PDA

View Full Version : the god father of soul left us...

franksters
12-25-2006, 02:57 PM
James Brown, musical innovator, inimitable entertainer and self-prescribed "Godfather of Soul," died early Christmas Day at the age of 73.

CTV.ca News Staff

In a file photo 'Godfather of Soul' James Brown performs during a Java Jazz Festival concert in Jakarta, Indonesia, Friday, March 4, 2005. (AP Photo, Dita Alangkara)
Brown's agent Frank Copsidas said the singer was hospitalized with severe pneumonia on Sunday, and died around 1:45 a.m. ET on Monday, reports the Associated Press.

Copsidas said longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by Brown's side when he died at Emory Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta, Ga.

James Joseph Brown, Jr. is widely considered one of the most seminal, influential figures in 20th century music.

He had a raspy, gospel-style voiced that, combined with a horn-section that punctuated his funky, frenetic rhythms, evolved into a distinct, revolutionary style of music.

He recorded more than 50 albums and had well over 100 songs that hit the charts, including "I Got You (I Feel Good)," "(Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine" and "Out of Sight."

His classic "Say It Out Loud -- I'm Black and I'm Proud" became a landmark statement of racial pride when it came out in 1968.

"I clearly remember we were calling ourselves coloured, and after the song, we were calling ourselves black," Brown told the Associated Press in an interview in 2003.

"The song showed even people to that day that lyrics and music and a song can change society."

Brown was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and won a Grammy lifetime achievement award in 1992.

Not only was he a prolific singer and songwriter, he was also a record producer, businessman and bandleader who is credited with influencing a new generation of African American music that reaches all the way to rap and hip-hop today.

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once told The Associated Press.

"To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close."

Brown also left his mark on numerous other musical genres, including rock, jazz, reggae, disco, dance and electronic music.

And the pompadoured, flamboyant Brown also influenced many artists with his dancing. His often copied, never quite equalled, rapid-fire footwork inspired such artists as Michael Jackson, Prince and Mick Jagger.

Brown rose to success despite being born in abject poverty in Barnwell, South Carolina, in 1933. He was abandoned as a four-year-old to the care of relatives and friends and grew up on the streets of Augusta, Ga., in an "ill-repute area," as he once called it.

"I wanted to be somebody," Brown told AP.

He shot to stardom after Cincinnati's King Records signed his group, the Gospel Starlighters, to a record deal in 1956 and four months later their hit "Please, Please, Please" was in the R&B top ten.

But later on in his career, Brown ran into troubles with the law. He was arrested several times in the 1980s and 1990s and was charged with drug and weapons possession.

His wife, Adrienne Brown, died in 1996 in Los Angeles at age 47 after she took the drug PCP and several prescription drugs while suffering from a bad heart.

More recently, Brown married his fourth wife, Tomi Raye Hynie, who was one of his backup singers. The couple had a son, James Jr.

With files from The Associated Press

Switch84
12-25-2006, 03:19 PM
:( :( :( This is fucked up and it hurts! He was here giving presents to underprivileged kids and shit, then checked himself into Emory shortly after.

Rest in Peace, Godfather and THANK YOU for the music...

Loons The Great
12-25-2006, 06:29 PM
James Brown, R.I.P.

Long live the Godfatha of soul!!

bantonelli
12-26-2006, 12:24 AM
James Brown, more than The Godfather, more than a Legend.

No one comes close.

James Brown was a huge influence on our guy, DLR as well.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

RIP Sweet Soul Man.

jhale667
12-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Rest in Peace. :(

blonddgirl777
12-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by bantonelli
... James Brown was a huge influence on our guy, DLR as well...

He was an influence for many, many professional dancers, rock stars, and soul artists...

Weather you are Punk Rock, R & R, Hip Hop, Country or whatever... when you hear him sing "Get up", you just get up and wiggle... eaven if you don't know how!
I mean, who can resist the urge of moving, when his songs are played?

His energie was contageous!

R.I.P.

Dan
12-26-2006, 04:20 AM
R.I.P. James Brown.

Coyote
12-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Third thread 'bout this already... R.I.P. James...

Panamark
12-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Im totally impressed with his career and his coke habit !
I hope I live as long as his coke habit :D

RIP JAMES !!

I FEEL GOOD !!

(Band members: What did James just say ??
I dunno, we are just paid to
stand back here and say "YEAH")

-Eddie Murphy - RAW..

Hey, the man was a legend even in Oz..
Good life, long innings decided his time
was Jesus's bithday... Not bad... RIP !!

PHOENIX
12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Closing this. We already have threads on this.