PDA

View Full Version : 176,00 Disability Claims from Iraq, Afghanistan Vets

LoungeMachine
01-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Jan. 11, 2007 5:51pm • Register • Help

Disability Claims Sideline Veterans Care

VA Facilities Provide Good Medical Treatment, But Vets Face Long Claims Backlog

(CBS) Sean Lewis lost his right leg to a mortar shell in Iraq. But as CBS News correspondent Wyatt Andrews reports, he proudly shows off his state-of-the-art prosthetic.

Lewis has nothing but praise for how his injury was treated, both by the Army and the Veterans Administration. But the way the VA handled his claim for disability is a much different story.

"Probably the worst thing in the world," Lewis says of the way his claim was handled. "On the medical side, you can't rave enough about it. On the benefit side, you don't have anything but complaints."

Lewis is upset because eight months after his discharge from the Army, the VA still hasn't determined his final disability rating. That delay has given him $1,000 a month less than he was owed and given him trouble with the mortgage. He adds that he has "problems with bills, stress in the relationship because you are having problems with the money."

When Lewis left Walter Reed Hospital, his disability records were supposed to be transferred immediately. Instead, he says, the VA lost his files, a charge the VA denies.

"I didn't expect eight months of people having me chase my own tail around in circles," Lewis says.

According to the nation's top veterans organizations, Lewis' long wait to get what he's owed is typical. In a report on the needs of young veterans, the groups said the VA benefits system suffered from "inadequate funding" and "insufficient manpower."

The problem, everyone agrees, is the overwhelming numbers. Veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have already filed 176,000 new disability claims, but have run into a VA backlog of more than 400,000 cases. VA officials say reducing this backlog is their top priority.

"I am not happy with it. I want it to be shorter," says Secretary Jim Nicholson.

Nicholson says the hurdle is that every claim has to be verified when none of the records are on computers. "They're all paper and some are (very) thick. We are working this; it's a big deal for us. It's a high priority," Nicholson says.

But Nicholson insists the VA is not understaffed, an assertion veterans groups call absurd. Lewis sees a mistake-prone agency in need of a wartime upgrade.

"We are out there doing what we have to do for the betterment of the country," Lewis says. "Why should it take eight months to file paperwork when you have everything you need to file a claim?"

With a surge in troops headed to Iraq, more casualties and disabilities can be expected in the future. They will add to the surge in frustration veterans like Lewis feel already.

LoungeMachine
01-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

The problem, everyone agrees, is the overwhelming numbers. Veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have already filed 176,000 new disability claims, but have run into a VA backlog of more than 400,000 cases. VA officials say reducing this backlog is their top priority.

176,00 disability claims?

Has the DOD reported 176,000 disabled casualties?????

Something doesn't add up.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Glad I took care of my stuff before the floodgates opened up....

LoungeMachine
01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Glad I took care of my stuff before the floodgates opened up....

Alarmingly appropriate choice of words for this week. :(

FORD
01-11-2007, 10:34 PM
So if the 176,000 are from Chimpy's wars, where are the other 224,000 backlogged cases from? :confused:

Seshmeister
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Who pays for this?

I guess it's just another loan from the Chinese.

Phil theStalker
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Yeh, and for 3,003 KIAs the ratio of 176,000 doesn't add up either.

What's injuring and disabling all our troops?

Depleted uranium?

Post trauma for war crimes?

"Would u be willing t2o shoot AmeriKans for gun cuntfiscation?"

Da will aff da people is clearly not a factor anymore.

I can see when it's going t2o bee against da law t2o SHOOT a CAMERA in your own HOUSE!

It's going t2o be a messy t2wo more years wit BuSh. More BUll SHit!

:spank:-

Lqskdiver
01-12-2007, 03:28 PM
y u type like ur on im?? is it a sidekik ur usin???

LoungeMachine
01-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
y u type like ur on im?? is it a sidekik ur usin???

Phil types with a pencil between his teeth and one eye on the computer....

Don't ask why, it just gets ugly ;)

hideyoursheep
01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Maybe they could get some 'Guest Workers' to clean up that backlog.
"Uuuhhhmm, yeeaaahhh,Im gonna neeed Youuu to come in on saturday,okayy? Ohh! annnd I'm also gonna neeed youuu to come in on, let's say,sunday tooo,yeeaaahhh. seeems we're a little uhh behind and we gotta play catch-up."

"I need ah yob!"

Nickdfresh
01-19-2007, 09:49 PM

The guy who installed my cable was "psychologically disabled" after having served three tours: one in Afghanistan, then two in Iraq. Awfully nice kid, we talked for a while.

BigBadBrian
01-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Maybe not, but we need to keep this in perspective.

Women get 50% disability if they've had a hysterectomy while on active duty. You're paying her several hundred a month tax free for this.

Also, when you file a disability claim with the VA, they look at a serviceman's health record, not service record.

In other words, it's pretty hard to gauge exactly how many casualties happened in Iraq or Afghanistan from VA figures.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Women get 50% disability if they've had a hysterectomy while on active duty. You're paying her several hundred a month tax free for this.

Not only that, but you can get up to 50% disability if you have certain cases of sleep apnea....

If you ask my ol' lady, she thinks I should get some of that money, but that's a different story.... ;)

Another thing to remember...

Unless you get 50% disability or over, this percentage of disability really only means that the amount of money that the percentage translates to is going to be tax-exempt, it really isn't extra money awarded to you....

For example, I was awarded 5% disability when I retired (knee surgery)...

Translates to about 105 dollars a month....

But what really happens is that while the VA will commence paying you that 105 dollars a month (and you do not report that $105 as taxable income), the Navy, in my case, DEDUCTS $105 a month from my retirement check.....

Now as I said, that's only up to 50% disability.... The government a few years ago modified the disability rules to where if you get at least that percentage disability, the service in question will not deduct that portion from your check....