PDA

View Full Version : Report says Pentagon manipulated intel

Hardrock69
02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer 1 hour, 15 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A "very damning" report by the Defense Department's inspector general depicts a
Pentagon that purposely manipulated intelligence in an effort to link
Saddam Hussein to al-Qaida in the runup to the U.S. invasion of
Iraq, says the chairman of the
Senate Armed Services Committee.

"That was the argument that was used to make the sale to the American people about the need to go to war," said Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record), D-Mich. He said the Pentagon's work, "which was wrong, which was distorted, which was inappropriate ... is something which is highly disturbing."

The investigation by acting inspector general Thomas F. Gimble found that prewar intelligence work at the Pentagon, including a contention that the
CIA had underplayed the likelihood of an al-Qaida connection, was inappropriate but not illegal. The report was to be presented to Levin's panel at a hearing Friday.

The report found that former Pentagon policy chief Douglas J. Feith had not engaged in illegal activities through the creation of special offices to review intelligence. Some Democrats also have contended that Feith misled Congress about the basis of the administration's assertions on the threat posed by Iraq, but the Pentagon investigation did not support that. Two people familiar with the findings discussed the main points and some details Thursday on condition they not be identified.

Levin has asserted that
President Bush took the country to war in Iraq based in part on intelligence assessments — some shaped by Feith's office — that were off base and did not fully reflect the views of the intelligence community.

In a telephone interview Thursday, Levin said the IG report is "very damning" and shows a Pentagon policy shop trying to shape intelligence to prove a link between al-Qaida and Saddam.

Levin in September 2005 had asked the inspector general to determine whether Feith's offices' activities were appropriate, and if not, what remedies should be pursued.

The 2004 report from the Sept. 11 commission found no evidence of a collaborative relationship between Saddam and
Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terror organization before the U.S. invasion.

Asked to comment on the IG's findings, Feith said in a telephone interview that he had not seen the report but was pleased to hear that it concluded his office's activities were neither illegal nor unauthorized. He took strong issue, however, with the IG's finding that some activities had been "inappropriate."

"The policy office has been smeared for years by allegations that its pre-Iraq-war work was somehow 'unlawful' or 'unauthorized' and that some information it gave to congressional committees was deceptive or misleading," Feith said.

Feith called "bizarre" the inspector general's conclusion that some intelligence activities by the Office of Special Plans, which was created while Feith served as the undersecretary of defense for policy — the top policy position under Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld — were inappropriate but not unauthorized.

"Clearly, the inspector general's office was willing to challenge the policy office and even stretch some points to be able to criticize it," Feith said, adding that he felt this amounted to subjective "quibbling" by the IG.

Feith left his Pentagon post in August 2005 and now teaches at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. He has maintained throughout the controversy over the role of the Office of Special Plans, as well as other small groups that were created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, that their intelligence activities were prudent, authorized and useful in challenging some of the intelligence analysis of the CIA.

At the center of the prewar intelligence controversy was the work of a small number of Pentagon officials from Feith's office and the office of Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz who reviewed CIA intelligence analyses and put together their own report. When they briefed Rumsfeld on their report in August 2002 — a period when Vice President
Dick Cheney and other administration officials were ratcheting up their warnings about the gravity of the Iraq threat — Rumsfeld directed them to also brief CIA Director George Tenet.

Their presentation, which included assertions about links between al-Qaida and the Iraqi government, contained a criticism that the intelligence community was ignoring or underplaying its own raw reports on such potential links.

The controversy has simmered for several years. The Senate Intelligence Committee included the Office of Special Plans in its investigation into the prewar intelligence on Iraq, but the committee did not finish that portion of its work when it released the first part of its findings in July 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070209/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_pentagon_intelligence

hideyoursheep
02-09-2007, 10:18 AM
There isn't a canopy wide enough to cover all their asses now.:mad:

Nickdfresh
02-09-2007, 06:25 PM
The most important thread today...

Thank you H69...

ODShowtime
02-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Asked to comment on the IG's findings, Feith said in a telephone interview that he had not seen the report but was pleased to hear that it concluded his office's activities were neither illegal nor unauthorized. He took strong issue, however, with the IG's finding that some activities had been "inappropriate."

Feith called "bizarre" the inspector general's conclusion that some intelligence activities by the Office of Special Plans, which was created while Feith served as the undersecretary of defense for policy — the top policy position under Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld — were inappropriate but not unauthorized.

Of course. It wasn't illegal. They cover their asses. It's "inappropriate but not unauthorized".

In other words, shit was fucked up, but it was wolfey and rummy and cheney's fault. :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
02-09-2007, 08:16 PM
*Necon Shitbag Crickets Chirping*

ODShowtime
02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
here's some background on feith

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f4/Douglas_Feith.jpg/180px-Douglas_Feith.jpg

Professional criticism

CIA Director Michael Hayden

At CIA Director Michael Hayden's Senate confirmation hearing, Senator Carl Levin asked nominee Michael Hayden about Feith's Office of Special Plans:

Senator Carl Levin: "Were you comfortable with Mr. Feith’s office [25] [26] approach to intelligence analysis?"

CIA Director Michael Hayden: "No, sir, I wasn’t. I wasn’t aware of a lot of the activity going on, you know, when it was contemporaneous with running up to the war. No, sir, I wasn’t comfortable." [27]

[edit] Former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice

According to the long-running Washington newsletter, The Nelson Report, edited by Christopher Nelson, Feith was standing in for Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld at a 2003 interagency 'Principals' Meeting' debating the Middle East, and ended his remarks on behalf of the Pentagon. Then-National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice said, "Thanks Doug, but when we want the Israeli position we'll invite the ambassador." [28]

[edit] Former Secretary of State Colin Powell

In Bob Woodward's book Plan of Attack, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell called Feith's operation at the Pentagon the "Gestapo" office because Powell believed it amounted to a separate, unchecked governing authority within the Pentagon.[29]

Soon after publication of the book, Powell said:

I don't recall saying that, but it is a terrible term to use and it is out of place, completely out of place. I have known Doug Feith for many years. We have agreed on many issues and disagreed on some. And I just regret that that has gotten into the literature and become a fact.[30]

[edit] Former Pentagon Desk Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Karen Kwiatkowski (ret)

Lieutenant Colonel Karen Kwiatkowski, who was a Desk Officer in Feith's Policy organization, spoke of Feith's style:

"He was very arrogant," Feith's former deputy, says, describing what it was like to work with him. "He doesn't utilize a wide variety of inputs. He seeks information that confirms what he already thinks. And he may go to jail for leaking classified information to The Weekly Standard." [31]

(Karen Kwiatkowski believes an article that appeared in The Weekly Standard included a classified memo written by Feith alleging ties between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda.)

[edit] Former Commander Coalition Forces in Iraq, Gen. Tommy Franks (ret)

Before the war in Iraq, the Iraqi National Congress proposed recruiting a brigade of Free Iraqi Forces to enter Iraq with the Americans. Feith supported the idea behind the project. Tommy Franks did not, as reported in the book Cobra II: "Franks remained unenthusiastic, to say the least. After a briefing from [Feith's aide Bill] Luti on his pet project, Franks turned to Feith in a Pentagon corridor, letting him know where he stood: 'I don't have time for this f--king bullshit,' Franks exclaimed." [32]

United States Army General Tommy Franks, according to Bob Woodward's 2004 Plan of Attack, described Feith as the "fucking stupidest guy on the face of the earth" (p.281). [33][34]. In his autobiography, American Soldier, Tommy Franks clarified the context of this phrase by stating that he was talking to his subordinates who were upset with Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Feith and Franks said that his actual words were "word is going around that Feith is the fucking stupidest guy on the face of the earth"; thus, he says he was reporting what he heard about Feith rather than expressing his own personal opinion.

On the April 14 edition of Hardball with Chris Matthews, Franks changed his assessment of Feith in the following exchange:

HOST CHRIS MATTHEWS: What did you think on a scale of one to 10 of the military expertise, of the civilians surrounding Secretary Rumsfeld, the people like Wolfowitz and Feith? How would you on a scale of 1 to 10, where would you put their military savvy?

FRANKS: I would put the dipstick at oh—-with a reasonable degree of understanding, I would put Doug Feith in a category as a brilliant man with some military understanding, but both of these gentlemen were apt to think out of the box. And candidly, Chris, for all I know, maybe that's what Don Rumsfeld wanted them to do.

MATTHEWS: Were they ideologues or were they analysts?

FRANKS: In my personal [opinion], they were analysts. Now, that does not imply that I'm making some statement that they were not ideologues, maybe so, but that's not the way that I saw them. [35]

[edit] Former Chief of Staff to the Secretary of State, Larry Wilkerson

In 2005, Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, chief of staff to then Secretary of State Colin Powell, publicly stated he could "testify to" Franks' comment, and added "Seldom in my life have I met a dumber man." [36]

Regarding Feith and his colleague, David Wurmser, Colonel Wilkerson has stated:

A lot of these guys, including Wurmser, I looked at as card-carrying members of the Likud party, as I did with Feith. You wouldn’t open their wallet and find a card, but I often wondered if their primary allegiance was to their own country or to Israel. That was the thing that troubled me, because there was so much that they said and did that looked like it was more reflective of Israel’s interest than our own.[37]

[edit] Former CENTCOM Deputy Director, Lt. General Michael DeLong

In an interview with PBS on 14 February 2006, General DeLong was asked about the information coming from Feith's office in the lead-up to the Iraq war. He replied:

Feith wasn't somebody we enjoyed working with, and to go much further than that would probably not be a good thing. To be honest, we blew him off lots of times. Told the secretary that he's full of baloney, his people working for him are full of baloney. It was a real distraction for us, because he was the number three guy in the Department of Defense.[38]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Feith#Professional_criticism

here's some good old threads too

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9794&highlight=douglas+feith

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16277&highlight=douglas+feith

Nickdfresh
02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
What I find disgusting about this report is the utter lack of accountability.

If people had been so overtaken by an agenda in the private sector that they had lied to share holders so thoroughly, for so long, then they'd be in fucking jail...

Thanks NeoCon Pentagon Enron Intelligence Agency! (for getting almost 3100 Americans and 600,000+ Iraqis dead!)

LoungeMachine
02-10-2007, 06:07 PM
What I find funny is no Brie posts...

Too much of a pussy to even try...