PDA

View Full Version : (Air Force News)F-22s set for first overseas deployment

VanHalener
01-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Hope this is not a dup...

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123038255

1/19/2007 - SAN ANTONIO (AFNEWS) -- Roughly one dozen F-22A Raptors and more than 250 pilots, mechanics, and other 27th Fighter Squadron members from Langley Air Force Base, Va. will head to Kadena Air Base, Japan, in February to fill the squadron's air and space expeditionary force requirement.

"The F22A- Raptor deployment is founded upon and is built upon a constant rotation of combat aircraft into the Japan and East-Asia pacific theater and the motives are multifaceted," said Lt. Gen. Bruce Wright, commander United States Forces Japan and 5th Air Forces. "This deployment has been planned for some time now."

General Wright added the deployment is a part of scheduled rotations in and out of the pacific and not in response to any direct threat or nation.

This marks the first overseas deployment for the Air Force's newest stealth fighter jet but not the first time the F-22 has flown in the pacific. In June 2006, F-22s participated in Exercise Northern Edge at Elemendorf Air Force Base, Alaska.

Timed just right for a troop increase, huh George?:gun:
Something up your sleeve?

Dan
01-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Maybe North korean is on his list?

VanHalener
01-24-2007, 01:52 AM
hmmmm North Korea. Short hop from Japan.

Might be a nice flight, I mean bombing run over a reactor.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdRVbr1OfKc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdRVbr1OfKc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

sadaist
01-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Cool jet. But I'll always have a soft spot for the F-14 Tomcat with the wings that move in & out as it turns & goes straight. Driving through Miramar, CA most of my life, I've seen them overhead a lot.

FORD
01-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Dan
Maybe North korean is on his list?

Nope. There's not a drop of oil there, and the Likud Zionfascists don't want the land. North Korea is not a priority for the BCE.

BITEYOASS
01-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Cool jet. But I'll always have a soft spot for the F-14 Tomcat with the wings that move in & out as it turns & goes straight. Driving through Miramar, CA most of my life, I've seen them overhead a lot.

Plus that aircraft was loud as hell and could carry a Phoenix. Although some old salts have told me that the F-4 Phantom was even louder.

BITEYOASS
01-24-2007, 10:21 AM
I laugh at what the Air Force calls a deployment. Kadena Air base?!?! More like a nice place for libo. Hell it's just like being at any MCAS or NAS. That's not a deployent, the air station I was deployed at in Iraq was practically right next to the front line, if there was any.

BITEYOASS
01-24-2007, 10:24 AM
And if there is a Navy or USMC unit on an Air Force base, then the entire E-club and O-club alcoholic beverage inventory will have to be restocked every week.

BITEYOASS
01-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Albeit the USAF Spec Ops., Transport Command and the Red Horse construction units are always close by in the action; the Fighter Wings always seem to be farther from the close air support strike zones than the ACE element of the MEF. Also, you'd figure that B-2's would make silos obselete. How dull to just sit somewhere underground waiting to press a bunch of buttons to launch a missile. Hell, they need to make a stealth Electronics-Warfare aircraft. Then you wouldn't need to worry about radar evasion since the stations would be leveled by a HARM missile.

Nitro Express
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Stealth aircraft just don't have the beautiful lines the old aircraft like the F-14. The F-14 was a good looking airplane.

But you aren't thinking looks when trying to hide something from radar.

Nitro Express
01-24-2007, 04:53 PM
My favorite planes are the delta wing ones from the 60's. What's more cool than a Hustler or the Valkerie bomber? Those planes rocked!

BigBadBrian
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
I laugh at what the Air Force calls a deployment. Kadena Air base?!?! More like a nice place for libo. Hell it's just like being at any MCAS or NAS. That's not a deployent, the air station I was deployed at in Iraq was practically right next to the front line, if there was any.

A friend of mine is in AF reserves and is going to Afghanistan in the spring. The son of another friend of mine is in the AF and got back from Iraq in Sept and is also going to Afghanistan in the spring. Not all of those guys get the cushy deployments.

BITEYOASS
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
A friend of mine is in AF reserves and is going to Afghanistan in the spring. The son of another friend of mine is in the AF and got back from Iraq in Sept and is also going to Afghanistan in the spring. Not all of those guys get the cushy deployments.

Yeah, but at least they don't have Vietnam-era equipment, I'll give em' that.

BITEYOASS
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
The USMC has choppers dating back to 1965. Had a near accident with one over in Iraq, nothing I wanna cherish.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 03:55 PM
f35s in the hizzie

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2012/07/31/20120731glendale-luke-air-force-base-f-35-announcement.html

FORD
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
f35s in the hizzie

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2012/07/31/20120731glendale-luke-air-force-base-f-35-announcement.html

Hopefully they can test their weapons accuracy on Joe Arpaio's house.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Hopefully they can test their weapons accuracy on Joe Arpaio's house.

careful, borderline bigotry/discrimination/sharing your opinion

jhale667
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I love F-4s and F-14s too, I used to dig buidling model airplanes as a kid. Did anybody else read the article the other day indicating that despite the multi-BILLION dollar cost, F-22s despite their overall superiority aren't really any much better in a traditional dogfight than any opposing air force's clunky older cheapo fighters?

FORD
08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
careful, borderline bigotry/discrimination/sharing your opinion

No, I'll openly admit to "discriminating" against a Nazi bigot who is proud of being compared to a Klansman....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57a5Bx3s38

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I love F-4s and F-14s too, I used to dig buidling model airplanes as a kid. Did anybody else read the article the other day indicating that despite the multi-BILLION dollar cost, F-22s despite their overall superiority aren't really any much better in a traditional dogfight than any opposing air force's clunky older cheapo fighters?

saw the tagline, didn't read the story. then puttin' fire crackers in the models and blowin' them up? yeah, we did that. :hee:

jhale667
08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
saw the tagline, didn't read the story. then puttin' fire crackers in the models and blowin' them up? yeah, we did that. :hee:

Speaking of which, I found some M-80s when I was poking around in some of my old stuff at my family's house...lol

:guitar:

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Speaking of which, I found some M-80s when I was poking around in some of my old stuff at my family's house...lol

:guitar:

got any airplane or spaceship models left?

jhale667
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
got any airplane or spaceship models left?

Not here in Cali...almost worth going down the street to Fry's and dropping $5 on a model plane, huh? :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Not here in Cali...almost worth going down the street to Fry's and dropping $5 on a model plane, huh? :biggrin:

fuck yeah :baaa: shit, now i'm thinkin' about it. be much more rewarding than runnin' around in circles arguin' here. ;)

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
oooooh, a submarine model in our swimming pool!!

jhale667
08-01-2012, 04:52 PM
:lmao:

jhale667
08-01-2012, 04:55 PM
What's even funnier is, aren't they like a quarter stick of dynamite or something? Without thinking I tossed the handful of M80s into my bag when I was packing to come back...lucky they're old I guess, no bomb-sniffing dog went psycho on my luggage on the way home... :lol:

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Those are two of my favorite planes. I always liked that dart shaped tail on an F-4 and the Tom Cat was cool as well. The first time I saw an F-22 I went god that is ugly. I think Lamborghini lost their minds basing a car design on the F-22. That car is ugly too.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-01-2012, 04:58 PM
What's even funnier is, aren't they like a quarter stick of dynamite or something? Without thinking I tossed the handful of M80s into my bag when I was packing to come back...lucky they're old I guess, no bomb-sniffing dog went psycho on my luggage on the way home... :lol:

carry on?!!? or checked bag?

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM
The USMC has choppers dating back to 1965. Had a near accident with one over in Iraq, nothing I wanna cherish.

You can keep an airframe flying for a long time. As long as you check for corrosion and take care of that. Sure a lot of our B-52's are old but they have been maintained and upgraded. They aren't the same plane that rolled off the assembly line in the 50's.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
oooooh, a submarine model in our swimming pool!!

M-80's are waterproof. JHale could depth charge that sub.

jhale667
08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
carry on?!!? or checked bag?

Checked bag, but still - I've come home from at least one QR-tech trip in the day to find my checked bag had been opened, and there was an "Inspected by" card inside it...trying to remember if it was one of the international or domestic flights...

jhale667
08-01-2012, 05:07 PM
M-80's are waterproof. JHale could depth charge that sub.

Oh, DUDE - don't give me any ideas... geez, that'd probably scare my landlord to death! :lmao:

clarathecarrot
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Nice to find out you all got high putting airplane models together, but that is beside the point... dammit!!!

So, I was about 10 yrs old and happy as shit I finally got a model aiplane kit of the, Blackbird, my favorite... my pinacle of jets finally,.. yay.. opened the box and get this...it was litterally two pieces a top and bottom that snapped together and couple USAF wing decals.......it was like someone told about santa again..lol

I had it in the backyard with the neigborhood kids loaded with Black Cat firecrackers within hrs.

I guess I though the top secret airplane would be broken ito all it's parts with a spec manual writeen by NORAD...

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
The scariest firework I ever lit was a fountain that didn't vent and exploded. I was walking away from it and then BOOM! and I feel all this cardboard shrapnel hitting my back. It made a M-80 look tame. Scared the shit out of every body. Then we had this spinning thing you lit and it floated. so I grabbed a galvanized steel tub and lit it. The sides of the steel tub start glowing red like a brazing torch is on it. I thought it melted the steel but it just melted the zinc coating. Those spinners burn hot!

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Nice to find out you all got high putting airplane models together, but that is beside the point... dammit!!!

So, I was about 10 yrs old and happy as shit I finally got a model aiplane kit of the Blackbird, my favorite my pinacle of jet finally,.. yay.. opened the box and get this...it was litterally two pieces a top and bottom that smapped together and couple USAF wing decals.......it was like someone told about santa again..lol

I had it in the backyard with the neigborhood kids laoded with Black Cat firecrackers within hrs.

The Hill Air Force Base museum has an SR-71. I went to check it out and the building it was in was being used to honor some Air Force brass. So I was looking at the airplane outside. Then I noticed they had pushed the SR-71 out of the building to make room on the floor for the folding chairs. No ropes around it. No do not touch signs. I was all over that plane. I even crawled up into the landing gear recesses. The second time I visited it was roped off and do not touch.

Nickdfresh
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM

They weren't cheapo fighters, but the advanced Eurofighter Typhoon...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/planes-uavs/should-you-believe-the-f-22-doom-and-gloom-11248461?click=pm_latest

I still think the F-22 is way too expensive and should be augmented by a cheaper fighter plane similar to the Typhoon...

clarathecarrot
08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
the hill air force base museum has an sr-71. I went to check it out and the building it was in was being used to honor some air force brass. So i was looking at the airplane outside. Then i noticed they had pushed the sr-71 out of the building to make room on the floor for the folding chairs. No ropes around it. No do not touch signs. I was all over that plane. I even crawled up into the landing gear recesses. The second time i visited it was roped off and do not touch.

Most Excellent!!

gbranton
08-01-2012, 06:42 PM
The Hill Air Force Base museum has an SR-71. I went to check it out and the building it was in was being used to honor some Air Force brass. So I was looking at the airplane outside. Then I noticed they had pushed the SR-71 out of the building to make room on the floor for the folding chairs. No ropes around it. No do not touch signs. I was all over that plane. I even crawled up into the landing gear recesses. The second time I visited it was roped off and do not touch.

That particular SR-71 (serial number 61-7981) was first a YF-12A, a prototype interceptor. The seventh through ninth slots on the A-12 (civilian CIA predecessor to the SR-71) assembly line. The Hill AFB plane is the first YF-12A produced. The main changes involved modifying the A-12's nose to accommodate the Hughes AN/ASG-18 fire-control radar originally developed for the XF-108, and the addition of the second cockpit for a crew member to operate the fire control radar for the air-to-air missile system. The modifications changed the aircraft's aerodynamics enough to require ventral fins to be mounted under the fuselage and engine nacelles to maintain stability. The four bays previously used to house the A-12's reconnaissance equipment were converted to carry Hughes AIM-47 Falcon (GAR-9) missiles. One bay was used for fire control equipment.

The only two I have seen up close are 60-6930 (Huntsville, AL) and 60-6938 (Mobile, AL), both A-12s, the precursor to both the YF-12 and the Blackbird.

jhale667
08-01-2012, 07:46 PM
They weren't cheapo fighters, but the advanced Eurofighter Typhoon...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/planes-uavs/should-you-believe-the-f-22-doom-and-gloom-11248461?click=pm_latest

I still think the F-22 is way too expensive and should be augmented by a cheaper fighter plane similar to the Typhoon...

That wasn't the article I saw (probably sourced from it, though)...the one I saw made it sound like a run-of-the-mill MiG could pretty much keep up with it in a traditional dogfight. But then the F-22 is more designed to prevent the enemy from ever getting their own air support off the ground, isn't it?

SR-71s are bad ass, too. :baaa:

gbranton
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
That wasn't the article I saw (probably sourced from it, though)...the one I saw made it sound like a run-of-the-mill MiG could pretty much keep up with it in a traditional dogfight. But then the F-22 is more designed to prevent the enemy from ever getting their own air support off the ground, isn't it?

SR-71s are bad ass, too. :baaa:

The F-22's real strength is long range, multi target, air-to-air engagement. It is designed to track, engage and eliminate multiple simultaneous targets far, far beyond visual range, twice the range of other current platforms. Not to be the ultimate dogfighter, because time and time again the Pentagon has determined that the days of close range, one on one dogfights have passed, only to be proven wrong time after time.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM

I watched a program on the development of the F-14. How Grumman had to make a huge structure out of titanium to fasten the moving wings to. They were real sophisticated planes for the day.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
The F-22's real strength is long range, multi target, air-to-air engagement. It is designed to track, engage and eliminate multiple simultaneous targets far, far beyond visual range, twice the range of other current platforms. Not to be the ultimate dogfighter, because time and time again the Pentagon has determined that the days of close range, one on one dogfights have passed, only to be proven wrong time after time.

Yup. They thought dog fighting was obsolete by the 1950's. It turns out in Vietnam the pilots wished they had a gun because the target was too close to fire a missle.

Nitro Express
08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
That particular SR-71 (serial number 61-7981) was first a YF-12A, a prototype interceptor. The seventh through ninth slots on the A-12 (civilian CIA predecessor to the SR-71) assembly line. The Hill AFB plane is the first YF-12A produced. The main changes involved modifying the A-12's nose to accommodate the Hughes AN/ASG-18 fire-control radar originally developed for the XF-108, and the addition of the second cockpit for a crew member to operate the fire control radar for the air-to-air missile system. The modifications changed the aircraft's aerodynamics enough to require ventral fins to be mounted under the fuselage and engine nacelles to maintain stability. The four bays previously used to house the A-12's reconnaissance equipment were converted to carry Hughes AIM-47 Falcon (GAR-9) missiles. One bay was used for fire control equipment.

The only two I have seen up close are 60-6930 (Huntsville, AL) and 60-6938 (Mobile, AL), both A-12s, the precursor to both the YF-12 and the Blackbird.

On the SR-71 at Hill the second seat is raised and looks like a trainer. It's not the standard second recon seat.

gbranton
08-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Yup. They thought dog fighting was obsolete by the 1950's. It turns out in Vietnam the pilots wished they had a gun because the target was too close to fire a missle.

They did retrofit F-4s with 20MM Vulcan gun pods and had some success killing MIGs.

http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/03/76/73/400_F_3767351_MCdet4YUKl1s52mBEg1GKIbeSxCE6TyJ.jpg

gbranton
08-01-2012, 08:25 PM
On the SR-71 at Hill the second seat is raised and looks like a trainer. It's not the standard second recon seat.

The YF-12A being an interceptor, this is were the Weapons Officer sits. This guy would have been tasked with operating the weapons, looking at the radar for targets and navigation. He also watches out for other fighters during engagements.