PDA

View Full Version : Soldier admits murdering Iraqi detainees

Steve Savicki
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.yahoo.com/s/491472

A 101st Airborne Division soldier was sentenced Thursday to 18 years in prison for murdering a detainee and taking part in the killings of two others in
Iraq last year.

Pfc. Corey R. Clagett, 21, was one of four soldiers from the division's 3rd Brigade "Rakkasans" who were accused in the detainees' deaths during a May 9 raid on the Muthana chemical complex in Samarra, about 60 miles north of Baghdad.

In an agreement with prosecutors, Clagett, of Moncks Corner, S.C., pleaded guilty to charges of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder and conspiracy to obstruct justice. Prosecutors dropped a second obstruction charge and charges of disrespecting an officer and threatening.

The soldiers first told investigators they shot the detainees because they were attempting to flee _ a story they now say they made up _ and that commanders had given them orders to kill all military-age males on the mission.

Two of those soldiers, Spc. William B. Hunsaker and Spc. Juston R. Graber, have changed their stories and pleaded guilty. The squad leader, Staff Sgt. Raymond Girouard, is awaiting his court-martial.

"(Sgt. Girouard) said we were going to cut the zip ties loose and kill the detainees," Clagett told the military judge, Col. Theodore Dixon, on Thursday. "I knew it was an unlawful order. I just went along with it."

The judge asked Clagett what his intention was when he shot at the detainees.

"To kill them, your honor," Clagett said.

Clagett's lawyer, Paul Bergrin, has insisted Clagett was following orders, but sought the plea agreement after Hunsaker, 24, told a military judge that Clagett helped him shoot the detainees.

Clagett will also be demoted to private and dishonorably discharged. If he does not cooperate with prosecutors, he could be sentenced to life in prison with a chance at parole.

Military prosecutors would not discuss the case.

So our soliders become barbaric by just killing detainees and then we imprison our own...
lose-lose situation for both sides for a war the U.S. started.
Makes us look real good...

VanHalener
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
The whole mess is a SOUP SANDWICH

and I feel bad for everyone involved.

hideyoursheep
01-27-2007, 04:19 PM
So what happened with the officers issuing the order to kill all military-age males?Why were they detained to begin with?I smell bullshit.

FORD
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
This entire fucking war amounts to obeying illegal orders, since the war itself is illegal, and based on LIES and TREASON.

Not to mention the illegal orders are given by a chimp who deserted his national guard unit in war time.

According to the UCMJ, the penalty for wartime desertion is er... rather extreme. It's the same penalty for treason, incidentally.

And it just coincidentally is the same sentence which the Idiot Son of an Asshole had no problem imposing on over 100 people in Texas, even mocking some of them as they were pleading for their lives.

We need to exorcize this demonic bastard from the soul of America immediately.

hideyoursheep
01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by FORD
... a chimp who deserted his national guard unit in war time.

Hey ford,Explain to those not in-the-know what happens usually to Natl.Guardsmen who fail to show up for drill.

hideyoursheep
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I'll tell you.They usually get sent to active duty RA units.Not the Alabama Natl. Guard.

Steve Savicki
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Is there something about Alabama?

hideyoursheep
01-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Is there something about Alabama?

I dunno.I'd ask :monkey: ,but I can't.