PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who think a giant gas guzzling SUV will keep your family safe.....

FORD
11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Dato=20061127&Kategori=LOCAL&Lopenr=61127034&Ref=AR&Q=80&MaxW=500&MaxH=400&Site=BG&Q=80&Border=0&Title=0

If you MUST buy a vehicle with shitty fuel economy, I'd recommend an old school bus. Obviously, they're built better.

Nitro Express
11-28-2006, 04:03 PM
The new SUV's are built out of light guage steel and plastic. They aren't as safe as people think they are but I got 20 MPG on the highway in mine over the weekend. Considering it's a large Suburban with a V8 full of kids and luggage that's real good mileage.

SUV's still have a niche because people like us live where we can get three feet of snow overnight. I also have three kids so there is five of us on family trips. When you add in a dog kennel and the luggage we have that big SUV full.

Our parents drove their big ugly station wagons. I bet they got 8 MPG. Now we can drive something that holds the same people and cargo but is also better in the snow and get 20 MPG.

A modern SUV will still get better mileage full of people than driving two economy cars. So economy is all on how they are used. The SUV will not go away. The fad of everyone having to have on has died off, but the niche buyers are still there and SUV's will still there but sold as trucks.

The mileage will only continue to get better with hybred SUV's coming along and I'm particularly excited about Toyota's electric front drive which eliminates the front transaxle and transfer case.

Big SUV's will always be around but in the future they will have four electric motors in each wheel instead of the transfer cases, gear boxes, axles, and drive shafts.

Electric motors eliminate the need for a transmission and have huge amounts of torque. When coasting they charge the batteries.

Such a drive system will make what the current SUV's use with their old fashioned gears seem like horse and buggy. What's cool is you can select to drive what particular wheel you want or all of them at the same time. So every SUV will be like it has lockers in the differential.

How this all works in dirt, snow, and in harsh conditions is all yet to be seen but we are heading into a different age. Cheap oil has peaked and that will motivate the auto industry to finally move in that direction.

VanHalener
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
SUV is the only way to go if you use it they way she's built to be used. My SUV leaves the house loaded with fishing, camping, shooting, exploring, etc.. gear, or it doesn't leave the house. She takes me to any off road area in Virginia that I want to travel, and believe me I'm trying to hit every one there is.
It really sucks to see so many SUVs on the road here in Fairfax County, because 90% never leave the beaten path and they waste so much gas sitting in our traffic.
It's a persons right to choose in these matters; buy for necessity, or purchase the ego stroking bling. Personally, the only things I've ever purchased that make me feel important is my pets.
Sit Ubbu sit.
Goodboy!

:hitch:

FORD
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
There are situations where larger vehicles are appropriate (such as your own circumstances) and some where they aren't. Common sense says that a Suburban shouldn't be a single occupant commuter vehicle.

Environmentalists posed the question "What Would Jesus Drive?" a couple years ago. They had the right intentions, but the reality is that Jesus might well have driven a Suburban or an Excursion. However, He would have been well justified in doing so, because He had 12 guys riding with Him all of the time.

Plus, if you're Jesus Christ, you can turn water into biodiesel at will, so fuel economy really isn't an issue.

BigBadBrian
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Common sense says that a Suburban shouldn't be a single occupant commuter vehicle.

Unless the owner wants one.

That is their right.

:cool:

FORD
11-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Unless the owner wants one.

That is their right.

:cool:

But who ever said YOU had common sense? :D

SparkieD
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Tiki and I were involved in a head-on collision with a drunk driver in a small SUV. Had it not been for our larger SUV and divine intervention, not only would I not be here, but I doubt I'd even be in one piece. So I'll always drive an SUV and I won't bitch one little bit about fuel economy.

(...You know what divine intervention is? ...Yeah, I think so. That means Jesus came down from Heaven in his Suburban and...)
http://au.i1.yimg.com/movies.aunz.yimg.com/2005/photos/main/2615.jpg

BITEYOASS
11-30-2006, 08:44 AM
An SUV is for someone too half-assed to buy either a truck or sports car. IMO the best truck that can take a beating is the Dodge Ram. I saw this one pic of a Ram and Hummer in a head on collision, the entire front end of the hummer got knocked off and the Ram only had a dent in it's fender. Hell I even saw some mitsubishi get into an accident with a Ram and got totaled while the Ram looked like it didn't have a scratch. Added to that, the Dodge Ram is made in the Mack Avenue plant right in Detroit.

SparkieD
11-30-2006, 12:34 PM
This half-ass is just fine in my Durango. I've got no use for a truck, not even a Ram. Besides, I've got a little kid to drive around and I have to drive clients around to see property. I ain't asking any of them to climb any higher.

And I've already owned enough sports cars. The only way I'll ever have another is if I can persuade Daddy to give me the car he and Mama made me in-a '67 Camaro SS. Another great one for fuel economy.

VanHalener
11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
But who ever said YOU had common sense? :D

Hey, I'm all for free will. Buy want you want. You earned it!

FORD
11-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
This half-ass is just fine in my Durango. I've got no use for a truck, not even a Ram. Besides, I've got a little kid to drive around and I have to drive clients around to see property. I ain't asking any of them to climb any higher.

If the Durango came with a diesel engine - and therefore a capability of running on biodiesel - like the big Dodge Ram trucks do, it would be a lot better. Same with the smaller Dodge trucks, for that matter.

And as far as kids being the reason for SUV's, I would guess that (except for the Suburban, the old Chevy Blazer and the Jeep Cherokee) there weren't a lot of them on the road in the 70's and 80's, and yet we're all still here to talk about it, right?

It's hypocritical of me to demand that others drive 4 cylinder sub-compact egg crates, because I'm physically incapable of sitting comfortably in such a vehicle, let alone driving one. But there are a lot of people out there driving far more of a vehicle than they need to, and they claim some fictional "absolute right" to do so, while Americans (and Iraqis) DIE every day because of this bullshit.

We, as a country, need to do better than that. :(

Coyote
11-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Environmentalists posed the question "What Would Jesus Drive?" a couple years ago. They had the right intentions, but the reality is that Jesus might well have driven a Suburban or an Excursion. However, He would have been well justified in doing so, because He had 12 guys riding with Him all of the time.

Somehow I'd imagine J.C. riding around in a limo...

Little Texan
11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Coyote

Nope...wrong! Jesus drives a Christler! :D

SparkieD
11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
If the Durango came with a diesel engine - and therefore a capability of running on biodiesel - like the big Dodge Ram trucks do, it would be a lot better. Same with the smaller Dodge trucks, for that matter.

And as far as kids being the reason for SUV's, I would guess that (except for the Suburban, the old Chevy Blazer and the Jeep Cherokee) there weren't a lot of them on the road in the 70's and 80's, and yet we're all still here to talk about it, right?

BUT remember the bodies of the cars from when we were kids were built waaaaayyyy tougher. Granted we do have more safety features these days but something like an airbag is useless, even outright dangerous to a child.

I see and appreciate your take on this matter. However, I was afforded the protection of an SUV in a major crash once. You'll have a difficult time convincing someone with experience like that her kid is better off in a car.

Coyote
11-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan

http://diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

BigBadBrian
11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Coyote

Nah...he'd be walking around with a pair of Rockports on. In between flights, of course.

:)

blonddgirl777
11-30-2006, 05:19 PM
... The only way I'll ever have another is if I can persuade Daddy to give me the car he and Mama made me in-a '67 Camaro SS...

Girl... you GOTTA put your hands on this one!!!
One of my favorite Amarican vintage cars...

I am an eternal sports car fan... eaven if I will have to carry a little bundle of joy soon, I will either do it in my old 89 pimped up convertible Celica GT or get a new Celica... I love them!

Eaven if only 2 doors, bend over and strech with a baby car seat, too low in the snow and almost invisible on freeways... I pledge my allegiance to sports cars and refuse to get a S.U.V.!
(Nothing against them though...)

twonabomber
11-30-2006, 05:19 PM
BUT remember the bodies of the cars from when we were kids were built waaaaayyyy tougher. Granted we do have more safety features these days but something like an airbag is useless, even outright dangerous to a child.

i don't know what i feel safer in, my 20 year old Jeep pickup made of REAL STEEL, or the Crossfire, with all it's airbags, traction control, and all that shit. i'm still getting used to looking up at cars instead of looking down at them.

Nitro Express
12-01-2006, 07:28 PM
There are situations where larger vehicles are appropriate (such as your own circumstances) and some where they aren't. Common sense says that a Suburban shouldn't be a single occupant commuter vehicle.

Plus, if you're Jesus Christ, you can turn water into biodiesel at will, so fuel economy really isn't an issue.

The problem is some people buy SUV's because they really do need the capability of the vehicle but cars are expensive and they buy a SUV for their only car because they are so versitile and it ends up being the single person commuter at times.

There is no real easy answer.

I think cars are way too expensive in the US. What we need is a economy commute car that goes for under $10,000. The Volga car company in Russia tried to do that but all the regulations in the US made it unprofitable for them. Too bad. The car they had designed actually looked like a little Jaguar and was actually good looking.

Nitro Express
12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Girl... you GOTTA put your hands on this one!!!
One of my favorite Amarican vintage cars...

I am an eternal sports car fan... eaven if I will have to carry a little bundle of joy soon, I will either do it in my old 89 pimped up convertible Celica GT or get a new Celica... I love them!

Eaven if only 2 doors, bend over and strech with a baby car seat, too low in the snow and almost invisible on freeways... I pledge my allegiance to sports cars and refuse to get a S.U.V.!
(Nothing against them though...)

I had a maroon 68 Camero with Crager rims on it for my high school ride. Restored the whole thing myself. Wish I still had it. I got rid of it when I went to college. Makes me cry.

Nitro Express
12-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I think the most versitle car ever made was the original Volkswagon Bug. My friend had a Baja Bug and that thing would go where you couldn't get a Jeep. Awsome snow car and we took that skiing all the time and if you got stuck, the four passengers in it could lift the thing. If you blew an engine, you could put a new one in on the side of the road.

DR CHIP
12-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Ford,

For your info (not that you probably care), Hummer is THE only vehicle line to promise bio-diesel fuel across their entire line within three years.

Nitro Express
12-01-2006, 07:42 PM
There have always been SUV's or lets call them four wheel drive wagons. The Jeep Wagoneer is the classic. The old original ones were built like tanks.

what waz zat
12-01-2006, 09:52 PM
GM has quite a few vehicles (and more coming) which can run on ethanol. One gallon of ethanol gas is made up of 85% ethanol and 15% gas. If we could get oil companies to install ethanol pumps at gas stations, it would mean we would use much less oil and wouldn't have to depend on foriegn countries for oil. Ethanol is made from corn so we be supporting the Midwest, not the Mideast.

Having said that, the new 405 HP Corvette is simply awesome

Seshmeister
12-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Key car facts

1) The Toyota Prius is a piece of shit con that isn't environmentally friendy at all.

2) American cars are on the whole shit.

3) Most SUV's are shit off road but good at killing people in crashes.

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
Ford,

For your info (not that you probably care), Hummer is THE only vehicle line to promise bio-diesel fuel across their entire line within three years.

Glad to hear it. But as the picture at the top of this thread clearly shows, the Hummers are still overrated pieces of shit that don't live up to their hype.

Of course, as Sesh pointed out, most so called "SUVs" would be completely useless off the road.

FORD
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
There have always been SUV's or lets call them four wheel drive wagons. The Jeep Wagoneer is the classic. The old original ones were built like tanks.

I might be interested in a Jeep pickup if they started making them again. Jeep's design probably sufferred greatly when they were taken over by Chrysler, but with the Germans now running the show they might be able to put out a truck worthy of the Jeep name. And since they put diesel engines in their Dodge trucks, why not in that one. The Wagoneer more or less turned into the Cherokee, didn't it?

My grandparents in Arizona had an old wagoneer back in the day. It was great for fishing trips up to the White Mountains.

Seshmeister
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqZ95G5pvws"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqZ95G5pvws" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
12-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Funny stuff, Sesh. But of course, the guy fails to mention that Ford, Jaguar, and Range Rover are all made by the same company.

Not all in the same factories though, which accounts for the difference. NAFTA probably didn't turn Jags and Range Rovers to shit like it did a lot of American cars.

For that matter, what IS an "American" car anymore?

A Ford made in Mexico?

A Toyota made in Alabama?

twonabomber
12-02-2006, 03:56 AM
The Wagoneer more or less turned into the Cherokee, didn't it?

yup. full size Cherokees came out in the mid-70's. when the little XJ Cherokee came out in 1984, the Waggy becane the Grand Wagoneer and continued until 1991.

my '87 J20 pickup is pretty much the same as the full size Waggys and Cherokees, everything from the front doors forward bolts right up.

i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new Jeep pickup, unless it's smaller than the Dakota. too many Dodge dealers are also Jeep dealers, and i can't see DCX spending the money to develop a Jeep pickup if it may take sales away from Ram or Dakota. now if it's a Wrangler-sized pickup, it may happen...

VanHalener
12-02-2006, 09:10 AM
http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Dato=20061127&Kategori=LOCAL&Lopenr=61127034&Ref=AR&Q=80&MaxW=500&MaxH=400&Site=BG&Q=80&Border=0&Title=0

If you MUST buy a vehicle with shitty fuel economy, I'd recommend an old school bus. Obviously, they're built better.

I nailed an eight point buck with my Explorer last night coming home from dinner with friends, and now I have about $1000 in repairs to do. It would have been a total loss if I was in my car.
I'm just glad I had eveything I needed in my explorer to clean and dress that bad boy. It's tenderloin for breakfast!:wow:

svrwthr
12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
The post Hummer Hummers are not SUV's or should not even be considered one. Those things are luxury toys not sport utility vehicles. Suburban on the other hand is built for ruggedness and not to be a status symbol (even though they cost as much or more than H2 or 3). We took my cousins stock surburban through a three foot creek and into a swamp. es it got stuck, but would you drive your hummer through a creek into a swamp and get it stuck? Fuck No! Hell, it would break apart towing it out,

twonabomber
12-02-2006, 06:41 PM
the H2 is built on the Suburban chassis. i would say that makes it an SUV.

i guess H3's are very capable off road vehicles.

VanHalener
12-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan

This happened down the road from home tonight.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=1707352&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Stay alert, stay alive.

peace

Nitro Express
12-07-2006, 01:51 AM
My Land Rover Defender eats Suberbans for lunch.

Nitro Express
12-07-2006, 01:58 AM
I always hated the term SUV. It's such a 90's yuppie dip term from when everyone was busy masturbating to the .com boom and the air smelled of greed.

4x4 was the classic 70's term but that makes me think of CB radios and 8 track players. I like the term All-Terrain vehicle.

Most SUV's are not All-Terrain vehicles. What my Land Rover gently rolls over would rip the bottom out of most of them.