PDA

View Full Version : Any Vintage Ibanez fans, HELP???

MAX
12-08-2006, 11:04 AM
'ello folks and how the hell are ya? :)

Anyhoo, I recently aquired a custom 80's Ibanez. I happen to own/drive a Suburban, so when my ex-drummer/bandmate asked me to help clear out his rehearsal space of which he was being evicted, I was more than happy to help. Little did I know that his former guitarist had left two guitars in there for over five years and nobody had heard a word from the guy. Hence, I aquired this axe as a "gift" or "payment" for helping to move all of the drums, PA, gear and misc shit.

Ok, I've done a lot of research to find what exact model, etc and what have you. Anyway, it's circa 1988. However, it has a Steve Vai "JEM Series" scalloped fretboard from the 18th to 22'nd or whatever fret? Except Vai's model's were in maple and this one 'tis rosewood. Unfortunately, I cannot be exact cos my friend currently has it and is looking for buyers, as am I.

Anyhoo, here's the EXACT body. 'tis the 540SLTD in that canary yellow finish shown second to the right in the upper right corner of this old catalogue.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1989/s.jpg

Again, the neck 'tis custom and has a "Vai" semi-scalloped neck but in rosewood and not maple as with his "JEM 777" series. I'd love to sell it to a speed-weenie who digs axes from said era. I'm gonna eventually put the thing on electronic bay cos I know it will fetch a few bones... However, I figure I'd start offf with some friends. :cool:

Anyone know anything or can add, better yet tell me more about it?

There is also a Washburn but my drummer friend has kept it for parts or what have you? If that might be worth more than this skinny, neon yellow Ibanez, please let me know cos I'm positive I can trade it for helping him?

It's skinny as is the neck. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

ThrillsNSpills
12-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Looks Nice Bro.
Do you have a pic for it Max?
I love thin necks but the scalloped frets wouldn't work for me, but you should have no problem unloading it.

MAX
12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Looks Nice Bro.
Do you have a pic for it Max?
I love thin necks but the scalloped frets wouldn't work for me, but you should have no problem unloading it.

We're going to take pics on Sunday. I'll definitely post them. How the fuck are you Thrills? 'Tis nice to see you!!! :cool:

ThrillsNSpills
12-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by MAX
We're going to take pics on Sunday. I'll definitely post them. How the fuck are you Thrills? 'Tis nice to see you!!! :cool:

Good to see you too.
It's always a shame when someone doesn't play the hell out of their instrument, but the flip side is you sometimes get a gem (no pun intended) at a good price.

Panamark
12-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Japanese or US ?? (Or other)

If its an 88 Jap model, mate !!
You can sell it easily..

I would buy it, if not for the scalloped neck..