PDA

View Full Version : Woman dies as result of radio show water drinking contest

Little Texan
01-18-2007, 08:06 PM
This is truly fucked up! What a shitty way to go...from drinking too much water trying to win a crappy game console! Will this be a nominee for a Darwin award?

Sheriff Looks Into Water-Drinking Death
Calif. Sheriff Investigates Water-Drinking Death of Radio Station Contestant
By JULIET WILLIAMS
The Associated Press
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - As participants in KDND-FM's water-drinking contest chugged bottle after bottle, a listener called in to warn the disc jockeys that the stunt could be fatal.

"Yeah, we're aware of that," one of them responded.

Another DJ said with a laugh: "Yeah, they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK."

Those comments, and others made during the Jan. 12 "Morning Rave" radio show, appeared to give little regard to the risk of water intoxication. But just hours after the contest, a woman who guzzled nearly two gallons was dead.

On Wednesday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department launched a criminal investigation into the incident, and attorneys for the family of Jennifer Lea Strange said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the radio station.

The county coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicate Strange, a 28-year-old mother of three, died of water intoxication.

Authorities decided to pursue the investigation after listening to a tape of the show, obtained by The Sacramento Bee, during which DJs joked about the possible dangers of consuming too much water, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said. At one point, the DJs even alluded to a college student who died during a similar stunt in 2005.

Strange was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by determining how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom.

Several hours into the contest, Strange was interviewed on the air and complained that her head hurt.

"They keep telling me that it's the water. That it will tell my head to hurt and then it will make me puke," she said.

Eventually, Strange gave in and accepted the second-place prize: tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert. She commented that she looked pregnant, and a female DJ agreed.

"Oh, my gosh, look at that belly. That's full of water. ... Come on over, Jennifer, you OK?" a male DJ asked. "You going to pass out right now? Too much water?"

Several hours later, Strange was found dead in her home.

On Tuesday, KDND's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, fired 10 employees connected to the contest, including three morning disc jockeys. The company also took the morning show off the air.

Station spokesman Charles Sipkins said Wednesday the company had not yet heard from the sheriff's department but that it would cooperate with the investigation.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

Link (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2803239)

NightProwler
01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Natural selection works for many reasons.

THIS story appears to be one of them.

blonddgirl777
01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Holly shit!

I drink A LOT of water on a daily basis (but not all at once)...
Someone told me lately that drinking too much is like not enough... that it makes your kidney and blader work over time...

I never thought one could die of it though!

blonddgirl777
01-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
[i]... Strange gave in and accepted the second-place prize: tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert...

What a shame! :(

Little Texan
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
You learn something new everyday!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Terry
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
In all seriousness, my only regret is that she had already birthed children and passed her chucklehead genes onto others.

SparkieD
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't think that very many people are aware that there is such a phenomenon as water intoxication. I'm betting that this person didn't either. Say what you will about her, but due to these idiot disc jockey cunts, three children lost their mother. There is no goddamn humor in that! Let's hope the rest of the dumbasses involved get theirs!

Nickdfresh
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
I don't think that very many people are aware that there is such a phenomenon as water intoxication. I'm betting that this person didn't either. Say what you will about her, but due to these idiot disc jockey cunts, three children lost their mother. There is no goddamn humor in that! Let's hope the rest of the dumbasses involved get theirs!

With the internet, they fuck-well should be!

The people that took part in this contest are complete dipshits. But for anyone with 10-IQ points to have allowed for this to take place is just sickening. A minutes worth of internet research will reveal that several have died from water intoxication, mostly runners that over-hydrated themselves...

SparkieD
01-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The people that took part in this contest are complete dipshits. But for anyone with 10-IQ points to have allowed for this to take place is just sickening. A minutes worth of internet research will reveal that several have died from water intoxication, mostly runners that over-hydrated themselves...

I agree that the participants weren't very smart, but how does one decide to research water intoxication if he/she doesn't even know it exists? I remember reading about a runner several years ago dying from it and being very surprised.

And I suppose you already know everything because of the internet.

Seshmeister
01-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah I knew about this water intoxication thing already.

Fuck just about anything kills you if take enough of it.

Even vodka.:)

Usually I'm against the litigious nature of the US these days but I hope that station gets shut down.

Seshmeister
01-18-2007, 10:08 PM
I remember reading about a runner several years ago dying from it and being very surprised.

I'm sure he was.:)

SparkieD
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I'm sure he was.:)

:)You got mehttp://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/realhappy/xxrotflmao.gif

Nickdfresh
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree that the participants weren't very smart, but how does one decide to research water intoxication if he/she doesn't even know it exists? I remember reading about a runner several years ago dying from it and being very surprised.

And I suppose you already know everything because of the internet.

Well, these are typical 'radio guy' douche bags I'm talking about, not the contestants.

The 'radio guy' dickheads are usually uneducated fuckwits that are only trained how to make a cart, or the new digital equivalent. But, if you're going to have such a contest, I think it's wise to do a little research on the possible outcomes. And I think one does research in an effort to learn about what he doesn't know exists.

And I fucking know how to use Google to find stuff I need to get through life. I didn't realize it was such a mystery...

Nitro Express
01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
At the last radio sponsored contest I went to this fat kid by the name of Lardass blew blueberry puke all over the audience from eating too many pies.

Little Texan
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Hell, a woman that was a nurse called in and told them that drinking too much water was dangerous, and one of the DJ's brought up the fact that he knew of a case of someone dying from drinking too much water, yet they still carried on with the contest, cracking their jokes about dying from drinking water like a bunch of jackasses, oblivious the danger this woman and the other contestants were in. Total lack of regard for this woman's health and for her life in general...it was all just a big joke to these dickheads. Expect that woman's family to get a seven or eight figure settlement out of this, as they should.

Matt White
01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
A sad story......

Complete fucking Morons...all involved

The body is what % water?

In men about 72% of the body mass is water. This value is about 68% in women due to a higher proportion of body fat. This is the total body water.

2 gallons of ANYTHING isn't healthy.....

Little Texan
01-18-2007, 11:19 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

2:16 p.m. January 15, 2007

SACRAMENTO – Two people who competed in a radio station's water drinking contest with a 28-year-old mother of three who later died said they were never warned they were putting their health at risk, a newspaper reported Monday.
Gina Sherrod said that family members listening in on KDND-FM's “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest told her that a nurse called into the program to warn that drinking too much water was dangerous, but that she did not worry until she learned of Jennifer Lea Strange's death.

“I was so scared,” Sherrod told The Sacramento Bee on Sunday. “I had the hardest time going to sleep last night because I was afraid I wouldn't get up.”
Strange was one of about 18 participants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console early Friday by seeing how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom. She was found dead several hours later, and the Sacramento County coroner said she died of water intoxication.

During the contest, participants were given two minutes to drink an 8-ounce bottle of water and then given another bottle to drink after a 10-minute break.

Fellow contestant James Ybarra said he quit drinking after imbibing eight bottles, but Stange, who placed second, and others kept going even after they were handed even larger containers.

Strange showed other participants photographs of her two sons and daughter, for whom she was hoping to win the Nintendo Wii, Ybarra said.

“It is sad that a mother had to lose her life to get something for her kids,” he told The Bee. “None of us knew this could be a risk to our health.”

Contestants qualified for the event by recounting the worst Christmas gifts they'd received. Strange said her worst gift was a set of champagne flutes wrapped like roses that shattered when she opened them, according to Sherrod.

Strange also mentioned that she and friends had sixth-row tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert that night.

Sherrod said she managed to drink half of a larger bottle before she became nauseated and had to leave.

“I felt drunk and really out of it,” she said.

Strange's mother found her daughter's body at home Friday in the Sacramento suburb of Rancho Cordova after Strange called her supervisor at her job to say she was heading home in terrible pain.

Strange's husband, William Strange, 27, issued a written statement late Sunday in which he described his wife's giving nature.

“Friday, Jennifer was just her bright, usual self,” he wrote. “She was trying to win something for her family that she thought we would enjoy. ... We miss her dearly. She was my girl.”

John Geary, general manager of the company that owns KDND, told the newspaper in an e-mail that the station's staff was stunned by news of Strange's death.

“We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred. Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Jennifer Strange, as they deal with circumstances that are so difficult to comprehend.”

Link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20070115-1416-ca-waterintoxication.html)

SparkieD
01-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Expect that woman's family to get a seven or eight figure settlement out of this, as they should.

Seven or eight figures won't ease the pain those kids must be feeling now.

Little Texan
01-18-2007, 11:34 PM
One more article to provide a little more insight.

Sheriff orders probe of radio contest death
By Christina Jewett - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:34 am PST Thursday, January 18, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (57)

Jennifer Lea Strange and her husband, William, are pictured with their children: Keegan Sims, 10, Ryland Strange, 3, and Jorie Strange, 11 months. Jennifer Strange died Friday after a water-drinking contest.
William Strange

Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness assigned two homicide detectives Wednesday to investigate the apparent water-intoxication death of a Rancho Cordova woman who competed in a radio-station stunt to win a Nintendo gaming console.

Sheriff's officials declined to probe the death for several days, but McGinness said he was spurred to call for a full investigation after reading excerpts of the on-air water-drinking contest, which have been posted on The Bee's Web site.

"It's the right thing to do," McGinness said. "When I hear myself say there's no criminality here, it sounds as though it's minimizing or not giving due import to the loss of life that occurred as a result of this.

"So I want to be sure we don't leave any question unresolved."

Jennifer Lea Strange, 28, died Friday afternoon, hours after drinking nearly two gallons of water during a contest dubbed "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" at the offices of The End (KDND 107.9 FM).

McGinness stressed that a final cause of death for Strange has not been determined -- the coroner's office said the death is "consistent with" water intoxication. And many facts remain to be uncovered, McGinness said.

"Evidence of criminality is a high standard," he said. "Just because we're attempting to resolve some issues here should not suggest a criminal prosecution is forthcoming."

Entercom Sacramento spokesman Charles Sipkins, representing KDND, said station staff will work with sheriff's officials.

"While we have not heard from the sheriff's office, the company will of course cooperate with their investigation," Sipkins said.

Five days after the death, radio station executives fired the five on-air personalities -- who go by Trish, Maney, Lukas, Carter and Fester -- and five other staff members who worked on the "Morning Rave" show.

Wednesday morning, the time slot that had been filled by the "Morning Rave" was taken by a disc jockey known as Chris K, who usually works the afternoon shift.

"We're actively engaged in putting something together for that time slot," Sipkins said. "We'll be rebuilding the team at all levels, and we're committed to staying with the same format."

Efforts to reach the fired employees were unsuccessful Wednesday.

As the investigation ramps up, McGinness said detectives will explore whether charges are merited for involuntary manslaughter due to failure to render aid.

To prove involuntary manslaughter, California jury instructions say there must be evidence of a death in the course of actions that involve a high degree of risk of death -- or harm -- without due caution, according to legal texts.

The elements of a crime seem to be in place, said Sacramento attorney Kathy Druliner, who was previously a prosecutor.

"If I was a prosecutor I would file that in a New York second," she said. "Those (disc jockeys) need to be held accountable."

A spokeswoman for District Attorney Jan Scully said the office will review the results of the investigation and file criminal charges if applicable.

Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said there was public outcry over the department's initial decision not to investigate Strange's death.

But, he said, the pressure did not spur the sheriff to seek charges. Instead, the audio recording changed the landscape.

Discussion during the Friday morning show indicates that disc jockeys were aware of the dangers of water intoxication.

"Can't you get water poisoning and, like, die?" a female disc jockey asked 16 minutes into the show.

Later in the broadcast, Judith Linder, a nurse practitioner, and co-worker Eva Brooks called KDND warning of the dangers of the contest. Disc jockeys rebuffed Brooks, saying the contestants would throw up before they die.

However, it is unclear how much of the talk of water-drinking danger reached the ears of the contest participants.

McGinness said the contestant's knowledge of her own risk -- as well as the radio staff's intent and mindset -- will be taken into account in the probe.

"Was this simply a sophomoric prank that went too far and should be resolved in the civil arena?" he asked.

McGinness also said detectives will be asking for the waiver that contestants signed.

Several competitors interviewed by The Bee said they did not read it, but contestant Gina Sherrod said she did. It dealt solely with publicity, not health and safety, she said.

Sherrod and other contestants have spoken out since the contest, describing it and the impression Strange made on them as a confident woman and loving mother.

Sherrod said Strange showed other competitors photos of her three children and said she was hoping to win the gaming console for them.

Competitor Jennifer Winsor said she saw Strange drink eight bottles of water, each containing eight fluid ounces, then an additional 10 16-ounce bottles before the contest was over, a total of 224 ounces. Strange came in second and was rewarded with tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert she already planned to attend.

Four hours into the taping, Strange spoke on air, her speech slow and slurred.

She and contestant Elidia Campos sat, sickened, in the station's lobby for about 10 minutes after the show. Within hours, Strange's mother found her dead in her Rancho Cordova home.

Link (http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/109690.html)

Little Texan
01-18-2007, 11:36 PM

Very true...sad deal.

Seshmeister
01-18-2007, 11:45 PM

May actually fuck them up more...

Matt White
01-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Fucking horrible...

I heard the tape of the conversation between the DJS & The nurse who called in....

Those fuckers should BURN...............

Satan
01-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Oh, they will burn. That's a promise.

FORD
01-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Several years ago when I was doing evil godless telemarketing for a living, I had a 32 ounce bottle of water and a 32 ounce cup of coffee in front of me at all times.

The coffee was to keep my brain awake, the water was to keep my vocal cords lubricated as I was talking constantly.

Now I can't say I was drinking huge amounts of water all at once, but I was definitely drinking water (and coffee) all day long, over an 8 hour shift.

If this woman was drinking an 8 ounce bottle of water every 15 minutes, I probably equalled that at least, though it wasn't gulping down the whole bottle at once, but a couple drinks between calls - which were on an autodialer, so you didn't have a choice as to when the next one came at you.

As far as bathroom breaks go, I certainly didn't get many of them, due to the nature of the job. You could take your self off the network for only 2 minutes. Anything longer than that and you were off the clock.

I had no idea I was drinking a "toxic" amount of water back then. I just thought it was the job itself that was giving me headaches. :eek:

Seshmeister
01-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Several years ago when I was doing evil godless telemarketing for a living,

You rat bastard.

You'll burn for that!

FORD
01-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
You rat bastard.

You'll burn for that!

Yeah, I heard that every day while I was doing that job :( But at the time it was the only way I could get 8 hours a day in and still go to school.

Seshmeister
01-19-2007, 01:10 AM
God Bless America

Nitro Express
01-19-2007, 02:58 AM
If she did two gallons of beer through a beer bong at a frat hazing party she probably would have lived. Beware of water people! It's dangerouse shit!

DLRdelight!
01-19-2007, 03:06 AM
yeah i just read about this also and it is really fucked!!!!

FORD
01-19-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm still finding it hard to believe that bottled water did this. I could understand tap water, in which case it would be massive amounts of chlorine and/or fluoride, both of which are toxins. I never drink tap water either, though sometimes I wonder exactly how much the Brita pitchers filter out.

Anonymous
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Alright, there is a few questions left unanswered in the middle of all this:

She came second, and died?

Who won??? And is/she alive? How much more water did he/she drink?

Cheers! :bottle:

NightProwler
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
“I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes.”

W C Fields

Matt White
01-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by NightProwler
“I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes.”

W C Fields

"You are CORRECT SIR!!!"

Seshmeister
01-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
If she did two gallons of beer through a beer bong at a frat hazing party she probably would have lived. Beware of water people! It's dangerouse shit!

True.

I've had more than two gallons of beer (16 pints) quite a few times over the years.

Over a good few hours right enough.

FORD
01-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Alcohol actually dehydrates you though, so even beer would make you piss more than you would with water. Probably the thing that kept me going at that horrible job was that the coffee was making me piss all the water out.

Nitro Express
01-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I was a supervisor at Hewlett Packards customer support center. My division got closed down so they transfered us to CSC. I hated it. Everytime some asshole wanted to talk to a supervisor I would have to get on the phone and get yelled at.

That got old quick so I got a new job with American Express. Customer support is a burnout job, especially for the people who are on the phones all day. The skilled people quit that shit in a hurry and the people who are willing to be on the phone suck as far as being a technician.

It now is a bunch of monkeys who read technical fixes on a database and know nothing of the products.

In many ways it's the customer who has ruined service and product quality. They want a cheap price so they buy a piece of shit at Wal-Mart. When it breaks they act like a two year old so nobody with a brain wants to talk to them.

diamondsgirl
01-20-2007, 10:08 PM
asshole = anyone who would make fun of a woman who died trying to do something good for her kids...

she clearly had no idea this could kill her or she wouldn't have done it

the people who decided this ("hold your wee for wii") would be a contest should be punished, IMO

like someone else mentioned, no research went into this at all. Like others did, I looked this up online and there is PLENTY of information and warnings about drinking too much water

I don't think they tried to kill her, but they still did.

diamondsgirl
01-20-2007, 10:25 PM
oh and double mother fuck the makers of wii for pricing this shit at $450 and then not even putting enough supply out there.

Of course people are going to do fucked up shit in order to:

a) NOT have to pay $450 for a game for their kids

and

b) NOT have to still be on a waiting list 3 weeks after Christmas!!!

Ally_Kat
01-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
A minutes worth of internet research will reveal that several have died from water intoxication, mostly runners that over-hydrated themselves...

that's what the station's legal team is for.

Where are they in all of this?

diamondsgirl
01-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
that's what the station's legal team is for.

Where are they in all of this?

hopefully headed to an unemployment office come Monday

Seshmeister
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Alcohol actually dehydrates you though, so even beer would make you piss more than you would with water. Probably the thing that kept me going at that horrible job was that the coffee was making me piss all the water out.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a $2k bet that two of my pals entered into that one of them could drink 6 pints of Guiness without taking a piss. The guy that had to do it was 5'11" but only 120 lbs.

He somehow managed it because he was still dyhydrated from drinking with me the night before but 6 pints in a very skinny person is very funny. He looked like an anaconda that had eaten a pig.

The last two pints were fucking hysterical the agony he was in...:)

Happy days..

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I was a supervisor at Hewlett Packards customer support center. My division got closed down so they transfered us to CSC. I hated it. Everytime some asshole wanted to talk to a supervisor I would have to get on the phone and get yelled at.

That got old quick so I got a new job with American Express. Customer support is a burnout job, especially for the people who are on the phones all day. The skilled people quit that shit in a hurry and the people who are willing to be on the phone suck as far as being a technician.

It now is a bunch of monkeys who read technical fixes on a database and know nothing of the products.

In many ways it's the customer who has ruined service and product quality. They want a cheap price so they buy a piece of shit at Wal-Mart. When it breaks they act like a two year old so nobody with a brain wants to talk to them.

Not entirely sure why you posted this here but I agree entirely.

I've also had the misfortune to have to deal with CSC. They once quoted a customer we both had $20k for an interface to some of my software with a project timescale of 6 months to complete. I found a tech guy in a backroom at the customer site and between us we did it in 90 minutes.

All these huge IT services companies are just varying levels of fucking terrible. Thing is that a lot of IT projects especially government ones are so big that the only people that can go for them are the usual 4 or 5 IT multinationals which are just bureaucratic shitholes. The sales people that go for the contract stypically are technically illiterate and promise the earth which is then never delivered.

End of irrelevant rant.

Cheesr!

:gulp:

Mr. Vengeance
01-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Those homos, Opie and Anthony are already planning on stealing this bit......