PDA

View Full Version : Just Like Paradise...why is Dave such a fan of this cut and are you?Well well well...

Loons The Great
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Why has he insisted on keeping this pop clunker in the setlist the last few years?

Is it because it's his last solo hit('less ya count Slam Dunk...)?

Does he think the tune is motorvatin'?

Maybe I should just be happy he ain't playin' Stand Up...:D

Loons The Great
11-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Rockin' steady in her daddy's car
She got the stereo with the big guitars
And that's all right (all right)

I got the itch and a restless soul
She gone with the wind
Gonna go for broke tonight
And that's all night

Girl, we've been meant for this
Since we were born
No problems now (the coast is clear)
It's just the calm before the storm

This must be just like livin' in paradise
And I don't want to go home

Suzy, Suzy, girl, for cryin' out loud
You got all the right moves
You make me eat my heart out
Nightly and that's all right with me!

No special favors make it out to cash
We'll spend it later
Got to make this romance last that's it, that's it

Some folks say `easy come is easy go'
(And some folks say)
But one night ain't enough for me
Girl, hang on tight and don't let go

This must be just like livin' in paradise
And I don't want to go home

Dan
11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Summer Holidays comes to mind when I hear this song.

At The Summer Batch,not a care in the World don't have to worry about work etc.

Drinking Beer and playing Cricket and getting a allround Tan.lol

BTW....I'm Just A Crazy Kiwi From The Heat.

Nickdfresh
11-24-2006, 01:00 AM
O I love the song man. It like heralds joy for me. Stop ripping on the pop-sensibilities of "Skyscraper" and being such a downer brother...

binnie
11-24-2006, 03:37 AM
I do like that song, but it hasn't aged that well.

I can think of many songs from his solo career I'd rather hear him play.

Great thread Loons...

EbDawson
11-24-2006, 04:47 AM
I always dug the tune. I would rather he drop Jump from his setlist.

indeedido
11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
That track rocks. If you have a great system to play it on, the bass is killer.

Cato
11-29-2006, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
I would rather he drop Jump from his setlist.
me 2. it's a song which is popular only among the less than average fans like Combine.

RobTheCradle
11-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Great song. Suck my cock. It's better than anything any of you cunts could write.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
JLP can eat my ass. Whole.

EbDawson
11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Cato
it's a song which is popular only among the less than average fans like Combine.

You mean Carbine?:D

Dan
11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
JLP can eat my ass. Whole.

How Rude.:)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dan
How Rude.:)

Quite.

Dan
11-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Quite.

Put another Candle on your Cake Asshole.

ALMOSTsaved
11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I know it was a hit, but it was never one of my favorite solo tunes. I'd prefer he bring out "A Little Ain't Enough" or "Baby's On Fire."

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Dan
Put another Candle on your Cake Asshole.

And I'd like to put another candle IN your cake.

I always was intrigued with the idea of Kiwi Pie...

Dan
11-30-2006, 11:09 PM
And I'd like to put another candle IN your cake.

I always was intrigued with the idea of Kiwi Pie...

Kiwi Pie or Hair Pie?

JJMcClure
12-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Love this tune. Great summer track. Gotta be one of the most iconic videos as well with one of Vai's more "tasteful" solos.

Terry
12-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Obviously he's gonna keep playing it on solo tours because it's his biggest solo hit, along with his Cali Girls remake...I liked it well enough, I suppose, although I only tend to listen to it nowadays if I'm playing The Best in my car...

Great video, but the song just kinda confused me at the time after the slam-bam big rock of EEAS. It did manage to have a lot of punch despite the keyboards, but I wouldn't put it among Vai's finest moments with Dave - this tune and Stand Up, the two singles from the album, were always among the weakest tracks for me.

Loons The Great
02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Wella...this tune won't be in the setlist in 2007 nah yez yez...that's fo' sho'...:D

bantonelli
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I assume that Dave thinks about a certain "Suzy" when he sings it....must have been a good memory, which may be why he favors it.

It does sound alittle too "Pop" as well as JUMP.

I wanna hear Dave change the mood to do Black Sand...the setlist needs little sexy, erotic mood and that song is purrrrfect ;)

Anonymous
02-16-2007, 07:36 AM
The song certainly hasn't aged well... but its upbeat and general "feel good" attitude ROCK!

There isn't much I don't like about the song... even the synths ain't so bad, though they're probably the reason why it sounds dated.

Still, 'tis a good 80's hard rock song. I likes it.

Cheers! :bottle:

binnie
02-16-2007, 07:44 AM
If it was arranged differently though, it could come out and kick ass live...

Anonymous
02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
It's a sunny day in Algarve... end of February, summer's starting... the heat's startin' to drive me crazy again. :cato:

Uhuhuhuhuhuhu!

Anyways, I just had lunch, and while driving back to work- I hate when I have to work in the afternoon, damn! - I had David Lee's The Best on the car's CD player... and after blasting thru Yankee Rose and A Lil' Ai'nt Enough, in comes Just Like Paradise... shit, 'tis the perfect song to hear in a day like this - and we're still missing the girls in bikini walking up and down the avenue!

I had to roll ALL windows open and raise the volume while singing that shit at the top of my lungs all the while... it made SO MUCH SENSE!

So, I guess that tune needs the right place & weather to get the most out of it... 'cuz I've heard it all winter, and even in the summer before moving to Algarve - where I lived it was pretty dry, right in the midst of the rolling plains of Alentejo, where the sun can fry an egg in a puddle of water - the song WAS good, but never THIS good!

Perfect soundtrack for cruisin' down the avenue on a sunny afternoon... where's those bikini-clad Brit birds??? Oi! 'Tis summer herre, already - come on down, babeeeeeyyyzzz ah!

"This must be just like livin' in paradise" - ain't it the truth?

Cheers! :bottle:

DavidLeeNatra
03-07-2007, 08:19 AM
my daughter loves it...along with unchained and dance the night away...she didn't want hot for teacher or panama...

she is 12 so it's ok for me

Loons The Great
04-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
O I love the song man. It like heralds joy for me. Stop ripping on the pop-sensibilities of "Skyscraper" and being such a downer brother...

The aliases on this site are a downer, brother.

chi-town324
04-14-2007, 06:28 PM
way, way over played...not a bad song , just sick of hearing it..he has to use it on tour he has no choice..but i would rather hear " BIG TROUBLE" 100 times to Paradise

Nickdfresh
04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm an alias for "The Five!"

indeedido
04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I love that song. I think it has aged nicely if you have a bumpin stereo. That bass line thumps

bastardog
04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't see anything bad with the song

Figs
04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
It's not bad, and it was one of his hits. But dumping Yankee Rose and keeping Paradise is not a decision I favor.....

Jérôme Frenchise
04-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Why JLP?

The answer is: "CODA", the last chapter in Dave's book.
All the folks on the jammed bridge playing the radio where he was expected for a broadcast and decided to RUN through it to a van waiting for him. People waving fivers as he was jogging the couple of miles, all tuned to the same fucking radio station, playing "Just like Paradise"... Enough for him to dig it in particular, isn't it?

Read Dave's book again, buds! :cool:

BTW, I xeroxed the chapter last year and used it for one of my classes, and the students dug it like hell! :)
Before we studied the text, I showed them a few video extracts - so that they knew who it was about a little better - and... welll... you know, today's kids, mh? Well, I discreetly looked at their faces: they just went positively nuts!
Nothing wrong with nowadays' youth, they only need to be shown the right stuff. :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
04-28-2007, 10:55 AM
"waving fivers"... :o I meant the folks in the traffic jam held up their hands for Dave to hit them.
I'd forgotten a "fiver" was nothing but a $5 bill.