PDA

View Full Version : anyone use the Yngwie YJM308 overdrive pedal?

indeedido
01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I've seen the DOD YJM308 Yngwie model overdrive pedal new on the net for $29. That's pretty cheap. Anyone have any experience with these? Seems annoying they don't have an led on them, but curious to the tone they produce on a clean channel and overdriving a dirty channel. I've got a JSX head, and am always just looking for a different sound to experiment with. For that price, if it is junk I can toss it in the closet. I'm probably get one to try, but I'm curious to what anyone else has encountered with them.

ELVIS
01-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I use one to prop up a chair that has one short leg...

Works GRATE!

:elvis:

Nitro Express
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Me! They are great for boosting the pickups on a Strat before going into the amp. That peddle works with a lot of guitars and amps and does not color the sound much.

If you are just looking for overdrive but still keeping the character of the guitar and amp, you've found the holy grail.

Gringo
01-04-2007, 07:38 PM
If you buy it, i bet you won't toss in the closet... It's a very good pedal with warm and rich overdrive. Great for boosting your sound.

sammysucks65
01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Yngwie uses that with his studio rig, or so he said in guitar world a ways back

ELVIS
01-05-2007, 10:25 PM
http://www.yngwie.org/UTF-pix/JonneNurminen12.JPG

Nitro Express
01-06-2007, 01:50 AM
I keep one in my guitar case or gig bag at all times. It's very versitile and adds some balls to any amp.

I used to use a Boss DS-1 and a Sovtek Mig 50 for my setup. The Mig 50 is basically a Russian copy of a Fender Bassman.

Then I stumbled onto the DOD 250 Overdrive (Yngwie Overdrive) man, the DS-1 went in the closet after that.

It's a great peddle for lead playing. Fuzz peddles and some of the overdrives are just to loose to really burn. The DOD peddle is tight in comparison. If you have overdrive on the amp it just adds to it or it pushes the the Power Amp to saturate more. Like I said, it's very compatable with any amp.

Nitro Express
01-06-2007, 01:53 AM
You don't really need a LED on the thing. You can tell when it's on and unlike my Fuzz Face you can kick it on or off without making a big pop noise.

A 9 Volt battery lasts a long-time as well. I have been using the same battery in mine for over a year. You could bludgeon someone to death with it and it's not going to break. You can crack some skulls open with it. LOL!

Nitro Express
01-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
http://www.yngwie.org/UTF-pix/JonneNurminen12.JPG

You have unleashed the fucking furry!

jhale667
01-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/doughnut.jpg

:lol:

Diamondjimi
01-06-2007, 06:50 PM

On a similar note the Dimarzio HS-3 pickups he uses are fuckin stellar. Especially in the neck position. Though I prefer my Joe Barden in the bridge.:cool:

jhale667
01-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi

On a similar note the Dimarzio HS-3 pickups he uses are fuckin stellar. Especially in the neck position. Though I prefer my Joe Barden in the bridge.:cool:

I like those. I actually have one sitting on my desk right now a friend just returned to me...though lately I've been partial to the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage series...

Diamondjimi
01-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
I like those. I actually have one sitting on my desk right now a friend just returned to me...though lately I've been partial to the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage series...

I dig the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pu's. Have you tried Joe Barden pickups?

jhale667
01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
I dig the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pu's. Have you tried Joe Barden pickups?

Haven't actually...hear good things about them, though...you're running one in the bridge position? Which model? I've currently got Virtual Vintage Solo models in the bridge slot on my Strats, Blues models in the neck...:cool:

I have another Strat body laying about, was thinking of slapping something together with the HS-3 in the bridge and maybe try the YJM in the neck...I should just go ahead and buy a scalloped neck at that point, huh? :rolleyes:

jhale667
01-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Forty bucks on Ebay... Not bad, huh? ;)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/1stEbaypurchase.jpg

I should slap it together...only parts I'm missing are a neck, a couple of pickups, and a pickguard (that's the auction pic, didnt come with the pg and guts) ...got everything else...

Nitro Express
01-07-2007, 05:56 AM
I picked up a sweet sounding swamp ash Strat body on Ebay for $40. I put on a Mighty Mite neck, a Seymour Duncan Trembucker in the bridge. Had a custom pickguard made for one humbucker and one knob. Went with the Wilkinson improved Strat bridge, a graphit nut, and Schaller locking tuners. I couldn't be happier and frankly, It's one of my favorite guitars. It's got some balls too. It sounds thick for a Strat. I just love swamp ash. It's light but it gets such a great tone!

Diamondjimi
01-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Haven't actually...hear good things about them, though...you're running one in the bridge position?
I can't remember the model . It's a single spaced stacked humbucker with dual "rails". I like it because it's tone is warm and sounds like a hybrid of a single coil and a humbucker. Similar to a P-90.

I have another Strat body laying about, was thinking of slapping something together with the HS-3 in the bridge and maybe try the YJM in the neck...I should just go ahead and buy a scalloped neck at that point, huh? :rolleyes:
From what I gather,the YJM model is based on the HS-2. They both have sweet harmonic response and bell like clarity. Ya gotta love choice. I remember when I started out there wasn't much to choose from. Bill Lawrence and Dimarzio only had a couple of models available. Now there's so many to choose from it boggles the mind...:cool:

Diamondjimi
01-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Forty bucks on Ebay... Not bad, huh? ;)
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/1stEbaypurchase.jpg

Not bad at all !:cool:

Diamondjimi
01-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I picked up a sweet sounding swamp ash Strat body on Ebay for $40. I put on a Mighty Mite neck, a Seymour Duncan Trembucker in the bridge. Had a custom pickguard made for one humbucker and one knob. Went with the Wilkinson improved Strat bridge, a graphit nut, and Schaller locking tuners. I couldn't be happier and frankly, It's one of my favorite guitars. It's got some balls too. It sounds thick for a Strat. I just love swamp ash. It's light but it gets such a great tone!

Sounds sweet. Got any Pics ?

NathanRay
01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Do you think the threaded inserts and machine bolts the Malm uses for connecting his necks help improve the sustain any?

Matt White
01-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I love EBAY:p

jhale667
01-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I can't remember the model . It's a single spaced stacked humbucker with dual "rails". I like it because it's tone is warm and sounds like a hybrid of a single coil and a humbucker. Similar to a P-90.

From what I gather,the YJM model is based on the HS-2. They both have sweet harmonic response and bell like clarity. Ya gotta love choice. I remember when I started out there wasn't much to choose from. Bill Lawrence and Dimarzio only had a couple of models available. Now there's so many to choose from it boggles the mind...:cool:

The Virtual Vintage Solo model is more like a P-90 too, but still looks like a traditional single-coil. I love it. You're right about the YJM being similar to an HS-2, from what I understand it's basically an HS-2 with a vintage-correct polepiece stagger... I actually hung out with Steve Blutcher of Dimarzio at NAMM a few years back, he listened to me play for a few and suggested the Virtual Vintage Blues, '54, and Solo models would best suit my 'style', neck to bridge respectively...He NAILED IT. I am soooo happy with the tones I can get out of my Strats now....you and I must be close to the same age...I too remember when your choices were limited to a Super Distortion if you wanted a Humbucker, or like a Duncan SSL-1 for singles...gotta love progress...:)

jhale667
01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by NathanRay
Do you think the threaded inserts and machine bolts the Malm uses for connecting his necks help improve the sustain any?

Not sure, but they would definitely improve neck stability!

sammysucks65
01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I love EBAY:p

dont we all! :)

Diamondjimi
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I actually hung out with Steve Blutcher of Dimarzio at NAMM a few years back, he listened to me play for a few and suggested the Virtual Vintage Blues, '54, and Solo models would best suit my 'style', neck to bridge respectively...He NAILED IT.
Nice !
Shit man, there's nothing that burns my ass more than when I go into a music store and I ask some Emo hack who works there what a particular pickups character is and the braindead fuck looks at me like I'm speaking Chinese. And you got the best advice from the man himself. The rest of us should be so lucky!:D :cool:

I am soooo happy with the tones I can get out of my Strats now....you and I must be close to the same age...I too remember when your choices were limited to a Super Distortion if you wanted a Humbucker, or like a Duncan SSL-1 for singles...gotta love progress...:)

Amen for progress ,Bro !
I had heard that a while back Joe Barden had a mental breakdown and closed shop. Thus increasing the value and price of the originals (see Ebay). Had I known that ,Id have grabbed a couple of more. I hear he's up and running again.:cool: His pickups definitely got a profile boost from guys like Danny Gatton and Brett Garsed using them.
If you can get your hands on one don't pass it up . I think you'll dig them.;)

Nitro Express
01-08-2007, 02:07 AM

I have a three bolt strat that sustains like crazy. I've decided if the neck pocket is tight and the holes through the body are close spec to the screws being used, that's the ticket to good sustain.

I don't like any paint, tape, or stickers in my neck pockets. I sand all that stuff out and try to get the tightest wood to wood fit I can.

I also put beeswax on the screws and torque those buggers down as tight as I can.

I actually have Strats that will outsustain a Les Paul.

Diamondjimi
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM

I have a 4 bolt '62 re-issue Strat that sustains for days . One of the main reasons I nagged my buddy into selling me it . Btw it has great tone to boot ! ;) :D

NathanRay
02-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I have a three bolt strat that sustains like crazy. I've decided if the neck pocket is tight and the holes through the body are close spec to the screws being used, that's the ticket to good sustain.

I don't like any paint, tape, or stickers in my neck pockets. I sand all that stuff out and try to get the tightest wood to wood fit I can.

I also put beeswax on the screws and torque those buggers down as tight as I can.

Sounds like a lot more feasable than machine bolting it. Great Reply and advice. I will be doing this. :D thanks

Nitro Express
02-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Sounds like a lot more feasable than machine bolting it. Great Reply and advice. I will be doing this. :D thanks

A clean neck pocket makes a huge difference. I use one of those little Dremmel sanders to clean all the paint, stickers, glue out of there. Be careful not to widen the neck pocket! Make sure the neck heal is clean, use was or soap on the screws and cinch it down as tight as you can.

Yngwie used to work in a luthier shop in Sweden where they restored antique stringed instruments. He has built guitars himself. Maybe the machine screws and threaded inserts help keep the neck more stabble during climate changes on tour.

I have found the original Stratocaster design to be pretty sound and robust. They are pretty tough guitars and can take a lot of abuse.