PDA

View Full Version : what kind of music do you expect...

DavidLeeNatra
12-05-2006, 07:03 AM
so...since we have not much to talk about in this forum...what do you think will new tunes sound like?

will ed stay at the "dark side" and try to put out that kind of stuff or can bring dave back the "smile" into the music and will they be able to play "big rock" again...

binnie
12-05-2006, 07:14 AM
I think that they'll have a jammin' feel to them like "Me Wise Magic".

If Daves' involved they're gonna make you smile, he has always said he hated it when Ed started making morbid music....

I hope that they bring back those great changes where everything snaps from loose to tight (Romeo's Delight, Everybody Wants Some, Bottom's Up etc), that's CVH to me...

DavidLeeNatra
12-05-2006, 07:41 AM
when did ed write his last song with a positive attitude?

Terry
12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Think half the fun of it would be wondering what the music would sound like...even in 1996 when I heard they were getting back together to do some new stuff, just that fact alone was enough to get me interested. I can't remember what I expected at that time, but I was pleased with the result (some say the music to MWM and CGTSNM was too Van Hagarish, but I liked it well enough).

Even the lesser-appreciated CVH tracks like Big Bad Bill never failed to interest me, so I'd have to imagine they'd still be able to do the same now...think a lot of the result is gonna depend on them getting out of 5150 and letting someone besides themselves produce it. Ed gets lazy when he's in charge with home-studio advantage.

rustoffa
12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Even the lesser-appreciated CVH tracks like Big Bad Bill never failed to interest me, so I'd have to imagine they'd still be able to do the same now...think a lot of the result is gonna depend on them getting out of 5150 and letting someone besides themselves produce it. Ed gets lazy when he's in charge with home-studio advantage.

Sensationalistic rock media needs a story. I mean, a REAL story. Apparently, the progeny-as-bassist gimmick isn't doing the job. I'm not saying discard it altogether...just give it a time-out.

Terry mentioned the lesser-appreciated CVH tracks. IMO, a re-invention of the "unplugged" phenomenon would work. How?

With Pete Seeger producing. I sincerely hope he's not dead.
:confused: :(

Coyote
12-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
IMO, a re-invention of the "unplugged" phenomenon would work.

Oh, hell no! Don't forget, "unplugged" only works if the music is originally played with acoustic instruments.

à la Clapton, Aerosmith.

Coyote
12-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
what do you think will new tunes sound like?

Depends on the studio used. At best, it'll be "Big Rock" with a near-psychotic "smile" stepping out from a dark alley.

At worst... I'd rather not think about that.

binnie
12-07-2006, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
when did ed write his last song with a positive attitude?

1996 when Dave was there.

Before that, 1984.

when he got hooked on keyboards, everything went downhill....

Simon Ribeiro
12-07-2006, 01:47 PM
What kind of music do I expect from Van Halen Mark IV?

Humm, something like Drop Dead Legs or Me Wise Magic or The Full Bug or On Fire! I'd like to hear that old damn great CVH attitude.