PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Collins to be cut by Giants

Sarge
04-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Collins says he expects to be ex-Giant real soon
April 26, 2004
SportsLine.com staff and wire reports

Having failed to trade Kerry Collins on Saturday, the New York Giants reportedly are close to cutting ties with their quarterback of five years.

Advertisement

Newsday reported that Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi laid out a plan to restructure Collins' contract during a Monday morning meeting and that Collins refused; Collins is owed $7 million in 2004 and the club is unable and unwilling to keep him at that price after trading for Eli Manning during Saturday's first round of the NFL Draft, Newsday reported.

SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer reported Saturday that Giants coach Tom Coughlin called more than one team trying to deal Collins, once the trade for Manning was consummated.

Collins told the newspaper he left the meeting with Accorsi with the impression he would be released later this week.

"Obviously, I'm reflective about the past five years," Collins told Newsday. "It's been a great five years. At the same time, I'm looking forward to moving on."

Collins, a 1996 Pro Bowl selection, struggled last season, throwing for 3,110 yards with 13 touchdowns and 16 interceptions while starting in 13 games. New York ended the 2003 campaign with a 4-12 record.

The Penn State product guided the Giants to Super Bowl XXXV following the 2000 season where they lost to the Baltimore Ravens. He also helped lead the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game after the 1996 campaign before Carolina lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.

For his career, which also includes a short stint with New Orleans, Collins has passed for 26,383 yards with 132 touchdowns and 134 interceptions.

Sarge
04-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't restructure either. These teams need to honor their contract the same way they expect the players to

Bob_R
04-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, now "The Bachelor" will be a backup his whole career.

Bill Lumbergh
04-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Eli Manning is a fuckhead.

Eyes of the Night
04-27-2004, 04:02 AM
I just hope Eli won't audible like a mo' fo as much as his bro does ...

Eli is small ... I bet he will get CRUSHED in da NFL ...

:gulp:

Bill Lumbergh
04-27-2004, 04:04 AM
Yeah I don't think he's gonna live up to the hype. And to be honest I'm rooting against him, after his whining the past few weeks.

DLRismydad
04-27-2004, 03:28 PM
I think this is a stupid move. The giants are throwing an unproven rookie Quarterback in there under the pressure of playing in New York.If he falters who are they going to bring in? The bachelor

Lou
04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
I can't wait until the Eagles-Giants opener at the Linc, first game of the year. I am praying Eli starts so he'll get crushed. I do think that cutting Collins is 100% the right move. His days of being an effective QB are over, and there's no point in either having him still be the starter and wasting everyone's time, or having him as a very expensive backup. That being said, the Giants were fucking morons for giving up all those draft picks for Eli Manning, when Rivers may be just as good if not better than Manning. Reminds me a little of when the New Orleans Saints made the dumbest trade in history, trading all those draft picks for Ricky Williams.

And by the way, if I were the Giants I'd also cut Tiki Barber. He SUCKS anymore. He literally kills drives with his fumbles. What did he have, 2 TD's all last year, and 6 lost fumbles. He's done.

Bob_R
04-29-2004, 01:54 PM
It's official now btw guys.

ALinChainz
04-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Collins will be sought after by a few clubs. Couch, Warner and now Collins will be out there trying to land a spot.

I have read that teams all over the league are laughing at the Giants, paying too much for Eli, releasing Collins before June 1st, etc.

They have pretty well conceded 2004 in my book. They will wish they had that #1 next year, it would have been a high choice.

ALinChainz
04-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Collins will be sought after by a few clubs. Couch, Warner and now Collins will be out there trying to land a spot.

I have read that teams all over the league are laughing at the Giants, paying too much for Eli, releasing Collins before June 1st, etc.

They have pretty well conceded 2004 in my book.

DLRismydad
04-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Now matter how good Eli turns out to be the giants won't be in the playoffs this year

Lou
04-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah so looks like San Diego will be having at least one high first round pick, likely two next year.

redblkwht
04-30-2004, 01:29 AM
I read strahan is going to the plate for collins ala media..
NY is in a uproar..when are they not? lmao

Sarge
05-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Eli isn't as good as his brother..

POJO_Risin
05-01-2004, 12:45 PM
I think Collins would do very well in Arizona...of course...I think ANYONE could do well in Arizona with Boldin and Fitzgerald...Denny Green has to be licking his chops...

If Manning would be brought along appropriately...he could be a good one...

but the Giants are taking the Colts approach of starting him from the get go...

We'll see...they do have some okay skill positions...with Toomer and Hilliard...they aren't great...but they are good...

they have Barber...who fumbles or not...will gain you some yards...and their line doesn't completely suck...almost...but not completely...

So he could have some success...

Chances are, his head will end up somewhere in the fourth row of their first home game...

Lou
05-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Barber STINKS. I should know, I had him on my fantasy team. 2 TD's and 6 fumbles lost (8 fumbles altogether). That should tell you right there that he's done. He also led the league in fumbles by a non-QB in 2002 as well.

He was a great player up to 2002, but he is D-O-N-E done. As an Eagles fan, I hate the Giants, but you know what, watching him on TV is brutal if you're just a neutral fan. He doesn't even gain yards anymore. I swear every time I saw him on TV he was gaining like 2 yards a carry and getting stopped by a D-Lineman.

Message to the Giants: cut him! RB is the easiest position to replenish in my opinion. Effective RB's are constantly popping up in the later rounds of the draft. Brian Westbrook, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis are examples.

POJO_Risin
05-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I totally disagree...I think anyone playing fantasy knows how difficult it is to find a consistent Running Back...and Lou...you are misconstruing my sentiments here...

trust me on this...there are far more worse running backs than Tiki Barber out there...a ton more...

POJO_Risin
05-01-2004, 02:55 PM
You look at the Browns situation with Couch...they never had a back who could go North and South...and Couch paid for that...

generally speaking...if Tiki doesn't fumble the ball...he will do that for you...

He had 1200 yards last year...and nearly 500 yards RECEIVING the ball...on 70 catches...

as a matter of fact...he's had an average of 70 catches 4 years running...

Looking at REAL football, and not fantasyland...you don't just cut a guy who's gaining nearly 1300 yards rushing a year...catching 70 balls...and gaining 500 for you through the air...that's a guy that can move the chains...which Manning is going to desperately need...