PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Kramer/SPECTOR basses

MAX
12-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Oh dear, boys and their toys...

Anyone familiar with these old gemmies? The reason I ask is that I just purchased one. It's either and '88 or '89? Still waiting for the serial number match.

I've never owned a bass before but this deal was too sweet to pass.

I love the fucker!!! It's light, has a stellar tone and's equipped with clean EMG stock pickups.

I just remember a ton of peeps playin' these Spectors back in the 80's, they were extremely expensive back then. Geddy Lee played one on the Power Windows tour, Sting did the final Police tour with one and Gene Simmons used them for many years. Again, I seem to recall almost every bass player using one in at least one of their videos back in the day. Also, I remember our local music stores wouldn't let us noodle with them, they'd usually be behind counters or in glass cases along with Steinbergers. Fuck, I remember them costing about three grand back in the day.

Anyhoo, I absolutely love this thing. It has a nice sunburst finish. 'Tis black bordering going into a "tobacco-like" wood in the center.

Again, just curious as to anyone's thoughts or opinions regarding them?

Here's what mine looks like or as close of a pic as I could google.

It looks exactly like this with even the same pickup configuration.

http://www.axemusic.com/Pictures/spector_rebop4tobaccosb.jpg

MAX
12-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Here are a cupla other pics so you can see to what I'm referring. Although these one's are a little gawdy with all of the gold hardware and pearl fretboard inlays. Still, beautiful basses IMO.

http://www.kinkodo.com/osusume/img/bass/spector_02.jpg

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/WNAMM00/Golden_Axe/Bass_Unlimited/spector2.jpg

http://www.record-producer.com/i/spektor-bass.jpg

Nitro Express
12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I remember Sting playing his on the Syncronicity tour. He was getting a tone out of it.

DrMaddVibe
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM
If its the P/J pickup config...you've got a damn fine bass.

I own 2 Kramer's and love them both.

Ooops, just saw that you've got the double soapbox config. I haven't played on that particular model to give ya a good opinion.

MAX
12-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
If its the P/J pickup config...you've got a damn fine bass.

I own 2 Kramer's and love them both.

Ooops, just saw that you've got the double soapbox config. I haven't played on that particular model to give ya a good opinion.

Thank you, I think? lol

Seriously, I'm a guitar player and have been for many years. Fuck, I've owned the same Strat since 1983 and I STILL have it!!!

Never been a bassplayer, outside of fucking around but and again, this one was too sweet of a deal to pass up. Now comes buying gear for it!!! :eek:

With that being said and again, I'm not reallt a "bassplayer" I've picked this one up rather easily and the action's great as is the tone. Plugged into my friend's Mesa Boogie bass head with an old ass Marshall cabinet and got a really nice sound out of the EMG "soapbox" pickups.

Again and all in all, I friggin' love this bass. :)

MAX
12-19-2006, 01:53 AM
You know what's the weirdest adjustment for me after playing guitar exclusively for over twenty years? It's playing the bass without a pick. With the guitar, I've always been good using both a pick and my fingers combined. Now and with this bass, I've been trying my damndest to not use a pick and my fingers are definitely paying the price!!!

It will be a miracle if I'll ever be able to pop the strings with my thumb!!! Still, this is fun as fuck though and I'm glad I bought it to go along with the rest of my arsenal.

DrMaddVibe
12-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Chris Squire

John Entwhistle

Gene Simmons

Bobby Vega

Phil Lesh

Paul McCartney

Use picks!!!

I started out playing 6 strings and still do. 2 things that I still do when playing are string bends and playing with a pick. I've found I get a consistant sound when I use one. If you're going to play RHCP you're going to have to throw the pick and slap.

Have fun!

Nitro Express
12-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I have a Fender Bassman reissue amp. The tweed one. Leo Fender designed them to be a bass amp originally and hey, they still do a fine job as a bass amp. I play both my Strat and Geddy Lee Sig Jazz bass through the thing and love it. One amp, two uses!