PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana is now the largest cash crop in the United States!

Hardrock69
12-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Marijuana largest US cash crop, law reform advocate says
US official rejects push to legalize

By David Alexander, Reuters | December 19, 2006

WASHINGTON -- US growers produce nearly $35 billion worth of marijuana annually, making the illegal drug the country's largest cash crop, bigger than corn and wheat combined, an advocate of medical marijuana use said in a study released yesterday.

The report, conducted by Jon Gettman, a public policy analyst and former head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, also concluded that five US states produce more than $1 billion worth of marijuana apiece: California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii, and Washington.

California's production alone was about $13.8 billion, according to Gettman, who waged an unsuccessful six-year legal battle to force the government to remove marijuana from a list of drugs deemed to have no medical value.

Tom Riley, a spokesman for the US Office of National Drug Control Policy, said he could not confirm the report's conclusions on the size of the country's marijuana crop. But he said the government estimated overall US illegal drug use at $200 billion annually.

Gettman's figures were based on several government reports between 2002 and 2005 estimating the United States produced more than 10,000 metric tons of marijuana annually.

He calculated the producer price per pound of marijuana at $1,606 based on national survey data indicating retail prices of between $2,400 and $3,000 between 2001 and 2005.

The total value of 10,000 metric tons of marijuana at $1,606 per pound would be $35.8 billion.

By comparison, the United States produced an average of nearly $23.3 billion worth of corn annually from 2003 to 2005, $17.6 billion worth of soybeans, $12.2 billion worth of hay, nearly $11.1 billion worth of vegetables, and $7.4 billion worth of wheat, the report said.

Riley said illegal drug use was a "serious part of the economy," but he rejected the notion of an economic argument for legalizing marijuana.

He said marijuana use was an "inherently harmful activity" with serious physical and mental health consequences.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/12/19/marijuana_largest_us_cash_crop_law_reform_advocate _says/

WARF
12-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Quit smoking cigarettes!
And smoke WEED!!!
It's better for you!!!

FORD
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
The fact that the US government refuses to legalize marijuana, or the Hemp plant in general, despite the HUGE tax revenue potential is proof in and of itself that they profit MORE from its continued suppression.

There's probably more coke and heroin sales involved in BCE/CIA "under the table" fundraising than marijuana. But the illicit robbery of their friends in the pharmaceutical industry more than makes up for it. Marijuana could replace several prescription drugs, with far fewer side effects.

Problem is, you can't patent a fucking plant. Only God has the copyrights on ganja.

WARF
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Why are bars legal?
If drunk driving isn't?

FORD
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by WARF
Why are bars legal?
If drunk driving isn't?

Never mind that..... why the FUCK are convenience stores, which are almost always built around GAS STATIONS, allowed to sell alcohol???

WARF
12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Fuck the alcohol at gas stations!

Why do they sell LIGHTERS and give out FREE MATCHES???

m_dixon1984
12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Last time I was in Florida I saw drive-thru liquor and beer stores. Is this the right message for our kids?

I really think that my country is going to someday "Legalize It". It won't be open season like some want, the gov. is going to control and restrict it, but we'll be smokin' legally in my lifetime. I'm sure of it.

But...what do I care...really. I smoke all want anyway and I'm not some dumbass who does it in public and gets caught or deals to children. It's not like the Canadian police are coming to otherwise law-abiding citizens homes and busting them. Start dealing in the school yard, however, and you'll soon be seen in your underwear on COPS (OK, if COPS filmed in Canada that is)

M

WARF
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
Last time I was in Florida I saw drive-thru liquor and beer stores. Is this the right message for our kids?

Most of these liquor stores are located in the urban parts of South Florida.

First we made black people our slaves...
Now we liquor them up... and let them go around and kill each other...
I'm glad out country can rebuild other countries like IRAQ.
While the homeless still sleep on our streets...

Douglas T.
12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Why do they sell those little roses in glass tubes!! I find them everyday behind my studio used as crack pipes! funny I follow the trail from the store ... first the wrapper ... then the cork ends .... then the flower ... all discarded and leading to a used crack pipe and some brilloused as a screen! they store clerck even stocks them together on the shelf next to the bongs and mini baggies! DT throws arms up in disgust!!:mad:

Douglas T.
12-19-2006, 06:13 PM
How's it go in some states ... you can only buy beer in bulk? Not like here where they sell singles!

VanHalener
12-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Marijuana largest US cash crop, law reform advocate says
US official rejects push to legalize

By David Alexander, Reuters | December 19, 2006

WASHINGTON -- US growers produce nearly $35 billion worth of marijuana annually, making the illegal drug the country's largest cash crop, bigger than corn and wheat combined, an advocate of medical marijuana use said in a study released yesterday.

The report, conducted by Jon Gettman, a public policy analyst and former head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, also concluded that five US states produce more than $1 billion worth of marijuana apiece: California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii, and Washington.

California's production alone was about $13.8 billion, according to Gettman, who waged an unsuccessful six-year legal battle to force the government to remove marijuana from a list of drugs deemed to have no medical value.

Tom Riley, a spokesman for the US Office of National Drug Control Policy, said he could not confirm the report's conclusions on the size of the country's marijuana crop. But he said the government estimated overall US illegal drug use at $200 billion annually.

Gettman's figures were based on several government reports between 2002 and 2005 estimating the United States produced more than 10,000 metric tons of marijuana annually.

He calculated the producer price per pound of marijuana at $1,606 based on national survey data indicating retail prices of between $2,400 and $3,000 between 2001 and 2005.

The total value of 10,000 metric tons of marijuana at $1,606 per pound would be $35.8 billion.

By comparison, the United States produced an average of nearly $23.3 billion worth of corn annually from 2003 to 2005, $17.6 billion worth of soybeans, $12.2 billion worth of hay, nearly $11.1 billion worth of vegetables, and $7.4 billion worth of wheat, the report said.

Riley said illegal drug use was a "serious part of the economy," but he rejected the notion of an economic argument for legalizing marijuana.

He said marijuana use was an "inherently harmful activity" with serious physical and mental health consequences.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/12/19/marijuana_largest_us_cash_crop_law_reform_advocate _says/

Now that's a lot of mexican agrigculture. There are so many appliocations for hemp/weed plants. For one...
http://forestry.about.com/cs/alternativeforest/a/hemp_vs_wood_2.htm

Nitro Express
12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Damn! I'm missing out on it! I better hurry up and grow some!

Eyes of the Night
12-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Smokin' the chronic as I type yo:cool: ...

Hellarious El Warfo ...

ODShowtime
12-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Douglas T.
Why do they sell those little roses in glass tubes!! I find them everyday behind my studio used as crack pipes!

uh.... because people need crackpipes...

Golden AWe
12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
the green line™