PDA

View Full Version : Non Rock acts Inducted into RRHOF

rothdaddy
01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
This is perplexing to me. Why the hell is Grandmaster Flash being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I know he is "famous" for his song titled "the message" or some shit like that. I felt the same way when Percy Sledge was inducted. I am not a racist. I respect Hendrix and he is rightfully in the RRHOF.

FORD
01-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by rothdaddy
This is perplexing to me. Why the hell is Grandmaster Flash being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I know he is "famous" for his song titled "the message" or some shit like that. I felt the same way when Percy Sledge was inducted. I am not a racist. I respect Hendrix and he is rightfully in the RRHOF.

The term "rock n roll" has expanded (at least as far as the industry is concerned) to include basically any form of music created after 1954.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five certainly weren't a rock band, but (for better or for worse) they were pioneers in the rap genre which later influenced rock and vice versa. You would have never had either a Run-DMC or a Faith No More without them. Or, by extention, an Aerosmith comeback.

As for Percy Sledge, 60's R&B is a huge part of rock n roll, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not so sure Percy rates up there with Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye, but he's known for at least one monster hit song, and he sang the Hell out of it, which influenced others to do the same.

Tiki-Tom
01-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Grandmaster Flash? and no Alice Cooper Band?
What the fuck......RRHOF = A fucking farce.

Hardrock69
01-10-2007, 02:49 AM
I heard GrandMaster Flash's single "White Line" back in the late 70s....listening to WLS over the radio from 500 miles away.

I always thought it was kind of a cool song.

Had a positive message too....about NOT doing drugs.

jharp84
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
FUCK REM!!!!! DAVE should dis them like BBBB-BECK in 1996!

FORD
01-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I heard GrandMaster Flash's single "White Line" back in the late 70s....listening to WLS over the radio from 500 miles away.

I always thought it was kind of a cool song.

Had a positive message too....about NOT doing drugs.

"White Lines" has to be one of the funkiest ass bass lines ever recorded. :cool:

Jack68
01-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The term "rock n roll" has expanded (at least as far as the industry is concerned) to include basically any form of music created after 1954.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five certainly weren't a rock band, but (for better or for worse) they were pioneers in the rap genre which later influenced rock and vice versa. You would have never had either a Run-DMC or a Faith No More without them. Or, by extention, an Aerosmith comeback.

As for Percy Sledge, 60's R&B is a huge part of rock n roll, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not so sure Percy rates up there with Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye, but he's known for at least one monster hit song, and he sang the Hell out of it, which influenced others to do the same.

What?One song gets you into the hall?all the reason its a clusterfuck.Mind you i love the song but Percy Sledge is the Don Mattingly of the rocknroll hall fame.If that maybe Jack Cark.Whitney sang the hell out of the National anthem and it sure as hell doesnt earn her a spot in the hall..Check yourself .

FORD
01-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Whitney? Shit, let's not go there.......

Yeah, I could see the question about so called "one hit wonders" being nominated to the Hall, if indeed old Percy was a one hit wonder. I know I certainly can't name anything else he ever did.

But the term "one hit wonder" can be applied to those who had a lot more influence in music than their Top 40 chart success would indicate. Led Zeppelin only had one charted single in the US.

If Grandmaster Flash got in, then I'm sure NWA will be voted in eventually, though technically they didn't have any "hits", since their songs couldn't be played on the radio.

Jack68
01-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Whitney? Shit, let's not go there.......

Yeah, I could see the question about so called "eventually, though technically they didn't have any "hits", since their songs couldn't be played on the radio.
Whatever.

Jack68
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Im not going to argue the rock and roll hall of fame with you .Im sure im a racist if i say grand masterflash has no place in it.Embarrassing .Tell me how many stevie wonder albums or blues albums you have and how many times youve seen the hard times.Fucking laugh..

twonabomber
01-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Jack68
Tell me how many stevie wonder albums or blues albums you have and how many times youve seen the hard times.Fucking laugh..

it's just as funny as Cobain and some of the other guys whining about how bad their lives were. yeah, suburban white middle-class guys really have it bad... :rolleyes:

FORD
01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
it's just as funny as Cobain and some of the other guys whining about how bad their lives were. yeah, suburban white middle-class guys really have it bad... :rolleyes:

Actually the area where Kurt grew up really isn't all that better than "tha hood", at least in economic terms. Aberdeen in general is an economically depressed town and pretty much has been since the fishing and timber industries both over harvested themselves into oblivion, and there hasn't really been anything to take their place. Retail businesses in the area probably make as much money from those who are passing through on their way to the beach as they do from the locals.