PDA

View Full Version : Non-active members

Terry
01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe I'm off-base for even suggesting this, but as I was scrolling through the member lists, I noticed a TON of members who apparently signed up in 2003, shortly after this site came back up full-time after the long layoff, and they haven't posted anything in 3 1/2 closing in on four years now...

Why not purge them from the rolls?

Brett
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
You know Terry, people ask me why I don't do this on my site, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to do that. It's not like it takes up any real measureable space to have those accounts in there.

Seriously, what would be the benefit of deleting them?

Seshmeister
01-19-2007, 01:01 AM
We're the same. A lot of people join to read and download stuff. I think even my brother has registered at this site but I have no idea what his username is. I asked him if he had posted and he looked at me like I was mad.

A lot of people have no interest in posting but like to be passive and read the great stuff you post...;)

smaz
01-19-2007, 03:09 AM
If it's someone who's registered years ago but logged in last week, even without posting then that's dandy. Clearing the old members would reduce the size of the DB, making queries faster as there's less results to flicker through.

Steve Savicki
01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
It's what you give for what you get... time vs. membership size.

LoungeMachine
01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
On the bright side, it might "accidently" delete Savicki and Thunder.

Every Lining has a Silver Cloud

EAT MY ASSHOLE
01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
For Christs sake, Lounge, have you ever read a single post that you haven't felt the need to include in your sig????

ThrillsNSpills
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
It's what you give for what you get... time vs. membership size.

wisdum

LoungeMachine
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
For Christs sake, Lounge, have you ever read a single post that you haven't felt the need to include in your sig????

Yes.

1,416 of your's ;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I think even my brother has registered at this site but I have no idea what his username is.

That would be "Joe Thunder".

ThrillsNSpills
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Way to go for another, Asshole.

LoungeMachine
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
make that 1,417

EAT MY ASSHOLE
01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Way to go for another, Asshole.

I just want to be a "somebody"...

It's a very strange type of rejection when Joe Thunder and Jesterstar have made this dubious "Honor Roll" and you haven't...

ThrillsNSpills
01-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I just want to be a "somebody"...

It's a very strange type of rejection when Joe Thunder and Jesterstar have made this dubious "Honor Roll" and you haven't...

Bake up some of your famous Dingleberry Pie, you'll get in.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
It's a plan.

Terry
01-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
We're the same. A lot of people join to read and download stuff. I think even my brother has registered at this site but I have no idea what his username is. I asked him if he had posted and he looked at me like I was mad.

A lot of people have no interest in posting but like to be passive and read the great stuff you post...;)

Yeah, I suppose it isn't mandatory that people participate...I'm cool with that.

Terry
01-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Brett
You know Terry, people ask me why I don't do this on my site, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to do that. It's not like it takes up any real measureable space to have those accounts in there.

Seriously, what would be the benefit of deleting them?

Guess I should have made the suggestion about those who joined 4 years ago and haven't been onsite in 3 1/2 or so, as opposed to those who don't post but just like to log on and check out stuff...

I mean, if someone has been totally non-active to the point of not having even BEEN to the site for several years, MY question would be what would be the downside of deleting them?

shaggydoo
01-20-2007, 12:14 AM
In the past year I have had my hotmail email account nuked 3 or 4 times simply because I did not log in once every month or so. While it was a simple enough matter to reactivate the account, it seriously pissed me off that it was necessary to, and that any stored emails were lost each time. It does not endear hotmail to me!

I did not log in here at rotharmy.com even once between 06-20-2006 to 01-10-2007, yet my account remains intact. Quite pleased about that!

While it does seem on the face of it to make some sense to delete unused accounts, how do you determine that they will never be used again?

Panamark
01-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Terry
I mean, if someone has been totally non-active to the point of not having even BEEN to the site for several years, MY question would be what would be the downside of deleting them?

Coz your MEMBER(ship) appears a lot smaller
if you go deleting all those people !

Unless you fuck with the php a bit :p

Terry
01-20-2007, 01:35 PM
shaggydoo and Panamark raise good points...

I just think it's a shame there are so many non-active members here, many of whom may have a lot to offer, yet we are deluged with fuckwits like katy and thunder...

Terry
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Plus the stats just LOOK kinda lame at first glance:

members 22,477

staff 34

active 3,834

non-active 18,643

activity level 17.06%

Not sure exactly what constitutes non-active, but there sure is a lot of it.

rhoadsfanz5150
01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Purgem' and smile!

shaggydoo
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Terry
...I just think it's a shame there are so many non-active members here, many of whom may have a lot to offer, yet we are deluged with fuckwits like katy and thunder...

Well now there's a great idea hiding undereneath that statement, maybe we could just delete the fuckwits instead!!! Yeah let's do it :D