PDA

View Full Version : Def Leppard gets busy on "menacing" new album

DrMaddVibe
12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
By Jonathan Cohen
Wed Dec 13, 3:07 PM ET

Veteran British rock outfit Def Leppard will begin recording its next studio album in January at frontman Joe Elliott's house in Dublin.

Basic ideas were hashed out on the road during the band's extensive tour in support of this year's covers album "Yeah!," a first for Def Leppard.

"We've got about five or six songs on the go, and there'll be 11 or 12 on the final version," guitarist Phil Collen told Billboard.com. "We're trying to get it out for next summer, which for us would be amazing. But we've never been this far along. We come off tour, wait six months, then we start writing. We've already got that sorted out.

Collen said the songs thus far have "absolutely" been influenced by the process of making "Yeah!," which featured Def Leppard's spin on songs popularized by Thin Lizzy, the Faces and Mott The Hoople. "We did that so quick," he said. "It was raw, and it didn't demand we sit around for months or years. That really inspired us."

"A lot of the songs are anthemic sounding," Elliott added. "I wouldn't say they could have been on (previous blockbusters) 'Pyromania' or 'Hysteria' but they're in the vein. Sonically, it's a little more like (AC/DC's) 'Back in Black' than, say, 'Hysteria.' It's more driving. The songs we've got so far are leaning that way."

Said Collen, "It's a rawer kind of vibe -- more menacing. More of a live sound. Not too glossy."

While on tour with Journey this year, Def Leppard's members found themselves in the unlikely role of mentor to singer/songwriter Stoll Vaughan, the opening act for the shows.

"He actually ended up traveling on our bus because he had something terrible happen to him," Collen recalled. "While we were on tour, he was driving himself in a Winnebago. It got a flat tire, they towed it and it burst into flames. The only thing that survived was the flat tire."

Reuters/Billboard

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061213/music_nm/defleppard_dc&printer=1

katie
12-13-2006, 06:31 PM
A very boring band indeed.

Ellyllions
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
An album that hearkens back to when they were a ROCK band instead of a pop band?

I'm listening...

Tiki-Tom
12-13-2006, 09:33 PM
An innovator in the field of cheerleader rock. It's been a looooong time since they were anything more than pop fluff.

Please Lepp, go away already.

Terry
12-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Can't say as I'm very excited about this.

Leppard are ensconced in that nostalgic echelon where poeple, by and large, don't care about new material from them. All they want them to do is go out and play material off of High N Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria.

Their last album was so-so, probably better than anything they've done since Adrenalize, but it was a bunch of covers. Not exactly a sign that the world is begging for some new Leppard originals.

Coyote
12-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
"A lot of the songs are anthemic sounding," Elliott added. "I wouldn't say they could have been on (previous blockbusters) 'Pyromania' or 'Hysteria' but they're in the vein.

And there's the problem. Apparently those guys don't have any other standard than "Hysteria"/"Pyromania"...

I wonder when was the last time any one of them listened to "High'n'Dry"? (Or, hell, even "On Through The Night")

Tiki-Tom
12-14-2006, 02:42 AM
Def Leppard and "menacing" in the same sentence? How can that be?

Oh, wait a minute.... By menacing do they mean "Intending to harm"? As in harm my ears?....... Yep, it makes perfect sense.

FORD
12-14-2006, 03:01 AM
Unless Pete Willis is back in the band, I couldn't care less.

That's about the only way I'd believe they were writing "menacing" songs.

binnie
12-14-2006, 04:18 AM
To me, Def Leppard were the only band that made Bon Jovi look half-decent.

But having said that, I could probably sing the enitire Hysteria album backwards, even though I've never owned it.

Go figure....

katie
12-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Pete Willis hasn't picked a guitar up for years.
Plus he is still alcoholic he has good days & bad days.

Same as ED but without the bank balance

DrMaddVibe
12-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by katie
Pete Willis hasn't picked a guitar up for years.
Plus he is still alcoholic he has good days & bad days.

Same as ED but without the bank balance

Yet Halfin hangs out with him..meh, go figure!

Jimmy Jingles
12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Always thought they were quite the 'Faggish' band.

FORD
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by binnie
To me, Def Leppard were the only band that made Bon Jovi look half-decent.

But having said that, I could probably sing the enitire Hysteria album backwards, even though I've never owned it.

Go figure....

Considering there were about 9 radio "singles" from the album and they were all in heavy rotation from 1987 - 1990, that's not hard to imagine at all. Hell, I can't remember if I still have that CD or not. I do remember that it was the last Def Leppard I bought, however.

EbDawson
12-14-2006, 11:21 AM
"A lot of the songs are anthemic sounding," Elliott added. "I wouldn't say they could have been on (previous blockbusters) 'Pyromania' or 'Hysteria' but they're in the vein. Sonically, it's a little more like (AC/DC's) 'Back in Black' than, say, 'Hysteria.'

He's comparing their new stuff to AC/DC? Yeah, right.

WARF
12-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Unless Pete Willis is back in the band, I couldn't care less.

That's about the only way I'd believe they were writing "menacing" songs.

You read my mind!

ppg960
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm curious too see if they can produce an album with a Raw sound.
I liked them in High School.

Hardrock69
12-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Prep Leppard could write a 'menacing' album just as easily as Lindsay Lohan could write the next Cannibal Corpse album....
:rolleyes:

Ellyllions
12-14-2006, 03:59 PM
I like Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell.

katie
12-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions

very gay!

katie
12-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Yet Halfin hangs out with him..meh, go figure!

Nice to see that you are STILL pissed off that i was right about the DLR/EVH Halfin thing.

You are a silly boy (LOL)

Terry
12-14-2006, 09:51 PM

Viv is totally underused in that band.

Collen is what he is.

Tiki-Tom
12-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Viv is totally underused in that band.

Collen is what he is.

Viv's sorry ass has disowned his past. He talks a lot of shit about the types of music he played back in the day so he is exactly where he belongs.

binnie
12-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Viv might as well not be there.

Fucking killer player and he's stuck playing Pour some sugar on Me....

Ellyllions
12-15-2006, 08:17 AM
very gay!

Them or me?

Them? I could care less if they're eating the corn out of each other's shit. I'm not planning on sleeping with either of them.

and if you're talking about me...

You'll never know.;)

Ellyllions
12-15-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYqh2IG3no

I completely respect Def Leppard. Not bands have struggled through as many downfalls as they have and stuck together. This video was taken the year I first saw them. I didn't like them at all for Hysteria. Couldn't forgive them for going Pop...until Viv came in and the album Slang came out. This performance of Rocket BLEW MY SOCKS OFF.

Now, their lead singer is losing his voice and they're still sticking together and making records...Major kudos to them. I haven't liked an album since Slang but I can't throw them out just yet.

I just respect the hell outta that band.

ETA: I would've embedded it but it had been disabled ..

Hardrock69
12-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Oooh Elly....lookit your tongue....me drools.....
;)

CROWBAR
12-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Oooh Elly....lookit your tongue....me drools.....
;)

That's the highlight of this thread hardrock! Def who?:D

binnie
12-18-2006, 05:52 AM
Elly is one hot lady!

DeadMan1984
12-18-2006, 06:29 AM

That's nice. I like Phil Collen and Steve Clark

binnie
12-18-2006, 06:35 AM
Yep, that band died with Steve Clark, to these ears anyway...

Steve Savicki
12-18-2006, 10:05 AM
A very boring band indeed.
Did they become boring when Steve Clark passed away?

binnie
12-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Did they become boring when Steve Clark passed away?

Steve was definately the rock n roll in that band.

But I'd say Mutt's overproduction was the source of the tedium in that band...

Ellyllions
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
In my mind, we don't get to choose which guitarists have been best for that band. Steve left on his own accord.

Might sound harsh, I don't find dead musicians great just because they're dead. Not saying that's what's going on here, but Phil and Viv are really good guitarists by their own right.

Lots of people follow Steve alongside, Dimebag Darrell, as well as Kirk Cobain and Michael Hutchence; just because they died in their prime. Whereas if they didn't particularly stand out to me when they were alive, I don't instantly become a fan just because they're gone.

I respect them all equally as musicians. But I can't discount the work of the living just because they lost a member to a tragedy.

binnie
12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Viv is the best guitar player ever to have been in that band, he's just never been allowed to show it.

I don't think that Steve Clark was an amazing player, but he had more feeling, more dirt, grit and edge than technicians like Phil Collins, who could probably have played circles around him....

CROWBAR
12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Phil Collens is a sterile, bland guitar player who does nothing for me. Steve Clark picked up some slack after Pete Willis got fired, but their best rock was made by him without a doubt. High And Dry is really their only true rock album. The others are pop fluff. Vivian Campbell was castrated upon joining Def Lep. Sad really, as he is a good guitar player. He proved that with Dio. They sold out and became a chicks band with Sugar. Blah! And I don't imagine this latest release will be anything different either. Pass.

Ellyllions
12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Ever notice that most musicians do their best work drunk?

Of course when they sober up, they deny that fact. But you think about truly good music (even the likes of CVH)....it was the best of the worst times in their sobriety chapter.

I couldn't imagine having to usher a bandmate to the stage forcefully the way Joe had to with Steve Clark. To do that had to make being in that band sheer torture.

Ellyllions
12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by CROWBAR
Phil Collens is a sterile, bland guitar player who does nothing for me. Steve Clark picked up some slack after Pete Willis got fired, but their best rock was made by him without a doubt. High And Dry is really their only true rock album. The others are pop fluff. Vivian Campbell was castrated upon joining Def Lep. Sad really, as he is a good guitar player. He proved that with Dio. They sold out and became a chicks band with Sugar. Blah! And I don't imagine this latest release will be anything different either. Pass.

You think Pyromania was girl pop fluff?

Wow, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that before.

binnie
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Hysteria was pop-girl fluff.

Just like Slippery When Wet.....

Ellyllions
12-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Amen Binnie
Amen

CROWBAR
12-18-2006, 11:09 AM
You think Pyromania was girl pop fluff?

Wow, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that before.

Maybe not pop fluff, but the songs from it were definitely made for the MTV crowd back then. And radio single(s)

I guess I like a harder edge to the music Elly.

Ellyllions
12-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I'll give you Photograph.

But the rest of the album is quite amazing to my ears.

To each his/her own babe.

ETA: I do remember Joe Elliot saying that when MTV was born they wanted on it ASAP. His words were this, "We're more like Duran Duran..."

WARF
12-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Here comes Hysteria 2 ANYONE?

Ellyllions
12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Nah, I'll pass on Hysteria 2, 3.

I'll take one "Pyromania II" to go please. And SuperSize it.

CROWBAR
12-18-2006, 11:42 AM
I'll give you Photograph.

But the rest of the album is quite amazing to my ears.

To each his/her own babe.

ETA: I do remember Joe Elliot saying that when MTV was born they wanted on it ASAP. His words were this, "We're more like Duran Duran..."

Agreed!

Steve Savicki
12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions Ever notice that most musicians do their best work drunk?
I guess drugs overdo the best work.