PDA

View Full Version : US to Boost Size of Army/USMC

Nickdfresh
12-25-2006, 10:19 AM
US plans to boost military, but draft unlikely
More incentives would be costly

By Julian E. Barnes, Los Angeles Times | December 24, 2006

WASHINGTON -- President Bush's call to build up the size of the Army and Marine Corps confronts the US military with a sizable and potentially costly challenge, especially given its recent war-related recruiting problems. But one solution remains firmly off the table: reinstituting a draft.

Last week, Bush endorsed proposals to increase the size of the Army and the Marine Corps. The plans have wide support, from those who advocate a short-term boost in the number of troops in Iraq, as well as those who say a larger force will be needed even if troops are moved out of Iraq.

By boosting incentives and bonus money, adding recruiters, and continuing to increase the military advertising budget, the Army should be able to sign up an extra 10,000 people a year.

This would fall within the current all-volunteer system, according to many military analysts. But they add that such an increase will be costly. An extra 10,000 soldiers would cost at least $1.2 billion extra annually.

"We've been at it for 30-plus years," said Theodore G. Stroup Jr., a retired lieutenant general and a former head of the Army personnel system. "We do not want to go back to a draft."

Supporters of the volunteer force say it is of much higher quality than that of the draft era, which ended in 1973. But critics suggest the Army already has lowered its standards to meet current recruiting goals, and would have to lower them even more to meet a larger goal.

Since the beginning of the Iraq war, the number of recruits with high school diplomas has dropped sharply, according to a new study by the National Priorities Project, a research group in Massachusetts.

The number of soldiers with a graduate equivalency degree -- as opposed to a high school diploma -- rose from 13.1 percent in 2004 to 26.7 percent in 2006, according to the study, based on Army documents that were released through a Freedom of Information request.

Current and former military officials have denied that changes in recruitment standards have adversely affected quality.

"The quality of the force is outstanding," said Bernard Rostker, a former undersecretary of Defense and onetime head of the Selective Service system. "There are plenty of people who we don't take today who are quite adequate to do the jobs we need."

Although top Army generals were reluctant to give up the draft in the 1970s and move to the all-volunteer force, most in the military today believe that a reinstatement of conscription would reduce the professionalism and experience of the force.

Iraq is the longest war the all-volunteer Army has had to fight, and the demands of the yearlong rotations in and out of Iraq is straining the military and its recruiting system.

Bush voiced support for calls to increase the size of the Army and Marines, but did not specify how large an increase he wants over the 507,000 now serving. The Association of the US Army, the service's influential advocacy group, has proposed an increase of 100,000. Other proposals call for increases of 20,000 to 30,000.

After struggling in 2004, the Army missed its recruiting target in 2005. To meet its recruiting goal of 80,000 new soldiers in 2006, the Army was forced to loosen rules for those they are willing to accept. Commanders have allowed an increase in the number of so-called "Category 4" recruits, enlisted men and women who score the lowest on military aptitude tests. Recruiters have raised the enlistment age from 35 to 42.

According to Army data, the service also has issued more than 13,600 medical or "moral character" waivers to recruits in 2006, up more than 2,500 over the levels of last year.

Waivers given to recruits who had been engaged in "serious misconduct" in the past -- crimes, repeated instances of substance abuse, or misconduct involving weapons -- nearly doubled, from 630 to 1,017, and those for recruits with misdemeanors on their records went from 4,587 to 6,542.

As recruiting problems have grown, so has the economic disparity within the military. According to the National Priorities Project, the number of recruits from wealthy neighborhoods continues to decline. Although wealthy ZIP codes have long been underrepresented in the armed forces, the numbers dropped further still from 2004 to 2006.

Representatives Charles B. Rangel, Democrat of New York, incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, has proposed reinstitution of the draft in part to address those concerns about disparity.

Supporters of the volunteer force concede that building up a larger force is costly.

After missing 2005 recruiting goals, the Army sharply increased bonuses offered to those willing to sign up for extended tours.

In January, the maximum for a recruit enlisting for four years or more in the active-duty Army was doubled, from $20,000 to $40,000. Six-year commitments for the reserves went from $10,000 to $20,000.

In October, the Army also unveiled a new marketing campaign aimed at recruits, called "Army Strong," which will cost the service $200 million every year for a national advertising campaign.

Link (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/12/24/us_plans_to_boost_military_but_draft_unlikely/)

Little Texan
12-26-2006, 12:51 AM
I've got a solution that will kill two birds with one stone...start using inmates from the nation's prison system to build up our military, and let them fight on the front lines in our wars. That way, it helps make room in our overcrowded prisons, the military has fresh new troops, and we get rid of some of these hardened criminals by them dying from fighting in the war!

FORD
12-26-2006, 01:21 AM
As long as we start with the WAR criminals who got us into this shit first. And I don't give a fuck if they have been prosecuted and convicted or not.

Who deserves to fight wars for Exxon and the Likud party? Crooked CEO's or some poor son of a bitch who got 10 years for posessing an ounce of weed because of the BCE's other bullshit war, the "War On (anybody but us selling) Drugs"

Nitro Express
12-26-2006, 02:24 AM
My hell, if Bush is looking for quantity and not quality, we have a million people in our prison system right now. Getting those people killed in Iraq will save the tax payers $billions and maybe that's a way to get some money back out of this stupid war.

blueturk
12-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
My hell, if Bush is looking for quantity and not quality, we have a million people in our prison system right now. Getting those people killed in Iraq will save the tax payers $billions and maybe that's a way to get some money back out of this stupid war.

What the hell ever. Like Ford said, some poor fuck who was caught selling pot doesn't deserve to go to Iraq.

"I can only speak to myself." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

FORD
12-26-2006, 11:24 PM
What's even more troubling is something the BCE is considering, that the above article fails to mention. And that's the fact that they are actually considering recruiting foreign nationals to the (allegedly) US military.

Why is this so disturbing? Because it's not very likely that a military composed of American citizens would turn on fellow Americans when the BCE turns their so called "War on Terra" internally.

But an army of foreign mercenaries might do just that, and not think twice about it.

It's time to stop these bastards while we still can.

Little Texan
12-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Crooked CEO's or some poor son of a bitch who got 10 years for posessing an ounce of weed because of the BCE's other bullshit war, the "War On (anybody but us selling) Drugs"

I'm thinking more along the lines of convicted murderers, rapists, and pedophiles, not those types of criminals that you mentioned.

FORD
12-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
I'm thinking more along the lines of convicted murderers, rapists, and pedophiles, not those types of criminals that you mentioned.

Given Abu Ghraib and other published atrocities of this war, you really want to have a bunch of Joe Thunders and Jeffery Dahmers out there representing the United States of America.

I know the plus side is that a lot of them wouldn't come back, but I don't think that outweighs the negatives in this case.

bueno bob
12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan

A great idea in theory...unfortunately, it would be REALLY difficult (if not out and out impossible) to get them all into the idea and cooperative.

"Forcing" people to become military just doesn't work...besides, with being foot soldiers (which is what I'm guessing most criminal forced enlistments would be), they'd have to have access to some degree of mobility on the battlefield, and the potential problems that could create, in so far as just keeping track of everybody, would be big...