PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not a fan of Jump.

secrets
04-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Ok it is a nice song and I used to love it, but I wouldn't put it in my top ten of favourite VH songs. It's better than I'll Wait for sure no question. What I dislike about this song is that it represents the beginning of the end for Classic VH.:(
This gave them (Van Hagar) the taste for creating keyboard heavy AOR pop songs rather than guitar driven heavy rock. Worse still it paved the way for pop/rock acts who dressed up as heavy metal bands such as Bonjovi or Europe (currently residing in the where are they now category).

Dave and the other guys were against doing this song (and I'll Wait); Ed pushed for it all the way.
As I've said it ain't a bad song but they did much better.

DLRismydad
04-24-2004, 07:40 PM
All that stuff is probably true but the fact remains Jump is damn catchy.

FORD
04-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Jump grew on me, but I'm sick of it now (and Panama) from being overplayed. Or ruined by Hagar. Or both.

I never liked "I'll Wait". No wonder it was co written by Michael McDonald, the Doobie Brothers version of Sammy Hagar.

BITEYOASS
04-25-2004, 12:15 AM
I guess they released "Jump" because if they would have made a video for "Drop dead legs" "Girl gone bad" or "House of Pain", then MTV would banned those videos like what happened to "Pretty Woman"

cwsmith17
04-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Jump is an excellent song!

pete
04-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by cwsmith17
Jump is an excellent song!

so is "I'll Wait" IMO

Bill Lumbergh
04-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Overall, 1984 is my least favorite Vh album(VH meaning Dave era...accept no substitutes). Jump is played out, but for some reason I'm more sick of Panama. I'll Wait has never been a fave, it's alright I guess......Still there really isnt a bad track on the album, I just play it a bit less than Diver Down(which I rank right above '84) It kinda sucks though that Jump is considered the bands signature track by many, even though it isnt a typical Dave era VH song.

cwsmith17
04-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Everything song from the Roth Era is great material. Regardless of which album it came from.

Bill Lumbergh
04-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Agreed. Just prefer some over others, of course. Shit, even Big Bad Bill has it's merits!

pete
04-25-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Agreed. Just prefer some over others, of course. Shit, even Big Bad Bill has it's merits!

It's fucking stellar.

You can get bored of some songs. "Unchained" is one for me. "Big Bad Bill" still is pumpin' my speakers.

Bill Lumbergh
04-25-2004, 01:21 AM
"Jamie's Cryin' is one I'm tired of. "Pretty Woman" is another.

thefive
04-25-2004, 01:27 AM
I love jump. I dont care if it is more mellow or doesnt have that hard rock. Just love that song. One reason I liked I'll wait is because I thought Dave was singing about a Playboy Centerfold. I knew even before interviews and his book that Dave was a fan of Playboy Magazine. Just had a feeling he read that. Anyway I am also a fan of Playboy magazine. But I guess Dave was singing that song about a guess model.

the five

thefive
04-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Overall, 1984 is my least favorite Vh album(VH meaning Dave era...accept no substitutes). Jump is played out, but for some reason I'm more sick of Panama. I'll Wait has never been a fave, it's alright I guess......Still there really isnt a bad track on the album, I just play it a bit less than Diver Down(which I rank right above '84) It kinda sucks though that Jump is considered the bands signature track by many, even though it isnt a typical Dave era VH song.

Bill give I'LL wait a second chance. Maybe listen to it and have the lyrics in front of you. I dont know. Sometimes when I have the lyrics in front of me I start liking the song.

the 5

Bill Lumbergh
04-25-2004, 01:36 AM
I do like the song, just not one I rank very high overall. Sometimes songs grow on me after a while, Hang em' High being an example. I've always liked it a lot, but now I can't stop fucking playing it. Shit I probably listen to Dave about 75 percent of the time, with VH and solo. It's amazing after all these years I'm still not sick of it.

thefive
04-25-2004, 01:52 AM
I do like the song, just not one I rank very high overall. Sometimes songs grow on me after a while, Hang em' High being an example. I've always liked it a lot, but now I can't stop fucking playing it. Shit I probably listen to Dave about 75 percent of the time, with VH and solo. It's amazing after all these years I'm still not sick of it.

Thats because your a Die Hard Roth fan. You have to ADMIT it. LOL

the 5

BITEYOASS
04-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by thefive
I love jump. I dont care if it is more mellow or doesnt have that hard rock. Just love that song. One reason I liked I'll wait is because I thought Dave was singing about a Playboy Centerfold. I knew even before interviews and his book that Dave was a fan of Playboy Magazine. Just had a feeling he read that. Anyway I am also a fan of Playboy magazine. But I guess Dave was singing that song about a guess model.

the five

Yeah, might as well Jump her bones! LOL

secrets
04-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
I guess they released "Jump" because if they would have made a video for "Drop dead legs" "Girl gone bad" or "House of Pain", then MTV would banned those videos like what happened to "Pretty Woman"

Good point. The video for jump was kinda tame. I love the video for Panama and I think it's a great song too.
Hot for Teacher was quite a fun video. As for Pretty Woman that is just about the weirdest video I've seen. The intention was to create controversy which they achieved.

bru87tr
04-28-2004, 10:44 AM
im a fan cause it amazing that a song with so little could be so good. I think its a great song and amazing somone could make a hit song from the word Jump! :)

DaveIsKing
05-02-2004, 06:43 PM
I maybe in the minority hear, but I can like "I'll Wait" BETTER than "Jump". Probably because it has been driven into the ground for 20 fucking years. While "Girl Gone Bad" and "Drop Dead Legs" (my personal favs from 1984) wouldn't get played if hell froze over.

Oh well...that's fuckin' mainstream assholes for ya.

secrets
05-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
I maybe in the minority hear, but I can like "I'll Wait" BETTER than "Jump". Probably because it has been driven into the ground for 20 fucking years. While "Girl Gone Bad" and "Drop Dead Legs" (my personal favs from 1984) wouldn't get played if hell froze over.

Oh well...that's fuckin' mainstream assholes for ya.

There are some really great songs on 1984 and you're right that they don't get played on mainstream radio.
Just for once I'd love to hear "Girl Gone Bad" or "Drop Dead Legs" on the radio but it ain't gonna happen.
Whenever I hear Jump on the radio it seems to be followed by "The Final Countdown" by Europe for some strange reason. I may not be a huge fan of Jump but it's in a different league to that shit song.

Sweet Irony
05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
You aint lived til youve seen Jay doing "Jump"......

;)

(with guitar, or at the piano....lol)

mikethemartian
07-24-2004, 05:30 PM
I was introduced to Van Halen fairly late. Jump is the first song I ever saw them perform (on video). I came to love all the Dave era stuff, but Jump is my all time favorite song. Probably because it was my first experience.

But I can understand that someone who followed Van Halen from the beginning might have been bothered by the shift. In fact Saturday Night Live a few years ago did one of their fake commercials for a CD that included a collection of songs that "ruined your favorite band". I forgot the other bands they mentioned, but I remember Jump was on there. It was very funny. But it is still my favorite.

secrets
07-25-2004, 02:26 PM
I've changed my mind since I posted this thread. I think Jump is a great song, just not the best Van Halen song.

Dan
07-25-2004, 06:30 PM
I still think the Videos for Jump and Panama are great.

BARE BONE
07-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I thought I'll Wait was a great vocal performance by Dave. Great song I say!

Terry
07-26-2004, 10:37 PM
To echo some other posts here, Jump has definitely been overplayed into the ground. By this point, it's become another Stairway to Heaven for me, in that I literally never need to hear this song again (although I'll still listen to it when it's on the radio, it always gets skipped when it's in the CD player).

Can't say I was that big on the tune even when it first came out. Nice guitar solo, decent drumming.......again, reiterating a point already made, 1984 as an album was part of the transition VH made into synth driven pop tunes being included on their albums, a trend that began with Dancing In The Streets.

Agreed that there really isn't a 6 pack album that isn't a classic, and even though 1984 was one of Halen's biggest selling albums in their career it doesn't change the fact that 1984 was a continuation of the band softening and losing their edge.

Put it to you this way: If classic Halen reunited and I went to see them and they DIDN'T play Jump, I wouldn't feel cheated.

DLRdelight!
08-02-2004, 04:57 PM
I can see how people can get sick of Jump, but if you havent heard it for a long time and then out of no where you hear it playing, it reminds you how catchy and good it is, and Ill Wait has a bad ass guitar solo, just love that solo for some reason

Fabulous Shadow
08-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Forget the song... Just watch the video... Eddie and Dave were eye candy... Pure and simple!

Dave's better vocals... Outta Love...

frenchie
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
last time i've heard jump was in a party. when the chorus say "jump', i jumped an" i broke my leg.i never listened jump again. but it"s true, i was drunk!!

Mr. G
08-03-2004, 01:14 AM
Did you guys ever hear Van Halen play "Girl gone bad" live. I saw them do it in 84 and it was incredible! House of pain is a really old song. I heard it on their original demo 76-77 and it was pretty cool, in fact you know that sound (car horns)at the begining of "runnin with the devil" well it was originally used in "House of pain". im' sure you already knew that.

Bill Lumbergh
08-04-2004, 01:25 AM
By the way "Drop Dead Legs" does get airplay around here..........

DeadOrAlive
08-12-2004, 07:30 PM
DDL should get air play! All CVH songs should get air play!