PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for Cup Noodles lovers

Ally_Kat
01-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Inventor of instant noodles dies at 96

Momofuku Ando, the Japanese inventor of instant noodles — a dish that has sustained American college students for decades — has died. He was 96.

Nissin Food Products Co., the company Ando founded, said on its Web site that he died Friday after suffering a heart attack.

Born in Taiwan, Ando founded his company in 1948 from a humble family operation. Faced with food shortages in post-World War II Japan, Ando thought a quality, convenient noodle product would help feed the masses.

In 1958, his "Chicken Ramen" — the first instant noodle — was introduced after many trials. Following its success, the company added other products, such as the "Cup Noodle" in 1971.

"The Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum" opened in 1999 in Ikeda City in western Japan commemorating his inventions.

Ando gave a speech at the company's New Year ceremony and enjoyed Chicken Ramen for lunch with Nissin employees on Thursday before falling ill, Japan's largest daily Yomiuri reported.

He is survived by his wife, Masako.

WOAHYEAH
01-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Everyone knows pizza pockets are where it's at.

Ally_Kat
01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Pshhh

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1586857355.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

FORD
01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Momofuku??

Sounds like something that would be repeated often in a Japanese rap song.

VanHalener
01-06-2007, 11:13 PM
:cato2: :daisy: :cato2:

twonabomber
01-06-2007, 11:24 PM
i never ate ramen noodles, even when i was poor.

aren't those things full of salt? no wonder he died.

Ally_Kat
01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
i never ate ramen noodles, even when i was poor.

The instant cup ones, are. But, oddly enough, I lost weight when I lived on those things.

FORD
01-07-2007, 12:42 AM
When I ate the ramen noodles, I only used half the artificially flavored MSG packet. The chili paste I added to it more than made up for the taste. But even then I got so sick of it that to this day, I won't eat ramen.

Instant miso soup, maybe. But no ramen. Just this psychological block against it....

rustoffa
01-07-2007, 01:53 AM
If you want to experience real deydration/food-trauma? Try an oven-roasted country ham without soaking it.

http://www.vafb.com/images/vaharvest/ham.jpg

I got one as a Christmas gift, and was casually told to "soak it first." The particular ham I got came cuntplete with an oven bag, and the cooking instructions mentioned nothing about soaking. So I just cooked the fucking thing with the usual aromatics in the bag...carrots, onions. I dunno if y'all are familiar with the black-eyed peas and greens new-years day deal, but that's when I cooked it. The next day, I had heart palpitations and shit....folks were like, "what's wrong with you? you look like shit" etc. I explained to this co-worker that I had eaten too much country ham, and felt like I was fixing to die. He went, "so you cooked it without soaking it....bad move...you got a medic-alert bracelet?"
:(

Hardrock69
01-07-2007, 03:19 AM
That powder that comes in the little packets sucks ass.

Sometimes I will just use the noodles...like, boil them for awhile then dump them in a bowl with some cream of mushroom soup or something.....I still eat ramen once in awhile, but as I am not working for minimum wage and starving, I am not living on them. Though in my early 20s there were some hard times indeed. When a quarter found on the sidewalk was a fortune.

Ahh memories....
:rolleyes:

twonabomber
01-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
....I still eat ramen once in awhile, but as I am not working for minimum wage and starving, I am not living on them. Though in my early 20s there were some hard times indeed. When a quarter found on the sidewalk was a fortune.

Ahh memories....
:rolleyes:

a 25-cent loaf of bread and a stolen jar of peanut butter went a long way back in the day.

blonddgirl777
01-07-2007, 06:38 AM
a 25-cent loaf of bread and a stolen jar of peanut butter went a long way back in the day.

Memories...

Low income and worries had me starving... I am a picky eater and I always refused to eat bad tasting food...
so I didn't eat at all!
"Very smart"! :rolleyes:

Although, I always had money for coffee... :o
"Very smart"! :rolleyes:

It's surprising how the human body can somehow function on high octane cafeinated drinks only!...

Cato
01-07-2007, 06:47 AM
i never ate ramen noodles,
that's a shame. you should try chicken ramen.

even when i was poor.

ramen noodles are not poor people's foods.

oi! he died at 96. long lived enough eh?

twonabomber
01-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Cato
ramen noodles are not poor people's foods.

they are around here. it's surpassed even generic macaroni and cheese.

blonddgirl777
01-07-2007, 07:00 AM
they are around here...

For sure...

I saw them once, at the Dollar Store... 10/$1.00... and it eaven had "meat" in it!

The_KiD
01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
LOL.. I certainly ate my share in College.. Beer came first, food second.

Cheers,

KiD

diamondsgirl
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Not Momofuko!! :(

WOAHYEAH
01-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
The instant cup ones, are. But, oddly enough, I lost weight when I lived on those things.

I'll second that. When you survive on alcohol and noodles, you develop a fat-melting scurvy like nothin'!

Nitro Express
01-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I was a bodybuilder in college. I was eating all the protien I could get my hands on. Noodles? Bwaaaaha ha ha!

I spent the summers fighting forrest fighters. The govt. feeds you steak and lobster on that deal.

I worked construction jobs where you had more money than time or places to spend it so lets spend it on high quality food.

I always figured you were what you ate so I invested in myself. Cup o' Noodles? I probably would pour that shit on the person who gave it to me.

Ally_Kat
01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I was a bodybuilder in college. I was eating all the protien I could get my hands on. Noodles? Bwaaaaha ha ha!

I spent the summers fighting forrest fighters. The govt. feeds you steak and lobster on that deal.

I worked construction jobs where you had more money than time or places to spend it so lets spend it on high quality food.

I always figured you were what you ate so I invested in myself. Cup o' Noodles? I probably would pour that shit on the person who gave it to me.

well, aren't you all self-important and junk.

WOAHYEAH
01-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Obviously somebody has never had the joy of surviving on PBR/Natty Lite* and dollar foods.

*Or Boh/Maclays if you're Canadian

PutOutTheLights
01-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Oh no!

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I spent the summers fighting forrest fighters.

Why were you fighting forrest fighters?

And why are people fighting forrests in the first place?

Speaking of which, what exactly is a forrest? Like Forrest Whitaker?

:confused:

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 07:09 AM
What I used to do is take the raman, fry or scramble an egg or two, chop up a hot dog, throw in some tomato slices and you've got yourself a pretty inexpensive (and rather tasty) meal.

FORD
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM

I always figured you were what you ate so I invested in myself.

Well, if you are what you eat, then doesn't it follow that you are also whatever you eat was eating?

You do know what lobsters eat, right? They're essentially giant underwater cockroaches, scavenging all the dead shit that sinks to the bottom.

Damn, that almost makes ramen sound appetizing by comparison ;)

Nitro Express
01-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Why were you fighting forrest fighters?

And why are people fighting forrests in the first place?

Speaking of which, what exactly is a forrest? Like Forrest Whitaker?

:confused:
Because I wanted the forrest to burn down. The problem with the forrest is we put out the fires and they get choked with underbrush. If we would just let them burn the forrest would be healthier.

Nitro Express
01-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Well, if you are what you eat, then doesn't it follow that you are also whatever you eat was eating?

You do know what lobsters eat, right? They're essentially giant underwater cockroaches, scavenging all the dead shit that sinks to the bottom.

Damn, that almost makes ramen sound appetizing by comparison ;)

I like all the bottom feeding shit. I suck out crawdads. I eat catfish. If it's slimey and lives in a shell I have to have some of that too.

Nitro Express
01-13-2007, 02:02 AM
I just can't eat Cup O' Noodles. If I was down out broke I probably would kill someone and do the Jeffery Dahmer trip than eat that ramen shit. LOL!

blonddgirl777
01-13-2007, 06:28 AM
I just can't eat Cup O' Noodles. If I was down out broke I probably would kill someone and do the Jeffery Dahmer trip than eat that ramen shit. LOL!

I hate Ramen too but the Jeffery Dahmer trip???
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :uck:
Just thinking about it, makes those noodles look like pure gastronomy!

Douglas T.
01-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Spaghetti O's RULE!

Dr. Love
01-13-2007, 12:54 PM
they are around here. it's surpassed even generic macaroni and cheese.

I don't know any poor people that consistently eat ramen... but I know a lot of poor college students that consistently eat ramen, as well as college students with rich parents that do it.

So far as I know, it's a college staple diet.