PDA

View Full Version : Maliki Calls Out Bush & Condi

LoungeMachine
01-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Maliki Takes on Bush and Condi

Thursday, Jan. 18, 2007 By CHARLES CRAIN/BAGHDAD

TIME

In Washington's caricature, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki is either incompetent or a front-man for more powerful and more dangerous Shiite leaders — in either case increasingly irrelevant. But if Maliki is going down he seems prepared to go down swinging. On Wednesday he said Iraq needed more weapons, not more advice, from the Bush administration. "I can strongly say that we could have been in a better situation right now regarding the equipment we have and the weapons we have," Maliki said through a translator in an interview with six reporters from Western media, including TIME. "And if that would have happened it would have greatly decreased the level of our losses and the losses of the Multi-National Forces as well."

American paratroopers are already pouring into the Iraqi capital as part of President Bush's troop surge. Maliki said those troops could soon leave if the U.S. provided the Iraqi security forces with more weapons and equipment. "If we succeed in implementing the agreement between us to speed up the equipping and providing weapons to our military forces," he said, "I think that within three to six months our need for the American troops will dramatically go down."

Maliki is sad-eyed and serious, and his light beard and thinning hair don't contribute to an air of vigor. Late last year he said he wished he'd never taken the top post in Iraq's government — and that was before criticism from Washington reached a crescendo after the unruly sectarian debacle of Saddam Hussein's execution. But he seemed in good spirits and was occasionally forceful Wednesday afternoon as he sat at the head of a long conference table and fielded reporters' questions. He replied in kind to the slightly condescending commentary on him and his government coming from the White House and the State Department.

Maliki — taking a page from President Bush's political playbook — said that by wavering in its support for the Iraqi government, the Administration was emboldening terrorists. Insurgents might take such comments as a sign "that they have defeated the American Administration," Maliki said. "But I can tell you that they have not defeated the Iraqi government." Responding to Bush's comment that the Saddam execution showed that his government "has still got some maturation to do," Maliki spared a moment to sympathize with his American counterpart. "I know President Bush, and I know him as a strong person that does not get affected by the media pressure," Maliki said through a translator. "But it seems that the pressure has gotten to [such] a great extent that [it] led to the president giving this statement."

The prime minister offered similar back-handed sympathy when asked about Condoleezza Rice's intimation that time is running out for Maliki to save his government. "I don't think that we're on borrowed time," he said. "I might be able to say that the Iraqi government is better able to continue working than some other governments." But while Maliki didn't shy away from rhetorical combat with Washington he was less forthcoming about the possibility of actual combat with Iraq's Shi'ite militias. He distanced himself from Moqtada al-Sadr and pointed to arrests and clashes with the Mahdi Army militia. [However, his claim during that the interview that 400 Mahdi Army fighters had been detained was denied by a Sadr spokesman later.] But he was careful to frame criticism of armed groups in general terms and over a wide geographical area — without singling out Sadr.

He did not, though, take the opportunity to dismiss the possibility of large-scale military action against the militias. Instead he seemed to warn that the time for politics might be coming to an end. "When military operations start in Baghdad, all other tracks will stop," he said. "The political tracks will stop, and it will be only the military track against the militias and people who break the law." In the murky world of Iraqi politics it is impossible to know if this signals a battle to come, or is yet another move in a political chess game. Maliki is a canny politician, and he may be playing the game better than Washington suspects.

LoungeMachine
01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Maliki — taking a page from President Bush's political playbook — said that by wavering in its support for the Iraqi government, the Administration was emboldening terrorists. Insurgents might take such comments as a sign "that they have defeated the American Administration," Maliki said. "But I can tell you that they have not defeated the Iraqi government." .

:eek:

LoungeMachine
01-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Join Salon.com

Iran Envoy: Iraq to Free Captured Iranians

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA Associated Press Writer

January 18,2007 | BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Iran's ambassador said Thursday that Iraq's foreign minister promised him that Iranians captured by U.S. troops in north of the country last week will be freed "within days," adding that their detention was an insult to the Iraqi government and people.

It was the first public comment by an Iranian diplomat in Baghdad about last week's U.S. raid on a liaison office in the northern city of Irbil and the capture of six Iranians.

One of the six was released and U.S. officials said the five still in custody were linked to an Iranian Revolutionary Guard faction that funds and arms insurgents and militias in Iraq.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari was not available for comment, his office said.

Tehran denied the five detained Iranians had been involved in financing and arming insurgents in Iraq.

"The capture of Iranian diplomats is an insult to the Iraqi government and people," ambassador Hassan Kazimi Qomi said in a news conference at the Iranian embassy in Baghdad. Iraqi "Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told me that they will be released within days."

Asked why he believed the Americans carried the raid, Qomi said through a translator from Farsi to Arabic that "they want to destabilize relations between Iraq and Iran."

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said on Sunday that the Iranian representative office where the five men worked was established in Irbil in 1992 to facilitate the visit of Kurdish businessmen and medical patients from Iraq to Iran.

Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh told reporters Thursday that the "Iraq government is exerting efforts for their release. They are not diplomats and we ask everyone to respect Iraq's sovereignty."

Rear Adm. Mark Fox, acting spokesman for U.S. military in Iraq, reiterated U.S. claims on Wednesday that the Iranians "were connected with networks that were smuggling weapons into Iraq, attempting to undermine the stability of the government of Iraq, and ultimately targeting coalition forces."

"The sovereignty issue for the government of Iraq is one that means that neighbors don't interfere or meddle inside their neighbors' borders," he said. "And we have always felt that it has not been a useful thing for Iranian influence to be active inside the government -- inside the borders of Iraq."

Two days after the raid, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said President Bush approved the strategy of raiding Iranian targets in Iraq as part of a broad effort to confront Tehran.

LoungeMachine
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
So...

WE Capture.....

THEY Release.....

Guitar Shark
01-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Isn't it fun to watch Lounge converse with himself? :)

hideyoursheep
01-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
So...
WE Capture.....
THEY Release.....

*cast*.......*hook*-*reel*

Oooh......That's a nice one!

That joke of a govt. in Iraq is in no position to make waves with their long-time enemy.That's an ass-kissing.But there is some dissent in Iran as well-not everyone loves President Alphabet(what's his name).Just from intel(?) I get from the net from Iranians(mostly immigrants to other countries)the mullahs are falling out of favor.
Like I was saying,I wouldn't sweat Iran too much right now.Should be interesting.......