PDA

View Full Version : Michael Schenker: Virtuoso Drunk

Hardrock69
01-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Interview with Rev Jones here:

http://webzine.pivotalalliance.com/interviews.php?subaction=showfull&id=1168492301&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1

Pivotal Rage recently conducted an interview with MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP/KOTTAK bassist Rev Jones. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Pivotal Rage: You guys [MSG] had scheduled a North America tour for the fall of 2006. I was very disappointed that the tour didn't happen. What really went down? I know the reason was something having to with Jari's (Tiura; vocals) personal or family issues? Was Jari thrown under the bus?

Rev Jones: Jari's family had nothing to do with it, the tour canceled because [Michael] Schenker couldn't afford to pay us our weekly salaries without taking a cut in pay. We haggled over this for a month until it came to the point where I quit the band and the next day Jari quit, so they canceled the tour and put the blame on Jari. The thing is all you had to do was read his website to figure out the truth, he was hinting about canceling the tour for two weeks putting the blame on other people then he changed it to Jari. The truth is if he would have took a cut in his own pay he still would have made a fortune on merchandise and he would have done a great tour, but instead he just added another canceled tour to his list of stupid Schenker moments. The only reason that I'm telling you all these things is because everyone always lies and tries to make him out as the victim. He is not the victim, his fans are. Every time he does an interview he talks about all these things that happen to him but he always leaves out details of why things really happen. He talks about his wife leaving him and selling everything, but he leaves out the fact that he abandoned her and their kid and his whole band on tour in 2001. He just took off and left us and went with some crazy lady to Mexico, so why wouldn't she sell everything. He cares about no one, not even himself.

Pivotal Rage: And you recently issued a statement which reads: "I want to apologize to all the fans that wrote to me and all the fans in Japan and Thailand for the talent less guitar player that took place on stage next to me at the last three MSG shows. I myself could not believe how bad Schenker played. Although me, Pete (Holmes, drums), Jari (Tiura; vocals), and Wayne (Findley; guitar/keyboards) all gave 110%, in my eyes he gave less then 1% and that is so disrespectful not only to the band and the crew but also to the loyal MSG fans. So again I apologize for his actions because he would never apologize himself. We have two more shows and it is OVER." I know when I e-mailed you about setting an interview, you "had no idea" if and when there would be a U.S. tour. That didn't exactly sound too optimistic or that you'd be taking part in it. Just what went down on the Asian leg of the tour and are you still a member of MSG?

Rev Jones: Well, as I stated earlier I left the band because of the money thing with the USA tour. Well he realized that the Japan/Asia was very important, so he paid myself and Jari in advance to come back and do the tour. I had no plans to do any more MSG dates after this, but to help him save what was left of his career, and for the pleasure of playing to all the Japanese fans, I agreed to do it. I figured that the importance of this tour would make him get his act together, because the last couple of shows we did he played pretty bad; in fact the Wacken Open Air show was going to be released on DVD but his performance was not good enough. But I figured that here we are going back to Japan after all these years, and it's a sold-out tour that he would be in top form. I was so wrong. The first three shows were OK, but I noticed he was drinking a lot more than usual and I could hear it a bit in his playing. Well, we come on stage for the fourth Japan show and right from the opening riff of the first song I knew the show would never end; he was so drunk he couldn't play these parts that he has been playing for so many years, so after the second song he walked off stage. After about five minutes he returned and we started playing "Let It Roll", he made it to the second verse and realized he couldn't play so he threw his guitar down and walked off stage leaving us to finish the song without him. So then we, the band, had to apologize to the fans for him, and then they started saying, "Oh, he is ill" and he started making excuses to us, but never did he apologize to me. Then the next night he was drunk again but he made it through the show, barely. So then we went to Thailand and had two days off. We all thought it would get better — wishful thinking. We go onstage there are about 3,000 fans and MTV Asia is filming and it seems like it will be a great show, but then the truth set in. He was so drunk that he never played one note in key. It was hideous. Me and Pete both wear in-ear monitors so neither one of us could escape hearing his guitar. I am only being honest because no one else will. My little brother doesn't play guitar but he could have played just as good as Schenker that night. Amazingly, we made it through the show, even though he yelled and cursed at the fans for no reason. Then we went to Hong Kong, and to my amazement, he played almost halfway decent, or it at least it seemed that way after the last three shows. Then we start to head to Taiwan — one more show and it is over. All we talked about was how this was the longest two-week tour of our lives. We thought nothing could get worse. Then we were checking in at the airport and they said that Schenker needed a special visa to get into Taiwan, so after the promoter dragged him all over Hong Kong and still had no guarantee that he would get into Taiwan, he finally flipped out and just left. So now we had to go to Taiwan anyway to fly home.

Pivotal Rage: That sounds like a nightmare. MSG issued a 25th anniversary album called "Tales of Rock 'n' Roll", but Pete and you not are credited as playing on it. Instead it's Pete Way, who I though Schenker had a falling out with and Jeff Martin. Did you or Holmes play on anything on that record? If not, why? That seems very odd to me.

Rev Jones: That is because he recorded the music in 2001 the same time we recorded MSG "Be Aware of Scorpions" and the same time they did the PLOT album. For some reason he thought he would save money by taking this instrumental album that he never released and turning it into a MSG album. But cutting and pasting a bunch of parts together is not how to make a great album and that is why it is not a great album. Aside from the singing, the songs are very boring. Plus he spent so much more money then he would have starting from scratch, because who ever did all the editing was an idiot, and Rick Plester had a nightmare time trying fix all the mistakes in the mix, so Schenker would have been better off writing and recording a new one instead of trying to polish a turd. Pete and I actually recorded a drum-and-bass instrumental for the album, Schenker wanted it to break up the pattern a little bit, add something new. But after we recorded it he got mad at us because he canceled a tour, so he pulled it off the album.

ELVIS
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
What an idiot...

Last_Child
01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Douchebag..

bueno bob
01-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Mike's been a worthless pile of dog shit for years. Only fucking thing he cares about is booze...he's Eddie Van Halen to the 10th degree...

Guy is so dysfunctional, I'm amazed anybody will even bother playing with him these days...

And that sort of behavior has been going on for years now...

bueno bob
01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
From Mike's site...what a fucking turd this guy is...

Re: Did you read Rev's quote?

I am not reading other's quotes.
Negative e-mails get immediately deleted.
As soon as I see a negative word the e-mail gets thrown out.
Gossip, Stories and Opinions are not my Music.
Let the Music and the Happy Fans do the talking.

Michael

Don't read Araki's site.
It's a fraud.
I have plenty of e-mails from Bangkok fans telling
me how much they enjoyed the Show.
Let the Music and the happy fans do the talking
and not some con man who hides behind
"I Love Michael Schenker."
He needs attention and with my name he gets it.
Gossip is an adiction.

All the best
Michael

MSG back at Fujiyama!

After a six year absence, Japan again was "Ready To Rock!"

All shows were sold out and the venues were packed.

The air was filled with Rock 'n´ Roll and the crowed roared like the devil himself.

Wherever Michael and his Band got in action with the audience it became a great success.

Michaels playing was sharp and exact during all shows.

MSG presented themselves as a great union and the crowd gave applause wherever it was possible.

On November 17th, (2nd show in Tokyo) Michaels suffered from health conditions, so poor, so he had to leave stage.
He felt he had to do so because he couldn´t give the audience what they prefer:
Sharp playing right out of Michael's heart.

All members of MSG, including Michael were very sad about this situation, so they promised to come back to Japan in February 2007 (including an extra show in Tokyo for all ticket owners of Nov. 17th) to say “Thank You” to all the understanding fans!

So stay tuned. We´ll be back soon!!!!!!

Also other gigs in Asia have been planned for 2007.
NOT CONFIRMED YET
MSG knows about the great friendship to these fans!!!!

Thank you so much!!!! MSG only make sense, because you believe in us!

That makes us strong and proud!

Now, MSG is still in Bangkok and the people are giving them a warm reception.

So, “Let It Roll!!!!!!”

-----------------------------

That tour was such a well-documented disaster from EVERY angle...proven....I don't know who he thinks he's fooling with that shit...

Himself, apparently...

ELVIS
01-12-2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.bestrock.cz/include_images/m/michael_schenker_group/foto/msg_01.jpg

:elvis:

bueno bob
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Sammy Hagar and Michael Schenker should form a band.

First album could be titled "Dreamworld"...

Last_Child
01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
http://www.bestrock.cz/include_images/m/michael_schenker_group/foto/msg_01.jpg

:elvis:

Under what rock did they find him?

Diamondjimi
01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
What a fucking shame. Quite pathetic really. To watch my #2 guitar hero flush a legacy down the shitter is disappointing. (see EVH). I met Schenker in '93. He was off the booze for a spell at the time and he hung out with me and my girlfriend for an hour and a half and invited us to watch his soundcheck. A great guy and a true gentleman.
To watch him disintigrate is sad.

Hardrock69
01-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I feel fortunate to have seen him play and met him for all of about a minute after the show.

He is one of my major influences guitar-wise.

REGARDLESS of WHY, it is truly fucked that his career has been so fucked up.

I was SERIOUSLY looking forward to the Fall tour....and of course it got shitcanned.

It sucks that he likes to be a drunk motherfucker.
Notice he does not deny it at all. He just says 'negative emails will be deleted'.

We must assume this also means negative emails from people in the industry who are pissed because he is a fucked up businessman, and unreliable. If a promoter books him on a series of shows, it is like trying to book Axle Grease and His Cast of Paid Hack Idiots. Fucker might not show, and promoters be out shitloads of money as a result.

So I wonder if he gets emails from lawyers telling him he is being sued by promoters for fucking up tours and then deletes them? Or emails from disappointed fans....does he automatically delete them?

If someone he loves emails and tells him he is fucking up his life.....does he delete that too???
:rolleyes:

And aside from 'business', what musician would want to be in a band with a drunk fuckup like that? Not only would you have to deal with bullshit you shouldn't have to, but you get to see firsthand how an incredible talent fucks himself in the ass with a bottle of fucking vodka, as well as everyone around him!!

We all know spEd was a fucking drunk loser on the 2004 tour. When they stopped in Wichita, Kansas, (for example) he was so fucking drunk that he could not unbluckle his own seatbelt when the van arrived at the venue from the hotel!

And people wonder why I talk so much smack about him.

Pisses me off. How many of you wished you could achieve HALF his success? And he just fucks it all up. Throws it all away....same thing with Schenker.

And so now I am getting fairly pissed at Mikey. FUCK THAT MOTHERFUCKER!
:mad:

He is a great talent, and he could play with ANYONE, if he weren't fucking his life up.

But noooooo.....he cares more about getting drunk than he does about playing guitar.

I have no respect for him anymore. I could normally respect his musical ability, and keep that respect seperate from his personality.

But he obviously just wants to fuck himself up, and as a result fuck up the fans too.

Fuck him.

:mad:

ppg960
01-12-2007, 10:48 PM
He's a great player. I think he was 16 when he played on the first Scorpions album. Then went on tour!!
His older brother can't stand him and his BS either.
Such a waste of talent. I've heard and read he has fallen on hard times again.

Diamondjimi
01-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by ppg960

Such a waste of talent. I've heard and read he has fallen on hard times again.

It's true. He auctioned off his original trademark Gibson v's a couple of years ago.
I wonder how long before Dean Zelinsky(Owner of Dean Guitars) kicks Schenkers ass to the curb?

ppg960
01-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Why did he do that??
Needed the money?
It's sad when a disease like that takes over your life.

Diamondjimi
02-08-2007, 01:31 AM
What ever happened to this guy?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KEBmLNgNAws"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KEBmLNgNAws" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
02-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Such a shame, cos he used to play like no-one on earth.

I was listening to "Obsession" by UFO yesterday and his playing is just packed with energy...

Diamondjimi
02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Such a shame, cos he used to play like no-one on earth.

I was listening to "Obsession" by UFO yesterday and his playing is just packed with energy...

Obsession one of rocks greatest. Front to back a solid album.

They don't make 'em like that no more......

ppg960
02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow, great find!
That player no longer exists.
Wonder what the Scorpions would have been like if he would have stayed??

Diamondjimi
02-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Wow, great find!
That player no longer exists.
Wonder what the Scorpions would have been like if he would have stayed??

Better ;)

binnie
02-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Better ;)

My thoughts exactly.

I dig the Scorpions late 70s, early 80s work, but some of Schenk's screaching solos would have made those records even stronger...

ppg960
02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I tend to agree.
I also like Mattias Jabs as well. It's hard to say??

Diamondjimi
02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I tend to agree.
I also like Mattias Jabs as well. It's hard to say??

Mattias is a smokin player but Michael's playing is less sterile than Jabs, IMO......

ThrillsNSpills
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Yo Jimi...
Thanks for the video clip .
much obliged.

Don't discount how good Uli Roth's playing was with Scorps. It seems like he was a big influence on Michael's soloing.
And it seemed like Michael influenced Matthias Jabs.

And Sails of Charon influenced Yngwie. Ballsy half-step progression heaven bay-behhhh:hitch:

And yes to Obsession as well.
Pack it up and Go.
Ow.

ppg960
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
The Album Taken By Force is one of my all time favs.
Their double Live Tokoyo Tapes is great as well. One of the best live albums of all time.

Diamondjimi
02-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Their double Live Tokoyo Tapes is great as well. One of the best live albums of all time.

One of all time favs. too. Uli Roth is fuckin incredible. I wish he'd never left......