PDA

View Full Version : US Sub Hits Japanese Tanker in Arabian Sea

LoungeMachine
01-08-2007, 11:58 PM
U.S. Submarine Hits Japanese Tanker in Arabian Sea (Update1)

By Steven Bodzin

Jan. 9 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. military submarine USS Newport News collided with a Japanese tanker in the Arabian Sea south of the Strait of Hormuz, U.S. Department of Defense spokesman Todd Vician said in a telephone interview.

There were no injuries and no damage that affected the navigational abilities of either vessel, Vician said.

The USS Newport News, a 360-foot (110-meter) nuclear- powered submarine, has 127 officers and crew, according to the U.S. Navy Web site. The crash with the Mogami Gawa, which can carry 2.11 million barrels of oil, happened at about 11:15 p.m. Oman time yesterday, according to a statement on the Web site of Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd., Japan's third-biggest shipping line which owns the ship, said no oil leaked from the tanker and the vessel was heading to port for inspection. The Tokyo-based company didn't give further details other than to say the ship was leased to Showa Shell, a Tokyo-based refiner.

The Strait of Hormuz connects the Persian Gulf with the Arabian Sea and is an important shipping lane for transporting oil products from countries including Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Hardrock69
01-09-2007, 01:58 AM
"HEY WATCH WHERE YOUR'E GOING!!!!"
*HONK HONK!!!*

Nitro Express
01-09-2007, 03:38 AM
Whoops! I wonder if the captain had a tattoo on his dick and a crew of misfits?

BITEYOASS
01-09-2007, 11:26 AM
What the fuck is a submarine doing in a narrow channel anyway? The navy needs more small ships, like corvette's or hydrofoils. Fuck I think during WW2 the british had minisubs that were made for going in narrow areas of water.

Nitro Express
01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Because it feels good. My torpedo likes going though tight spaces as well.

BITEYOASS
01-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Because it feels good. My torpedo likes going though tight spaces as well.

LOL who doesn't! :D But that situation doesn't cost millions of dollars in taxpayer money, unless you fathered hundreds of illegitimate bastard kids.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
My first ship had a minor collison with another U.S. ship in '85, off the coast of the Philippines...

Got us 3 more weeks in Subic Bay, we didn't seem to mind.... ;)

BITEYOASS
01-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
My first ship had a minor collison with another U.S. ship in '85, off the coast of the Philippines...

Got us 3 more weeks in Subic Bay, we didn't seem to mind.... ;)

Let me guess it was an amphib. Every time I read about a collision, it always has something to do with an amphib and an AO replenisher ship. Never went on a MEU det, which sucks cause I kept hearing these stories about Bali and Austailia.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Well, I guess "officially" an amphib was involved...

It was an FFG colliding with my ship, an LCC.... But we were more of a cruise ship than an amphib..

Lqskdiver
01-10-2007, 10:33 PM
"Oh, so sari!! My bad! My bad! So sari! We offer aporogies"

BigBadBrian
01-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

It was an FFG colliding with my ship, an LCC.... But we were more of a cruise ship than an amphib..

The Blueridge , huh?

Yes, LCC = Large Cabin Cruiser. :D

Dr. Love
01-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
"Oh, so sari!! My bad! My bad! So sari! We offer aporogies"

Ha ha, <3 Engrish

Va Beach VH Fan
01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
The Blueridge , huh?

Yes, LCC = Large Cabin Cruiser. :D

Best time of my time Brian, bar none.... :D

Nitro Express
01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
LOL who doesn't! :D But that situation doesn't cost millions of dollars in taxpayer money, unless you fathered hundreds of illegitimate bastard kids.

I haven't accomplished that yet, but I would love to try!