PDA

View Full Version : Mother of the Year

Isaac R.
12-29-2006, 04:04 AM
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- A woman suspected of killing her month-old daughter by putting her in a microwave oven was indicted on a charge of aggravated murder Thursday, and the prosecutor said he would seek the death penalty.

The indictment against China Arnold, 26, does not provide details on the death of Paris Talley.

Investigators have said evidence that includes high-heat internal injuries and the absence of external burn marks on the baby were consistent with a microwave oven. The baby died on August 30, 2005. Her mother was arrested last week.

"The Montgomery County coroner came to the conclusion that the injuries sustained by this baby could have only been caused by being placed into a microwave oven and having that oven turned on and [cooking] the baby to death," Montgomery Country Prosecutor Mathias Heck Jr. said at a news conference.

Heck declined to discuss a possible motive or release any other details about the case. He said Arnold would be subject to the death penalty if convicted because the victim was a child.

Defense attorney Jon Paul Rion said Arnold had nothing to do with her child's death. He said Arnold and the child's father had left Paris with a baby sitter the night before she found the baby unconscious.

"China has the moral courage and the confidence in her God that the truth will come out in this case," Rion said. "We will seek every single way possible to communicate to our government and to the jury in this case that China is innocent of all the charges."

Arnold is being held on $1 million bond. Heck said he will ask the court to order her held without bail at a hearing Tuesday.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/07/baby.microwave.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

bueno bob
12-29-2006, 04:20 AM
Well, until they release details in regards to the child's demise (time, etc.), it's probably a bit early to crucify the mother...particularly if the baby was left in the custody of a babysitter and the mother found the baby unconscious...

Regardless of whether or not she's guilty, that is some EXTREMELY fucked up shit and somebody should be seeing the end of a very nasty needle for it.

:mad:

sadaist
12-29-2006, 04:25 AM
I just checked my microwave. There is a button for popcorn, soup, coffee, & defrost. Which one is for baby?

frets5150
12-29-2006, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
[Regardless of whether or not she's guilty, that is some EXTREMELY fucked up shit and somebody should be seeing the end of a very nasty needle for it.

Needle? They should cremate her while she is still alive :o

bueno bob
12-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by frets5150
Needle? They should cremate her while she is still alive :o

Well, that too.

frets5150
12-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
I just checked my microwave. There is a button for popcorn, soup, coffee, & defrost. Which one is for baby?

Glad to see you find this funny :mad:

Ellyllions
12-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Cases like this make me wonder what the fuck we're thinking with trying to abolish the death penalty on the premise of it being "cruel and unusual punishment".

Let me within 10 feet of the bitch that did that to that baby and I'll show you "cruel and unusual punishment".

LoungeMachine
12-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Cases like this make me wonder what the fuck we're thinking with trying to abolish the death penalty on the premise of it being "cruel and unusual punishment".

I don't accept your premise, hun.

Some of us are anti- death penalty because The State should not be in the business of killing its own citizens, under any circumstances.

I'm all for cruel and unusual though, for special cases such as this.

But not killing.

It's been proven that capital punishment is NOT a deterrant either.

Lock 'em up, throw away the key.

** and how do these right-to-lifers among us justify killing when they consider ALL life precious **

Ellyllions
12-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I respectfully accept your premise.

But, I don't consider all life precious. Only innocent life. But I stay far away from the "abortion" issue because it isn't an issue for me.

And as a "used-ta-be" Criminal Justice "professional" (loosely used)...I can attest emphatically to the fact that death is not a deterrent but will add "in all cases". There is a barbaric element to execution that is a deterrent in some cases. The breakdown of the use of execution as a deterrent began when a death row inmate sentence became mounded in years on death row instead of swift execution of punishment.

If punishment was executed within days of the denial of the 2nd appeal, then the death sentence would become a stringent deterrent for most offenses attached to it. I believe that a person who does something as haenous as putting a baby in a microwave should be killed violently by the citizens of the state the person lives in.

For you and me, prision is enough of a deterrent. For those who have served time, prision is another "type" of lifestyle. It is a society all it's own with it's own rules and social cliques. It can become norm...because people can honestly get used to anything. The prision system as it stands isn't working. Recidivism rates continue to climb, and overcrowding is at an all-time high.

MAPRamone
12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
I respectfully accept your premise.

But, I don't consider all life precious. Only innocent life. But I stay far away from the "abortion" issue because it isn't an issue for me.

And as a "used-ta-be" Criminal Justice "professional" (loosely used)...I can attest emphatically to the fact that death is not a deterrent but will add "in all cases". There is a barbaric element to execution that is a deterrent in some cases. The breakdown of the use of execution as a deterrent began when a death row inmate sentence became mounded in years on death row instead of swift execution of punishment.

If punishment was executed within days of the denial of the 2nd appeal, then the death sentence would become a stringent deterrent for most offenses attached to it. I believe that a person who does something as haenous as putting a baby in a microwave should be killed violently by the citizens of the state the person lives in.

For you and me, prision is enough of a deterrent. For those who have served time, prision is another "type" of lifestyle. It is a society all it's own with it's own rules and social cliques. It can become norm...because people can honestly get used to anything. The prision system as it stands isn't working. Recidivism rates continue to climb, and overcrowding is at an all-time high.

What's a "prision"? seriously though while there's no death penalty in Finland and i'm generally against it, there are cases which make me seriously doubt my position and this is one of them.

binnie
12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
That's just plain fucked up.

I am both repulsed, angry and shocked (sincerely)

However, I am now wondering what that little baby + micorwave scene would look like.....

Maybe that's even more fucked up....

Ellyllions
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by MAPRamone
What's a "prision"?

A "prision" is the result of Benadryl.

Guitar Shark
12-29-2006, 10:59 AM
LMFAO...

knuckleboner
12-29-2006, 11:04 AM
eh...i'm not a big fan of the state authorizing killings. (mind you, i'm sure that the death penalty, by itself, is consitutional; it's listed as an appropriate penalty for treason.)

but to me, it seems more like revenge. and you can damn well bet that if somebody killed one of my loved ones, i'd want revenge. but the state, who brings the charges (and technically, who the case is against; commonwealth of virginia v. knuckleboner) should be an impassioned actor.

i'm ok with life in prison without possibility of parole, but i'd rather not have the state execute people.

mind you, assuming whoever killed this particular kid isn't criminally insane (meaning that even if they honestly heard the dog tell them to kill the kid, they still knew it was wrong and they were able to stop it) then i'm all for her receiving the maximum punishment allowable by law. and if that's the death penalty, so be it.

now, i might get rid of the death penalty if i was the lawmaker, but since it's currently valid law, i'd mete it out, where necessary if i was on the jury.

Ellyllions
12-29-2006, 11:11 AM
I believe that serial killers, convenience killers (ex...insurance murders, spouse murders..etc.), and child predators of all kinds deserve the death penalty.

I'm a psych buff, so I sort of understand the need to keep criminally insane folks alive to study them. BUT, the CJ side of me firmly believes that there is no cure for most of their conditions. And that part of me believes in weeding out the gene pool when it's necessary to preserve society.

sadaist
12-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by frets5150
Glad to see you find this funny :mad:

Funny? Not especially. But I am beginning to be numb to these types of stories. The woman who used her baby to hit her husband (she stated she just reached for something to hit him with & didn't realize she had grabbed her child). The woman who drowned all of her children in the bath tub. The woman who drove her children into a lake. The man who's baby had a fever so he stuck it in the freezer to cool it down. The baby who's blood alcohol was 3 times the legal limit.

There are stories like this almost daily. Takes away a lot of the shock value when the next heinous crime occurs.

blonddgirl777
12-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I believe that serial killers, convenience killers (ex...insurance murders, spouse murders..etc.), and child predators of all kinds deserve the death penalty...

I can't make up my mind about death penalty...

We don't have it here, since the 60's when they hung a man that we now beleive was not guilty...
The case just got re-opened.

The cases vary so much!

We have the uncurable ones (to many of them) that kill with no remorse and prove that they will start again, and lately we have this case;
A teenage girl got pregnant, "hid" during all of her pregnancy and ended up killing her baby as she gave birth to it...
She is obviously sick, in need of help but I don't hink she would deserve to die...

???
If asked to vote on brigning back death penalty or not?
I wouldn't know wich box to check!

WACF
12-29-2006, 01:20 PM
We will never see the death penalty back in Canada.

What I would like to see though is a life sentence actually being more than 25 years.

In cases of murder that are exceptionaly malicious I would say no chance of parole.

We have imprisioned a few men for murder only to be released later when proven innocent.

blonddgirl777
12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by WACF
... What I would like to see though is a life sentence actually being more than 25 years.

In cases of murder that are exceptionaly malicious I would say no chance of parole...

That's our problem here... the sentences are a joke... an insult to the victims and their families!

Bill Lumbergh
12-29-2006, 01:39 PM
When it comes to KIDS?! Death Penalty.........NEXT?

WACF
12-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
That's our problem here... the sentences are a joke... an insult to the victims and their families!

Yes....yes....

There you go...you made me say yes twice.

This is where I believe we should have the right to elect our judges.

I do not like the fact they are political appointments...with the Liberals in power so long they tended to put Liberal friendly lawyers in as judges.
There is no accountability with their decisions.

BottomLine65
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Children and cop killers= Death Penalty

jhale667
01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The bitch who did that to a kid should DIE. SLOWLY and PAINFULLY. :mad: