PDA

View Full Version : that 7th string

Steve Savicki
01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
James "munky" Shaffer from Korn is the only one I've heard of to bring up 7 string guitars. I also recall someone prefering 5 string to 6 string guitars.

Any advantage to that extra 7th string?

Are 5 stringers at a disadvantage?

Big Fat Sammy
01-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Everyone I've ever seen playing a 7-string (besides Vai) only play the same two strings on the guitar. :)

Keith Richards plays 5 string in an open tuning...so you can play a chord with one finger, and you can make it through the show even after getting fucked up. :D

Eyes of the Night
01-12-2007, 05:34 PM
That's funny shit from Richards! ... didn't know that as well ...

I mean I play nothing but dropped D and have always wanted to at least play a 7 string because yes of Korn ...

I can at least hear some Grunge in the 7 string that I can use in my arsenal of techniques ...

Steve Savicki
01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Eyes, so korn influenced you?
Was it Munky in particular?

sammysucks65
01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
The Deftones. They have two seven string axemen. They are pretty good.

Eyes of the Night
01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Wella, Monkey was the man ... saw them up front and personal in the moshpits here in Washington state ...

I can say Korn hasn't really influenced me at all ... just dug their first 2 albums that's it ...

Crossfade on the other hand ... king's of the 7 string!

Eyes of the Night
01-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Deftones have a few gems in my opinion ... defenitly noteworthy in my book ... good call

Steve Savicki
01-13-2007, 10:05 PM
How long do these Deftones go back?
Heard of them, but don't own any of their music.

sammysucks65
01-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Deftones are some modern metal vets man. They have been in the music biz for like 10 years i think guitar world said that. Since the mid 90s. I wanna say 95. I own three of their albums

sammysucks65
01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
their cover of simple man on their B sides and rarities cd is good.

Panamark
01-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Imagine having a seventh high string, instead of a seventh bass string. Insane high notes on those solos :D Im thinking there
could be some tensioning probs with this theory though....

Nitro Express
01-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Going a little lower on the register isn't worth making the neck wider for me. I use a D-Tuna and you can go from E to D and back to E pretty fast with it. I use it all the time.

I don't think I could play as fast or well with a big fat neck. My Music Man Axis neck fits me perfect, I just couldn't mess that feel up going to some 7 string format.

Steve Savicki
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Mark, are you going to try a 7th string high?

Panamark
01-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Mark, are you going to try a 7th string high?

Hi Steve, probably not, but it could be interesting.
Imagine hitting some of those high notes around
the 17th fret, on the 5th, then going even higher.
Could be a new sound :p

I just cant imagine how you would tune it up to "A"
for standard tuning. Surely the string would snap or
be too tight...

rustoffa
01-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by sammysucks65
Deftones are some modern metal vets man.

They were on the Sabbath reunion Ozzfest lineup. Pretty impressive display cuntsidering they had to follow Slayer. The one dude was playing a humbucking tele or some shit. People were puking right in front of us, pretty loud. No sevenanda at that show though.

Nitro Express
01-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Buy a 7 string and wear a halloween costume and you are Limp Biscuit man. LOL! None of my guitar idols played one of those things as a main axe.

Steve Savicki
01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Does Vai's technique on a 7-string the same as Munky's?

Big Fat Sammy
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Does Vai's technique on a 7-string the same as Munky's?

No. :D

Steve Savicki
01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
BFS,

I take it you are a Vai fan... what did Steve perform on his 7-string?

Mark,

Someone's got to invent a new sound sometime... today's music is just so mundane.

DeadOrAlive
01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
The John Petrucci (spelling?) from Dream Theater used a seven string guitar. Check out their song "Caught in a Web." From the beginning you hear the action of a seven string.

Big Fat Sammy
01-20-2007, 10:03 PM
BFS,

Mark,

Someone's got to invent a new sound sometime... today's music is just so mundane.

Not really, I like him on the Dave stuff mostly...so I cant remember the actual titles of the stuff I've seen him play 7 on. :)

theicecreamman
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
BFS,

Songs from Passion and Warfare: For the Love Of God- 2nd guitar playing the arpeggios. I Would Love To and others from the album. He Uses it in Get the Hell out of Hear.

jhale667
01-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Imagine having a seventh high string, instead of a seventh bass string. Insane high notes on those solos :D Im thinking there
could be some tensioning probs with this theory though....

George Lynch did that in the mid-nineties. Never really went anywhere...again, must stuff past the 24th fret sounds like cats fighting to normal humans...:p

I like 7-string guitars, they're fun to play after the few minutes it takes for your fretting hand to adapt. If you know your theory, soloing and chording isn't a big deal either...after all, it's just a low 'B', or whatever..I've just never got around to buying/building one....