PDA

View Full Version : Unrealized potential

Tiki-Tom
12-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Some of my favorite records have been by groups that never quite got the chance to acheive mass appeal for whatever reason.

For instance, every time I listen to Mother Love Bone, I can't help but wonder what more they would have acheived had Andrew Wood not died so soon. Wood took a page from DLR with his witty "off the chain" lyrics and flamboyant presence and put his own unique funk/rock spin on it. He passed away in 1990 just before the release of their their first and only album "Apple." Rarely do I play that or their EP "Shine" around other people and someone not take notice. I really feel they would've been huge-one of the biggest bands of the nineties. Instead, we ended up with Pearl Jam who I know a lot of you get into but just not my thing.

Really interested to hear if anybody else here has any favorites that shoulda, coulda, but didn't.

http://lnx.musicaroma.com/files/mlbpromo1.png http://www.kindamuzik.net/gfx/andrewwood-grp-0404.jpg http://lnx.musicaroma.com/files/andylive1.png

MERRYKISSMASS2U
12-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Actually, I just checked out Mother Love Bone tonight because of Binnie..... I like it!

Tiki-Tom
12-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
Actually, I just checked out Mother Love Bone tonight because of Binnie..... I like it!
Cool, They have been on the top of my favorites list for years. If you get the chance to hunt it down, there is a lot of demo stuff by Andrew Wood's former band Malfunkshun floating around. It's worth looking up also.

MALFUNKSHUN - MR LIBERTY - JEZEBEL WOMAN
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xevvdh97cdI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xevvdh97cdI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mother Love Bone- Holy Roller
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDY2DVju1c4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDY2DVju1c4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mother Love Bone - Stardog Champion
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G63MrbCYvU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G63MrbCYvU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mother Love Bone - Chloe Dancer - Crown of Thorns
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqwTDt2dBVU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqwTDt2dBVU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

MERRYKISSMASS2U
12-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I'm downloading "Malfunkshun - Return to Olympus" right now.

Tiki-Tom
12-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Great ,Let me know what you think.
It's not as good as MLB but still great for a low grade/budget recording. Rest in Peace Andrew Wood.... January , 1966 – March 19, 1990

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Mother Love Bone were just magical....

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Tiki, I know exactly what you mean about loving records from bands that should have been bigger.

Case in point

Badlands.

Their first record, in particular, kicks major ass. Jake E Lee is such an underrated player and he wrote killer fuckin riffs. Ray Gillan's voice was also spectacualr. They didn't do anything new, but they rocked big time.

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Another record I recommend

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come (possibly the Sound of Punk to come, I'm drunk and can't remember)

Came out in 1996, rocked like a beast. They were very poltical punk band, who pretty much revolutionised underground harcore punk and got ripped off big time by At the Drive in etc five years later. This record is stagering, if you like punk.

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Corrosion of Conformity.

Not enough people appreciate this band. The Pepper Keenan era in particualr is flawless: reallt heavy, but based on great tunes.

Deliverence (1994)

Wiseblood (1996)

America's Volume Dealer (a different sound, more stoner feel but still great)

In the Arms of God (best record I've heard for years - 2004)

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Warroir Soul.

Kory CLarke and co were great. Fucked up heavy metal, and at times plain weird.

No big-ego performances on these records, it's all about songs not musicianship.

Loud, pummeling heavy metal with an intelligent twist. You'll not have heard anything like it.

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Fu Manchu.

Possibly music's best kept secret.

Funky, stoner rock. More Sabbath than Sabbath, groovy as hell.

I've never met anyone who's heard them and not liked them.

binnie
12-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Finally, I would recommend and English rock n roll band The Wildhearts.

Great heavy rock with big hooks, dirty vibes and groove. Drunks with a sense of humour,

Check out Earth vs The Wildhearts (I don't think you'll be dissapointed!)

Hardrock69
12-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Michael Schenker Group....

FORD
12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Another vote for Landrew and Mother Love Bone. They could have been huge. Probably more so than Pearl Jam turned out to be. Like Jimi before him, and Kurt & Layne after, so much fucking potential gone way too soon :(

There was a band from the 90's called "Sublime" who I thought had potential. They had a rock reggae mix which didn't sound totally ridiculous (like most white boys trying to do reggae)

They also had a bit of Chili Peppers influence. Maybe a little too much, since lead singer Bradley Nowell stuck a needle in himself and overdosed just as their career was taking off.

FORD
12-20-2006, 11:49 AM
And in a different sort of tragedy.......

The 77s are STILL the best band in America that nobody has fucking heard of!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRTh6toL8Ns"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRTh6toL8Ns" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Roy Munson
12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come is a killer record.

Big Wreck should have been huge. One of the best straight-up rock bands I've ever seen or heard.

Roy Munson
12-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Manmade God is another band that was great a couple of years ago.

DrMaddVibe
12-20-2006, 12:25 PM
The Mono Men!!!

Tiki-Tom
12-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Tiki, I know exactly what you mean about loving records from bands that should have been bigger.

Case in point

Badlands, Corrosion of Conformity, Warroir Soul, Fu Manchu, Wildhearts, Refused.

All great mentions aside from Refused. Never heard 'em. Will have to check them out.

SparkieD
12-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Kyuss! Way cooler than any of that QotSA bullshit. Josh Homme is better off tuning down and playing through a bass amp along with John Garcia's brilliant vocal delivery! Heavier than a sonic fuckin' boom!

Tiki-Tom
12-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Speakin' of John Garcia, his band Hermano kicks the shit out of QotSA.

Hermano rocks and should be heard.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
12-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Case in point

Badlands.

Their first record, in particular, kicks major ass. Jake E Lee is such an underrated player and he wrote killer fuckin riffs. Ray Gillan's voice was also spectacualr. They didn't do anything new, but they rocked big time.

Can you somehow send me this record? I can't find it!

Mr Badguy
12-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Rainbow with RJD.

"Rising" should have sold 10 million.

Then we would have been spared "Since you been gone" and "I surrender".

Seshmeister
12-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I heard them piped in a supermarket the other night which is just fucked up on a number of levels...:)

Seshmeister
12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I'll just add my usual link to Love/Hate that I do in every thread like this that ever appears.

http://www.lovehate.com/

Download at least their first two albums from that link with a clean conscience. They should have been huge I think they were maybe just a year too late. Great live too back in the day,

Seshmeister
12-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
Can you somehow send me this record? I can't find it!

It's a very good album, is it deleted now? It's a bit like Zepplin but not in a Kingdom Come way...

binnie
12-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I'll just add my usual link to Love/Hate that I do in every thread like this that ever appears.

http://www.lovehate.com/

Download at least their first two albums from that link with a clean conscience. They should have been huge I think they were maybe just a year too late. Great live too back in the day,

I can't beleive I forgot to mention them!

A phenomenal band: first two records are fucking killer, they were doing something so different for the early 90's: loud, rude, dirty, sleezy and mean with psycho-edge.

binnie
12-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
All great mentions aside from Refused. Never heard 'em. Will have to check them out.

You need to hear "The shape of punk to come."

It's as simple as that.

binnie
12-21-2006, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Manmade God is another band that was great a couple of years ago.

What do they sound like?

DrMaddVibe
12-21-2006, 06:46 AM
David + David

Wall of Voodoo

Brother Cane

Stranger

Roy Munson
12-21-2006, 12:16 PM
What do they sound like?

Hard to pinpoint. Kinda stoner rock meets Alice In Chains meets Soundgarden?

I bought their CD when it first came out ,some good stuff on it.

Tiki-Tom
12-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Here's another pick of mine
King of Kings, a great one record band from 1991. Very hard to track down now. I love this one so much that I made a couple of backup copy's just in case . It was the first band to be signed to David Geffen's now defunct DGC label and was produced by Roy Thomas Baker. I guess someone thought they had a lot of potential to have these two working with an unknown group. Too bad they never got a lot of exposure. Their sound is very dark and sabbath like but with jazz overtones and spacey, out there sound effects. The musicians know how to play their instruments very well as there are few intricate freeform jazz parts on it. Extremely original band that worth getting if ya can find it.

ppg960
12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
The Tradgicaly Hip - Still together but can't crack the US market.

Brighton Rock - Great vocals and riffs. Opened for bands like Kiss, Boston, and Triump. Again did great in Canada but nothing in the US market.

fe_lung
12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Grant Lee Phillips is the first name that comes to mind. Amazing singer, great songwriter.

Richard Thompson as well - another fantastic songwriter and guitarist.

There was a hip-hop/soul unit called Basshead in the early nineties that had a lot of potential but didn't get to make more than a couple of records.

Daniel Lanois is great.

Nick Cave could stand to be a hell of a lot more well known in North America.

Soooo many.

BTW: Now that I think of them, Badlands were pretty decent. The got thrown in the "Zepplin rip-off" category and it really wasn't deserved. Mostly due to the singer, I think. But Jake E Lee did some good work on that record.

fe_lung
12-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ppg960
The Tradgicaly Hip - Still together but can't crack the US market.

And you can probably name 5 bands that do a watered down version of what they do but are all huge in the US.

Tiki-Tom
12-22-2006, 10:28 PM
--Fishbone --
Their still around but they should get more respect. These guys have been kickin ass for years.

ppg960
12-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
And you can probably name 5 bands that do a watered down version of what they do but are all huge in the US.

I hear you.
Why these guys can't break the US barrier is beyond me. About 10 years ago, we drove down to Minniapolis to see them in a club. The place went nuts for these guys.
In Canada, they sell out 15,000 seat areas regularly..
Go figure.

SparkieD
12-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Wolfsbane. Blaze Bayley left them to join Maiden, but it's really too bad Rick Rubin didn't promote these guys more. They had it going on. Rambunctious and fun, not technically great, but very catchy tunes.

Antman
12-28-2006, 11:20 PM
The Sundays

binnie
12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Hard to pinpoint. Kinda stoner rock meets Alice In Chains meets Soundgarden?

I bought their CD when it first came out ,some good stuff on it.

Sounds fantastic.

I'll be trackin them down....

Roy Munson
12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, and Fishbone should have been HUGE.

One of my fave bands of all-time.

Tiki-Tom
12-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Kula Shaker
A British band that only put out a couple of record's in the late 90's. The music is modern psychedelic rock with a heavily Indian influenced sound. They became fairly big in England but never really made a mark here in the USA. Kula Shaker's debut album "K" is one hell of a good record.

bueno bob
12-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Fu Manchu.

Possibly music's best kept secret.

Funky, stoner rock. More Sabbath than Sabbath, groovy as hell.

I've never met anyone who's heard them and not liked them.

I gave up on them after King of the Road, for the most part; California Crossing was OK, but they just started losing their edge and getting too friendly...I don't want Scott Hall making sense, lyrically...

The music itself just isn't as heavy as it should be these days...their best, most defining moment was (for me), Eatin' Dust (the 8 song version, not the Man's Ruin "Godzilla's Eatin' Dust" 10 incher)...

I honestly hated Start the Machine, but I was very much into the prior EP, "Something Beyond"...

I'd love to see a regression back to what worked with "Eatin' Dust", I really feel that was their creative peak...actually if they could combine "No One Rides for Free", "Daredevil", "In Search of", "The Action is Go" and "Eatin Dust" with the sheer aggression of their pre-Bong Load singles...

I'd mess myself...

bueno bob
12-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by SparkieD
Wolfsbane. Blaze Bayley left them to join Maiden, but it's really too bad Rick Rubin didn't promote these guys more. They had it going on. Rambunctious and fun, not technically great, but very catchy tunes.

"Live Fast, Die Fast" had the most energy in a debut LP I had heard since Van Halen 1.

Blaze was outstanding...Jase Edwards was a fucking GOD on the guitar...

The only low point I thought the album had was Tears from a Fool - but the funny thing is, even when Wolfsbane was bad, it was GOOD...

I really need copies of Massive Noise Injection and the self titled farewell album...can't find that shit anywhere...

WACF
12-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Big Sugar...

Gordie Johnson has a killer guitar sound.

Deadly live show,

SparkieD
12-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
"Live Fast, Die Fast" had the most energy in a debut LP I had heard since Van Halen 1.

Blaze was outstanding...Jase Edwards was a fucking GOD on the guitar...

The only low point I thought the album had was Tears from a Fool - but the funny thing is, even when Wolfsbane was bad, it was GOOD...

I really need copies of Massive Noise Injection and the self titled farewell album...can't find that shit anywhere...

LFDF is a killer album. A tough act to follow, but they managed to get better and better. Jase Edwards was only 17 or 18 when that album came out, so by the time Down Fall the Good Guys was recorded, he had become quite extraordinary. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the similarity to VH.

I had a hell of a time getting a hold of all Wolfsbane's stuff way back, but now that there's Ebay you should be able to find those two. If not, PM me. I can hook you up.

Mr. Vengeance
12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Kings of the Sun. Brilliant stuff!

TSOL

Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction

Rose Tattoo

The Almighty

Tiki-Tom
12-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Shit, I almost forgot to add King's X.
This band still sounds amazing after all these years.
Even though they have done well and put out loads of excellent music, the band has never gotten the respect they should have.

Mr. Vengeance
12-31-2006, 02:21 PM
And don't forget Canada's coolest metal act- Anvil!!!! They're still around making albums.

WACF
12-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
And don't forget Canada's coolest metal act- Anvil!!!! They're still around making albums.

Really...I had no idea they still existed.

Mr. Vengeance
12-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Really...I had no idea they still existed.

Their 13th album is coming out and they have a gig in Toronto with Piledriver opening. I should get my spike armbands and jacket and head there to re-live 1985!

Diamondjimi
12-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Warroir Soul.

Kory CLarke and co were great. Fucked up heavy metal, and at times plain weird.

No big-ego performances on these records, it's all about songs not musicianship.

Loud, pummeling heavy metal with an intelligent twist. You'll not have heard anything like it.

Hell yeah !!!

W.S. should've been huge.

fe_lung
12-31-2006, 09:13 PM
I hear you.
Why these guys can't break the US barrier is beyond me. About 10 years ago, we drove down to Minniapolis to see them in a club. The place went nuts for these guys.
In Canada, they sell out 15,000 seat areas regularly..
Go figure.

See also:
The Ramones

binnie
01-01-2007, 01:57 PM

The Almighty

Wow I thought I was the only one!

I can't find the words to express how much I love this band, saw them last week and they could take just about any other band live.

I'd say start with Powertrippin', through Crank (best record, IMO) then Just Add Life for a little punk/metal musical diversity.

Newer records like The ALmighty alos kick major ass.

Heavy as hell, no ego-soloing, every tunes a winner and lyrics that most people would die to write.

The first too records, Blood, fire and Love and Soul Destruction were great too, although they were essentially late 80's biker metal, lacking the musical depth of latter releases. Stil great to rock out to though...

The_KiD
01-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Kula Shaker
A British band that only put out a couple of record's in the late 90's. The music is modern psychedelic rock with a heavily Indian influenced sound. They became fairly big in England but never really made a mark here in the USA. Kula Shaker's debut album "K" is one hell of a good record.

Yep, could not agree more..

Cheers,

KiD

The_KiD
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
The Stereophonics also come to mind. I have seen them live here in DC at the 930 Club and they are a phenominal band in aspects are HUGE in the UK. Definitely worth checking out if you are not familiar..

KiD

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/s4pilot/Stereophonics-You-Gotta-Go-There-To.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/s4pilot/6c6b124128a050311d83b010__AA240__L.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/s4pilot/B000EU1PI2_01__AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/s4pilot/B0007OTWQW_01__AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

katie
01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Lone Star - Welsh band from 1976 with Paul Chapman on guitar (UFO) Produced by Roy Thomas Baker.

Sheer Class!

Tiki-Tom
01-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by The_KiD
Yep, could not agree more..

Cheers,

KiD

It's cool to find another Kula fan:D Most people I know have never heard of them. Sparkie gets ill every time I play their stuff. I can't help myself though. I dig'em :p

I Will have to give The Stereophonics a listen.

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 04:34 AM
SAVATAGE...

"Edge of Thorns", 1993...Zak Stevens was the new vocalist then...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eku_C1JaZbo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eku_C1JaZbo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 04:37 AM
"Hall of the Mountain King", 1987...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3c2_dHtznE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3c2_dHtznE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 04:38 AM
"Gutter Ballet", 1989...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7DxWhffQ2wI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7DxWhffQ2wI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 04:39 AM
"Believe", from the Criss Oliva memorial concert...1993ish...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KFelxNfd_s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KFelxNfd_s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 04:39 AM
"Sirens", live w/ Alex Skolnik in Japan...1994...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0VA_3hSR3zM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0VA_3hSR3zM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 04:41 AM
OLDEST SAVATAGE FOOTAGE EVER:

Playing under the name Avatar outside a store in Clearwater, FL...1981 or 1982..."Holocaust"...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8nhvtxVGz1M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8nhvtxVGz1M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

WACF
01-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Bob...what do you think of Jon Olivia's Pain?

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Bob...what do you think of Jon Olivia's Pain?

VERY impressed...well, mostly.

Sounds closer to REAL Savatage than anything since Edge of Thorns, for sure...

I really think Paul O'Neill derailed the bands sound with the concept albums and Broadway shit...

That's not to say I don't like the post-Criss albums...because I do...but it's not really Savatage, honestly...

Even Jon said lately that nothing after Edge of Thorns really felt like Savatage to him, truly, and haven grown up with the band, I absolutely agree with him.

Maniacal Renderings has been one of my favorite purchases for quite some time now...

binnie
01-02-2007, 07:51 AM
I own all the Savatage records up to the early 90's.

I'll be honest, i'm not a huge fan, but having said that I appreciate them.

They should have had more success, and they were all ultra-talented and great players, I just never really liked it. I can't put my finger on it, I just found them a little OTT...

But that's my taste, nothing to do with their talent. Maybe I'll crank those records later an remind myself....

bueno bob
01-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I own all the Savatage records up to the early 90's.

I'll be honest, i'm not a huge fan, but having said that I appreciate them.

They should have had more success, and they were all ultra-talented and great players, I just never really liked it. I can't put my finger on it, I just found them a little OTT...

But that's my taste, nothing to do with their talent. Maybe I'll crank those records later an remind myself....

Listen to "Sirens", if you have it...

Crank that mother fucker UP...

And listen to Criss Oliva...

Greatest unsung guitarist of the 1980s and early 1990s and taken from us MUCH too soon...

The kind of material he'd be composing now...Oh Christ, it's UNREAL...

:(

The_KiD
01-02-2007, 08:25 AM
It's cool to find another Kula fan:D Most people I know have never heard of them. Sparkie gets ill every time I play their stuff. I can't help myself though. I dig'em :p

I Will have to give The Stereophonics a listen.

Yea, I am definitely a Kula Shaker Fan.. "K" and "Peasants, Pigs, and Astronauts" stay in rotation to this day. I love their cover of "Hush" too.

The Stereophonics are cool and HUGE in the UK. They have just not caught on over here. I have seen them twice here in DC and own their entire catalog. They also told Sharon Osborne to Fuck Off when she tried to bump one of their scheduled gigs in the UK for OZZFEST. She bitched and moaned to the media for weeks. It was great. Anyone who pisses her off is cool my book is brilliant..

Cheers and Happy New Year..

KiD

ppg960
01-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Two more bands I thought of:

Kick Axe-mid 80's band from Regina / Winnipeg. Great rock/metal band. Their Mngt burried them in dept. They ended up spending more time in court than on stage.

StreetHeart - Had great sucess in the early 80's and then a revolving line up really hurt them. :(

binnie
01-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by The_KiD

The Stereophonics are cool and HUGE in the UK.

They certainly are, their records go 5 times platinum over here....

I dig the first two records, and the latest one was interesting but I thought "Just Enough education to Perform" presented a band who were treading water in the 'we wanna be The Faces pool'.

However, great voice and hooks that'll stay in your head all day.

Few years ago at work we had a bet that they would crack the US, shows what we knew....

BITEYOASS
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
One thing that puzzles me is the fact that most bands from Detroit make it big in either Japan or the UK, yet can't sell many albums here in the states. Especially Electric Six or Andrew W.K., guess it's due to the fact that everyone from Michigan (including myself) are about as pale as those countries are. LOL

binnie
01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
One thing that puzzles me is the fact that most bands from Detroit make it big in either Japan or the UK, yet can't sell many albums here in the states. Especially Electric Six or Andrew W.K., guess it's due to the fact that everyone from Michigan (including myself) are about as pale as those countries are. LOL

Electric Six and Andrew W.K had six months here where they sold a shit load of records and then disappeared.

That seems to be the UK market at the moment, massive surge for 6 months to a year and then zip....

SparkieD
01-02-2007, 09:58 PM

Kick Axe-mid 80's band from Regina / Winnipeg. Great rock/metal band. Their Mngt burried them in dept. They ended up spending more time in court than on stage.

I forgot all about them. I saw 'em with Priest on the Defenders of the Faith tour. My mom went with me. It was general admission. I was down in the front row and she got a seat very close to the front on the side of the stage. I looked up after a bit and there's Mom hanging out with Kick Axe and pointing at her teenage daughter:D

binnie
01-03-2007, 06:12 AM
I looked up after a bit and there's Mom hanging out with Kick Axe and pointing at her teenage daughter:D

Wow, she sounds like a cool Mom!

bueno bob
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
In regards to Andrew WK...

The new album is FUCKING INCREDIBLE...

Not available in the U.S. yet, but...it's a wee bit of a departure from the first two albums, definitely some experimental stuff going on...

But it COMPLETELY kicks ass...

He's a love him or hate him type of guy, for sure...I love him...Close Calls With Brick Walls is his best album yet.

The_KiD
01-03-2007, 12:30 PM
They certainly are, their records go 5 times platinum over here....

I dig the first two records, and the latest one was interesting but I thought "Just Enough education to Perform" presented a band who were treading water in the 'we wanna be The Faces pool'.

However, great voice and hooks that'll stay in your head all day.

Few years ago at work we had a bet that they would crack the US, shows what we knew....

Binnie,

I think you nailed it as that is my least favorite album as well. I think some of their other work is genuinely solid. I dig Kelly's voice and love the big guitar sound. I think their song writing is excellent but it just lacks a little consistency. However, that says a lot for them..

Cheers,

KiD

WACF
01-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Two more bands I thought of:

StreetHeart - Had great sucess in the early 80's and then a revolving line up really hurt them. :(

Kick Axe...awesome band...great live show.

They rose fast and went away just as fast...being a Sask. band we got see them alot.

Streetheart...another awesome live band...my first concert ever was Streetheart with Helix supposing to open. Helix never made it so we got an extra long Streetheart show.
The last lineup was not bad...I think Dancing With Danger was a good album...and definitly stronger material start to finish than their earlier(70's) stuff. They ran into finacial problems and I think that pulled the pin on them.

WACF
01-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Badlands.

Deadly band with a sad end.

One of my favorite first releases.

WACF
01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Thin Lizzy...in North America at least.

They have so many killer songs that you just do not hear on the radio.

ppg960
01-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Kick Axe...awesome band...great live show.

They rose fast and went away just as fast...being a Sask. band we got see them alot.

Streetheart...another awesome live band...my first concert ever was Streetheart with Helix supposing to open. Helix never made it so we got an extra long Streetheart show.
The last lineup was not bad...I think Dancing With Danger was a good album...and definitly stronger material start to finish than their earlier(70's) stuff. They ran into finacial problems and I think that pulled the pin on them.

I went to a show with 4 of the Kick Axe members in the mid 90's. They renamed the band "Paradise" as they could not longer use the original name. It was still in court over royalties!!
Streetheart was not the same once Paul Dean and Matt Frenette left to form Loverboy.:cool:

WACF
01-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Actually I got into every version of Streetheart.

Paul Dean and Matt Frenette would of been interesting in the latter years perhaps.

The Streetheart - Streetheart Album...82?... with Jeff Neil on Guitars was most likely the most known south of the border.

I caught a Streetheart Reunion years ago...Matt was back along spider and Geunther...Shields had recruited the guitar player from The Queen City Kids...awesome show.

SparkieD
01-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Wow, she sounds like a cool Mom!

Hell yeah! She also saw Maiden with me twice (once in '81 with Priest as the headliner, again in '83.) My younger sister was into rap so she didn't really get to experience Mom's coolness.

BottomLine65
01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
The Cherry Bombz
Think they came out in 1985, album in 1986.
Covered Loverboy's "Hot Girls in Love"
Chick lead singer, real hot. At work and don't have the tape.
Album title: 100 Degrees in the Shade.
Other songs include: 100 Degrees in the Shade, House of Ecstasy and Fire and Gasoline (produced by Steve Jones and add some guitar).

ppg960
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Kick Axe released another album in 2005. Didn't know that. It's an independant release. They opened for some big names like Preist, ZZ top and Bryan Adams.

WACF
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Kick Axe released another album in 2005. Didn't know that. It's an independant release. They opened for some big names like Preist, ZZ top and Bryan Adams.

Yeah, I never heard any of it though.

I believe that the singer they had during their rise was not available so they used their original one.

The best show of theirs I saw was them opening for Helix during the Walking The Razors Edge tour.

Casemeister
01-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Hanoi Rocks.

They should have been huge. What an amazing band! It took me a while to get into them, actually, but once I did, I was hooked.

ppg960
01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Once Vince Neil killed their drummer they seamed to fall apart.
Never cared much for them myself.

Casemeister
01-05-2007, 12:32 PM
They've since started doing stuff again, although the only original members are Michael Monroe and Andy McCoy (the key members, really). The new stuff is good but most of it can't touch their old stuff... but hey, for fans, nothing could. "A Day Late, A Dollar Short" is among their best songs, though, and it's recent.

I've found a lot of people are put off by Monroe's voice. I was at first. It grew on me to the point where I can now hear nobody else singing for them. He's perfect for Hanoi Rocks. Also, I was expecting them to be a big, hard, hair metal kind of group. They're not. They're obviously very influenced by punk.

I just love Hanoi Rocks. I dunno who. I just do. :D

bueno bob
01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Check this shit out:

In regards to Savatage...also when they were Avatar, back in 1981 - same concert...

"ERUPTION/YOU REALLY GOT ME"

:D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B96HqItPiP0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B96HqItPiP0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

SparkieD
01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Well, I hope nobody crucifies me for saying this, but Criss Oliva did as good or maybe even a better job of that in '81 than EVH did. As for the rest of the band, I can't believe they evolved into Savatage.

bueno bob
01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Well, I hope nobody crucifies me for saying this, but Criss Oliva did as good or maybe even a better job of that in '81 than EVH did. As for the rest of the band, I can't believe they evolved into Savatage.

Agreed.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again...

Criss Oliva was THE most underrated guitarist of the 80s...

Keith Collins was gone by the time Savatage started doing Savatage...and Steve's drum parts were never that difficult, anyway...

Jon was always Jon...

Always was a HUGE classic Savatage fan, I love being able to share them... :)

Mr. Vengeance
01-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually I got into every version of Streetheart.

Paul Dean and Matt Frenette would of been interesting in the latter years perhaps.

The Streetheart - Streetheart Album...82?... with Jeff Neil on Guitars was most likely the most known south of the border.

I caught a Streetheart Reunion years ago...Matt was back along spider and Geunther...Shields had recruited the guitar player from The Queen City Kids...awesome show.

Whoa...freaking Canada-rock overdose!!!!

"Action! Action! Read all about it!!!"

"DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Next we'll be doing a tribute to Saga...

:cool:

Tiki-Tom
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Whoa...freaking Canada-rock overdose!!!!

Next we'll be doing a tribute to Saga...

:cool:

Yep, now that you mention it, if you're going to talk Canadian bands, Saga should be on the list! The US missed the boat on this kick ass favorite of mine. I love the whole Chapters concept. If you haven't heard them I highly recommend them.
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BLI3CA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg