PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen II's "You're No Good" Resurrect a Forgotten Classic or Keep it Buried?

firestarter
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
dave never plays it live as a solo artist, neither did van hagar, dave and vh only played it on the 79 tour and the 1980 invasion tour. the radio never plays it. is it buried for a good reason or is it still a kickass classic vh tune??

BALLYJUNKIE
11-21-2006, 10:38 PM
THE GREAT THING ABOUT VAN HALEN WAS WHEN THEY DID A COVER SONG ,IT SOUNDED NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL ,THEY MADE IT THIER OWN. A TRUE CLASSIC IS NEVER FORGOTTON .

Matt White
11-21-2006, 10:42 PM
IT gets played in DETROIT all the time.......

CLASSIC VAN HALEN cover......

EVH does the "chime" thing in it.......a million guitarist have ripped that move off.......

They live video from '79 is KILLER

Romeo Delight
11-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Is there a better cover anywhere?

I think not.

I agree with Mr White...that live clip could be my favourite live Van Halen cut of all.

TAKIN WHISKEY
11-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Van Halen 2 was a kick ass album!

Romeo Delight
11-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I agree.

It is a shame that some of the sonic quality of the album is not up to par of the others.

Light up the Sky has one of the best endings of any Van Halen song.

Terry
11-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Have always enjoyed that tune. CVH "Van Halenized" every cover they ever did...you ain't gonna confuse it with Linda R's, that's fo' sho'!

But I can definitely think of other CVH original tunes I'd wanna hear should they reunite and play live, rather than that excellent cover.

Diamondjimi
11-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
It is a shame that some of the sonic quality of the album is not up to par of the others.
I disagree. I like the clarity and isolation of the individual instruments. I think VH II (like ALL CVH) sounds the best played LOUD AS FUCK!:cool:

The remasters sound KILLER .....

For sure. Their "planned" endings were smokin.

"You're No Good" has always been a favourite of mine. A very overlooked CVH tune.

FORD
11-22-2006, 01:12 AM
"You're No Good" would be OK, but I'd really rather hear the song that it originated from, "Down In Flames".

BrownSound1
11-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by FORD
"You're No Good" would be OK, but I'd really rather hear the song that it originated from, "Down In Flames".

I agree 100%. "Down In Flames" is a far superior tune. Oh and to clarify for those who don't know, a lot of the guitar work Ed used in the cover of "You're No Good" was originally in "Down In Flames." The volume swells and the feel of the main riff were what he used. Both are in the same key, so it transposed pretty easy. I've often wondered why they didn't record "Down In Flames" properly. It would have been an instant classic, no doubt about it.

Hell I want to hear Light Up the Sky too. Push Comes to Shove would be awesome too, as well as Dirty Movies. It'll never happen though.

Revan
11-22-2006, 02:46 AM
Maybe someday they'll surprise us with an oddballs-only concert/tour. Maybe if all the rumors pan out, they could throw a few things in there, like You're No Good, just to mix it up a bit. It'd be nice, considering a lot of bands are doing that these days.

Kilkmaru
11-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I agree 100%. "Down In Flames" is a far superior tune. Oh and to clarify for those who don't know, a lot of the guitar work Ed used in the cover of "You're No Good" was originally in "Down In Flames." The volume swells and the feel of the main riff were what he used. Both are in the same key, so it transposed pretty easy. I've often wondered why they didn't record "Down In Flames" properly. It would have been an instant classic, no doubt about it.

Hell I want to hear Light Up the Sky too. Push Comes to Shove would be awesome too, as well as Dirty Movies. It'll never happen though.

Is there a demo version of Down in Flames? iv only heard the live version /.

binnie
11-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I love the screams on that one!

It's got a really unique vibe to it that only CVH could do as well...

RobTheCradle
11-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Good song, but I'd rather hear just about every other song on VHII before it.

ULTRAMAN VH
11-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by FORD

I think "Down In Flames" should have been put on VH 2 instead of the cover tune. It is far superior to "You're No Good".

BrownSound1
11-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Kilkmaru
Is there a demo version of Down in Flames? iv only heard the live version /.

You know, I don't remember ever hearing a studio demo, but I could be wrong.

Jimmy Jingles
11-22-2006, 11:22 AM
"Light Up The Sky"

Killer fucking song! I love Alex's little drum solo in the middle...kicks my arse hard.

RobTheCradle
11-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
"Light Up The Sky"

Killer fucking song! I love Alex's little drum solo in the middle...kicks my arse hard.

Yep. And let's be honest who doesn't air-drum Alex's single cymbal hit before the solo on Outta Love Again.

Vinnie Velvet
11-22-2006, 12:01 PM
I love "You're No Good".

However, I'm with FORD on this one, I like the original song it came from, "Down in Flames".

Awesome, awesome tune.

CVH at its finest.

That would be great if Dave and the boys pulled that one out of the vault and played it live.

nosuchluck
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
'You're No Good' rocks! Best cover I've ever heard, without a doubt.

Best they leave it alone (if 'they' still exist') - don't think Ed has the technique or tone to pull it off anymore.

indeedido
11-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I love all of VHII including You're no good. I agree, they van halenized it.

firestarter
11-22-2006, 12:49 PM
dave screams on you're no good is killer!!

lztom
11-22-2006, 01:56 PM
I always loved how they opened VH II with that. Just a completely nonsense choice of opening song for ANY other rock group yet it works perfectly for Van Halen.

Loons The Great
11-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Well that sho' ain't Linda Rondstadt style I tell ya!!

Well I'm feelin' bettah
Nah that we're through
Feelin' bettah, I'm ovah you

Down In Flames iz cool, too...played it on the Japan Tour '78 I do belieb...

rustoffa
11-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Moving to songs and albums.

Simon Ribeiro
11-24-2006, 07:56 AM
"You're No Good" is an awesome track.
The bass line, the guitar tone and solo, the drum patterns, the vocal and the backing vocals and the screams. Everything is there. A perfect CVH cover tune. It still rocks!

jharp84
11-30-2006, 04:21 PM
I have japan tour 78 w/down in flames live on cd and studio version if anyone wants to trade etc... jharp84@hotmail.com

AnnLouise
11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't know if I like this song so much just because I like the entire album so much, it's my favorite VH album and I wonder if I had heard the song more without the rest of them if I would have liked it as much. If that makes any sense! But I agree, it totally is a cover that they did something to, rather than a lot of covers you hear that are just rehashes of the original, like what's the point of even doing it. Any way take care, I am new here so nice to meet you guys.
PS another thing l like about this song, the way it is done slow rather than a little more upbeat like Linda Rondstadt's version (which is still pretty good I think) it really captures more of the way you would tell someone they are "No good". Just my thinking I guess.

jharp84
11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Well said! Deep thoughts and verse!! Better then a drunk like me!!!

PlexiBrown
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM

In Light Up The Sky, I like that little guitar interlude part Eddie does while Dave is singing before the guitar solo.