PDA

View Full Version : Bush Still Refuses To Face Reality

blueturk
12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
So you've started a war based on lies and you've almost single-handedly made your party lose control of Congress.So if a bipartisan panel tells you that you and your cronies have totally fucked things up, what do you do? If you're George W. Bush, you do what you've always done. You live in your own little world where you are always right....

By BRIAN KNOWLTON
Published: December 7, 2006

WASHINGTON, Dec. 7 — President Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain on Thursday welcomed the new bipartisan report on Iraq, but the president seemed to resist the idea of withdrawing most combat troops, saying that if the United States fails to establish a stable and secure Iraq, it will haunt Americans for years.

Appearing at an hourlong news conference with his closest ally in the Iraq war, President Bush was largely noncommittal about the group’s 79 recommendations — which include withdrawing most combat units by early 2008.

He called the report “very constructive” and “worthy of study,” but said that neither Congress nor the administration would accept all of the panel’s proposals. His policy going forward, Mr. Bush reiterated, would rely not just on the study group’s recommendations but on those being formulated by the Pentagon, the State Department and the National Security Council.

As the two leaders met at the White House, the study group’s co-chairmen, James A. Baker III and Lee H. Hamilton, urged Congress to endorse the panel’s call for a sharp change in course in the Iraq war during an appearance before the Senate Armed Services Committee. Mr. Hamilton called for a “very vigorous oversight of the war effort.”

The study group’s report, released on Wednesday, described the situation in Iraq as “grave and deteriorating,” By contrast, the president described it as “unsettling” in his remarks to reporters. When a British reporter asked him whether his choice of words showed that he was “still in denial about how bad things are in Iraq,” Mr. Bush made his feelings clear.

“Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to the families” of those who have died. “I also believe we’re going to succeed. I believe we’ll prevail,” he said.

“One way to assure failure is just to quit, is not to adjust, and say it’s just not worth it,” he added. “If we were to fail, that failed policy will come to hurt generations of Americans in the future.”

Mr. Blair did not sharply diverge from the president’s analysis. He said the report made important points to pursue: the need for the coalition to bolster the Iraqi government, for regional powers to play a greater role, and for Israeli-Palestinian peace to be actively pursued in order to ease one of the most acute problems in the region.

While the study group’s report held out almost no hope for a military victory in Iraq, Mr. Bush disagreed.

“I believe we’ll prevail,” he said. Of his talks with Mr. Blair, he said, “We agree that victory in Iraq is important.”

The report from the 10-member panel calls for the United States to open negotiations on stabilizing Iraq with Syria and Iran – a proposal advanced last month by Mr. Blair in a major policy speech.

But Mr. Bush cautioned that, “If people come to the table to discuss Iraq they need to come understanding their responsibilities to not fund terrorists, to help this young democracy survive, to help with the economics of the country.

“And if people are not committed,” the president added, “if Syria and Iran is not committed to that concept, then they shouldn’t bother to show up.”

Mr. Blair, for his part, said that the report “offers a strong way forward.”

Bringing peace to Israel and the Palestinians, he said, would “send a very strong signal not just to the region but to the whole world that we are even-handed and just in the application of our values.”

Mr. Bush said that Mr. Blair would soon be traveling to the region for talks with both sides, and he gave the visit his strong endorsement.

Some British press reports said Mr. Blair had been planning to press the president to drop his opposition to a unity government in Palestine that involves Hamas, the militant group, in order to move forward on peace talks. Talks between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority president, Mahmoud Abbas, to form a Palestinian unity government reached an impasse late last month.

Mr. Blair spoke of the need for “an empowered Palestinian government with whom everyone can negotiate,” but said that peace talks could go forward only “on the basis that everyone accepts the other’s right to exist.” That would require Hamas to drop its commitment to Israel’s destruction.

In a major speech on Nov. 13, Mr. Blair called for a “whole Middle East strategy” centered around a fresh focus on resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. He offered a “partnership” to Syria and Iran provided that they refused to support terrorists and halted any efforts to obtain nuclear weapons.

But at least on Iran, Mr. Bush did not swerve from earlier pronouncements.

“We have made it clear to the Iranians that there is a possibility of change to U.S. policy,” he said, and that was “that if they would like to engage the United States, that they’ve got to verifiably suspend their enrichment program.”

The embrace of the Iraq Study Group’s call for progress on Israeli-Palestinian peace could also be complicated by Israeli reservations.

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Thursday rejected the panel’s conclusion that a concerted effort to resolve conflicts between Israel and its neighbors would help stabilize Iraq. Mr. Olmert also rejected the panel’s call for Israel to open negotiations with Syria, but said that Israelis wanted "with all our might" to reopen peace talks with the Palestinians.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/world/middleeast/08prexycnd.html?em&ex=1165640400&en=3132cd3a976fca57&ei=5087%0A

frets5150
12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Nothing surprizing here everything will turnout ok cause Chimpy said so.

:rolleyes:

Steve Savicki
12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't think Bush has anything to lose as far as his reputation is concerned so even if he did face reality, what could happen?

Then again... maybe lots can be accomplished in the remaining 2 years.

BITEYOASS
12-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Since when has bush ever faced reality? I could tell him WTF reality is, reality is hoping that the rocket attacks that happen 1-3 times a month don't hit where the several hundred tons of 500 lbs. bombs are stored at.

blueturk
12-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Here's an excerpt from the Bush/Blair press conference that shows what kind of grasp Dubya has of the situation. BTW, how do you talk to "families that die"?

"Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die. I understand there's sectarian violence. . . . I also believe we're going to succeed. I believe we'll prevail. And we want our combat troops out as quick as possible. We want the Iraqis taking the fight. But it's very important to be -- as we design programs -- to be flexible and realistic. And as the report said -- I don't -- got the exact words, but it was along the lines of depending upon conditions, I believe is what the qualifier was. And I thought that made a lot of sense. I've always said we'd like our troops out as fast as possible. I think that's an important goal. . . .

On the other hand, our commanders will be making recommendations based upon whether or not we're achieving our stated objective. And the objective, I repeat, is a government which can sustain, govern, and defend itself -- free government of Iraq that can do that -- and will be an ally in this movement -- against this movement that is threatening peace and stability."

FORD
12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Republicans are starting to wake up. Anybody catch Gordon Smith's little speech on the Senate floor today?

Nickdfresh
12-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Time to fire the biotch then...

Little Texan
12-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
the president seemed to resist the idea of withdrawing most combat troops, saying that if the United States fails to establish a stable and secure Iraq, it will haunt Americans for years.

So, the war is going to haunt Americans for years to come, much the same way this Administration is!

"Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die.

God this fucker is so retarded! What, is he using a psychic medium (John Edward, perhaps?) to speak to these dead families?

And as the report said -- I don't -- got the exact words, but it was along the lines of depending upon conditions, I believe is what the qualifier was. And I thought that made a lot of sense.

You're the only one, then, cause I sure as hell can't make out what the fuck your retarded ass just said!

Nitro Express
12-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Blair has two months left. He's going to stay the course then it's the next guys problem. Bush has two years left. He will continue to run the country like a spoiled two year old. I'm the decider! Wah! wah! When he gets in trouble he runs to daddy.

blueturk
12-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
... Bush has two years left. He will continue to run the country like a spoiled two year old. I'm the decider! Wah! wah! When he gets in trouble he runs to daddy.

Truer words etc. etc....here Dubya tries to compare himself to Truman and pretty much tells everybody to shut the hell up because he's still the boss....

WASHINGTON - Top Democrats in Congress left a White House meeting with President Bush on Friday frustrated over what they perceived as his reluctance to embrace major recommendations from the bipartisan Iraq Study Group.

Democrats emphasized to Bush in separate meetings the dire need for the administration to revamp its Iraq policy.

But they emerged saying they don't expect him to embrace all 79 recommendations made this week by the panel, which was chaired by former Secretary of State James Baker and former Rep. Lee Hamilton, D-Ind.

Bush said he talked about "the need for a new way forward in Iraq" in his session with leaders from both parties and chambers of Congress, "and we talked about the need to work together on this important subject."

But some Democrats came away unconvinced that major changes were coming.

"I just didn't feel there today, the president in his words or his demeanor, that he is going to do anything right away to change things drastically," Senate Majority Leader-elect Harry Reid, D-Nev., said following the Oval Office meeting.

"He is tepid in what he talks about doing. Someone has to get the message to this man that there have to be significant changes."

Instead, Bush began his talk by comparing himself to Harry Truman, who launched the Truman Doctrine to fight communism, got bogged down in the Korean War and left office unpopular.

Bush said that "in years to come they realized he was right, and then his doctrine became the standard for America," recalled Senate Majority Whip-elect Richard Durbin, D-Ill.

"He's trying to position himself in history and to justify those who continue to stand by him, saying sometimes if you're right you're unpopular, and be prepared for criticism," Durbin said.

Durbin said he challenged Bush's analogy, reminding him that Truman had the NATO alliance behind him and negotiated with his enemies at the United Nations. Durbin said that's what the Iraq Study Group is recommending Bush do now -- work more with allies and negotiate with adversaries on Iraq.

Bush, Durbin said, "reacted very strongly. He got very animated in his response" and emphasized that he is "the commander in chief."

Bush had a friendlier afternoon meeting with leaders from the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of 44 conservative House Democrats united primarily on fiscal conservatism. Bush apparently was feeling them out to see whether their political agenda could dovetail with his.

But even they emphasized they expect to see him revamp Iraq policy.

"Obviously, he was most passionate in defending his position on Iraq," said Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark. "But we made it clear to him that the American people are ready for a new direction in Iraq. I think he's open to that. Maybe not all 79, but I think you'll see some of the recommendations from the Iraq Study Group implemented in the coming months."

Bush has been cool to some of the report's main recommendations. He has said he won't deal with Iran until it verifiably suspends its nuclear enrichment program and won't sit down with Syria until it stays out of Lebanon's political affairs and prevents the flow of weapons and cash to insurgents in Iraq.

And Bush has stressed many times that U.S. troops will stay in Iraq until they successfully complete their mission.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/16200710.htm

Nickdfresh
12-10-2006, 03:28 PM
The full report is located here (http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Pubs/iraqstudygroup_findings.pdf) in PDF...