PDA

View Full Version : Put a Fork in Him, Kerry's Done

LoungeMachine
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
‘I think his goose is cooked’: Kerry dead last in poll

By Dave Wedge
Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - Updated: 01:02 AM EST

John F. Kerry’s dead-last ranking in a poll of 2008 White House contenders has pundits saying he’s down for the count, but the beleaguered senator’s camp insists he’s still in the fight - and that’s no joke.

The Quinnipiac University popularity rankings - based on interviews with 1,600 voters - come as Kerry struggles to recover from his “botched” attempt at humor when he made a reference to soldiers serving in Iraq.

Kerry ranked 20th out of 20 politicians, lagging far behind a slew of Democrats expected to seek the party’s 2008 nomination.

Tops among Democrats was Sen. Barack Obama (D-Illinois), followed by Sen. Joseph Lieberman, a former Connecticut Democrat turned independent; Kerry’s former running mate, ex-North Carolina Sen. John Edwards; New York Sen. Hillary Clinton; and former Vice President Al Gore.

Kerry received a dismal average score of 39.6 out of a possible 100 in the poll.

The veteran senator and former Democratic nominee was even outpaced by a Bay State novice on the presidential trail, lame duck Gov. Mitt Romney, who is expected to seek the Republican nomination. Romney was 13th on the favorability list.

Obama scored second only to former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who has already announced he will explore a GOP presidential run.

The poll is the latest bad news for Kerry, who has been on a steady decline since nearly pulling off the 2004 presidential election. He suffered yet another setback a few weeks ago when he infuriated military families by cracking that students should stay in school or risk getting “stuck in Iraq.” He later apologized, saying the intended target of his ill-fated zinger was President Bush, not the troops.

“I think his goose is cooked,” John Norton, a retired political science professor at Pennsylvania’s Lebanon Valley College, said of Kerry. “He wasn’t in a strong place to begin with and then his reaction to his most recent gaffe nailed the coffin.”

“He goofed up,” agreed Harvard Kennedy School of Government professor Elaine Kamarck. “That’s still fresh in people’s minds.”

But Kerry aide Amy Brundage downplayed the survey findings, saying, “Polls taken two years before an election aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.”

“He’ll make his decisions about the future based on the issues, not on meaningless polls,” Brundage said.

As for Romney, Norton expects the Bay State governor’s “clean” image to spur momentum as he gains more national exposure.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he moved up in these type of rankings,” Norton said. “He’s kind of well-positioned to be more of a front-runner - in the top five.”

FORD
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm not Judas IsKerryot's biggest fan, but any poll that has Lieberman rated as "popular" among Democrats is obviously BULLSHIT. And I don't know a single Democrat that would vote for Hillary either. At least not in the primary or caucus.

DrMaddVibe
11-28-2006, 05:45 PM
LMAO!!!

He was done decades ago!!!!!!!!

BigBadBrian
11-28-2006, 06:40 PM
November 27, 2006 - More Americans Think Well Of Speaker Pelosi, Quinnipiac University National Thermometer Finds; President Is Low On List, But Kerry Is Last

House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi, who ranked last in Quinnipiac University's quarterly reading of voter sentiment about national leaders September 5, has dramatically improved her standing. But the new Democratic leader of the Senate, Harry Reid, still remains at the bottom in a survey released today.

Republican presidential contenders, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Ariz. Sen. John McCain, and potential Democratic aspirant Sen. Barack Obama continue to get the highest ratings in the latest "thermometer reading" of national leaders by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll. Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts ranked last, while President George W. Bush was 15th out of 20.

The survey, taken the week after the Democrats won back Congress, asks voters to rate the warmth of their feelings for leaders on a scale of 0 - 100. Speaker-elect Pelosi's rating has jumped from a 34.7 mean temperature in September to 46.7, slightly behind New York Sen. Hillary Clinton's 49.

"In September, most Americans did not know enough about U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, and those who did didn't like what they knew. Now, perhaps because everyone likes a winner, she has increased her standing with the American people. And only about a third of Americans say they don't know enough about her to have an opinion," said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

"Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, the incoming Senate Majority Leader, moved up slightly over the same period, from 37.9 to 41.2 and ranked 19th out of 20," Brown added.

The mean scores for each politician with the percentage not knowing enough about the individual to rate him or her:

1) Rudolph Giuliani - 64.2. (9)

2) Sen. Barack Obama 58.8 (41)

3) Sen. John McCain 57.7 (12)

4) Condoleezza Rice - 56.1 (7)

5) Bill Clinton - 55.8 (1)

6) Sen. Joseph Lieberman - 52.7 (16)

7) NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg - 51.1 (44)

8) John Edwards - 49.9 (20)

9) Sen. Hillary Clinton - 49 (1)

10) N.M. Gov. Bill Richardson - 47.7 (65)

11) Sen. Joseph Biden 47 (52)

12) Nancy Pelosi 46.9 (34)

13) Gov. Mitt Romney - 45.9 (64)

14) Former VP Al Gore - 44.9 (3)

15) President George Bush - 43.8 (1)

16) Sen. Evan Bayh - 43.3 (75)

17) Newt Gingrich - 42 (15)

18) Sen. Bill Frist - 41.5 (53)

19) Sen. Harry Reid - 41.2 (61)

20) Sen. John Kerry - 39.6 (5)

Link (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=990)

BigBadBrian
11-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'm not Judas IsKerryot's biggest fan, but any poll that has Lieberman rated as "popular" among Democrats is obviously BULLSHIT. And I don't know a single Democrat that would vote for Hillary either. At least not in the primary or caucus.

FORD, just admit it...

You are on the left most edge of your party...you have no clue what "normal" Democrats think or feel.

Nickdfresh
11-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
FORD, just admit it...

You are on the left most edge of your party...you have no clue what "normal" Democrats think or feel.

And you're on the extreme right of America. You have no idea how most "normal Americans" feel...

Nickdfresh
11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
"Kerry received a dismal average score of 39.6 out of a possible 100 in the poll."

Well, he's eight percentage points ahead of Bush...

LoungeMachine
11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
And you're on the extreme right of America. You have no idea how most "normal Americans" feel...

"Kerry received a dismal average score of 39.6 out of a possible 100 in the poll."

Back to back 3-pointers....

Nuthin' but net, too :D

Nickdfresh
11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
It's so easy easy sometimes....

DrMaddVibe
11-28-2006, 07:50 PM

And Bush is a 2 term President!

LMAO!!!

FORD
11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

LMAO!!!

Yet not elected to either one of them :(

Nickdfresh
11-28-2006, 07:58 PM

LMAO!!!

And the guy that caused the Republicans to loose congress after only a feable 12-years...

DrMaddVibe
11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Yet not elected to either one of them :(

Oh, he was elected...TWICE!

If the Diebolds worked to elect a Dem controlled House and Senate then it sure as hell worked for the Executive Branch!

You still can't let it go, its a flaw on YOUR part.

DrMaddVibe
11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
And the guy that caused the Republicans to loose congress after only a feable 12-years...

Yeah, the guy you love to hate. The guy you think is so dumb. The guy that engineered a war AND lost the Legislative arm...yeah.

Uh nick....he's just 1 "feable"(sic) guy!

Nickdfresh
11-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, the guy you love to hate. The guy you think is so dumb. The guy that engineered a war AND lost the Legislative arm...yeah.

Uh nick....he's just 1 "feable"(sic) guy!

LOL On of the die-hard 31% ladies and germs...

Seshmeister
11-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I was talking for a long while with a Democrat from VA last week and he said it was inconcievable that the US could vote for a woman president,

Is that true?

FORD
11-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I was talking for a long while with a Democrat from VA last week and he said it was inconcievable that the US could vote for a woman president,

Is that true?

I believe it will happen eventually, but probably not in 2008. The neocons will still be trying to make fear and "terra" the main issues of the campaign, and a woman would be painted as "weak" even if she were a 4 star general with every combat medal possible.

Get this nation back to normal and maybe it might happen in another 20 years.

It won't be Hillary Clinton in either case.

Ellyllions
11-29-2006, 07:22 AM
I almost blew my cheeks out on the article that Kerry finished last. But it's pretty common knowlege that I don't think a whole lot of John Kerry...

As far as a woman President? I wouldn't vote for one and I AM a woman. Women are flighty, manipulative, and vindictive. The latter being the main reason I don't want a female Pres.

Ya'll think Bush went into Iraq out of vengence...get a menopausal, insulted female in the office. I double dog dare you. The minimum age for Presidency is when a womans system is all fucked up hormonally. Natural fact!

She'll be sending the Air Force into Canada because a press person said something nasty about her shoes.

LoungeMachine
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
I almost blew my cheeks out on Lounge, thank God he finished last.

There.

That's better. :cool:

Ellyllions
11-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
There.

That's better. :cool:

You're so easy baby...

LoungeMachine
11-29-2006, 11:06 AM
You're so easy baby...

;)

Terry
11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Seem to recall Nixon was pronounced dead and buried, politically, in 1962, yet he came back to win the presidency 6 years later...

Voted for Kerry in 2004, but I'd just as soon see Edwards or Gore make a run for it before Kerry in 2008.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
FORD, you have no clue what "normal" Democrats think or feel.

I'm on extreme recreational dosages of morphine. At the moment, I have no idea what I think or feel.

It's GREAT.

Ellyllions
11-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Let me tell you something about Mr. Edwards...LOL!

He's an ASSHOLE in the greatest regard. Don't believe the considerate, low brow, concern that he has given at any public statement.

He lives right here in Raleigh and I know several folks who live in his neighborhood. That man tromps around that neighborhood like he owns the whole fucking place. He's known for doing his "spot inspections" during his morning run. If he doesn't like what you're doing with your yard or home he'll come right to your door and tell you how your property affects his image because he lives in your neighborhood. And it won't be with an endearing concerned look on his face.

He also requests that his hair gets mentioned during interviews. VAIN AS HELL!

NC would LOVE to have one of it's sons in the White House. But NOT that one.

Don't believe one word he says. He's not in the run for the public service. It's all about power and legacy for Mr. John Edwards.

BARACK OBAMA in '08 bitchez!!

Terry
12-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Let me tell you something about Mr. Edwards...LOL!

He's an ASSHOLE in the greatest regard. Don't believe the considerate, low brow, concern that he has given at any public statement.

He lives right here in Raleigh and I know several folks who live in his neighborhood. That man tromps around that neighborhood like he owns the whole fucking place. He's known for doing his "spot inspections" during his morning run. If he doesn't like what you're doing with your yard or home he'll come right to your door and tell you how your property affects his image because he lives in your neighborhood. And it won't be with an endearing concerned look on his face.

He also requests that his hair gets mentioned during interviews. VAIN AS HELL!

NC would LOVE to have one of it's sons in the White House. But NOT that one.

Don't believe one word he says. He's not in the run for the public service. It's all about power and legacy for Mr. John Edwards.

BARACK OBAMA in '08 bitchez!!

Sure, Edwards would like to be president for reasons of personal vanity as much as public service, but so would Barack Obama.

You never really know what any of these presidential hopefuls will do once in office until they get in there and react to events.

Anyone who says they could have dreamed W would have went about it the way he did prior to 9/11 is disingenuous. On Sept.10th, 2001, the question was how much of a one-term washout was he gonna be in comparison to his old man.

Nitro Express
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I almost blew my cheeks out on the article that Kerry finished last. But it's pretty common knowlege that I don't think a whole lot of John Kerry...

As far as a woman President? I wouldn't vote for one and I AM a woman. Women are flighty, manipulative, and vindictive. The latter being the main reason I don't want a female Pres.

Ya'll think Bush went into Iraq out of vengence...get a menopausal, insulted female in the office. I double dog dare you. The minimum age for Presidency is when a womans system is all fucked up hormonally. Natural fact!

She'll be sending the Air Force into Canada because a press person said something nasty about her shoes.
\

Not shit. We don't need an ICBM missle launch because it was that time of the month and the PMS kicked in.

FORD
12-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Seem to recall Nixon was pronounced dead and buried, politically, in 1962, yet he came back to win the presidency 6 years later...

Voted for Kerry in 2004, but I'd just as soon see Edwards or Gore make a run for it before Kerry in 2008.

I've said several times that Gore taking the page from the Nixon scenario would be very likely.

Politicians have become fond of using phrases like "Are you better off now than you were 8 years ago".

But it's ONLY Al Gore who can use that slogan in 2008 and have everyone in America know exactly what he means by it.

Because we are not better off. Unless you work for Halliburton. Or Exxon. Or a defense contractor. In which case you would probably vote for a warmonger anyway, no matter what.

As far as I'm concerned, this race is Gore's if he wants it. And if he does, he will win.

Terry
12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I've said several times that Gore taking the page from the Nixon scenario would be very likely.

Politicians have become fond of using phrases like "Are you better off now than you were 8 years ago".

But it's ONLY Al Gore who can use that slogan in 2008 and have everyone in America know exactly what he means by it.

Because we are not better off. Unless you work for Halliburton. Or Exxon. Or a defense contractor. In which case you would probably vote for a warmonger anyway, no matter what.

As far as I'm concerned, this race is Gore's if he wants it. And if he does, he will win.

Gore is the only one the Dems can put forth who can claim not to have contributed to any of the debacles following his loss in 2000.

Even Obama is gonna have a tough time explaining how he made sure he got face time at all the hearings regarding the botched response to Katrina/how the reconstruction money spent, and yet most of the lower-income black wards are still in piles of rubble and the levees haven't been properly fortified.

I agree Gore could take it in a walk if he wants it, regardless of who the GOP puts up...but 1) I'm not so sure Gore really wants it - he may well NOT want to run around trying to pick up Bush's broken crockery 2) It in no way means Gore would be a great president.

Ellyllions
12-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Sure, Edwards would like to be president for reasons of personal vanity as much as public service, but so would Barack Obama.

You never really know what any of these presidential hopefuls will do once in office until they get in there and react to events.

Anyone who says they could have dreamed W would have went about it the way he did prior to 9/11 is disingenuous. On Sept.10th, 2001, the question was how much of a one-term washout was he gonna be in comparison to his old man.

Actually I disagree. When Bush was running, we were repeatedly told what his personality was like and he still got voted in. We ended up with exactly the same person we were warned about him being.

Edwards will constantly be working on his legacy as opposed to doing what the people want. Just like Bush. Because that's the kind of person Edwards is....they both worry about ole #1 first.

I don't think Gore is electable. (sp)
Only because he's already been defeated once before, whether real or not. I think there may be too many people who will use that premise in the voting booth. I also think it may be a bad idea to run him just because of the reminders of the past.

In my mind, from now on I will vote based on one question:
"how would the candidate handle an attempt by a state to secede from the Union?" If I think the candidate would try diplomacy and talking directly with the people of that state's governing body then that would determine my vote.

Why?

Well, I honestly don't think that Bush would allow a State to secede from the Union. I think if that were to happen he'd show his true dictatorial mind-set. And I think that would be the ultimate test for any Presidential candidate. Things would have to be really bad if States were to start trying to seperate themselves.