PDA

View Full Version : Democrat (Rep. Charles Rangel wants) to reinstate military draft

sadaist
11-19-2006, 04:09 PM
And you thought it would be the Republicans who would do it.

Senior Democrat renews call for military draft

Sun Nov 19, 12:40 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge
Iran and challenge
North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to
Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The
Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061119/pl_nm/usa_politics_draft_dc

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Sounds good to me....

Those calls for military action in Iran and North Korea, and continued action in Iraq will go down quickly when it's their sons and daughters going there to do the fighting....

LoungeMachine
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
As oppsed to the current BACK DOOR DRAFT?

Where men and women with lives, families, careers, roots, and plans, having ALREADY SERVED THEIR SERVICE are getting called back without a sayso????????????????????????????????

Which is more fair.

You guys started this war, and now America wants US to finish it.

Since you failed.

FORD
11-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Tell Chimpy he can have his war with Iran if Jenna & Tonic are the first ones on the front line. And tell Hillary that Chelsea will be number # 3 if she votes for the shit.

Nitro Express
11-19-2006, 06:44 PM
They will just use the family money to relocate. Rich kids can always dodge the draft.

Nitro Express
11-19-2006, 06:46 PM
This isn't Israel so no way would people stand for women being drafted. They never were before in the US. Good luck getting a two sex draft passed.

FORD
11-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, since Likud is behind the Iran bullshit anyway, then why not do the draft like they do it?

Mary Cheney in combat? Why the Hell not?

Nickdfresh
11-19-2006, 07:22 PM
It's not "Democrats," it a singular Democrat in Charles Rangel that wants to reinstate the draft. His bill was voted on by the Republican congress shortly before the Iraq War to show that we really didn't need that many troops to fight the war...

Fairwrning
11-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Is this the same guy that said "who wants to live in Mississippi"???

I bet he has no kids...

I think we should send convicts over...

FORD
11-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Fairwrning

I bet he has no kids...

Just for the record.....

Congressman Rangel served in the U.S. Army from 1948-52, during which time he fought in Korea and was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star. Congressman Rangel has authored several pieces of legislation to benefit minority and women veterans, including a successful bill that established the Office of Minority Affairs Within the Department of Veterans Affairs.

{snip}

Congressman Rangel lives in Harlem with his wife Alma, who is a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus Spouses and participates in many civic and community organizations. Congressman and Mrs. Rangel have two children.

From his official bio page:
http://rangel.house.gov/bio.shtml

sadaist
11-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
It's not "Democrats," it a singular Democrat in Charles Rangel that wants to reinstate the draft.

Maybe you should change the thread title....

nevermind

One Democrat does not represent all Democrats? That's fine. Just make sure you apply that same thinking to the Republicans.

FORD
11-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by sadaist

nevermind

One Democrat does not represent all Democrats? That's fine. Just make sure you apply that same thinking to the Republicans.

But this one Democrat, a combat veteran of the Korean war, has more of an understanding of war than the entire chickenhawk BCE cabinet combined.

Fairwrning
11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I just see this as somewhat "petty" if you will..although I see he proposed this before we went into Iraq...
What ages were his kids..and how old are they now?

Fairwrning
11-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I pretty much feel we should set a date and leave..no matter if its a year from now or 10..within 1 year of us leaving..Iraq will go right back to what it was..

Nickdfresh
11-19-2006, 08:17 PM

nevermind

Which Republicans didn't initially agree with the War? Lincoln Chafee?

And no genius, one Democrat (who is not in any leadership capacity in the House) does not represent all Democrats. This is not a official "platform" position is it?!

Feel free to prove otherwise...

FORD
11-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Fairwrning
I just see this as somewhat "petty" if you will..although I see he proposed this before we went into Iraq...
What ages were his kids..and how old are they now?

Bio doesn't give any specifics on the ages or names of the kids. Can't really blame the family for that, with right wing freaks running around sending anthrax threats through the mail and shit like that.

The point is here that Rangel doesn't REALLY want a draft. He wants the Chimpministration and their supporters to look at the complete USELESSNESS of wars being fought on foreign soil for motives that have absolutely nothing to do with the security of the United States of America.

Maybe he understands that a little better because he fought in such a war himself?

Or maybe, as the congressman who represents a predominately lower income district such as Harlem, he knows that the poor end up making a disproportionate sacrifice in a war which benefits the rich.

Either way, if the BCE insists on an invasion of Iran, there WILL be a draft, regardless of who writes the legislation. And the consequences of that is something EVERY American needs to take very seriously.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Related...

Key Policymakers Remain at Odds Over Iraq

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 19, 2006; 7:01 PM

The incoming Democratic chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee said today that he will push to renew the military draft, as lawmakers in both parties sharpened their criticisms of the situation in Iraq and struggled for consensus and solutions.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a presidential contender, leveled one of his harshest assessments yet, saying U.S. troops are "fighting and dying for a failed policy." He renewed his call for more U.S. troops in Iraq and said it is immoral to keep them fighting at the current deployment levels.

And Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), the incoming chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, repeated today his view that troop withdrawals must begin within four to six months.

The varying proposals underscored the extent to which key policymakers remain at odds two weeks after voters registered deep discontent over the war and restored Democrats to power in Congress.

Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) has long advocated a return to the draft, but his efforts drew little attention during the 12 years that House Democrats were in the minority. Starting in January, however, he will chair the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee. Today he said "you bet your life" he will renew his drive for a draft.

"I will be introducing that bill as soon as we start the new session," Rangel said on CBS's "Face the Nation." He portrayed the draft, suspended since 1973, as a means of spreading military obligations more equitably and prompting political leaders to think twice before starting wars.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," said Rangel, a Korean War veteran. "If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft."

Rangel drew modest support for his draft proposal in recent years, and it was unclear whether its prospects might be any better in the 110th Congress.

Sen. Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.), who will be the Senate majority leader, agrees that the U.S. military is stretched too thin and "the burden of meeting the nation's security has not been shared equally by all segments of our society," said Reid spokesman Jim Manley. But Reid "believes that these problems are best addressed by making needed adjustments in the all-volunteer force," Manley said.

On ABC's "This Week," McCain reiterated his argument that the United States faces a catastrophic setback in Iraq unless it deploys more troops to reduce sectarian violence and stabilize the country. "We have to have additional forces, or we will be playing whack-a-mole," he said.

McCain said in a speech Thursday that it is immoral to keep troops fighting merely to "delay our defeat for a few months or a year." He was asked yesterday by ABC's George Stephanopoulos, "Isn't it currently immoral to keep Marines and soldiers, other service people, in Iraq?" McCain replied: "Yes, it is." But the war still can be won with renewed effort and resources, he said.

Lawmakers are anxiously awaiting recommendations next month from an Iraq study group co-chaired by former secretary of state James A. Baker III and former House member Lee H. Hamilton. If the group does not advocate sending more troops to Iraq, McCain said, then he would support a troop withdrawal "if, at the point, I think that we have exhausted every option and that we are doomed to failure. I don't know if it'll be at that point or not."

Although not asked directly about the draft, McCain said, "We've got the best military we've ever had in our all-volunteer force."

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) agreed with McCain, saying on "Face the Nation" that more troops should be sent to Iraq and that a military draft is not necessary.

Levin, speaking on CNN's "Late Edition," said the United States must start withdrawing from Iraq to pressure Iraqis to assume control of their nation.

"We must tell the Iraqis that we would begin, starting in four to six months, a phased reduction of our troops," Levin said. Otherwise, he said, "they're going to continue to have the false assumption that we are there in some kind of an open-ended way . . . which takes them off the hook."

On the political front today, Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) said on "Fox News Sunday" that he is considering another presidential bid in 2008 despite widespread criticism of what he called "a botched joke" that seemed to denigrate troops in Iraq.

And Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) -- who won a contest for House majority leader over a candidate backed by the incoming speaker, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) -- said he was confident there will not be retaliation against his supporters.

"We're going to talk about that," Hoyer said on "This Week." "But I'm sure that's not going to happen."

In a secret-ballot election by House Democrats on Thursday, Hoyer defeated Rep. John Murtha (Pa.), 149 to 86.

© 2006 The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/content/article/2006/11/19/congress.html) Company

[i]Oh. BTW, this was on the front page Sade...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
As oppsed to the current BACK DOOR DRAFT?

Ahhh...my favorite kind of draft...

sadaist
11-19-2006, 09:47 PM

And no genius, one Democrat (who is not in any leadership capacity in the House) does not represent all Democrats. This is not a official "platform" position is it?!

No shit dickwad. It's called sarcasm. I pointed it out because you changed the thread title because you didn't like it (WOW, there's something new for the Front Line). Yet whenever a Republican says or does something you disagree with, it represents all Republicans. Fucking hypocrite. You make me sick.

sadaist
11-19-2006, 09:50 PM

Feel free to prove otherwise...

"Senior Democrat"

"An influential Democratic lawmaker"

"incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee"

"to head the House Ways and Means Committee"

Ellyllions
11-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
This isn't Israel so no way would people stand for women being drafted. They never were before in the US. Good luck getting a two sex draft passed.

Now, this I gotta quote.
MARK MY WORDS: If there is any slight hint of "sexism" in a draft proposal, the squall from feminists will be akin to a million cats getting their tails stepped on all at once.

See, women bitched because they were being released from active duty in the event of a pregnancy...so, the military spent ump-teen dollars producing maternity cammies and realigned the policies. THEN, women turned around an bitched again when those that wanted to be released from active duty couldn't be in the event that they got pregnant. Basically, they wanted to be able to decide.

There will have to be a female contingency for the draft and I guarantee that it will have to be left up to the female to participate.

Women just completely baffle me. Sorry ladies but I am NOT a feminist.

Ellyllions
11-20-2006, 08:13 AM
To add:
If this gets passed, the Dems can kiss the '08 Presidency good-bye.

knuckleboner
11-20-2006, 08:22 AM
there's NO CHANCE that a draft gets passed.

rangle's got the bully pulpit, since he's in line to be ways and means chair. so he'll introduce the bill, and, if he's pushy, get it out of committee. but it goes down in the house floor. he's doing this for the debate. period.

and it never gets to a floor vote in the senate.

Guitar Shark
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
there's NO CHANCE that a draft gets passed.

Agreed.

FORD
11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't think Rangel expects it to pass. He just wants to slap the Republicans and the DLC'ers upside the head with a reality check (i.e. "what if it was YOUR kid over there")

Guitar Shark
11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree with that, too.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-20-2006, 02:27 PM
And what about that Charles Rengel is a pederast and wants to have unconsented sex with all males who live within a 20 mile radius of the Space Needle? Do you agree with that too???

Jesus, Shark, you are such a yes-man...

Nickdfresh
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
No #### dickwad. It's called sarcasm. I pointed it out because you changed the thread title because you didn't like it (WOW, there's something new for the Front Line). Yet whenever a Republican says or does something you disagree with, it represents all Republicans. ####### hypocrite. You make me sick.

Here you are since you must be having a "heavy day"...
http://www.ontex.be/products/tampons.gif
Is this yet another time that you're wrong and can't back what you say with any specific example you stupid bitch?

Nickdfresh
11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
"Senior Democrat"

"An influential Democratic lawmaker"

"incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee"

"to head the House Ways and Means Committee"

You said "DemocratS" as in plural, as in the entire Congress Feltchy McDumfvck...

This is not a Democratic platform, it's Rangel's personal pet-issue. And one I happen to agree with you crybaby.

Calm down, mmm'kay??????

Oh, and BTW, they're not "reinstating" the draft either, it's just a piece of legislation. This is only a Bill, and he'll stay that way until he's on capitol hill...

http://www.jacksheldon.com/school2.gif

Check out School House Rocks™ for further information...

DLR'sCock
11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
He doens't really want the draft I think, and he knows it will lose, but he is trying to make a political point and bring up the serisousness of going to war, too many people take the subject far too lightly whne it's not thmeselves and not their kids going to war. The debate as is too serious.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
He doens't really want the draft I think, and he knows it will lose, but he is trying to make a political point and bring up the serisousness of going to war, too many people take the subject far too lightly whne it's not thmeselves and not their kids going to war. The debate as is too serious.

It is interesting though, Michael Moore did a similar thing in Fahrenheit 9/11. when he went walking around Congress with military signup sheets ??

LoungeMachine
11-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Here's a thought....

Keep it all voluntary, however......

KEEP YOUR FUCKING PROMISES D.O.D.

Pay them right, arm them right, treat them right, and when in need FUCKING TAKE CARE OF THEM RIGHT.

Spend more on education, treatment, rehabilitation.

And if you're going to call on The National Guard.

MAKE SURE IT'S TO GUARD OUR NATION, not build, police, and secure others.....

Switch84
11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
It's not "Democrats," it a singular Democrat in Charles Rangel that wants to reinstate the draft. His bill was voted on by the Republican congress shortly before the Iraq War to show that we really didn't need that many troops to fight the war...

DOUBLE STANDARD! He's YOURS, like it or not. When you have a nutcase in your party's midst, you can't toss him aside and think that'll be it. He's yours, warts and all, just the same way you hypocritical Libbies like to slam the Republican party for their few village idiots!

And EVERY PARTY has them, Darling Nikki.

FORD
11-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Why do so many miss the entire point of what Rangel is doing here?

Sure, a Republican could have introduced a draft bill, but they would have simply passed it, with all loopholes for rich kids intact, and amped up the war.

What Rangel is really looking for here is to debate the issue, based on a cold hard reality that yes, Senator Clinton, yes Senator Biden, yes pResident Chimp, YOUR kids could be drafted to go to Iraq. Or fight another battle for the paranoid Likud cocksuckers in Iran. Do you still want the war?

I support his idea as it stands now. If it comes close to an actual draft, I would have to change my mind.

LoungeMachine
11-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
DOUBLE STANDARD! He's YOURS, like it or not. When you have a nutcase in your party's midst, you can't toss him aside and think that'll be it. He's yours, warts and all, just the same way you hypocritical Libbies like to slam the Republican party for their few village idiots!

What an absolute crock of steaming shit with diced carrots and onions.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Irony, line 1

Warham
11-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I support his idea as it stands now. If it comes close to an actual draft, I would have to change my mind.

Now, now, FORD.

You can't just go half-way. It's either all or nothing. ;)

FORD
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
OK then..... Draft all the kids of Republican warmongers.

LoungeMachine
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM
OK then..... Draft all the kids of Republican warmongers.

Canada's population would suddenly swell.

Warham
11-22-2006, 06:52 PM
What about the Democrats who voted not to pull the troops out the last time they voted on it in Congress?

Wasn't the vote 432-2 or something similar?

FORD
11-22-2006, 07:30 PM
That wasn't a real vote, and you know that as well as the shithead neocon who wrote the resolution did.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Switch84

He's mine? Well indeed, Rangel is my boy! I agree with his sentiment wholeheartedly, and he's far from a "nutcase." He's making a valid point, that's all. I guess it needs to be explained for those that cannot see the proverbial forest through the trees...

But he's still only ONE Democrat, and this thread fraudulently presented this as some sort of Democratic platform. And apparently, a few are dumb enough to fall for it...

Nickdfresh
11-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Why do so many miss the entire point of what Rangel is doing here?

Because some people are linear thinking idiots that need to be spoon-fed everything. No wonder why they watch Fox News...