PDA

View Full Version : Bolton Stepping Down

EAT MY ASSHOLE
12-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Horrible news. Horrible. He was the greatest ambassador to the U.S. this country has ever had.

I'm sure Harriet Miers would agree.

DrMaddVibe
12-04-2006, 02:35 PM
It was temporary at best. I think he was doing a good job there.

He was NEVER really going to get the position though.

FORD
12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Putting Bolton in the UN is like making Hagar the "minister of music".

Like all BCE appointees, the intent is to place the person most hostile to the job required. Bolton, for example, was on record as hating the UN and even wishing that a terrorist would blow up "the top 10 floors" of the building.

It was a typical shit-all-over-the-constitution move that put him in the job, and thank god his reign of terror is over.

DrMaddVibe
12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
What's to like about the UN frod?

DrMaddVibe
12-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Bolton front and center of U.N. Security Council issues By Evelyn Leopold
2 hours, 39 minutes ago

The resignation of John Bolton as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations ends an era when the focus of U.S. diplomacy often rested, for better or for worse, on the man himself.

Witty, a born litigator and in command of the facts, Bolton was front and center of most issues in the U.N. Security Council -- North Korea, Iran, Somalia, Myanmar, Sudan, among others -- but made enemies among nations in the U.N. General Assembly, responsible for management reforms and the budget.

"He is serious about the American objectives here in reforming the United Nations, and he pushed hard," China's U.N. Ambassador Wang Guangya told reporters. "But of course sometimes in order to achieve the objective you have to work together with others."

"His style is different. He is hard-working," Wang said. "He knows the job."

Bolton also had difficulties with European ambassadors, who should have been his closest allies. But he worked intensively with France on a ceasefire resolution, 1701, to halt the Israeli-Hezbollah war in Lebanon this summer.

"I would say we have always respected each other and we were able to work together, especially on 1701," said France's U.N. Ambassador Jean-Marc de la Sabliere.

Unable to overcome Democratic opposition in the Senate to his nomination, the White House announced on Monday that Bolton would resign when his temporary appointment expires within weeks. Bolton's recess appointment last year had allowed him to bypass the U.S. Senate confirmation process.

Democrats accused him of being a bully and of pressuring subordinates to align their views with his.

Bolton came to the job with a reputation for an abrasive style. But he defied many of his critics by being the only U.N. Security Council ambassador available to the press almost every day, answering countless questions and often delivering punchy sound bites that drowned out staid comments from Washington.

"It is to me really disappointing to see Ambassador Bolton go," said Japan's U.N. Ambassador Kenzo Oshima. "He has been an exceptionally skillful diplomat at the United Nations at a time when it faced very challenging issues like reform."

"In the Security Council John Bolton was spearheading a number of important issues," Oshima said, singling out a resolution to rein in North Korea's nuclear program, where "he really spearheaded this effort to get a Security Council resolution adopted in a very speedy manner."

LESS SUCCESS WITH U.N. GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Several diplomats distinguish between Bolton's work in the 15-nation Security Council and that in the 192-member General Assembly, dominated by developing nations.

"In some ways, he seems to have been more an ambassador to the Security Council than to the United Nations as a whole and I think he has done very well there," said Edward Luck, a Columbia University professor and U.N. expert.

But the problem, Luck said, is his actions in the General Assembly, which is increasingly polarized between developing and developed countries over changes to U.N. management practices, finances and a new human rights body.

"He is very good on preaching on reform but not good at doing it" raising the question of "whether he wants to strengthen it or find excuses for abandoning it," said Luck.

Greece's U.N. Ambassador Adamantios Vassilakis, said the United States was correct in the need for reform but "I might say that I personally would pursue the same thing through different tactics, but that is a different story."

But there was no love lost between the U.N. bureaucracy and Bolton, especially the U.N. Deputy Secretary-General Mark Malloch Brown, a Briton, who said in a June speech that the United States worked closely with the world body in many fields but tolerated "too much unchecked U.N.-bashing and stereotyping."

In response Bolton called on Secretary General Kofi Annan to repudiate Malloch Brown "personally and publicly," but Annan stood by the "thrust" of the speech, his spokesman said.

When Bolton came to the United Nations in August 2005, his first move was to unravel a carefully negotiated document on U.N. reform with some 400 amendments in an effort to produce a tighter treatise. Talks stalled and the United States did not get many of the gains it sought.

This prompted President Bush a few weeks later to ask Annan, "How's he doing, Has the place blown up?"

LoungeMachine
12-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
It was temporary at best. I think he was doing a good job there.

He was NEVER really going to get the position though.

It was temporary at best?

It was a RECESS APPOINTMENT, mensa.

It was temporary PERIOD

And what makes you think he was doing a good job there?

Care to list your favorite accomplishments of the guy? Or is American Idol running late......

Fucking underemployed moron:rolleyes:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
12-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
It was temporary at best?

It was a RECESS APPOINTMENT, mensa.

It was temporary PERIOD

And what makes you think he was doing a good job there?

Care to list your favorite accomplishments of the guy? Or is American Idol running late......

Fucking underemployed moron:rolleyes:

Originally posted by FORD
Like all BCE appointees, the intent is to place the person most hostile to the job required.

Oh my God, FORD, are you saying Lounge was appointed to Mod of the Front Line by neo-cons???

It all makes sense now!!! But who would have thought that Kip Winger would be sporting a Yosemite Sam moustache these days???

LoungeMachine
12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
My, was that being hostile?

my bad.

DrMaddVibe
12-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Care to list your favorite accomplishments of the guy?

Bolton Bolts
It was his success in defense of American and democratic interests that doomed him.

By Anne Bayefsky

The only winners from the resignation of U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton are the foes of the United States. Ambassador Bolton did a courageous job communicating and protecting American values in the belly of a beast where those values are at risk each and every day. His commitment to real and effective reform was unshakable. His honesty, integrity, and hard work produced substantial results on a multiplicity of levels in only 18 months on the job. He spearheaded the adoption of a first legally binding Security Council resolution sanctioning North Korea for its nuclear-weapons program; passage of a first ever Security Council resolution addressing the Iranian nuclear program; consensus-building among democratic states that resulted in 50 donor countries, responsible for 88 percent of the U.N. regular budget, taking a common position on management reform.

Furthermore, he:

had the foresight to refuse to lend credibility to the U.N. Human Rights Council, which as he predicted, has become a mockery of reform undeserving of American support;

raised the profile of the genocide in Darfur and insisted on Security Council action;

led the campaign against corruption at the U.N. secretariat, including the reduction of the gift ceiling for United Nations officials from $10,000 to $200;

defended a free and democratic government of Israel from the relentless onslaught of anti-Israel and anti-Semitic attacks launched across the U.N. system.

Ultimately, it was his success in defense of American and democratic interests that doomed him. No one was more vociferous in campaigning against his nomination than the defenders of the status quo Ñ Secretary General Kofi Annan, his deputy Mark Malloch-Brown, and their financial backers, George Soros and Ted TurnerÕs U.N. Foundation. One can be sure they will have broken out the champagne, along with the Russians, Chinese, Sudanese, and the remainder of the Organization of the Islamic Conference Ñ all those who have a vested interest in ensuring a neverending cycle of U.S. money in, support for terrorism and nuclear proliferation out. The reverberations of the departure of John Bolton will be felt for a long time to come.

Ñ Anne Bayefsky is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and at Touro College Law Center. She is also editor of www.EyeontheUN.org.

if we listened to the likes of sub-humans like you we'd have to ask for permission to use the bathroom at the UN.

LoungeMachine
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Ahhhh, you can't.

You can only cut n paste someone else's favorite Bolton accomplishments....

figured as much :rolleyes:

DrMaddVibe
12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
All the points I was going to make conviently located in one place.

Facts.

LoungeMachine
12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
All the points I was going to make conviently located in one place.

Facts.

LMAO

How "convient" :D

fucking moron

:hula:

DrMaddVibe
12-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Now why didn't you think, nevermind that...tell us what frod said about why Bolton was a poor choice to hold the position and his reflection of the job he did.

ODShowtime
12-05-2006, 09:18 PM
I don't really know enough about what he's been up to to say if it's a good thing. The UN has been doing what the US wants lately, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Of course the fact that he was installed by gw&friends using a recess appointment means he's 99% probability a scumbag. Seeing as how gw&friends mostly install scumbags everywhere.

ODShowtime
12-05-2006, 09:20 PM
he:

had the foresight to refuse to lend credibility to the U.N. Human Rights Council, which as he predicted, has become a mockery of reform undeserving of American support;

defended a free and democratic government of Israel from the relentless onslaught of anti-Israel and anti-Semitic attacks launched across the U.N. system.

BTW DMV, these aren't "facts"

ULTRAMAN VH
12-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Now why didn't you think, nevermind that...tell us what frod said about why Bolton was a poor choice to hold the position and his reflection of the job he did.

Well the crickets are chirping rather loudly, because other than being affiliated with Bush, the libbys can't list any negatives on Boltons stint as Ambassador.