 minutes.

Perfect night too, as above the clouds it is perfectly clear. Probably right now in the low 40s.

So I got an Adirondack chair off of my porch, a blankie, and a bowl. Along with a spotlight in case any aminuls should suddently come crashing out of the woods (happens occasionally out here). But then, I gots my faithful dog to deal with that to some degree. Glad I do not live in Eastern Tennessee, where there are many bears, elk, mountain lions, and other things that like to eat large mammals for a snack.

But I digress.

I will wait awhile and go look out there again. The clouds seem to be moving about 20 mph or so. Hopefully it is just a small front of some kind and will go away!

Even though the main event is not until tomorrow, usually there still can be seen a few the night before and the night after.

I will be pissed off if it is cloudy tomorrow night. Not often this sort of thing falls on a weekend, when I have nothing better to do than stay up late, get hight, and sit outside staring at other worlds.......

Shit...current GOES satellite imagery shows some clouds moving into my area....

:mad:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/862dfa63b8.jpg

SparkieD
11-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Tiki and I have been looking forward to this. According to Jack Horkheimer (from Star Gazer formerly Star Hustler) peak time will be at 3 a.m. Sunday when Leo will be midway above the horizon on the east coast. Saturn is amid the stars in Leo and will also be visible to the naked eye this year. Although a telescope is useless to view a meteor shower, I'll be taking ours out to check out Saturn's rings.

http://www.jackstargazer.com/

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Dude, I believe you. Tell me you believe in the moon. Tides and shit. Not tides on the moon...you know what I'm sayin'.:)

No.

The moon is a figment of your imagination.

Now go back to bed.

You were having a bad dream.

;)

Hardrock69
11-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Fucking hell....it is completely overcast at the moment.

The Satellite imagery I saw shows a large break in the clouds just NorthWest of me, and the cloud cover is moving SouthEast, so if I am fortunate, I will get a break long enough to see something cool.

I always say "God makes the best light shows".
:cool:

rustoffa
11-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Looks good here.

Hang on.....

Hardrock69
11-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Heh...I just now went outside, and FINALLY it is a clear sky.

My only hope is there will be some remnant meteors this evening, but I will not hold my breath. Always my fucking luck for the past several years that every time there is supposed to be a great meteor shower the cloud cover moves in.
:mad: (&*%*^%#*^%$(^%(&^%(!!!!!!

God the deer here are getting confident. Walked out on the porch with my flashlight, turned it on, and there were two only 20 feet from my porch. All they did was stare at me .

So I turned it off and walked back inside.

SparkieD
11-20-2006, 04:18 PM
I didn't stay up late enough to see the shower in all it's glory. Tiki and I did see one that was very close and it exploded like fireworks just before hitting the ocean.