PDA

View Full Version : We need term limits for Senators and Congressmen

Nitro Express
12-01-2006, 04:28 AM
The president can only serve two eight year terms but a Senator or Congressmen can stay in their seat for their whole adult lives. Look at Ted Kennedy. Look at Orrin Hatch. Now Hatch's own children are working as lobbiest in Washington DC.

The nations capital has an uncanny way of corrupting even good people who go there to represent their home districts. Why? Special intrest lobbying and corruption breeds more corruption.

I think we could reduce the problem by having term limits for Senators and Congressmen. With no term limits, elected officials tend to become proffesional, lifetime politicians that master the game of living well on the public treasury and special interest bribes.

With only two eight year terms in Washington, special interest would not have the influence they do now and corruption would have less time to accumulate.

Like dirty diapers politicians need to be changed for the same reason.

ULTRAMAN VH
12-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Agreed, but the good old boy network in DC will never allow that to happen. U.S. Senator Robert (KKK) Byrd will probably die in his senate seat.

DrMaddVibe
12-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Yeah, we do because they've prostituted the noble act of serving into a career with benefits!

Take away the benefits and the pay too!

knuckleboner
12-01-2006, 02:09 PM
the potential problem of term limits, though, is that the congresspeople might be much more likely to help out industry/various lobbying interests, because they know they've got a limited time in congress and will need to find a job once they're forced out.

but more imporant, there ARE term limits. it's called the ballot box. if you don't like your representative, don't vote for him. organize against him. hell, run against him.

but please don't tell me that i can't vote for who i want to vote for...

LoungeMachine
12-01-2006, 03:19 PM
We have term limits.

They're called elections.

Don't tell me who I can and cannot vote for, asshole.

If you want to level the playing field, then fix CAMPAIGN FINANCE LAWS.

Restricting who can run is TOTAL FUCKING INANE BULLSHIT.

Hardrock69
12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Hell the Congresspeople are not the only problem.

Lookit those higher ups who stay in office their entire lives who do not have to run for re-election?

J. Edgar Hoover ran the FBI for over 30 years as his own personal gestapo. He had more power in his little finger than some of the Presidents he served under.

And he is just one of them.

Nitro Express
12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Hell the Congresspeople are not the only problem.

Lookit those higher ups who stay in office their entire lives who do not have to run for re-election?

J. Edgar Hoover ran the FBI for over 30 years as his own personal gestapo. He had more power in his little finger than some of the Presidents he served under.

And he is just one of them.

Very true. Lets have term limits on govt. employees too.

Nitro Express
12-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
We have term limits.

They're called elections.

Don't tell me who I can and cannot vote for, asshole.

If you want to level the playing field, then fix CAMPAIGN FINANCE LAWS.

Restricting who can run is TOTAL FUCKING INANE BULLSHIT.

I guess we should get rid of Bush's term limit so he can use his powerful financial ties and influence to win the next election again.

Nitro Express
12-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
the potential problem of term limits, though, is that the congresspeople might be much more likely to help out industry/various lobbying interests, because they know they've got a limited time in congress and will need to find a job once they're forced out.

but more imporant, there ARE term limits. it's called the ballot box. if you don't like your representative, don't vote for him. organize against him. hell, run against him.

but please don't tell me that i can't vote for who i want to vote for...

Then why do we have term limits on the executive branch? Should we get rid of that? Some people want Bush for another term but gosh dang, them term limits are telling them who they can and can't vote for.

Nitro Express
12-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Yeah, we do because they've prostituted the noble act of serving into a career with benefits!

Take away the benefits and the pay too!

Agreed. Let's take the honey pot away because they are stuck in it. We need som motivation for the office or nobody will run for it. How about they can still fuck the interns and pages all they want.

svrwthr
12-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Sure it has been spat in here somewhere but just get rid of that pension for life shit and we clear up all our debt. You give them term limits and they will change hands faster making more and more ex politicians receiving pensions for life that none need. Why the hell do millionaires need to have a pension or medical for the rest of their lives paid for by the american public? Keep the no term limit or rid the pensions and make term limits.

knuckleboner
12-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Then why do we have term limits on the executive branch? Should we get rid of that? Some people want Bush for another term but gosh dang, them term limits are telling them who they can and can't vote for.

actually, i'm not really in favor of that, either.

still, i can sort of understand the inherent advantages to an incumbant president (like constant media coverage / effectively free campaign advertising.)

still, when it comes down to it, if it were up to the knuckleboner, i'd get rid of that amendment. if the people want to vote FDR into a 5th term, let them.

LoungeMachine
12-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I guess we should get rid of Bush's term limit so he can use his powerful financial ties and influence to win the next election again.

Fine by me.

I'd love to watch BushCO get STOMPED in a national election.

I doubt that fuckwad could carry TEXAS at this point.

And just imagine how much better off we'd be right now had Clinton had a third term.

Chimpy's "powerful financial ties" couldn't save him now :rolleyes:

And if you think he'd win a third term, you're fucking crazy:rolleyes:

FORD
12-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

And if you think he'd win a third term, you're fucking crazy:rolleyes:

Well, not in an HONEST election, obviously. But the truth is already emerging that a massive turnout is the ONLY thing that kept the 2006 election from being stolen, and that the actual Democratic House majority could have well been around 70 seats.

If (God Forbid) Hillary is a forced nominee, that kind of turnout isn't going to be there and a third Chimp term might be easy enough to steal, as the first two were :(

DrMaddVibe
12-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Massive turnout now?

Hardly!