PDA

View Full Version : Bowie Invites Fans to Bootleg His Music

FORD
04-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Bowie Invites Fans to Bootleg His Music

LONDON - David Bowie has invited fans to bootleg his music _ and he's offering prizes for the most creative theft.

The musician's Web site urges fans to mix classic Bowie songs with material from his latest album, "Reality," to create a "mash-up" _ a track that uses vocals from one song superimposed over the backing tracks of another.

Developments in music software has made the technique long employed by record producers easily accessible to thousands of "bedroom DJs" _ a fact that has alarmed record companies battling for control of Internet music distribution.

But Bowie, 57, was quoted as saying in Monday's editions of The Times newspaper that mash-ups were "a great appropriation idea waiting to happen."

"Being a hybrid maker off and on over the years, I'm very comfortable with the idea and have been the subject of quite a few pretty good mash-ups myself," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

The music software needed for the task can be downloaded from Bowie's Web site, along with tracks from his new album.

Following the end of the contest on May 17, Bowie will choose the winning tack, and it will be released as an MP3 single. The winner will also get a new car.

The mash-up technique gained prominence with "The Gray Album," a blend of The Beatles and Jay-Z by an American DJ known as Danger Mouse.

A reported 1 million copies were downloaded from the Internet before it was blocked by record company EMI in February.

__

On the Net: www.davidbowie.com

Full Bug
04-26-2004, 11:46 AM
I bet he would, he is so well off he doesnt have to worry about money.....I bet if he was just starting out in the buisness he would be singing a different tune....

Big Troubles
04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
I dunno. Could be the other way around. I heard he spends like he's Liberace. To me it reeks of desperation too. "Im so broke, I want people to steal my music, just so it's out there." :lol:

I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me neither.

Alex Mogilny
04-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by FORD

The mash-up technique gained prominence with "The Gray Album," a blend of The Beatles and Jay-Z by an American DJ known as Danger Mouse.

This is wrong on so many levels; I don't know where to begin.

FORD
04-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
This is wrong on so many levels; I don't know where to begin.

Yeah, that probably wasn't the best example they could have mentioned. Hell, if they were going to use the Beatles, they could have at least found a decent rapper.

Apparently that entire project was done on the basis of album titles alone. Jay-Z apparently released "the Black album" a while back, so if you cross that with the Beatles "White album" you get "Gray".

Or something like that. Hell, I prefer the mixing of the Beatles & Metallica. Even though this isn't a "mash up" project, but an actual band (http://www.stark-effect.com/beatallica/index2.html)