PDA

View Full Version : The Buzz at Hunter for Hillary

Ally_Kat
12-18-2006, 10:08 PM
The Buzz at Hunter for Hillary
By Sewell Chan

If Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton decides to run for president, she may want to recruit field workers and volunteers from Hunter College.
This morning at Hunter, Mrs. Clinton attended a closed-door meeting with top Bush administration officials – including Dr. John O. Agwunobi, assistant secretary for health at the United States Department of Health and Human Services and Dr. John Howard, head of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health – to discuss the ongoing efforts to help 9/11 rescue and recovery workers who now suffer from respiratory, digestive, muscoskeletal and mental diseases.

Afterwards, the senator held a news conference with three House members from New York – Jerrold L. Nadler, Carolyn B. Maloney and Vito J. Fossella. As she walked out of the college’s west campus building, she was mobbed by enthusiastic students seeking autographs.

Several of the students clutched copies of the 10th anniversary edition, released last week, of Mrs. Clinton’s book “It Takes a Village.” Mrs. Clinton patiently obliged, signing the books – as well as a baseball, a statistics textbook and even scraps of looseleaf paper. She did not make any public comments about her political aspirations.
“I got her signature!” exclaimed Leandro Gallo, 20-year-old freshman from Brazil who lives on the East Side, showing off a half-page of lined looseleaf with Mrs. Clinton’s John Hancock. Mr. Gallo said that news of the senator’s visit had taken the students by surprise. “I didn’t know she was going to be here.”

Hunter College’s student body is three-quarters female and overwhelmingly black, Latino or Asian; one-quarter of students are the first in their families to attend college. Many are working and studying at the same time. The demographic profile may speak to the strength of the enthusiasm shown for Mrs. Clinton.

Ally_Kat
12-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I was actually there. There was 15-20 of us in the outside lobby eating when she came out. She was surrounded by press and her security. One student had her book, but it was the Living History one which is required reading in the Women in Politics class.

My brother and I did a total "WTF" when we saw the baseball and the bat thing.

Despite the press all over the building today and despite 9/11 meeting posters all over the West building, the students didn't know what was going on -- which is sort of embarassing.

It was fun sneaking into the meeting room and listening to the reporters talk to one another while they were writing and cleaning up shop. Lots of peeps would be surprised to hear the chit-chat that goes on.

edit -- (forgot to add) She's shorter than I thought she be. Anyone here with an idea of what her stated height is? She appeared to be around 5ft to 5ft2. I know she's getting older and sometimes ladies shrink as they age, but I remember her not being too short when standing next to Bill -- and he's rather tall, isn't he? Unless I'm just totally off memory-wise with this.

knuckleboner
12-19-2006, 10:02 AM
wait...which hilary are we talking about?...;)

(and bill's something like 6 foot 1.)

FORD
12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
According to this site of random Presidential statistics (http://www.fi.edu/school/math/presidents.html), Bill Clinton is 6'2˝".

Of course the same site has Poppy Bush as just ˝ inch shorter than that, and he never looked that tall to me.

The page is way out of date, so it doesn't have any stats on Chimpy.

BigBadBrian
12-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat

It was fun sneaking into the meeting room and listening to the reporters talk to one another while they were writing and cleaning up shop. Lots of peeps would be surprised to hear the chit-chat that goes on.

Anything interesting?