PDA

View Full Version : ozzfest for free!!

perilousepete
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
has anyone been on ozzy's site today?
apparently ozzfest and livenation teemed up to offer 25 tour dates for free....which to me is just unbelievable.
just proves ozzy is the fucking shit and still cares about music and is not all about the money, unlike most artists.
any imput on this?

perilousepete
02-06-2007, 10:27 PM
i'm not sure. i know that they're really focussing on getting sponsors to cover a lot of the cost, but no idea what the bands have to pay or anything. the thing is though is that the bands can still sell all of their shirts and merchandise while they're there which they make a ton of money on anyway.

Julius
02-06-2007, 10:32 PM
You know those $40 concert tees?

Get ready to pay $80 for them. And bottled water for $10 bux.

There is no such thing as 'free'. I don't trust that cunt Sharon any farther than I could throw her.

perilousepete
02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
well i can see where you're comming from man, but we'll see how it goes. i'm optomistic, live nation is a major concert supporter and if they didn't think it would work they wouldn't have bothered to sponsor it.

Binky
02-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I heard about this and I'm not 100% happy. I'll show you what I posted elsewhere:

"...a free Ozzfest doesn't sound too good to be true. Well I won't be going but it sounds too suspicious. We think it's a response to Bruce Dickinson's "mention" of Ozzfest being far too expensive which is probably why Sharon resented him. But Bruce was right to complain, a bottle of water there costed $10. At least at Download it's about £2, and a 9" pizza was £5 but the best I've ever had. I mean is Sharon really trying to take advantage of her fans? Nasty piece of work. But back to me main point. If Ozzfest is free there has to be small print, remember these are me own theories with an and/ or status:
*All merch and foodness will increase in price to make up for costs, and people would have to pay for toilets

People will need to get the tickets on the Ozzfest site soley, which means:
*They will have to sign up to a sponsership or something and pay so much per month
*They have to get CDs of all bands playing
*They will be forced to sign up to third party sponserships, or at least bombed with junk mail
*They will have to buy all Ozzy/ Coal Chamber/ anything Sharon managed CDs
*They have to give their card details which gives Sharon the right to take money when she needs it
*Bands will have shorter sets
*Who said the camping and other facilities are free as well? In fact these could double in price (NB. I have no idea what sort of festival Ozzfest is because I never cared for it, so I apologise if this is incorrect)

While it's all possible, I don't think they'll hold a free festival without having some kind of small print or they will go out of business. I mean I don't agree to the lineup of Download but at least they operate on a practical basis. I'm very wary and you should be to. I'd say let some sucker get the tickets and let them tell you of the hassle they've had to go through before getting them. *^_^* |m|"

I apologise if some theories are hyperbolie, but it's happened to some of me mates in the past.

perilousepete
02-06-2007, 11:59 PM
yeah i hear that. if it's like that though, it will probably get really bad reviews and sharron and ozzie will look like huge douches and it will only last one year. i mean if it would really be that much of a hassel, i can't see many people attending which would lose everyone even more money so i dunno we'll see if this works or not...see if they got all figured out right

Tiki-Tom
02-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by perilousepete
[B
just proves ozzy is the fucking shit and still cares about music and is not all about the money, unlike most artists.
any imput on this? [/B]

He cares does he? Yep, thats why he(She) had parts of his first two classic records rerecorded with other musicians just to avoid paying royalties. Cause Ozzy's all about the music not money:rolleyes: thats only one example. Those days are long gone dude. Sharon runs the show called Ozzy now. He can't do anything for himself these days and she is "all about the money".

Sharonfest for free? Not likely. That bitch has got a game plan in the works. Its just a Publicity stunt that will make her sorry ass more money thru sales of merchandise and advertising sponsors.

If its really free, no strings attached then see how long that will last. No way it will be 25 dates.

rocknrolldork
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
The reason merch costs so much at shows is because the venue takes a percentage of the sales. When my last band was out doing arenas with Rusted Root, the RR people told us day 1 that we had to have the same merch prices as them and we had to sign with the facility to sell the merch. If we didn't agree with either RR making us mark up our prices or the venue taking a cut we wouldn't be able to sell our merch. That was the first time. The more we played out the more we found that to be the norm.

At a show:

Headliner charges $15-$17 for a disc and $25 for a T. We were only charging $10 for a disc and $10 for a T ($15 for the set) in a club, but had to mark it up to match because they didn't want the opener selling more merch than the headliner. Fucking bullshit. Just another way to screw the fans and the bands at the same time, but mainly the fans. Look for that to go way up for this "free" tour. The tour cannot dictate food prices at the venue. That is already set in stone by the venue itself. The performers and their management can do nothing about it. But they can charge for parking which they didn't do last year.

I'm really interested to see what bands are going to sign up for this tour since there is no pay.

FORD
02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Why is Ozzfest free?

Because without Sabbath as a headliner, nobody gives a shit.

SparkieD
02-07-2007, 12:48 PM
After the hen-grenade incident, they would have to PAY ME to go to Ozzfest.

Hardrock69
02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I was road manager for some friends of mine back in the 90s. We typically sold our t-shirts for 15 bucks, and cds for 10.

When we played coliseums, we were forced to charge 22 bucks for t-shirts, and 15 for CDs.

I have heard the figure $75,000 you have to pay THE FUCKING KUNT to be allowed to be on the bill at all.

While it is nice to say you will allow people to get in for free, after the Iron Maiden spectacle in San Bernardino in August of 2005, I swore thast FUCKING KUNT would never get another cent of my money.

So even if they give the tix away, I am sure I would still have to pay for something.

And somehow, a part of that money (whether for concessions, merch, whatever) would find it's way into her greedy FUCKING KUNT fists.

So as far as i am concerned, Ozzfest can kiss my motherfucking ass.

FUCK SHARON THE KUNT IN THE ASS WITH A RUSTY, FLAMING CHAINSAW!!!
:mad:

Binky
02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Lol looks like it's already dead in the water. Sharon would have been safer to have just carried on as normal but everyone thinks there would be too much pain doing this whole thing. Mandy Lion believes this is a good thing because the business is caring more for the fans, but I told him I don't think it's like that, man. In fact I lost all respect for Ozzfest since the Iron Maiden nastiness so I couldn't care much for it.

Or we could get a giant pin and burst the inflation bubble.

And Ford is right, but who is headlining? Is it just Ozzy alone? Ah well, who wants to come to Europe and go to Download (UK), Bloodstock (UK) and Wakken (Germany)? Dunno about Monsters of Rock UK because I've heard too many people say it's been cancelled. *^_^* \m/

Diamondjimi
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

I have heard the figure $75,000 you have to pay THE FUCKING KUNT to be allowed to be on the bill at all.

Heard the same figure too.

While it is nice to say you will allow people to get in for free, after the Iron Maiden spectacle in San Bernardino in August of 2005, I swore thast FUCKING KUNT would never get another cent of my money.

She is an ugly human being inside and out. I pray a lighting rig lands on her.

So as far as i am concerned, Ozzfest can kiss my motherfucking ass.

FUCK SHARON THE KUNT IN THE ASS WITH A RUSTY, FLAMING CHAINSAW!!!

Fuck her and O$$fest.

On a side note ... The only way for this cunt to redeem herself would be going back in time , getting her fat drunken lazy ass out of bed and take Randy Rhoads place on that fuckin plane that fateful day.

Fuck her !

Binky
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Just had a thought, P&P won't be free, will it? *^_^* \m/

Julius
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Supposedly the tour sponsors, Jagermeister is one of them, will be in charge of ticket distribution.

So how will they distribute the tix? Send in three UPCs of our product and recieve a free Ozzfest ticket?

Fuck Sharon in her cancer-free ass.

perilousepete
02-08-2007, 12:28 AM
well sounds like sabbath is doing their own tour, which i definitely plan on attending. so i guess it's a good thing they're not doing ozzfest, after listening to everyone's oppinion on here

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 04:56 AM
Free Ozzfest?

Get ready for an OVERKILL of advertising and publicity.

Any time you get a double cheeseburger from McDonalds, you'll get a free Ozzfest ticket. Buy two movie tickets, get a free Ozzfest ticket. Upsize your sub sandwich to a 12"er the next time you're at Subway and get a free Ozzfest ticket...and so forth.

Sharon is NOT into giving money away. If Ozzfest is becoming "free", then it's only because the venue(s) are going to up the prices on merchandise and promotional consideration by 3rd party advertisers are going to be buying up the cost of the tickets for the dubious honor of attaching Ozzfest to their products and/or services.

NOTHING is free, and Sharon Osbourne will see to that every time.

Ozzfest is over, anyway...the Iron Maiden scandal hurt them a lot in the way of credibility, plus the "Pay to Play" stories out there of bands paying $40-$75,000.00 directly to Sharon for 2nd stage billing don't exactly make Ozzy and Sharon's press statement of "We want to bring the music to the kids!" look very altruistic. People aren't stupid and they know a skunk when they smell one.

Without Black Sabbath on the bill, nobody really gives a shit anyway. And even so, Ozzy's days of fronting Sabbath without it becoming a tragedy are gone...Ozzy fronting any band these days is akin to watching Ali trying to box in 1980...horrific.

"Heaven and Hell" has already generated more interest than the last few Black Sabbath headlining Ozzfests.

On top of that, when you go to Ozzfest, IF you're lucky enough to see a band or two on the bill that you actually LIKE - you get to see them for ten whole minutes before their set is over...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the last year of Ozzfest touring...

Tiki-Tom
02-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the last year of Ozzfest touring...

One could only hope, but with that bitch involved I think she will keep it going in one form or another till she kills old Ozzman(and you know in his shape it will soon enough). Then she will move on to phase two.........$$$$$$$$$$

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Then she will move on to phase two.........$$$$$$$$$$

Truth.

Good news is that the "Black Sabbath Basement Tapes" stuff from "Ozzman Cometh" proved that there's probably a treasure vault filled with unreleased Ozzy/Sabbath stuff between 1970 and 1979...alternate takes and so forth...I'd trade my left leg for those...

Still, Tony owns it all and anything Black Sabbath related has to go through him first; the downside is that I can realistically see a $haron O$bourne/Tony Iommi lawsuit if Tony doesn't want that stuff coming out...

Tiki-Tom
02-08-2007, 05:59 AM

Still, Tony owns it all and anything Black Sabbath related has to go through him first; the downside is that I can realistically see a $haron O$bourne/Tony Iommi lawsuit if Tony doesn't want that stuff coming out...
That would be screwed up if she did that to Tony but if he gives her a hard time you know she will. If tony owns it then he should win any lawsuit she would try. It does suck that he might have pay out of pocket for lawyers to fight that cunt one day.

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, we'll see...if Sharon forks over something fair to him, Geezer and Bill in the way of royalties, it might all have a happy ending. I believe that was the case with "Past Lives", anyway.

One can hope!

PHOENIX
02-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Free?

What's the point?

They always have shitty bands in the line up.

DrMaddVibe
02-08-2007, 08:47 AM
OZZFEST 2007...FOR FREE!

GROUNDBREAKING ANNOUNCEMENT
PULLS PLUG ON TICKET PRICES

"This will change everybody’s impression of the way touring in the summer in America should be."--Sharon Osbourne

Imagine a day of wall-to-wall hard rock.

Imagine the world's greatest headliner sharing a bill with cutting edge new artists.

Imagine if this brass-knuckled beast was hellbent on coming to your town.

Imagine this earth-pounding event...FOR FREE.

2007 will forever mark the year OZZFEST spiked the concert industry's punch and gave every head-banging American kid a reason to strap on an air guitar with the historic announcement that tickets to the summer’s premiere touring concert festival won't cost fans a dime.

Testing one, two, three...

That's right, OZZY and SHARON OSBOURNE and tour producer LIVE NATION broke the news today at the Concert Industry Consortium in Los Angeles that their 12th annual hard rock spectacular--a 25-date extravaganza launching July 7 in Los Angeles--is pulling the plug on ticket prices and giving the power back to the fans calling this summer’s OZZFEST "FreeFest." The other OZZFEST cities as of now are San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, Kansas City, St Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Hartford, Charlotte, Atlanta, West Palm Beach, Nashville. Note: a final confirmed list of cities and dates is forthcoming.

"For the last few years," says SHARON, "ticket prices have steadily climbed as artists demand more and more money for summer tours. We certainly want everybody to make money, however we also want the kids to be able to afford to come out and have an incredible experience. If we continued with the traditional touring festival model, we would have no choice but to raise ticket prices again this year."

Cited as “one of rock’s biggest juggernauts” in the cover feature of Sunday's New York Times' “Arts and Leisure” section (6/25/06), OZZFEST and Live Nation will turn to sponsors to provide added support for the festival's new incarnation. This summer’s OZZFEST will provide select sponsors with a unique opportunity to engage fans one-on-one utilizing one of music’s best known brands.

"We're reaching the same point we did years ago when kids no longer wanted to pay for overpriced CDs," compares Sharon. "As a result, they found alternative ways of getting music. That’s what’s happening with summer touring in this country, it’s out-pricing itself. We started this and we want to keep it and we want to make it bigger and bigger each year by getting bigger sponsors to be involved with the festival and underwriting the festival. That’s what it’s about."

“For the past 11 years, music fans have made OZZFEST the most successful and enduring rock music festival in the United States,” said Jason Garner, Live Nation President of North American Concerts. “What better way to say ‘Thank You’ to the music fans who have made this possible than inviting them to attend OZZFEST for free.”

To gain entry into the event, fans will go to www.ozzfest.com or www.livenation.com to find links that will direct them to special sponsor sites where tickets can be secured. More details regarding the process are forthcoming.

As OZZFEST’s founder and namesake, OZZY will make his triumphant return to the headlining position on this year's mainstage after surprising fans last year by performing on the down-and-dirty second stage at a handful of dates. Audiences can expect the Prince of Darkness to unveil new songs from his forthcoming studio album, OZZY’s first disc of new material since 2001. While the rest of the in-progress bill is under wraps, Sharon points out, "we have bands committed, but we’re hoping that after today's announcement we’ll have a whole influx of artists who want to be a part of something this ground breaking. We know there aren't any major headlining acts that would tour all summer for nothing, but we're confident we can turn some of the genre's biggest bands on to what we're doing and have them come out to play a date or two. If they're in town and want the rush of performing in front of 20,000 frenzied kids, they're more than welcome to join us. They can sell their t-shirts, CDs and whatever else they've got. They're also welcome to book their own shows in local venues on the day of OZZFEST. I’m not stopping them. People have to be creative and think of alternatives."

Since 1996, OZZFEST has been a virtual breeding ground for rising bands. The festival has been instrumental in igniting the careers of platinum-selling artists like System of a Down, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Incubus, Slipknot, Queens of the Stoneage and Godsmack. Along with supporting bands on the rise including Avenged Sevenfold, Mudvayne, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage and Lacuna Coli, among others.

“OZZFEST was created to keep this genre of music alive by showcasing new talent," states Sharon. "You better believe we’re going to keep perpetuating that by hand-picking compelling new bands that are hungry for OZZFEST's career-making exposure."

###

About Live Nation
Live Nation is the world’s leading live music company, annually connecting more than 60 million fans with their favorite performers at over 30,000 events. We are the largest producer of live concerts in the world, the second-largest venue management company and have a rapidly growing online presence. Live Nation creates superior experiences for artists and fans, regularly producing tours for the biggest superstars in the business, including The Rolling Stones, Barbra Streisand, Madonna, U2 and Coldplay. Globally, we own, operate and/or have booking rights for more than 170 venues, including House of Blues-branded music venues and prestigious locations such as San Francisco’s Fillmore Auditorium, Nikon at Jones Beach in New York and London’s Hammersmith Apollo and Wembley Arena. Live Nation’s websites collectively are the second most popular entertainment event websites in the United States, according to Nielsen//NetRatings. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Live Nation is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, trading under the symbol “LYV.” For more information regarding concerts near you, Live Nation and its businesses, please visit our website at www.LiveNation.com.

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Blah blah blah...all it comes down to is that Sharon will be taking the money from 3rd party advertisers and promoters in exchange for them getting to put "Ozzfest" on their shit...

T shirts, food, water, etc. will go up double in price as well...

And meanwhile, Sharon gets to broadcast how much of a saint she is by giving away free admission to a festival that's about as tired as Ozzy is. The bands will still suck, and without Sabbath headlining, nobody is going to give a shit anyway, so it's essentially pointless...

DrMaddVibe
02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
http://www.ozzfest.com/bands.html

There's some good bands in there.

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Honestly, outside of Sabbath, Maiden and Rob Zombie, there's not much there that holds my attention...

binnie
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm going to see Ozzy this June, not the Ozzfest, just an Ozzy gig indoors with BLS opening.

Pretty stoked about it actually. Haven't seen Ozzy since 1998, and I'm hoping he's still half as killer now as he was then.

Indoors should be better, a roof to keep the volume in. Although Wembley Arean has the worst acoustics EVER. But I'm still excited about it, I just keep remembering the Ozzy who was metal's most loveable nutter, rather than Sharon's most exploitable one....

DrMaddVibe
02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Too bad Bob...Always dug Black Label Society, I only wish that he'd hire a top shelf singer. Trivium rock live. Atreyu can bring it too. BAT sounds more like Slayer meets Psychostick. I know Sharon is a cunt, but damn free is free. If they come close to me and its free, I'm there. I'd tailgate until showtime and stumble in for some tunes. If merchandise is cheaper than I can get from some of their own sites or if they offer something special I might think about it.

I'm always up for listening to what's coming up as opposed to what's mainstreamed. Always dug going to festivals too, diversified bills encourages bands to step up their game a bit and get out of the rut they'd normally play in.

bueno bob
02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Nu metal really isn't my bag...and BLS, to my ears, isn't much more than Zakk Wylde stealing Tony Iommi's riffs and trying to take it into Harley Davidson Heaven...not really my cup of tea, either...

Still, if you're going, have a great time dude...I doubt I'd go for free, honestly.

perilousepete
02-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Blah blah blah...all it comes down to is that Sharon will be taking the money from 3rd party advertisers and promoters in exchange for them getting to put "Ozzfest" on their shit...

T shirts, food, water, etc. will go up double in price as well...

And meanwhile, Sharon gets to broadcast how much of a saint she is by giving away free admission to a festival that's about as tired as Ozzy is. The bands will still suck, and without Sabbath headlining, nobody is going to give a shit anyway, so it's essentially pointless...

yeah, all very true, and yeah she's probably doing this to make herself look good, but i mean obviously to do a tour of this size for free 3rd party sponsors is what it's all about. i'm not pissed about that, i mean that's just the reality of business. but when you try to make youself look good while in reality charging an arm and a leg for everything else other than the admission charge, you're a bastard.

PHOENIX
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Bump!

Steve Savicki
02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
So is there anyone who isn't going LOL!

Originally posted by bueno bob Nu metal really isn't my bag
Is Nu Metal different than New Wave LMAO!