PDA

View Full Version : St Paul's tomb unearthed in Rome

FORD
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
St Paul's tomb unearthed in Rome
By Christian Fraser
BBC News, Rome

Archaeologists working for the Vatican have unearthed a sarcophagus containing what they believe are the remains of St Paul the Apostle.

The tomb dates back to at least AD390 and was found in a crypt under a basilica in Rome.

It has long been thought that the crypt contained the tomb of St Paul but the altar had hidden it.

St Paul was an influential early Christian who travelled widely in the Mediterranean area in the 1st Century.

Excavations at the site began in 2002 and were completed last month.

Ancient pilgrims

The cathedral of St Paul's Outside the Walls is the largest church in Rome after St Peter's.

For the past three years, archaeologists have been excavating underneath the altar to remove two huge slabs of marble and now, for the first time in almost 1700 years, the sarcophagus of St Paul is on public view.

The original inscription on the top reads: Paolo Apostolo Martyr - Latin for "Paul Apostle Martyr".

The holes through which the ancient pilgrims would have pushed pieces of cloth to touch the relic are clearly visible.

"What we can see at the moment through a grating, a new grating that's been put there, is the side of the sarcophagus of Paul which seems to be white marble-like material," said Father Edmund Power, the abbot of the Benedictine Monastery.

St Paul travelled widely through Asia Minor, Greece and Rome in the 1st Century.

His letters to the early churches, found in the Bible's New Testament, are arguably some of the most influential on Christian thinking.

St Paul is said to have been beheaded in AD65 by the Roman Emperor Nero.

His sarcophagus will be on public view for the foreseeable future but the church is yet to rule out the possibility that one day the interior itself will be opened and examined.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/6219656.stm

But wait....... didn't our atheist friends claim that Paul never existed either :confused:

WARF
12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Nice. :)

Good topic FORD!

Seshmeister
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FORD

But wait....... didn't our atheist friends claim that Paul never existed either :confused:

First up that's not proof of anything.

Secondly someone called or later called Paul did exist, he appears to have invented the whole thing.

Paul is the Ron Hubbard of Christianity.

fryingdutchman
12-08-2006, 05:09 AM
I buried Paul....

(Sorry...had to do it on the Lennon anniversary. It's tasteless and classless, I know...)

binnie
12-08-2006, 07:01 AM
This sounds very interesting. I'd be interested to know what was actually in the tomb....

Hardrock69
12-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Right on! Thanks for posting that article.
:cool:

Ellyllions
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I wish my grandfather were alive to see this. He read everything he could get in front of him if it was pertaining to Paul.

WARF
12-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by binnie
This sounds very interesting. I'd be interested to know what was actually in the tomb....

Just don't let Geraldo open it!

Roy Munson
12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Jimmy Hoffa's in there.

WARF
12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Whatever is in there... it probably looks like beef jerky at this point!

Hardrock69
12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I would say it probably looks like dusty old bones at this point....just like the Tomb of Jesus...

Nitro Express
12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I've been to that cathedral. They have some old rusty shackles on display claiming they were the ones St. Paul was put in.

Does any of it matter? It still boils down to belief. Most religions run off of social engineering. The doctrine is just filler. It's the community and your family that keep you in line.

One reason Christianity is losing it's hold on more and more people is the world suddenly got smaller and there is a bigger mix of cultures. People move a lot and family and community no longer are the glue they once were.

I think we appreciate old church's and cathedrals from an artistic point of view but we shure as hell don't want the lack of freedom and thinking those institutions represented.

Hardrock69
12-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Also with the advent of the internet, there is increased communication and sharing of info.

Why do you think it was against the law to read and write in many kingdoms back in the day?

Can't have the peasants getting too smart now....the King might find his subjects know more than he wants them to.

So it is much easier to see through the lies that the Catholic Church have been telling it's flock of SHEEP for 2,000 years.

The internet is the tool that allowed us to pull back the curtain and see the Wizard, er I mean the Pope at work!!!

Seshmeister
12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.coderkeitaro.com/images/saul-of-tarsus.gif

bueno bob
12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Hmm. Certainly interesting, that's for sure.

I'm fairly dismissive of organized religion in general, but I'm not about to discount the historical significance of the players in the bible, not by a long shot.

Very interesting.

Golden AWe
12-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I talked about this on a finnish website. Partly from what I've studied since the Jesus-thread here, I ran into a debate when criticizing Paul.

It's funny that if I talk about all those historical things involving Paul I immediately become a person who "hates christians and Jesus", there apparently is no room for open discussion on this subject. Open debate my ass...

Coyote
12-12-2006, 07:09 AM
All I want to know is: How do they know it's Paul?
What kind ID does the dead bastard have with him? A drivers license? A tattoo?

WARF
12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
I talked about this on a finnish website. Partly from what I've studied since the Jesus-thread here, I ran into a debate when criticizing Paul.

It's funny that if I talk about all those historical things involving Paul I immediately become a person who "hates christians and Jesus", there apparently is no room for open discussion on this subject. Open debate my ass...

Dude, that what I fucking hate about some people.
That's why I am heavily against the group think mentality.
I also ain't too crazy about organized religion as well... but being an atheist myself at one point in my life... and now being a true believer... It's really important to have a open discussion... and listen to everyone's opinion. Sometimes I think alot of Christians get very defensive about their beliefs, because alot of them are constantly tryin' to convert other people. In my case, I used to laugh at all those Christians walking around passing out "Jesus Cards" they always seemed like USED CAR SALESMEN to me. Anyways... I know God and Jesus is real because I've seen god with my own eyes. (And no it wasn't the grey haired beard version called Santa Claus that Katydid saw! lol)
So fuck those hypocrites Golden Awe. Keep the discussion here at the Roth Army!

We must cleanse you from being a homo nazi!!!

uh u hu hu huh u hu

FORD
12-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by WARF
. Anyways... I know God and Jesus is real because I've seen god with my own eyes. (And no it wasn't the grey haired beard version called Santa Claus that Katydid saw! lol)

You weren't on drugs at the time, were you?

This kid who used to live across the street from me said he took a bunch of acid and saw Jesus ride up on a Harley.

Hardrock69
12-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey, listen to "Let's Make A Dope Deal".

Tommy Chong played Black Sabbath at 78 speed and saw God!

WARF
12-12-2006, 10:41 AM
If I shared my story with you FORD, you would never believe it.

WARF
12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Hey, listen to "Let's Make A Dope Deal".

Tommy Chong played Black Sabbath at 78 speed and saw God!

Didn't Geezer Butler start Black Sabbath from a demon he saw?
lol
That's freakin' nuts!!
Heavy metal got started from a drugged out demon possession.

FORD
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
If I shared my story with you FORD, you would never believe it.

You might be surprised. I've seen many things in this world that cannot be explained through "ordinary rational" means. But I can't say I've ever seen God face to face.

FORD
12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Didn't Geezer Butler start Black Sabbath from a demon he saw?
lol
That's freakin' nuts!!
Heavy metal got started from a drugged out demon possession.

Actually, that's how he wrote the song "Black Sabbath", which is pretty evident in the lyric, "Big black shape with eyes of fire......"