There would be less drive-by's...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6209226.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42387000/jpg/_42387896_weapons_ap203b.jpg
The UNDP paid for this explosive waste incinerator in Bosnia

Bosnian gun lottery scheme ends
By Nicholas Walton
BBC News, Sarajevo

Explosive Waste Incinerator in Bosnia

A month-long trial of a scheme to get Bosnians living in the Sarajevo area to hand in illegal weapons is ending.

People who have handed in guns and grenades have been rewarded with tickets to a special lottery.

More than a decade after the Bosnian war ended, the country still has about 500,000 illegal weapons.

About one-fifth of Bosnians still own guns and the authorities say collecting all of the weapons by conventional searches will take 20 years.

Guns for prizes

It sounds like an idea for a bizarre game show - hand in your firearm and win a kitchen appliance - but the issue behind this project is a serious one.

Since the war, peacekeepers have collected 50,000 weapons, ranging from machine guns and grenades to a couple of tanks.

But the authorities say that at present rates it will be another 20 years before all of them are collected.

That is why this lottery has been introduced, to get people to hand in their guns with the incentive of winning televisions, motorbikes and fridges.

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is testing the idea in the Sarajevo area.

"The idea behind it is that there are actually only several ways of getting weapons from civilians," says the UNDP's Stefan Priesner.

"Either one does searches or you use incentives to get weapons."

If the UNDP judges the lottery a success it says it will use the idea to tackle the problem all over Bosnia-Hercegovina.

More conventional searches for illegal weapons will also continue.

Just last week international peacekeepers collected more than 400 hand grenades from two small towns not far from Sarajevo.

BITEYOASS
12-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Of course it will work, cause dem G's always got theys mind on da money and money on dey minds! :D

Nitro Express
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah, they had a gun buyback program where pawn shops and gun shops got rid of all their useless junk and got some $$$$ for it. You know, rifles with no bolts and rusted barrels and revolvers with fused cylendars.

There's a lot of non-functioning junk out there. If you have sevral firearms that are the same, you can make a good one out of sevral others and then turn the leftovers to the buyback program or lottery.

Golden AWe
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
There's a lot of non-functioning junk out there. If you have sevral firearms that are the same, you can make a good one out of sevral others and then turn the leftovers to the buyback program or lottery.

So, how many new ones did you build? :D

Nitro Express
12-07-2006, 03:38 AM
One buyback program was offering $50/gun. An old rusty Stevens .22, a rusted Lee-Enfield with no bolt, A Model 10 Smith & Wesson with a bent crane and fused cylendar, a H&R shotgun with a blown barrel, and a bunch of missalaniouse pistol recievers and frames added up to about $700. None of these guns could have fired a shot. They were leftover junk from a gun/pawnshop. By turning in the junk I bought a new CZ 75 pistol.

If you have a lot of the same military or police rifles or pistols, you can cannibalize them and make some good ones and then sell the junky parts for $$$$$$ at the gun buyback.

Nitro Express
12-07-2006, 03:48 AM
When police departments were converting over to semi-automatics you could buy beautiful Smith and Wesson service revolers.

If you have an FFL license you can buy them by the gross. I bought a bunch of nickle plated revolvers from the Detroit Police Dept.

I took the best parts and made some real beauties and put new grips on them. The junk that was left over went into a box. I used most of it to make a cool wood burning stove. The handles for the door and the dampers were Smith and Wesson revoler frames!

I have gun parts on my Harley. The suicide shifter on one is a cromed Kaloshnikov barrel and gas system. It was from a cut up one that was imported from Israel. Man was that thing full of sand!

BITEYOASS
12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
When police departments were converting over to semi-automatics you could buy beautiful Smith and Wesson service revolers.

If you have an FFL license you can buy them by the gross. I bought a bunch of nickle plated revolvers from the Detroit Police Dept.

I took the best parts and made some real beauties and put new grips on them. The junk that was left over went into a box. I used most of it to make a cool wood burning stove. The handles for the door and the dampers were Smith and Wesson revoler frames!

I have gun parts on my Harley. The suicide shifter on one is a cromed Kaloshnikov barrel and gas system. It was from a cut up one that was imported from Israel. Man was that thing full of sand!

A nickle-plated DPD revolver. Holy shit! Does it have a city of Detroit logo on it?

Nitro Express
12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
All of them have Detriot Police Dept. on the backstrap and all are nickel plated. Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Specials. I did trigger jobs on mine and they all shoot like a dream!

You can get some great guns govt. surplus. I bought a Sig Sauer 226 govt. surplus and it turned out to be a Navy Seal issued one custom built to their specs. Everything is coated with teflon to eliminate corrosion. That pistol is so fast and accurate it's scary! I heard the Seals bought some of them back. They can't have mine. I love it too much!