PDA

View Full Version : Lawmaker Under Fire for Slavery Comment

Matt White
01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/lawmaker-under-fire-for-slavery-comment/20070117103209990001

Not the smartest political statement.....perhaps

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/08/04/20070117061709990001Virginia state Del. Frank Hargrove

By BOB LEWIS
AP
RICHMOND, Va. (Jan. 16) - A state legislator said black people "should get over" slavery and questioned whether Jews should apologize "for killing Christ," drawing denunciations Tuesday from stunned colleagues.
Del. Frank D. Hargrove, 79, made his remarks in opposition to a measure that would apologize on the state's behalf to the descendants of slaves.

In an interview published Tuesday in The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, Hargrove said slavery ended nearly 140 years ago with the Civil War and added that "our black citizens should get over it."

The newspaper also quoted him as saying, "are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"
Black lawmakers swiftly denounced Hargrove's comments.

"When somebody tells me I should just get over slavery, I can only express my emotion by projecting that I am appalled, absolutely appalled," said Del. Dwight C. Jones, head of the Legislative Black Caucus.

Del. David L. Englin also criticized Hargrove's remarks, recalling that his grandparents were driven from their homes in Poland "by people who believed that as Jews, we killed Christ."

When Hargrove rose to speak, he told Englin he didn't care about Englin's religion. "I think your skin was a little too thin," Hargrove said as lawmakers gasped and groaned.

I wonder if BILL COSBY writes his material?!?:confused:

How would you describe the comments?
A not-so-big deal 68%
A big deal 32%
Total Votes: 22,314

Hardrock69
01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Why is this idiot 'apalled'?

Slavery was a bad thing, yes, but that was a fucking hundred and fifty years ago.

They DO need to get over it!

THIS IS 2007! NOT 1863!
:rolleyes:

Guitar Shark
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I know it's politically incorrect to admit this, but I actually agree with his comments.

Coyote
01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
The man has a point... And fuck Political Correctness!

knuckleboner
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I know it's politically incorrect to admit this, but I actually agree with his comments.

it's all how you phrase things in politics. the same sentiment could've been expressed far differently (and more effectively.)

the concept of, "we cannot let a horrible, immoral deed this country committed 150 years ago directly affect every action we take today," is ok, if it's coupled with a, "but we must always remember our poor history, so that we can avoid repeating those horrific mistakes of the past."

i don't usually like political correctness, either, but if del. hargrove had a point he was trying to make, it's definitely been lost due to how he tried to make it...

Guitar Shark
01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
True, his delivery was abysmal.

Little Texan
01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
The black descendents of the slaves a.k.a. the current day blacks have never dealt with slavery issues, so why are they so offended by the comment this man made, and why the fuck do we owe THEM an apology when the modern day white folks had nothing to do with slavery? People are so thin skinned and easily offended these days it's pathetic. The man spoke the truth, but because of the pc police, he can't speak his mind and make a point without being ridiculed for his comments. Truth hurts, I guess! I think he made an excellent point, being that blacks need to stop dwelling on what happened in the past, put that behind them, start looking toward the future and move on with their lives. Sure, slavery was a barbaric practice, and it was wrong, but what the fuck do modern whites have to do with what happened to their ancestors? Nothing, so we don't owe them a goddamn, motherfucking thing!

FORD
01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
All the same, you can bet this Hargrove guy buys his weekend clothing at the WalMart "white sales"....

Nitro Express
01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I think they should get over Hardgrove. The dude is 79 and face it, that generation had a different view on the world than what is politically correct now.

If people would get past their emotional response and analyze what the guy was really saying, he's saying it's time to move on. He's not saying lets keep those damn N*gg*rs down and kill the Jews.

He was saying lets go on and leave the bullshit of the past in the past.

He might have not said it in the most intelligent way but jumping all over the guy and pouring gasoline on the situation does no good for anybody.

It's not like the guy was wearing a KKK robe or a Nazi uniform.

FORD
01-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

It's not like the guy was wearing a KKK robe or a Nazi uniform.

As I said, only on the weekends.....

Nitro Express
01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Certain black people will continue to go nowhere because they play the victim card. Well, the world is changing and in Los Angeles, the people running things is increasingly becoming hispanics and asians. The black people continue to blame the white man for their problems but the hispanics and asians are thriving when the black people go nowhere and continue to play the same crying game.

Now this isn't all black people but I think Bill Cosby and Oprah Winfrey would agree with me because they have said similar things.

Nitro Express
01-17-2007, 04:14 PM
The world isn't fair people, so get over it.

Guitar Shark
01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by FORD
As I said, only on the weekends.....

Insert BigBadBrian's "Byrd KKK" post here ;)

Nickdfresh
01-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Yeah, I think the fucking Jews should apologize for murdering our savior too! (sarcasm)

DLR'sCock
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok, I will draw a refernce from my own heritage.

I am of Irish descent and I can say that I got over the 750 years that the Brits pretty much fucking ruled over the Emerald Isle and certainly shared in their responsibility(although I am not implying a deliberate intention, which has been debated) of the million+ or so deaths within 3 years from the Great Famine.

I personally have been over it, and I would say that in general most people should get over the past and move forward, but of course you should know your past and recoginize it as well.

In general humans should get over alot of shit, but they never do.

Hardrock69
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Yeah, I think the fucking Jews should apologize for murdering our savior too! (sarcasm)

LOL...I doubt The Romans are going to apologize anytime soon....even though they are the responsible party.....

sadaist
01-18-2007, 12:10 AM

Ditto

Nitro Express
01-18-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm personally over having my Norske ancestors beating the shit out of other people and worshipping Thor and Thul. I'm personally over them laying siege to other communities, raping and pilaging, and discovering the American continent before Columbus did.

Now pass the pickled sheeps head and the Brennavin!

ELVIS
01-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by FORD
All the same, you can bet this Hargrove guy buys his weekend clothing at the WalMart "white sales"....

Now, that was racist...

BigBadBrian
01-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Insert BigBadBrian's "Byrd KKK" post here ;)

You're the one that brought it up...must have been thinking of it, huh?

;)

bueno bob
01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Every race, creed, and color of mankind has been enslaved at some point in the history of the world by someone else.

No race has a corner on the slavery market.

Hardrock69
01-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Some people just have to have an excuse to start shit, that's all.....

"Oh my ancestors 150 years ago had it so bad...I want an apology for eveything that happened to THEM, even though I was never a slave,, and never suffered like they did...and nobody alive today treated me like that but I want an apology from them anway...."

What a stupid bunch of fucking bullshit!

HEY....I WANT AN APOLOGY FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ANCESTORS 1,000 FUCKING YEARS AGO!!!

What if someone of British descent (like yours truly) decided to get angry at black people because of what happened to white folks during the Zulu Wars in the 1800s, huh?