PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's "Halloween"

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Rob Zombie has tapped Danielle Harris (info) — who played Michael Myers' niece, Jamie Lloyd Carruthers, in "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" and "Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers" — to take on the role of Annie Brackett in Zombie's upcoming remake of John Carpenter's 1978 horror classic "Halloween".

The casting breakdown for Rob Zombie's "Halloween" describes Annie Brackett as "Laurie Strode's best friend, cute, and curly-haired, full of teen enthusiasm and charm. Borderline bad girl (she rebels, but in a sweet way)."

"Halloween" cast so far:

Dr. Loomis - played by Malcolm McDowell
Young Michael Myers - played by Daeg Faerch
Adult Michael Myers - played by Tyler Mane
Deborah Myers - played by Sheri Moon Zombie
Mason Strode - played by Pat Skipper
Cynthia Strode - played by Dee Wallace-Stone
Annie Brackett - played by Danielle Harris
Ronnie White - played by William Forsythe
Big Joe - played by Ken Foree
Nole Kluggs - played by Lew Temple
Ismael Cruz - played by Danny Trejo

As previously reported, Zombie has started making a documentary on the production of "Halloween". Zombie wrote in an recent online posting, "Many of you have been asking if I plan on making a 'making of Halloween' documentary similar to the '30 Days In Hell' one on 'The Devil's Rejects' DVD. Well, the answer is yes. We started shooting on the first day of pre-production and we will continue up until we are finished."

Zombie also wrote that he's seen the finished mask that will be worn by "Halloween"'s killer, Michael Myers, and commented, "All I can say is 'HOLY F***.'It looks perfect. Exactly like the original. Not since 1978 has (Myers) looked so good."

"Halloween" is due in theatres on August 31, 2007. Filming begins later this month. The movie is Zombie's third feature film as a director after 2003's "House of 1000 Corpses" and 2005's "The Devil's Rejects".

As reported last week, Zombie announced that he is working on a boxed set for his previous band, WHITE ZOMBIE. A solo live album is also scheduled for release sometime early this year.

I, for one, am FUCKING STOKED about this. Stellar cast, no doubt...and if Rob's first two films are any indication (House of 1000 Corpses & The Devils Rejects), we're in for a REAL treat. Rob knows how to film a 70's horror film...like it's a 70's horror film...and that's more credit than I can give a lot of dudes.

Honestly, House & Rejects are two of the best horror films to come down the tailpipe in years, so far as I'm concerned...

I really think this remake is going to do Halloween justice - and it's certainly better than sitting through Halloween pt. 34, or whatever they're up to now.

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Now if I can just convince somebody to give "Last House on the Left" another whack, I'll be in cult heaven...

Bill Lumbergh
01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm just tired of remakes in general, so I'm still having a hard time getting excited over this...........and I loved the Devils Rejects.

Isaac R.
01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Re-making Halloween:confused:
Sounds like a bad idea, but at least it`s Rob Zombie doing it.
Hell, they could have given it to someone like Paul WS Anderson:uck:

Plus, any director that puts Danny Trejo, Ken Foree & William Forsythe in the same flick must have at least a glimmer of a clue:)

Not sure about a `roid raging Shape tho.

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I'm just tired of remakes in general, so I'm still having a hard time getting excited over this...........and I loved the Devils Rejects.

I'm sending Doctor Satan to your office if you don't shape your ass up, Lumbergh.

You know, I'm getting really tired of this shit! Why am I still cutting you Sheep Pen Paychecks, anyway?!?

:mad:

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Isaac R.
Re-making Halloween:confused:
Sounds like a bad idea, but at least it`s Rob Zombie doing it.
Hell, they could have given it to someone like Paul WS Anderson:uck:

Plus, any director that puts Danny Trejo, Ken Foree & William Forsythe in the same flick must have at least a glimmer of a clue:)

Not sure about a `roid raging Shape tho.

Malcolm McDowell...Dee Wallace Stone...

Like I said - great cast so far...

And Sheri Moon Zombie is always a treat for the eyes, even when she's drenched in blood... :)

Isaac R.
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah! glanced right over that one...
http://img7.imagevenue.com/loc570/th_37972_sheri_123_570lo.jpg

:p

Bill Lumbergh
01-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I'm sending Doctor Satan to your office if you don't shape your ass up, Lumbergh.

You know, I'm getting really tired of this shit! Why am I still cutting you Sheep Pen Paychecks, anyway?!?

:mad:

Hey, I'm starting to show up for work again, so stop the fucking bitching! And btw, you KNOW I'm a Captain Spaulding guy..........

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
im just amazed there is somebody out there that liked house of 1000 corpses

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey, I'm starting to show up for work again, so stop the fucking bitching! And btw, you KNOW I'm a Captain Spaulding guy..........

True dat!

Good to have you back around on a regular basis, though, seriously...

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
im just amazed there is somebody out there that liked house of 1000 corpses

Absolutely. It's a perfect little slice of 70's B grade horror on a professional budget, but filmed EXACTLY like a fan of the genre would do it...fucking brilliant movie...

Now - admittedly the Doctor Satan mutants were a bit on the strange side, but...the movie was so ridiculously cool, I wasn't going to complain.

Devils Rejects was actually a bit more of a 70's vigilante flick than a 70's horror flick, I think, but still remarkably well done.

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
Looking forward to it. I wonder whether Rob's movie or Glenn Danzig's movie would come out first.

Ha!

Anything Glenn Danzig related - music, movies, comics, whatever - is always going to be late! It's tradition!

lmao

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
"ill get you to a doctor" low and behold its doctor satan.Must say bob you are the first person i have heard of that is looking forward to "halloween"

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm not opposed to remakes, considering they're done respectfully and correctly. I think Rob will handle Halloween with class, personally...hell, I'm practically more a fan of his movies than his music in some regards...

Well, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge White Zombie fan from back in the day...

Still, I'm actually thinking it's going to be a remake worth watching. Comparitively speaking, I just finished watching the Omen remake and was rather...unimpressed. Not that it was bad, per se, it was just essentially pointless to have done it. Didn't really add anything to the original or even do it justice...same problem I had with the last Texas Chainsaw Massacre update...

That said, Julia Stiles is still pretty kick ass, so I won't hold it against her...

Terry
01-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Those ARE some excellent casting choices.

I'm not really thrilled with remakes either, but sometimes the remakes actually are as good as (if not better than) the original. Two cases in point are Ocean's 11 and The Hills Have Eyes.

After the drek of Halloween 6 through 8, I'm just REEEEEEAL leery of the series in general, but I'll check it out. Seeing as Moustapha is dead and can no longer infect the production with his utter greed and lack of quality control, this one might actually be worthy of the first 2 movies in the series.

Bill Lumbergh
01-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I actually enjoyed 4 and 5, but yeah, 6 is a straight up piece of monkey shit. I'd love for Rob to prove me wrong here........at least I know his heart and intentions are in the right place.......

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
"ill get you to a doctor" low and behold its doctor satan.

Originally, "Doctor Satan" was going to be Grandpa - just a wild fairy tale to get kids to go out looking for him and draw victims to the Firefly clan, but Rob eventually decided that was somewhat anti-climatic.

Interestingly enough, Rob's also suggested that the whole Doctor Satan encounter (both times) might have been a hallucination brought on by the trauma of dealing with the Fireflys, although that is somewhat unlikely, I think.

The point of the movie is really, I think, that the kids went looking for trouble against all better advice (even Spaulding warned them to stay out of it, and with the exception of the girls they pretty much dismissed him); they simply found what they were looking for.

The bonus features of the Devils Rejects had an extended Doctor Satan scene, but after watching it I'm kinda glad they left the footage on the floor - didn't really fit the theme of the rest of the movie.

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
:D I know! I've been waiting for the Lost Tracks of Danzig. It was said that it would be out by Xmas, and now the latest news is that it would be out in April or May. And how about that blues project with Jerry Cantrell or Hank III?

Yeah, I've been waiting for that with a lot of anticipation, too. Hell, I remember hearing about Black Aria II for the first time nearly six years ago...

As far as the Jerry/Hank III album, I'm not going to hold my breath; it'd be really neat to hear (as I still rank Lucifuge my favorite Danzig album, I'm hoping it'll be akin to that), but who knows when...

Terry
01-11-2007, 08:45 PM
I actually enjoyed 4 and 5, but yeah, 6 is a straight up piece of monkey shit. I'd love for Rob to prove me wrong here........at least I know his heart and intentions are in the right place.......

4 was decent.

5 was just silly. Myers removing his mask and shedding a tear? Jesus!!!

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Those ARE some excellent casting choices.

I'm not really thrilled with remakes either, but sometimes the remakes actually are as good as (if not better than) the original. Two cases in point are Ocean's 11 and The Hills Have Eyes.

After the drek of Halloween 6 through 8, I'm just REEEEEEAL leery of the series in general, but I'll check it out. Seeing as Moustapha is dead and can no longer infect the production with his utter greed and lack of quality control, this one might actually be worthy of the first 2 movies in the series.

Yup.

Most of the later Halloween movies were prime examples of why direct-to-video was invented...

Bill Lumbergh
01-11-2007, 08:52 PM
4 was decent.

5 was just silly. Myers removing his mask and shedding a tear? Jesus!!!

Yeah, that was fucking ridiculous bro.....how bout that bum caring for Myers for an entire year? So he changed his shit, fed him somehow etc.?! WTF???!!!!

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Well...I have two ideal Danzig bands...

Glenn Danzig, John Christ, Eerie Von and Chuck Biscuits being one; Glenn Danzig, Doyle, Jerry Only and Arthur Googy being the other. However...since neither of those appear to be a reality, I'll look forward to seeing what he's got together...

Not for nothing but I think the last...eh...18 incarnations of "Danzig" (the band) haven't really gelled very well...

Still, I'll have to get my ass over to Youtube and look at that stuff, since I haven't seen it. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that!

Terry
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, that was fucking ridiculous bro.....how bout that bum caring for Myers for an entire year? So he changed his shit, fed him somehow etc.?! WTF???!!!!

With that fucking mina bird cawing in the background...

I mean, the flick had some nice opening credits, a nice cliffhanger tie-in from the ending of the fourth one...and then we see shit like Mike picking up that broad and driving her around to get a pack of smokes...and was it just me or was that film lit so poorly that you couldn't even SEE half the shit going on?

bueno bob
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM

I mean, the flick had some nice opening credits, a nice cliffhanger tie-in from the ending of the fourth one...and then we see shit like Mike picking up that broad and driving her around to get a pack of smokes...and was it just me or was that film lit so poorly that you couldn't even SEE half the shit going on?

Typical of low-budget horror; the lighting is so bad, you cant see how fake the effects are...or non-existant, as the case may be...

Matt White
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
HA!!!

ROB knows what he's doing...it'll be a good movie

Bill Lumbergh
01-12-2007, 12:40 AM

The one thing that really pissed me off about Pt. 4, is you dont get a full satisfying view of that blonde bitches huge rack......only a weak ass partial shot.........

Terry
01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
The one thing that really pissed me off about Pt. 4, is you dont get a full satisfying view of that blonde bitches huge rack......only a weak ass partial shot.........

That whole scene was so brief it may as well not have even been included.

If you're gonna have a sex scene with a babe that hot, you may as well have a good two minute scene with full-on frontal. It's a Halloween movie. Not PBS.

Isaac R.
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Here`s a somewhat less than glowing review of the script I came across.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31221

Granted, there are some interesting ideas there, and the guy does admit that it`s an early draft, but...

Terry
01-14-2007, 06:37 PM
See, the whole Myers-being-the-brother-of-Laurie Strode angle was something Carpenter only came up with as an afterthought when editing the film for the first tv broadcast, and he discovered that after the edits he would need some filler to have enough film to fill out the 2 hr schedule.

The Myers angle was always the scariest in the first movie, where there really is no explanation given as to why Myers killed his sister, and no connection to Strode or her friends. The very randomness of it all was more frightening than anything else, and for most of the first film Myers was very human (until the very end) - not some unstoppable force powered by celtic runes or supernatural powers...

I just hope Zombie doesn't demystify the character with a 90-minute explanation...

Plus, a ten-year old Myers masturbating while looking at pictures of animals he killed just isn't needed, mostly because that stereotype of such formulaic childhood behavior necessarily leading one to becoming a serial killer in adulthood is a) beneath Zombie's intelligence level, and b) not true in the slightest.

Unchainme
08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/Halloweentrio.jpg

Apparently Michael Myers is a KI$$ Fan? :confused:

Redballjets88
08-26-2007, 02:32 PM
the weakest of the halloween movies is the 3rd i think, the one with no michael at all and its about like hypnotic tvs and masks.....fuckin stupid.

Dave's Bitch
08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
I suppose all Michael Myers fans can take comfort in the fact that there will be no silly jive mother fucker (Busta Rhymes) to come and beat him back with witty one liners and then kick his ass

Redballjets88
08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I suppose all Michael Myers fans can take comfort in the fact that there will be no silly jive mother fucker (Busta Rhymes) to come and beat him back with witty one liners and then kick his ass

arent you dead?

Redballjets88
08-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
arent you dead?

youve been gone awhile

Bonzo1026
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
There are certain movies that just shouldn't be fucked with and I feel Halloween is one of them. I already see from the previews that it looks to be just a gorefest with blood everywhere expliaing shit we now already know. The original scared the holy fuck outta me and there wasn't a drop of blood until the end when Myers swipes Laurie's arm with the knife. There's something to be said for that. Same with Jaws. You didn't even see the fucking shark until 2 hours in! I guess they'll be remaking that next.

Everyone says it's cool now because of all the special effects capabilities. I think today's audiences are just way too into instant gratification and have no imagination or attention span. There's something to be said for suggestiveness and inferring gore instead of having it right in front of your face. For example, I find a woman that wears suggestive clothing much more sexy than a woman that's just plain flat out naked. It all looks the same pretty much, it's the presentation that differs and creates excitement.

I don't know, I just think that the only things coming out are remakes. It's getting to be that if anyone in Hollywood had an original thought in their head, it would die of lonliness.

Goes for music too................

Bonzo1026
08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
See, the whole Myers-being-the-brother-of-Laurie Strode angle was something Carpenter only came up with as an afterthought when editing the film for the first tv broadcast, and he discovered that after the edits he would need some filler to have enough film to fill out the 2 hr schedule.

The Myers angle was always the scariest in the first movie, where there really is no explanation given as to why Myers killed his sister, and no connection to Strode or her friends. The very randomness of it all was more frightening than anything else, and for most of the first film Myers was very human (until the very end) - not some unstoppable force powered by celtic runes or supernatural powers...

I just hope Zombie doesn't demystify the character with a 90-minute explanation...

Plus, a ten-year old Myers masturbating while looking at pictures of animals he killed just isn't needed, mostly because that stereotype of such formulaic childhood behavior necessarily leading one to becoming a serial killer in adulthood is a) beneath Zombie's intelligence level, and b) not true in the slightest.

A-FUCKING-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cMb
08-28-2007, 07:55 PM
The previews look pretty cool, but they always look cool.

I think Rob will put out a great movie. He has too much respect for the history of horror movies to put out a piece of shit.

Terry
08-28-2007, 07:58 PM
The previews look decent, and will agree that Zombie does seem to have good intentions...

Gonna be hard to really remake what was such a brilliant film to begin with...Zombie is going to have to do something very unique to have his version resonate as much as Carpenter's still does.

Think it's coming out in the next few days, or some such shit (had heard somewhere it was slated for release in late August). Will probably go see it the second week it's in the theaters (don't want to wait much longer than that, as if this is even IN theaters for more than a month I'll be shocked).

cMb
08-28-2007, 08:19 PM
It's out Friday. I plan on seeing it this weekend cuz I doubt it's going to be one of those 'wait in line to get in' movies.

The timing does seem kind of odd. Shouldn't this be an October opening?

I'm not expecting an all-time classic, but I just can't imagine Rob will put out a sub-standard 'Halloween' film. He understands the history & importance behind this film. If this movie was going to be made, I'm glad it's him doing it.

Of course there is going to be the purists who just don't want to see ANY film remade. They will knock it no matter what.

I like all eras of horror movies, so I'm pretty stoked to see what he's done. It can't be any worse than some of those sorry-ass sequels!

H20 anyone?:D

Terry
08-29-2007, 08:33 PM
H20 had a great beginning and ending - too bad the rest of it was a Scream clone.

Think at least half the flicks in the series weren't even released in October, which is just weird.

I dunno...Zombie has a decent cast in it, claims to have a lot of respect for the original and this one isn't exactly a remake but rather a reconceptualization, so I'll catch it without too many expectations.

Shit, after the last 3 flicks in the series, this one doesn't even have to be great to be decent in comparison (the absolute nadir of the series, IMO, was the last one. Busta Rhymes and that whole grainy webcam-in-Myers-house angle was just fuckin' irritating. Hard to believe Rosenthal, who did such a great job with H2, directed that piece of utter SHITE!)

jharp84
08-31-2007, 12:08 AM
H20 had a great beginning and ending - too bad the rest of it was a Scream clone.

Think at least half the flicks in the series weren't even released in October, which is just weird.

I dunno...Zombie has a decent cast in it, claims to have a lot of respect for the original and this one isn't exactly a remake but rather a reconceptualization, so I'll catch it without too many expectations.

Shit, after the last 3 flicks in the series, this one doesn't even have to be great to be decent in comparison (the absolute nadir of the series, IMO, was the last one. Busta Rhymes and that whole grainy webcam-in-Myers-house angle was just fuckin' irritating. Hard to believe Rosenthal, who did such a great job with H2, directed that piece of utter SHITE!)

Exactly!:) However! AS the once "hot" maybe still "hot"???? Stevie Nicks stated: I can't wait!!!

jharp84
08-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Bonzo1026
There are certain movies that just shouldn't be fucked with and I feel Halloween is one of them. I already see from the previews that it looks to be just a gorefest with blood everywhere expliaing shit we now already know. The original scared the holy fuck outta me and there wasn't a drop of blood until the end when Myers swipes Laurie's arm with the knife. There's something to be said for that. Same with Jaws. You didn't even see the fucking shark until 2 hours in! I guess they'll be remaking that next.

Everyone says it's cool now because of all the special effects capabilities. I think today's audiences are just way too into instant gratification and have no imagination or attention span. There's something to be said for suggestiveness and inferring gore instead of having it right in front of your face. For example, I find a woman that wears suggestive clothing much more sexy than a woman that's just plain flat out naked. It all looks the same pretty much, it's the presentation that differs and creates excitement.

I don't know, I just think that the only things coming out are remakes. It's getting to be that if anyone in Hollywood had an original thought in their head, it would die of lonliness.

Excellent POINT!!
Goes for music too................ :cool:

jharp84
08-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Bonzo1026

Goes for music too................

EXCELLENT POINT!!!!

Douglas T.
09-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Saw it! Ths kid is wacked! His step-dad is worse! Don't want to spoil any suprises! Lot's of leads to first movie! The masterbation scene was quik ... they didn't actually show what he was doing his sister just bust in and says something! I liked it for the most part. The best parts was when he was a kid.
Worth the $9 to get in I guess!

This has nothing to do with it I just put it here for B-Bob!
http://www.top-greetings.com/news/7/05/bike-0830.jpg

Terry
09-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Saw it today as well.

Not to shabby. Not too shabby at all. Respectful of Carpenter and the original, yet differed enough to make it worth watching; not a pointless, slavish remake.

Some problems with historical anachronisms (things being used out of place in terms of time/year reference) and the intentional shakiness of the camerawork in spots isn't my cup of tea, but overall Zombie turned in a solid bit of work.

Overall ranking of the series in terms of interest:
1. Halloween (1978)/Halloween 2 - tie
2. Halloween H20 (first 15 minutes and last 5 minutes only)
3. Halloween (2007)
4. Halloween 4 / Halloween 6 (Producer's Cut)
5. Halloween 3
6. Halloween 6 (Theatrical release)
7. Halloween H20 (the rest of the movie)
8. Halloween 5
9. Halloween Resurrection

Like Douglas T says, MM in the 2007 flick is one sick little monkey.

If you enjoy the series, particularly if one doesn't care for where the series went over the last several films, this one is a back-to-basics jolt in the arm and a fun time out at the theater.

cMb
09-03-2007, 08:04 PM
The film kind of fell flat for me in the second half. The first hour was a great build-up, but then after Michael escapes, I didn't really care who lived or died. It started off as a twisted story, but then lost the 'story' part.

I can't really compare it to any of the others. It's far more brutal & graphic than any other in the series.

I haven't seen the original in probably about 2 or 3 years, but the 2 films seem to have little in common other than a few 'tip-of-the-cap' scenes.

Terry
09-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by cMb
The film kind of fell flat for me in the second half. The first hour was a great build-up, but then after Michael escapes, I didn't really care who lived or died. It started off as a twisted story, but then lost the 'story' part.

I can't really compare it to any of the others. It's far more brutal & graphic than any other in the series.

I haven't seen the original in probably about 2 or 3 years, but the 2 films seem to have little in common other than a few 'tip-of-the-cap' scenes.

Downside of the film is in spite of taking the first half of it to try and explain why and how Myers grew up to do what he did, it kinda fell short. It's like, okay, in this version Mike came from a white-trash, dysfunctional family and was picked on a lot as a kid, which led to him first killing animals and eventually people. That's pretty much the explanation. It also skipped over about a decade and half of his stay in Smith's Grove; how exactly did this movie's Myers grow up to have the physique of a professional wrestler after spending years in a cell making paper mache Halloween masks?

Also, how in this one does Myers even find out Laurie Strode is his sister?

The original theatrical release had Myers coming from what appeared to be a middle-class family, Strode was just a random victim (none of this sibling business was slipped in until Halloween 2 and the simulatneous reshoots for the first televised Halloween version) and there really wasn't anything by way of explanation as to why Myers did what he did. Much scarier, because it basically let the viewer fill in the backstory and motivations via imagination.

But after the abominations of Halloween 5 through Halloween Resurrection, the series turned out something decent with Zombie's Halloween (even if half of the kudos is only by comparison to the aforementioned sequel suckfests).

jharp84
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terry
[B]Saw it today as well.

3. Halloween (2007)
5. Halloween 3
8. Halloween 5

Have to disagree with ranking 1 and 2 as a tie? One was a CLASSIC ORIGINAL, with Scenes that scared even the "I can't be/don't get scared" crowd as I witnessed! Part two, to me, seemed like a quick "cash-in" based mostly on gore/death with the plot "sketched together" in rush mode to capitalize on sequels, etc.etc. at the time! However, thanks to all for the early reviews!!

cMb
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I have to agree with that ranking of Halloween 5 though... I watched that yesterday... No boobies, the kills are fair, but who is the fucking 'silver boots' guy? WTF? Michaels twin brother?? Looks more like Sebastian Bach! :D

As for H07, the most graphic & disturbing parts occur in the first 2/3rds of the flick. The last third just wasn't suspenseful enough to put the movie 'over the top'. I don't know if it was the soundtrack, the plot, the pacing... or what. Maybe it was the fact that I knew he was going to kill everybody until he got to Laurie. But then what? I still don't understand that part. Was it just 'Michaels coming home & wants to see his sister', but then she pisses him off instead? Umm....OK.

The first 70 minutes were so violent & gritty that a BANG ending was necessary & I just didn't feel it delivered. Fuck it, maybe I'm just getting old.

I watched the workprint floating around the net & it is pretty amazing to see all the changes that were made in the last couple of months before the premier of this movie. Not just little soundtrack changes, but entire segments of the movie are entirely different, including the last 15 or-so minutes. Neither ending was particularly good, but the theatrical one was better IMO.

Anyway, I'll watch the original at some point this week to see exactly what scenes Zombie lifted.

cMb
09-04-2007, 10:15 PM

Also, how in this one does Myers even find out Laurie Strode is his sister?

Danielle Harris screaming out Laurie's name as she's topless & bleeding :cool: is the best I can figure.

tajmahal
09-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Now I know where Michael Myers got the mask idea - from Kiss!! The King of the Night time World.

jharp84
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by tajmahal
Now I know where Michael Myers got the mask idea - from Kiss!! The King of the Night time World.

Actually! It was a William Shatner mask!!

jharp84
09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry! Thought you meant the origin of the Myers mask!!

bueno bob
09-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Certainly had a big fucking opening...people were all over that shit.

Pretty well establishes Rob has arrived. House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects laid some good groundwork, but with the new Halloween's opening take, I imagine he'll be able to write some pretty big tickets in the future...

Isaac R.
09-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Certainly had a big fucking opening...people were all over that shit.

Pretty well establishes Rob has arrived. House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects laid some good groundwork, but with the new Halloween's opening take, I imagine he'll be able to write some pretty big tickets in the future...
Yep.
I read something aboot a two picture deal with Dimension (I think) and the next movie won't be a Halloween sequel...might not even be horror:eek:

Fairwrning
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I thought it was an Ok remake..I did like the extended time spent on Myers as a kid but it took away from all any lengthy suspense at the later part of the movie..just about a 2 hr film as it is.
The original was better at scaring you..Zombie makes things happen a bit too quick in this one.
Somebody compared it to JAWS earlier because you are left wondering when the guy is gonna..OH SHIT ..HES IN THE CAR....
Not a bad movie but NOBODY will outdo the original .

Terry
09-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by cMb
I have to agree with that ranking of Halloween 5 though... I watched that yesterday... No boobies, the kills are fair, but who is the fucking 'silver boots' guy? WTF? Michaels twin brother?? Looks more like Sebastian Bach! :D

As for H07, the most graphic & disturbing parts occur in the first 2/3rds of the flick. The last third just wasn't suspenseful enough to put the movie 'over the top'. I don't know if it was the soundtrack, the plot, the pacing... or what. Maybe it was the fact that I knew he was going to kill everybody until he got to Laurie. But then what? I still don't understand that part. Was it just 'Michaels coming home & wants to see his sister', but then she pisses him off instead? Umm....OK.

The first 70 minutes were so violent & gritty that a BANG ending was necessary & I just didn't feel it delivered. Fuck it, maybe I'm just getting old.

I watched the workprint floating around the net & it is pretty amazing to see all the changes that were made in the last couple of months before the premier of this movie. Not just little soundtrack changes, but entire segments of the movie are entirely different, including the last 15 or-so minutes. Neither ending was particularly good, but the theatrical one was better IMO.

Anyway, I'll watch the original at some point this week to see exactly what scenes Zombie lifted.

H20 I saw in the theater, and I remember the whole audience gasping at the beheading; nobody expected that.

At some point I'm gonna snag a copy of the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 - have seen the deleted footage here and there on the net, but when I saw THAT one in the theater, am not ashamed to admit I didn't have the slightest clue WHAT the fuck was supposed to be going on story-wise throughout the whole thing...then Paul Rudd beat up Myers with a lead pipe (even more cringeworthy than Busta Rhymes kung fu fighting in Resurrection), and 6 just kinda ended ubruptly...it was like "o-KAY??".

Terry
09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terry
[B]Saw it today as well.

3. Halloween (2007)
5. Halloween 3
8. Halloween 5

Have to disagree with ranking 1 and 2 as a tie? One was a CLASSIC ORIGINAL, with Scenes that scared even the "I can't be/don't get scared" crowd as I witnessed! Part two, to me, seemed like a quick "cash-in" based mostly on gore/death with the plot "sketched together" in rush mode to capitalize on sequels, etc.etc. at the time! However, thanks to all for the early reviews!!

Have looked at 1 and 2 as pretty much one flick for awhile now (at some point am gonna make my own seamless copy of 1 and 2, probably using H1 Extended Widescreen Edition, H2 Theatrical Widescreen edition and editing in the H2 pan and scan scenes shot for tv in the appropriate places).

Sure, H2 lost some of the suspense in exchange for gore and showed Myers more than the first flick did, but it's the same as any other horror sequel; the element of the unknown is gone after the first movie is made. H2 is actually one of my favorite sequels of any genre. True cliffhanger opening.

Same goes for H4 and H5, which I tend to look at as one flick due to the fairly seamless transitions between the endings and openings, in how the flicks were tied together (although in both H1/H2 and H4/H5, the amount of gunshots at the end of H1 and H4 weren't consistent with the amount of shots at the beginning of H2 and H5.

Isaac R.
09-09-2007, 06:19 AM
DVD quality rip of the "Workprint" recently leaked to the torrentz...quite an improvement over the theatrical version imho.
The escape sequence is totally different and a few of the kills are a little more mean spirited.
Endings way changed for the better to...
http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/thumbs20070909060827bf7.jpg (http://imagesocket.com/view/thumbs20070909060827bf7.jpg)
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133331/H3525214bduvohavalva.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133344/H3525214bduvohavalva.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133313/H3525214bduvohavalva.part3.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133351/H3525214bduvohavalva.part4.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133325/H3525214bduvohavalva.part5.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133293/H3525214bduvohavalva.part6.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133348/H3525214bduvohavalva.part7.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/54133272/H3525214bduvohavalva.part8.rar
Password : rslinks.org
If you're intrested you better grab it asap...somebody's been nuking the links within days of them being posted.