PDA

View Full Version : How much money do you spend on music?

Alex Mogilny
04-24-2004, 10:19 AM
I was curious as to how much everyone spends on music.

My spending varies. Sometimes I'll buy a cd a week for a stretch at a time. Sometimes I won't buy anything for weeks at a time. Then again, whe I go to a record fair I can go through $400-$500 in half a day.

What do you spend?

FORD
04-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Considering most music being released these days sucks ass, I don't spend much at all. Actually, I now spend more on blank CD's and cases, burning CD's from Sharing The Groove and other similar sites.

Back when new music was listenable, it wouldn't be unheard of for me to drop a couple C-notes at the CD store.

The only commerical music I'm planning on purchasing at present is the Black Sabbath box. If they ever actually release the fucking thing :mad:

FORD
04-25-2004, 04:02 AM
To ammend my previous statement, it looks like the fucking Sabbath box is finally coming out. The typical retail price is around $99, but you can get it for $77.21 at www.cdconnection.com

These guys actually have the best prices on a lot of shit. $9.46 for the Van HALEN remastered discs. They also have a decent selection of imports, like the Aussie - only AC/DC albums.

I'll take these guys over Amazon, Tower, HMV, etc. every time.

GAR
04-25-2004, 04:22 AM
i am past the music buying stage. I have almost everything of interest to me on vinyl 8track or CD and cassette.

Coyote
04-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Not much. On new music, that is. Anything older/more interesting than current music, and I'll gladly fork over the cash.

pardo
04-26-2004, 09:07 AM
If there's a band that I like, I'll buy their cd. I like having the artifact. Originally, I wanted to "support" bands I like, but how much support are you really givin when the band sees like 5% of the price? Just padding the wallets of all the middlemen who're raping the band. Sad.

So the reason I buy cds now is cause I don't like the idea of music being a disposable commodity. I don't want it to just be another slew of files on my hard drive. When I was a kid, I was in awe lookin at my dads big record collection. Will kids be inspired by lookin through a directory on a computer? Seriously doubt it. Things are movin in the wrong direction.

Anyway, to answer the question. Don't spend as much as I used to just a couple years ago. I loved the early - mid '90's punk scene. Bands like Pennywise, NOFX, Face to Face, Rancid, Bouncing Souls all were awesome. And a tonne more. For me, punks golden age seems to be over which sucks cause its nice to be into current music.

I guess I'll be diggin back to older bands even more now. I have a shitload of older disks and they still sound awesome!

ashstralia
04-26-2004, 11:30 AM
great post pardo.
guess i'm lucky, cause i have 26ish guitar students, so i get to hear all the new
guitar stuff. if there's anything i really like i will buy it, you'd be amazed how many
13-16 yr olds are into hendrix/ zep/ vh/; i guess they are digging into their folks
records, huh?
just as a btw, this job allows me to really get a handle on what the kids are
into and for how long. eg. rage against the machine and metallica kept me well fed
throughout the 90's; korn and limp bizkit lasted about 3 minutes.
the classic bands just don't go away!!!
bring back vinyl!!!

ashstralia
04-26-2004, 11:34 AM
oh yeah, i'm with gar.
pretty much got it all,
maybe 6 new albums a year?

Alex Mogilny
04-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Spent $12 today at Best Buy for Humble Pie, "Live At The Fillmore".
Very good album.

pete
04-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Bought the new Velvet Revolver single on Itunes tonight. "slither"

it rawks!

gothqueen
05-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I spend more than I should on music. Buying CDs is first a hobby, then it's an addiction and obsession. But it's all fun.

classicdude
05-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Like some of you, I probably only buy 5-6 new releases a year. Most of the money I spend on cd's is at the used cd stores, then it's usually like $40-$50 a trip. I'd rather pay $7 for a cd a few months old than $14.99 like some of these places charge for new recordings.

Of course, if you include music dvd's, concerts and concert swag then it's easily hundreds a year. (Then again, you factor in gas & beer money to the concerts, might even be a few thousand a year, LOL!)

tobinentinc
05-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Considering im 17, I get to buy all of the "Classic albums" for the first time. It's like having all of this great music to buy, but so little money to do it with. I spend various amounts of $$ on music not just one set price.