PDA

View Full Version : The frankie strat replica....

mrtgman
12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Anyone want to gander aguess at what they are going to charge for this guitar? Also do you think it will be a limited edition or mass production?

Just curious because of course I want one. Thanks!

Roth & Roll
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by mrtgman
Anyone want to gander aguess at what they are going to charge for this guitar? Also do you think it will be a limited edition or mass production?

Just curious because of course I want one. Thanks!

If you want to save yourself at least $1000.....

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/index.html

ZahZoo
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Limited edition... probably less than 200 produced. Price will probably be MSRP between $20,000 - $25,000.

Guitar center will pick up a handful and you'll probably find a couple out on E-bay for folks looking to turn a quick buck on em.

Clapton's Blackie had 185 made and a MSRP of $24,000 sold out in less than a couple of weeks worldwide.

lztom
12-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Remember when Eddie was such an innovator of guitar design and he used to give a shit about manufacturing a guitar that was expensive but high class and within the reach of your average serious player?

Now he's reduced to pedalling replicas of his past triumphs at vastly overinflated prices for the odd CEO to duckwalk round his boardroom butchering Panama. Sad.

Diamondjimi
12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by lztom
Remember when Eddie was such an innovator of guitar design and he used to give a shit about manufacturing a guitar that was expensive but high class and within the reach of your average serious player?

Now he's reduced to pedalling replicas of his past triumphs at vastly overinflated prices for the odd CEO to duckwalk round his boardroom butchering Panama. Sad.

True. I think pedaling replicas cheapens the mystique of the originals.
20 years ago I made my own replicas of the black & white + black & yellow. They were special to me because "I" made them and were'nt bought off the rack . I painted them exactly like the originals and installed my own Floyd Roses and electronics as well as my own set up. Much more gratifying.............

Really, what could you expect from the guy . He's had literally zero musical output in the last 10 years. Peavey and Ernie Ball won't touch the guy with a 10 ft. pole. These repliicas are proof he's got nothing new to offer.Period.

Terry
12-21-2006, 09:23 PM

And this was a guy who basically slapped all of those (now classic) original guitars out of whatever he had lying around when he was starting out...

The biggest laugh I had was seeing some MXR pedal, think it was an EVH Phase 90, that came out a couple of years ago, and it had an extra button you could press that would give you the exact sweep settings for the Unchained intro, and had patented 'Eddie Van Halen' stripes on it, going for $150-180.

Whatever. Guess the guy has to do something to keep the Smoking Loon money coming in...heaven forbid it involves...um...WRITING SOME NEW MUSIC. Or actually leaving his hidey-hole at 5150.

Sad.

DLRdelight!
12-22-2006, 04:21 AM
although i agree with what most are saying, we all know that if 25,000 bucks was nothing to us we would buy one of those replicas

ZahZoo
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by DLRdelight!
although i agree with what most are saying, we all know that if 25,000 bucks was nothing to us we would buy one of those replicas

No way... poor investment, that won't be worth crap 10 years from now. Guitars should be played... paintings/sculptures are for museums.

sadaist
12-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Now he's reduced to pedalling replicas of his past triumphs

Same thing he is doing with his music.

Coyote
12-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Terry
The biggest laugh I had was seeing some MXR pedal, think it was an EVH Phase 90, that came out a couple of years ago, and it had an extra button you could press that would give you the exact sweep settings for the Unchained intro, and had patented 'Eddie Van Halen' stripes on it, going for $150-180.

Actually it was the EVH Flanger... The EVH Phase 90 has a "script" button...

Personally, I'd rather get the non-EVH models. (EVH stripes = Spinal Tap these days.)

Terry
12-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
Actually it was the EVH Flanger... The EVH Phase 90 has a "script" button...

Personally, I'd rather get the non-EVH models. (EVH stripes = Spinal Tap these days.)

What does the script button do?

Coyote
12-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Terry
What does the script button do?

Makes the phaser sound like an old 70's "script logo" MXR Phase 90

DrMaddVibe
12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Seeing that they're charging 20G for a Clapton replica...You could double it for an EVH replica.

Putting the 2 guitar heroes side by side, Clapton pales in comparison.

Don Corleone
12-24-2006, 02:58 PM
If the art series was anything to go by, then these are going to go for a few grand at least (I'd guess somewhere in the region of 8)

Nitro Express
12-27-2006, 03:38 AM
I enjoyed Eddie's guitar playing and seeing him and the original band live. Ed inspired me and he did reinvent the electric guitar. As far as gear goes, Ed's ideas inspired people to chase a certain sound. Would companies like Metropoulos Amplification be around because so many people want that old Marshall brown sound? Would offset wound pickups be available from companies like Seymour Duncan?

We don't have to buy Ed's signature gear. He has inspired others to make gear that get that Ed type of sound like the Randall amps that take those cool modules. We have Eddie tones in are Line 6 PODS.

Do we really need to buy thos replica guitars when we can build our own with Warmoth parts or Mighty Mite parts?

What the guy did for many of us was inspire us to play, dick around with amps and effects, and build our own guitars. Some original stuff came out of all that and most of it doesn't sound like Ed but was inspired by him like how Clapton inspired Ed.

MAX
12-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
If the art series was anything to go by, then these are going to go for a few grand at least (I'd guess somewhere in the region of 8)

Utterly pathetic!!!

Eight grand!!! Try eight hundred bucks!!!

Again, I know where to buy a BETTER replica from a stellar guy who pays attention to the most miniscure detail building EVH replicas. However and knowing what a greedy fuck the little sister is regarding those fucking r/b/w stripes, I don't wanna advertise the PERFECT replica builder. Seriously, ANYONE who pays eight grand for one of them needs to be fucked in the ass with it and then beaten with what's left of the axe!!!

Matt White
12-27-2006, 01:23 PM
LOL

Yup....

No need to shell out crazy cash for a Frankie rep...............

jhale667
12-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
LOL

Yup....

No need to shell out crazy cash for a Frankie rep...............

None, considering you can BUILD one for less than a grand...hardest thing to find would be the 1971 Quarter...and I have a few of those layin' around for a rainy day ;)

Matt White
12-28-2006, 10:03 PM
LOL I'm gonna use my 1900 Silver Dollar!!!:cool:

Don Corleone
12-29-2006, 04:08 AM
But people will shell out over the odds for them. I've got a Frankie rep myself, I paid about $1200 for it. But no way would I pay a few grand for one.

MAX
12-29-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
But people will shell out over the odds for them. I've got a Frankie rep myself, I paid about $1200 for it. But no way would I pay a few grand for one.

Same goes with that "Blackie" one...

Man, IF I WERE a millionaire, I'd be all over that (the "Blackie" NOT the "Frankie") puppy. However, that's half of a four year car loan for me. Meaning twenty grand!!!

Don Corleone
12-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Exactly.

Diamondjimi
01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
I think i'll build myself another "Frankie" replica this year. Been a long time since I made one(20years) It'd be cool to hang in my home studio and drag out to jams with friends. Fuck dishing out thousands of $$$ for one. I'm going back to square one and doing it myself...