PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding The EBMM EVH/AXIS Series?

MAX
11-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Ok, I don't know the saga nor what's up? However, I see that Ernie Ball/Music Man still produces the axes that EVH "created" or helped to design as his signature model?

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/build/build_axis.php

Anyone wanna fill me in cos I always found them to be beautiful axes. It's only now and that I'm waaaay back into the game regarding instruments have I noticed something that's obviously gone on for a decade. I still don't like those Peavey Wolfgangs of his. :uck: However, are the EBMM AXIS' the same axe that EVH originally designed prior to dropping his drawers to Sterling Ball's wife?

Again, I'm beyond keen on adding an EBMMEVH/AXIS or a Meanstreet replica to my collection. Just wanna know the facts and the backstory? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all. :)

BrownSound1
11-25-2006, 01:27 AM
As far as I know they are exactly the same, except now you have more options to choose from.

MAX
11-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Hey BS1,

Do you happen to own one or have you ever? I'm seriously considering buying a Mean Street Replica cos I've always wanted one. However, if those Axis models are the REAL DEAL, I wouldn't mind bucking up and getting one.

It's just weird? Ed totally "designs" those fuckers, which were both unique and innovative (Heck, his EBMM models go for thousands as I'm sure you're well aware?) guitars and he just lets them go to make those crappy Peavey's? Sorry but I think the design and feel of those Wolfgangs suck ass. Those EBMM axes at least feel good and like a quality guitar, IMO.

BrownSound1
11-25-2006, 03:16 AM
I've played one, but never owned one. To me they felt the exact same, and sounded the same...only thing different was it didn't have EVH's name on it. :D I don't blame them at all, those could be the best selling guitars Music Man ever made.

Peavey's the same way...not only do they still have the 5150, which is now called the 6505, but they also have a guitar that is basically a Wolfgang. It's called the Hartley Peavey Signature. LMAO I really hate that company.

As far as EVH designing the guitars...I figure he had some ideas as to what he wanted, but I doubt seriously that he had the things drawn up when he got to Ernie Ball. The neck is a copy of his Kramer neck, and the body is a mixture of a Tele and Les Paul. Pickups...shit DiMarzio made those. He probably told them a ballpark tone, and they would wind it and let him try it out until he was happy. Basically, "I'll let you use my name if you incorporate these ideas of mine into a guitar."

MAX
11-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I've played one, but never owned one. To me they felt the exact same, and sounded the same...only thing different was it didn't have EVH's name on it. :D I don't blame them at all, those could be the best selling guitars Music Man ever made.

Peavey's the same way...not only do they still have the 5150, which is now called the 6505, but they also have a guitar that is basically a Wolfgang. It's called the Hartley Peavey Signature. LMAO I really hate that company.

As far as EVH designing the guitars...I figure he had some ideas as to what he wanted, but I doubt seriously that he had the things drawn up when he got to Ernie Ball. The neck is a copy of his Kramer neck, and the body is a mixture of a Tele and Les Paul. Pickups...shit DiMarzio made those. He probably told them a ballpark tone, and they would wind it and let him try it out until he was happy. Basically, "I'll let you use my name if you incorporate these ideas of mine into a guitar."

I completely agree with your entire post. Still. those EBMM's were good looking, feeling and sounding guitars. I just never felt like bucking up the $$$ at the time cos I was so anti-VH. Also, we're close to the same age and I just have this thing about Peaveys. They were always the cheapo shit. Nothing that anyone wanted, just the only thing we could afford as kids. Meaning amps and PA's. However, ther was no way in hell I'd ever wanna own a guitar built by them and I think those Wolfgangs are one of the ugliest designs made by a guitar company EVER!!! Ughhh!!!

If I'm somehow or in someway insulting someone who owns one... Well and in my best Rodney Dangerfield impersonation from "Caddyshack...."

"You buy a guitar like that, I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup!!! Oh, but it looks good on you though... :rolleyes: :p "

sparky1358
11-25-2006, 11:32 AM
The ernie ball music man axis is an exceptional guitar in every way. The fit and finish is awesome. Well worth the price. Well worht the money.

Check ebay you can find an occasional lightly used one for under 900. New they go in the 1400 dollar range.

Some of the colors are harder to get but if you look you can get the one you want.

estang74
11-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I own an axis supersport and it plays great, sounds just as good as a les paul and it's about 5 pounds lighter. I use it as my main guitar on stage and I do around 200 shows a year and I have little work done it each year(a tune up I guess you can call it) Ebay is the way to go to pick up these guitars because they are way underpriced. Hope this helps.

MAX
11-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1

After reading this again, do you think Edward just sold out his involvements with said instruments, was paid substancially or what gives? Just curious cos again, I hate those Wolfgangs (no offense to those who happen to own one) but they must somewhat sell for the item to still be in production, no?

Also, were those "Charvel" art series of his just specifically done for that Van Hagar tour of two years ago?

Damn, I'm now bombarding you with questions but what about those Peavey amps "specifically made for him?" Do they still exist and yet under another name? I own a late 80's half stack myself and don't need nor am I looking for anything else. just curious? :confused:

Matt White
11-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Both the EBMM & THe WOLFGANG have necks that were digitaliy copied from the EVH 5150 guitar...both have pickups specificaly designed by EVH......

http://www.accordo.it/upload/1073343709/peavey.jpg

http://www.andysmusiconline.com/photos/Peavey_Wolfgang_ST_Solid-2.jpg

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/fit,400by400/00478640-1a6b28b1e0a2aac0854168a206f49e1e.jpg

Are they the most "beautiful" guitar ever made? NO

They do have their charm...and play like a dream...best sounding pickups I've ever heard.....

THe DAVID LEE ROTH D-TUNA is also a cool bonus....

sparky1358
11-26-2006, 03:08 PM
the old peavey 5150 amps are now renamed the 6505. As far as I know the same exact specs of the 5150 II.

Dont have one but thats my understanding.

jhale667
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by MAX

"You buy a guitar like that, I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup!!! Oh, but it looks good on you though... :rolleyes: :p "

LMAO :lol:

Never was a fan of the Wolfgang either....like MAX says, no offense to anyone that owns one, but they are butt-ugly IMO. :rolleyes:

Nitro Express
11-27-2006, 01:10 AM
My main squeeze is a Musicman Axis and you can't go wrong. Same pickups and everything as the EVH model except the pickup switch is moved to the volume knob area and there is a tone control.

The Peavey 5150 amps are decent if you have good tubes and have a wide sweep bias pot put in. Peavey has made some good amps and some shit. I really don't get the hate of the company. As far as customer service goes, they blow everyone else away in that regard.

It's not the Peavey quality that bugs me but they do have a real knack for making some UGLY stuff. Marshall stuff always looks classy for the most part.

Nitro Express
11-27-2006, 01:17 AM
If you don't want to spend $1300 on a Musicman have Warmoth route you out a swamp ash Strat body and drop a Seymour Duncan 59 humbucker in it. I like the Mighty Mite 9.5-12" radius neck.

Either go with an original Floyd Rose or a Fender Stratocaster bridge. Eithr way the thing is going to kick ass!

The paint scheme is up to you.

Don Corleone
12-17-2006, 04:36 AM
[i]
As far as EVH designing the guitars...I figure he had some ideas as to what he wanted, but I doubt seriously that he had the things drawn up when he got to Ernie Ball. The neck is a copy of his Kramer neck, and the body is a mixture of a Tele and Les Paul. Pickups...shit DiMarzio made those. He probably told them a ballpark tone, and they would wind it and let him try it out until he was happy. Basically, "I'll let you use my name if you incorporate these ideas of mine into a guitar." [/B]

Yeah. The body shape was already designed by EB before Ed got to the factory, in fact there is a pic of Ed with a very early unfinished prototype floating around where you clearly see the name "Axis" on the headstock (the guitar was designed with the Axis name before Ed got his hands on it).

With regards to the body (other than designing the pick ups) - the only input Ed really had on that guitar was the positioning of the switch and the volume pot.

As for the Peavey Amp - I find the irony delicious that they basically retained the amp as Ed screwed Soldano over before he went to Peavey with the designs.

MAX
12-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Yeah. The body shape was already designed by EB before Ed got to the factory, in fact there is a pic of Ed with a very early unfinished prototype floating around where you clearly see the name "Axis" on the headstock (the guitar was designed with the Axis name before Ed got his hands on it).

With regards to the body (other than designing the pick ups) - the only input Ed really had on that guitar was the positioning of the switch and the volume pot.

As for the Peavey Amp - I find the irony delicious that they basically retained the amp as Ed screwed Soldano over before he went to Peavey with the designs.

WOW!!! Thanks for all of the imput guys!!! Seriously!!! :cool:

I swear Edward lied then somewhere along the road cos I know I have an old interview of his discussing the body and he claimed it was his idea for a hybrid/cross of a Les Paul and a Tele for that axe?

Then again, maybe that's the body they'd already shown him, he said "fine" and where's my check?

Nitro Express
12-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone

Mike Soldano is a nice guy but I think Ed playing a Soldano on F.U.C.K. actually threw some business Mike's way. Soldano is a small manufacturing opperation. His amps have a great reputation and I'm sure he sells as many as they can make.

The 5150 is a good mass produced amp with some unique Peavey features like the Ressonance control. There deffinately is a Soldano influence in the 5150 but the Soldano SLO 100 is a much better built amp than the 5150.

Don Corleone
12-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The 5150 is a good mass produced amp with some unique Peavey features like the Ressonance control. There deffinately is a Soldano influence in the 5150.

There certainly is - Soldano designed the intial version of what became the 5150.

Ed worked with Soldano on an amp, and basically Soldano wouldn't give Ed the money he was after. Ed took the blue prints for the amp they designed together, went to Peavey and signed on the spotted line. The rest is history.