PDA

View Full Version : BushCO Cuts Cancer Funding.....AGAIN!!!!

LoungeMachine
01-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Scientists: Cuts Hurt Cancer Research
Cancer Researchers Worry That Progress Will End Because Of Proposed Budget Cuts

(CBS) For eight months, Joni Grandin, who never smoked, has been receiving an experimental treatment for advanced lung cancer, thanks to a federally funded clinical trial at the University of North Carolina, CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric reports.

"I think it was a lifesaver for me," Grandin says. "I would say there's probably a good chance I wouldn't be sitting here with you right now if it weren't for that."

But budget cuts are threatening the future of new clinical trials that might save more lives.

"We are pulling the rug out from the world's best infrastructure for cancer research and for all biomedical research. It doesn't make any sense to me," says Dr. Shelton Earp of UNC's Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Funding for the National Cancer Institute had been going up steadily for a decade, but now President Bush wants to cut the funding for the second year in a row — this time by $40 million.

The newest cancer research may be especially threatened by these cuts. Money has always been tight. Even back in 2002, when the budget was growing, the government approved only one in five promising proposals for new research. Now only one in 10 is funded.

It's not only the research, but the researchers themselves that are affected. Some worry these cuts will have chilling effect on recruiting up-and-coming scientists.

"We're at jeopardy of losing a whole generation of scientists, of cancer researchers, and that's undoubtedly going to have an effect 10 years down the line," adds Dr. Ben Ho Park of Johns Hopkins' Kimmel Cancer Center.

Park, 40, is doing promising breast cancer research, but he's seen his lab budget cut by almost 30 percent. He's worried that without funding, science won't move forward — and the number of cancer deaths could rise again.

"Right now it's a shame because we're really poised with our knowledge base of cancer to make really great inroads into this disease, as far as therapy and treatment," he says.

Inroads that Grandin feels are given her the best chance to battle her lung disease.

"I'm fighting this," Grandin says. "I'm not going to go down not fighting and, at this point, it's working for me."

Whether other patients will have the same opportunities for new therapies in the future is what doctors are worried about today.

© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

LoungeMachine
01-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Funding for the National Cancer Institute had been going up steadily for a decade, but now President Bush wants to cut the funding for the second year in a row — this time by $40 million.

:mad:

hideyoursheep
01-25-2007, 09:33 PM
I,for one, am not suprised.

Maybe Bonzo is gettin ready to throw some scratch at stem cell research?

FORD
01-25-2007, 11:47 PM
I did not need to fucking see this today.... Just found that out that a friend of mine who has been fighting cancer for the last 3 years is doing worse than I thought. I doubt he'll see his 40th birthday, and that's 5 months from now.

How do people who call themselves "pro-lifers" justify supporting these bastards whose every action leads to death on a large scale? Whose fucking LIFE has the Bush Criminal Empire ever protected.

LoungeMachine
01-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Whose fucking LIFE has the Bush Criminal Empire ever protected.

Halliburton Stockholders?

Oh, that was rhetorical.

Sorry about your friend. :(

bueno bob
01-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Hey, there's a war effort to fund after all - gotta throw more money at that, that'll fix it.

:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your friend, Ford. Hope he does well.

FORD
01-26-2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys, but unfortunately there's not much left that can be done. It's a rare cancer that doesn't respond to chemo. They cut the original tumor out of his abdomen and hoped for the best, but it came back in his liver, and it's now spreading, so things aren't looking good :(

Didn't mean to turn a Chimp bashing thread into such a downer, but this is exactly what's wrong with this fucking country - wasting billions of dollars on an insane war that does NOTHING to benefit this country (apart from a handful of billionaires) and this money could be better spent on things that actually SAVE lives, such as cancer research.

ThrillsNSpills
01-26-2007, 08:53 AM
things that actually SAVE lives, such as cancer research.

Actually the research dollars go into drugs to treat it and not a cure, which you know. Recall the "can't patent nutrients" reality.
check out Rene Caisse, and Gerson on Google, only 2 things our govt has suppressed over the years.
there have been more.
Get your friend's advocates some videos from Lorraine Day.

read the Trudeau books,

Personally, I'm a stage 3 survivor, I've got 2 friends with leukemia who saw what happened to me, and I couldn't convince them to run from traditional therapies.

PM me if I can help

Steve Savicki
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Just wait till one of the BCE gets cancer.

Ford, tell your friend to stay strong.
Sorry to hear about this.

kentuckyklira
01-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Dead Iraqis are more important than healthy Americans!

blonddgirl777
01-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Hang on!

Other countries are still working on that research and will not stop funding the cause...

You will all benifit from it, when the cure is found!

At the same time, I am wondering if there are any real good intentions out there to find that cure...
The pharmaceutical cies. make so much money, "maintaining" the desease and prolongating the treatments!
Cancer is a big "industry"...

With everything mankind has come up with, so far... how come Cancer is still such an unsolved mistery?

blonddgirl777
01-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Just wait till one of the BCE gets cancer...

Butcher announcing that he's got terminal cancer?
Now THAT would be the American dream came true! :o

blonddgirl777
01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
... Funding for the National Cancer Institute had been going up steadily for a decade, but now President Bush wants to cut the funding for the second year in a row — this time by $40 million...

Now how can people still have faith in their donations?
$10.00 here, $20.00 there... how far will this take us and how fast? :(

blonddgirl777
01-26-2007, 12:16 PM
... Didn't mean to turn a Chimp bashing thread into such a downer...

Every thread about the actions of Republicans IS a fuck'n downer!
Republicans = Downer!
Period.

FORD
01-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe because the pharmaceuticals themselves are causing some of the cancer?

I lost another friend to cancer about a year and a half ago and even his doctors admitted that medication he was taking for an unrelated illness probably was responsible. If I wasn't already opposed to the pharmaceutical industry as it was, that would have pushed me over the edge. It's crazy to believe that toxic chemicals are going to improve your quality of life whether you're dealing with cancer, depression, menopause, sleep deprivation, or whatever. 2/3 of the commercials on TV anymore are for prescription drugs, and the side effects are usually worse than dealing with whatever the original problem was.

As for the Kevin Trudeau books, I've read the first one, I've seen his infomercials, and was pretty much on the same page with him anyway even before I heard of him. The government and the corporations want him silenced, but everything he says makes common sense.

The simple fact is that cancer and heart disease didn't exist on this scale 100 years ago, so it has to be the man made inventions of the last century that are killing us. And when you breathe toxins in the air, drink toxins in the water, eat toxins in the food, and top that off with deliberate intake of pharmaceutical toxins, is it any wonder that your own cells mutate and turn against you?

blonddgirl777
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Maybe because the pharmaceuticals themselves are causing some of the cancer?...

... The simple fact is that cancer and heart disease didn't exist on this scale 100 years ago, so it has to be the man made inventions of the last century that are killing us. And when you breathe toxins in the air, drink toxins in the water, eat toxins in the food, and top that off with deliberate intake of pharmaceutical toxins, is it any wonder that your own cells mutate and turn against you?

I truely beleive that!

I also beleive that the cure HAS been found but is kept a secret from the general public...
Some business sharks will protect their interests at all costs!