PDA

View Full Version : "Whatever Happened To Slade?"

Shaun Ponsonby
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
It's a shame SLADE aren't more recognised then they actually are. They were so much more than the McFly of the 70s...they were a GRATE rock & roll band. Recently bought the new box set and the 3 live albums + live at reading ep (boxed together). Anyone who dismisses them as a teeny-boppers band have NO idea.

Far, Far Away
Coz I Luv U
Bangin' Man
When I'm Dancin' I Ain't Fightin'
Rock & Roll Preacher
Thanks For The Memory
Tak' Me Bak' 'Ome
Mama Weer All Crazee Now
Radio Wall of Sound
We'll Bring The House Down
Be
Run Run Away
Gotta Go Home
Gudbuy T' Jane
Cum On Feel The Noize
Them Kinda Monkey's Can't Swing
Lock Up Your Daughters
My Friend Stan
Skweeze Me Pleeze Me

GRATE band, even if they were slightly dyslexic.

MAPRamone
02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Really underrated band, glam for the working classes. And they influenced punk.

Mr. Vengeance
02-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I still say their best album was Get Your Hands Off My Power Supply, which was only released after Quiet Riot had a huge hit with their cover of Come On Feel The Noize. I LOVED that album!

Shaun Ponsonby
02-04-2007, 11:10 AM
I like the "Slade in Flame" soundtrack, personally.

Matt White
02-04-2007, 11:22 AM
HA!!!

Imagine if ROBERT PLANT had actually become their lead singer....

Shaun Ponsonby
02-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm GLAD he never did. I've always thought Noddy was the BEST frontman from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area.

He can fookin' sing better too.

Matt White
02-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Well...that's a stretch....but Plant & Noddy are good friends...to this day

They share the same sense of humor:p

Shaun Ponsonby
02-04-2007, 11:55 AM
No, seriously, the 3 Slade live albums more than prove it.

But, yea, I can imagine them being friends. Growing up in a shitty place like Wolverhampton (it's worse than Liverpool...and THAT's saying something) is enough to keep 2 celebrities from the area to be long-time friends.

katie
02-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I thought The Sweet were a great under rated rock band.
Their albums were fucking killer.

Mick Tucker = Fantastic drummer,

Steve Savicki
02-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I still say their best album was Get Your Hands Off My Power Supply, which was only released after Quiet Riot had a huge hit with their cover of Come On Feel The Noize. I LOVED that album!
Was this a live album?

Shaun Ponsonby
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
No, it was a FUCK OFF STEVE SAVICKI album

Diamondjimi
02-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey Savicki your live journal page ! What's the deal with the fuckin flowers, Sheila?:lol:

Plexi Head
02-07-2007, 06:57 PM

You know that is actually true from a technique point of view, that guy could hit any note, anytime, anywhere he fucking wanted to. INCREDIBLE singer, totally underated. Classic Rock had a great article lastr year on Slade and interviewd Noddy, great read.

Slade Aive rocked my world.

Plexi Head
02-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by katie
I thought The Sweet were a great under rated rock band.
Their albums were fucking killer.

Mick Tucker = Fantastic drummer,

Another band that never recieved true acknoledgement for thier influence on Rock.

Mick Tucker died a few years back from Lukemia. He had the whole double kick thing down bigtime.

katie
02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Plexi Head
Another band that never recieved true acknoledgement for thier influence on Rock.

Mick Tucker died a few years back from Lukemia. He had the whole double kick thing down bigtime.

Loved his drum solo track 'The Man With The golden Arm' fantastic double bass playing awesome triplets & quads, why ahead of his time by rock drumming standards also a big infl..on Tommy Lee

Plexi Head
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Loved his drum solo track 'The Man With The golden Arm' fantastic double bass playing awesome triplets & quads, why ahead of his time by rock drumming standards also a big infl..on Tommy Lee

That solo was off Desolation Boulevard? Andy Scott could tear it up too, I have seen the odd rare live video and they were truely amazing, too bad they were stigmatized with that teeny bopper tag, kinda like how the mighty VH have ended up being tagged an 80's Hair band. Pisses me off.

Panamark
02-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Fuck, didnt know that about the Sweets drummer..
Are any of them still alive ??

Closest I got to seeing them, (Plexi Head may have been at this gig)
was watching their original lead singer Brian Connely
at the Fern Tree Gully Hotel singing with a backing band,
back in the late 80's (I think)

Did all the big hits, pretty cool, he was fucking bloated, like Ozzy
was when he was drinking bigtime in the 80's

Man, that was another lifetime..

Plexi could probably kick properly back then ;)

Dan
02-08-2007, 01:37 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nfb1goiuxCs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nfb1goiuxCs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Panamark
02-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Dan the Man !!

The Kiwi Cricket teams new theme song :D

Dan
02-08-2007, 02:03 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nioL4sH3QIk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nioL4sH3QIk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mark,This is what you Aussie boys are going to hear after we beat you 3 nil.:D

Plexi Head
02-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Fuck, didnt know that about the Sweets drummer..
Are any of them still alive ??

Closest I got to seeing them, (Plexi Head may have been at this gig)
was watching their original lead singer Brian Connely
at the Fern Tree Gully Hotel singing with a backing band,
back in the late 80's (I think)

Did all the big hits, pretty cool, he was fucking bloated, like Ozzy
was when he was drinking bigtime in the 80's

Man, that was another lifetime..

Plexi could probably kick properly back then ;)

Hey ya cheeky bastard, can't kick now and couldn't back then.

Na missed that one, Brian is dead too, but I guess you saw that one coming when ya saw him live.
He could fucking sing though.

I always remember Ozzy at Festival Hall in 97, turned up expecting a bloated old has been, he walked out like he had been in the gymn for 12 months and just completely tore the place to shreds. One of the most consistent performances I have ever seen, people forget that Ozzy can sing his ass off.

So ya planning on heading over for VH MK4?

Panamark
02-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Dan

Mark,This is what you Aussie boys are going to hear after we beat you 3 nil.:D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jK7K7cv1pJU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jK7K7cv1pJU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Panamark
02-08-2007, 02:36 AM

Na missed that one, Brian is dead too, but I guess you saw that one coming when ya saw him live.
He could fucking sing though.

I always remember Ozzy at Festival Hall in 97, turned up expecting a bloated old has been, he walked out like he had been in the gymn for 12 months and just completely tore the place to shreds. One of the most consistent performances I have ever seen, people forget that Ozzy can sing his ass off.

So ya planning on heading over for VH MK4?

I saw Ozzy in Sydney on that same tour, he and Zakk blew
us away.. I was stoked to see this, as I knew it would be the
last chance, and I have been a lifelong Sabbath/Ozzy fan...

As for VH, well..... I promised my wife a trip home every
year (to the USA) Im hoping they either keep going until
the end of the year, or make it to Oz..

Will be a big decision to fly across mid year...

If possible, we will be there !!

Dan
02-08-2007, 02:38 AM
LOL

Nice one Mark.:)

Dan
02-08-2007, 02:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRoIuQivWnA
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRoIuQivWnA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRoIuQivWnA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Back in Black Mark.:)

Panamark
02-08-2007, 03:14 AM
What about this DTM ???

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hDrtNeZD7mo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hDrtNeZD7mo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

katie
02-08-2007, 05:20 AM
That solo was off Desolation Boulevard? Andy Scott could tear it up too, I have seen the odd rare live video and they were truely amazing, too bad they were stigmatized with that teeny bopper tag, kinda like how the mighty VH have ended up being tagged an 80's Hair band. Pisses me off.

I have just about all the live and promo footage out there at the moment on my trade list here -

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/musictrading5673/myhomepage/rock.html

Let me know if you want to trade, or bring me up to speed on any similar bands .

Katiei

Panamark
02-08-2007, 05:56 AM
I have just about all the live and promo footage out there at the moment on my trade list here -

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/musictrading5673/myhomepage/rock.html

Let me know if you want to trade, or bring me up to speed on any similar bands .

Katiei

FARK ! You got quite the collection there Katie, lots of
Classic Oz Rock too...

How many years of collecting went into that ??

katie
02-08-2007, 09:39 AM
FARK ! You got quite the collection there Katie, lots of
Classic Oz Rock too...

How many years of collecting went into that ??

Too many, but well worth it.

Up for a trade?

Shaun Ponsonby
02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNEaD5tGLl0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNEaD5tGLl0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Panamark
02-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Too many, but well worth it.

Up for a trade?

I have nothing to trade ! (DOH)
But Im envious of your collection, its great..

Cheers..

flappo
02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
slade are the gratest

noddy is a living legend

cato is a BIG fan

he has grate taste

nuff said

Panamark
02-08-2007, 08:00 PM

BTW, j/k Mate :)

Plexi Head
02-08-2007, 09:44 PM
BTW, j/k Mate :)

Ha ha. I did get the joke, I know I must sound like an agro prick in here but I honestly laugh my ass off when typing. My agro with Brett being an example, he is an awesome guy who I admire alot. It's kinda like playing golf or something, releaves the stress.

I think I'm gonna go to see VH4 so keep in touch and if you go we should hook up. But yes, I know us ex footyheads have a deserved reputation as being thick but I'm not that thick, I did get the joke and it did make me laugh so no worries about that.

Panamark
02-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Ha ha. I did get the joke, I know I must sound like an agro prick in here but I honestly laugh my ass off when typing. My agro with Brett being an example, he is an awesome guy who I admire alot. It's kinda like playing golf or something, releaves the stress.

I think I'm gonna go to see VH4 so keep in touch and if you go we should hook up. But yes, I know us ex footyheads have a deserved reputation as being thick but I'm not that thick, I did get the joke and it did make me laugh so no worries about that.

I dont think you are a thickhead at all ! Its not like you played
Rugby League ! heheheheh
Ive heard your musical abilities, know your sporting accomplishments
and dont think you are an agro prick at all. Seem like a good
bloke to me...

Vh4 in OZ would be awesome, we would have to have some
sort of Army representation !! I think in all likelyhood we will
have to chase them, though..

Fark, I hate that flight !! SOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Its good shootin the breeze with ya, Im actually looking forward
to the footy this year, and the various reunions... Could be
a good year all round !

Full Bug
02-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Slade? The only song I have have heard from them was back in the 80's, 'Run Run Away', and the gay video, cant say they made a good impression....

Shaun Ponsonby
02-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Don't judge bands by one song.

If you judged Queen by Radio Ga Ga...

Plexi Head
02-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Don't judge bands by one song.

If you judged Queen by Radio Ga Ga...

Or the mighty Van Halen by Dreams...

Shaun Ponsonby
02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Exactly, exactly

Atomic_Rob
02-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Great band, and so were The Sweet. Both bands still tour, over Christmas Slade did a tour with some of the remaining members of Mud and T-Rextasy. Unfortunately the tour didnt come anywhere near the south of England so couldnt get there.

Andy Todd [guitarist in The Sweet] still gigs and that with various people, they did a London show a year or 2 ago

Shaun Ponsonby
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Yea, I saw that. Didn't play many big citys, it was like Morecome and stuff like that.

A few years ago they played Butlins...sad, isn't it?

COME BACK JIM AND NODDY

Atomic_Rob
02-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately Noddy is more content with being a TV personality than a rocker, I guess you gotta move on its just a shame a great band like Slade has kinda gone to the dogs when Hoddy isn't really doing anything worth writing home about.

Obviously hes gotten older but there are bands and artists out there in the same boat that keep going [Rolling Stones, Status Quo, Bob Dylan, David Bowie etc]

The main problem is there isn't the demand for bands like Slade anymore, even if they re-issue Merry X-Mas Everyone every bleeding year.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
To be honest, I think they would do relatively good business with Noddy and Jim back in the saddle. They have enough instantly recognisable hits. Most people who have never bought a SLADE album in their life know Merry Xmas, Feel The Noize, Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Coz I Luv U, some know more. The perfect time to do it would have been when The Darkness hit it big a few years ago.

I find it odd that Noddy is more concerned with being a TV personality, cos he's never on the fookin' TV. Surley he'd find more work doing what he (undoubtedly) does best.