PDA

View Full Version : Reverand Ted Cured of Gayness in 3 Weeks

LoungeMachine
02-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Evangelist's therapy fuels 'gay debate'

By Ed Stoddard Feb 9, 2007, 19:52 GMT

DALLAS - Reports that disgraced U.S. evangelical leader Ted Haggard, felled last year in a gay sex scandal, had gone 'straight' after a few weeks of therapy may not have surprised conservative Christians who argue that sexual orientation is a choice.

But what did surprise some who also made the switch but took years to do so was the speed of the declared transformation.

In the eyes of many conservative U.S. Christians, homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle choice that can be reversed through prayer and counsel. Gay activists say they don't choose their sexual orientation and there is nothing sinful about it.

'The entire underpinning of America's anti-gay industry is that homosexuality is a choice and they can never move off of that position because if they do, everything crumbles around them,' said Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

'Haggard's people have to say it is a slip because to say otherwise is to admit that God creates gay people,' he said.

Haggard, former senior pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs, was a vocal opponent of gay marriage who resigned in November after a male prostitute went public with their sexual liaisons.

Haggard also resigned as president of the influential National Association of Evangelicals. He admitted to unspecified 'sexual immorality' after his resignation.

After undergoing three weeks of therapy, Haggard emerged convinced that he was not gay, the Rev. Tim Ralph, one of the ex-preacher's spiritual overseers, was quoted as telling the Denver Post newspaper.

'He is completely heterosexual. That is something he discovered. It was the acting-out situations where things took place. It wasn't a constant thing,' Ralph said.

Several of the more liberal Christian churches in the United States have few or no issues with homosexuality. Others such as the Episcopalians are sharply divided on the topic.

But many conservative evangelical Protestants stridently oppose homosexuality and have come out in force to vote for state bans on same-sex marriage.

Since they see homosexuality as a sinful choice, gays have -- in their view -- the option of electing a different path.

LONG PATH

Religiously motivated men who say they have made the journey from gay to straight say it is a long one.

'I do know that a three-week journey is not something reflected in my own life ... It took me three years to change my personal orientation,' said Randy Thomas, executive vice president of Exodus International, which seeks to turn gays onto the 'straight path' through Biblical inspiration.

Other religiously motivated activists who have taken the same route agreed it took years.

'I would say that a transition would take five to eight years -- I came out of a gay lifestyle and it was a long process,' said Frank Worthen of New Hope Ministries outside San Francisco, which also is devoted to turning gay men straight.

James Dobson, chairman of the influential conservative advocacy group Focus on the Family which has strong evangelical ties, said shortly after Haggard's resignation that it could take a long time to 'restore' him.

'... this could take four or five years,' he said on CNN's Larry King Live, explaining why he did not have time to be on Haggard's 'restoration panel.'

If the reports this week are true, Haggard 'restored' himself in a fraction of that time.

(c) Reuters 2007.

FORD
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Did anybody else see Boston Legal last week?

Funny that episode just happened to air at the same time Pastor Ted proclaimed himself "cured" of homosexuality.

Ted's gonna be caught with another gay hooker faster than you can say "Jimmy Swaggart".

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Hmmm.........I think I need more evidence before I can belive a cure for homosexuality exists.....

I wonder if the "Queer Eye" guys would agree to a 3 week treatment?

Hardrock69
02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Man if you sent him a book of homo pictures, he would soon be in a closet somewhere jacking off furiously!!!

ELVIS
02-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Is that what you do ??

FORD
02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Elvis, do you (as a medical professional) actually believe that homosexuality is something that can be "cured"?

ELVIS
02-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Elvis, do you (as a medical professional) actually believe that homosexuality is something that can be "cured"?

I dunno...

From a Christian standpoint, yes, but not necessarily "cured" but it can be overcome just as a believer can overcome drugs, alcohol, or any other temptation...

I've seen it happen...

But homosexuality is deeper than say a drug or alcohol problem, as the individual may truly believe he or she was born that way...

I've always been a people watcher, and i've seen very feminine little boys and very masculine little girls, but that doesn't mean they are gay...

It's a difficult subject and Christians just blowing it off as "choice" doesn't help matters...

I really don't know...:(

:elvis:

FORD
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
The thing about using the Bible as a reference for something like this is that even the most recent references are 2000 years old.

Some supposedly "anti gay" references actually turn out to be something else.

Sodom & Gomorrah, for example is often held up as an example of God nuking two entire cities simply because of a handful of gay guys. And that's just in Sodom. Genesis 19 never even mentions what the "Gomorahites" did to piss God off.

But Jesus Himself tells us that the sin of Sodom was in fact something else entirely.

From Luke chapter 10....

8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:

9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

10 But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,

11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

12 But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

What JC is referring to here is hospitality, or the lack of it. The people of Sodom were very rude to the angels who came to visit Lot. The statement "Bring them out to us, so that we may know them" is often interpreted as a reference to sex, as the word "know" often is in the KJV Bible, but even if that is true, then the situation becomes attempted rape, not consensual sex. Even if angels had sexual organs (which is doubtful, since they don't reproduce) it's not likely they would consent to sex. Rape would certainly fall under inhospitality, but would have nothing to do with consensual same sex relationships.

And of course, there is the fact that God didn't make "Thou Shalt Not Taketh It Up The Ass" part of His Top 10 list, despite the fact that several sins which are far less serious did make the list.

Next we have the question of nature. Paul's opposition (in Romans) to homosexuality is that it causes people to act "against their nature". But Paul had no possible way of knowing that someone could be born gay, with genetic factors involved.

So if you adjusted Paul's thoughts to include what medical science has now accepted, he would have to say that it's a sin for someone to have same sex relations IF they know themselves to be straight. But by the same token, it would also be a sin for someone to have heterosexual relations if they were gay, because it would be going against their nature.

Which is what Ted Haggard has now deluded himself into doing.

I've seen people try to deny who they are, and most of them have done so because of religious programming. Some unfortunately end up hating God as a result. It's all so fucking unnecessary. I just wish people would get the fuck over it and accept the reality that yes, people are born "that way" and that you can't change sexual orientation like you do a fucking pair of socks.

ELVIS
02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, I believe any sex outside of marriage (between a man and a woman) is sin...

True Christians give their lives to God and strive to do God's will pretty much 24/7...

That means sacrificing their old selfish ways, all of them...

They become dead to any willful sin and become new creatures in Christ Jesus...

"I have been crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live, but Christ lives in me..."

Galatians 2:20

I don't think it's "religious programming", it's simply applying the New Testament to your life, 100%...

A Christian who really lives a Christian life is so far removed from their old ways that it's simply not an issue anymore. No matter what their old ways were...

But it's not as simple as turning on a light switch, but it is as simple as asking Jesus into your heart to be the lord of your life...

But it has to be REAL on the individuals part...

If you try to replace faith with human understanding and reason, you'll fall every time...

If you try to figure out God's word logically rather than accept it with your heart, you'll be in trouble...

God will personally reveal His word if you pray for understanding while you study it...

I know i'm rambling...:D

Anyway...

Homosexuality is very complex, but to me, the obvious place to start is "go and sin no more..."

hideyoursheep
02-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Man if you sent him a book of homo pictures, he would soon be in a closet somewhere jacking off furiously!!!

"Hi, I'm Ted, and I'm a homosexual...."

"HI,TED"

No.

FORD
02-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Well, I believe any sex outside of marriage (between a man and a woman) is sin...

True Christians give their lives to God and strive to do God's will pretty much 24/7...

That means sacrificing their old selfish ways, all of them...

They become dead to any willful sin and become new creatures in Christ Jesus...

"I have been crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live, but Christ lives in me..."

Galatians 2:20

I don't think it's "religious programming", it's simply applying the New Testament to your life, 100%...

A Christian who really lives a Christian life is so far removed from their old ways that it's simply not an issue anymore. No matter what their old ways were...

But it's not as simple as turning on a light switch, but it is as simple as asking Jesus into your heart to be the lord of your life...

But it has to be REAL on the individuals part...

If you try to replace faith with human understanding and reason, you'll fall every time...

If you try to figure out God's word logically rather than accept it with your heart, you'll be in trouble...

God will personally reveal His word if you pray for understanding while you study it...

Anyway...

Homosexuality is very complex, but to me, the obvious place to start is "go and sin no more..."

There are matters of faith and then their are matters of science. You shouldn't try to mix the two.

A lot of religious right types like to say that homosexuals need Jesus, but they're the ones who are telling the gays that God will not accept them as they are.

That's just plain wrong. And with the knowledge we have now that sexual orientation is NOT a choice, it's an especially grievous sin.

And I'm not talking the Fred Phelps cult here. I'm talking about the typical conservative evangelical church which preaches against gays and excludes them from church. Ted Haggard's church is a prime example. The minute that his sexual orientation was revealed, they booted him from the church.

Not just from the leadership position, which would have been understandable, as he was committing adultery with a prostitute and snorting meth. No, they kicked him out of the church entirely, and even now that he's supposedly "cured", his own former church family is telling him he should move out of town.

Where's the forgiveness there? The acceptance? The love of Christ? Considering that Rod Parsley's brother took over, I doubt they have any. Those dominionist assholes don't understand the Gospels at all, or they would know what "Kingdom of God" means.

Guitar Shark
02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Wait a minute, ELVIS is a medical professional?

FORD
02-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Wait a minute, ELVIS is a medical professional?

He's a nurse. You didn't know that?

Guitar Shark
02-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I guess that means my secretary is a legal professional... ;)

FORD
02-12-2007, 03:59 PM

I should leave this for Elvis and/or Sarge to argue, but I don't think that's an accurate comparison.

Guitar Shark
02-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Just flippin' ELVIS some shit... ;)

Nickdfresh
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm thinking that Elvis has the power to "cure" women of their heterosexuality.:)

ODShowtime
02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
'The entire underpinning of America's anti-gay industry is that homosexuality is a choice and they can never move off of that position because if they do, everything crumbles around them,' said Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

'Haggard's people have to say it is a slip because to say otherwise is to admit that God creates gay people,' he said.

That's a good point.

PumpedUpMidget
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Can the same be said for Jizzystool....

FORD
02-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
Can the same be said for Jizzystool....

Jizzy's probably made a few gay men wish they were straight, but I doubt he cured any of them.

(those would be his former boyfriends, of course)

LoungeMachine
02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I'm thinking that Elvis has the power to "cure" women of their heterosexuality.:)

:lol:

Classic, fucking classic. :D

Seshmeister
02-13-2007, 08:04 AM

LMAO!

Seshmeister
02-13-2007, 09:11 AM

The only thing keeping you out of an asylum at this point is that there are too many of you to house.:)

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Is that what you do ??

No that is your department.

Hardrock69
02-13-2007, 11:05 AM
As for Sodom & Gomorrah, those two cities are written about in other ancient texts as cities of great wisdom and cultural prowess.

Leave it to Christians to say they were dsetroyed because they MIGHT have angered De Lawd....
:rolleyes:

Seshmeister
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Well look what he did to New Orleans.

There were probably some gays there.

FORD
02-13-2007, 12:17 PM
God didn't destroy New Orleans.

http://www.bushisantichrist.com/redbush.JPG
Satan did.......

ELVIS
02-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Well look what he did to New Orleans.

There were probably some gays there.

That's one of the ways people look at it...

LoungeMachine
02-13-2007, 11:42 PM
That's one of the ways people look at it...

And 9/11 was God's wrath for homosexuality, right?

ELVIS
02-13-2007, 11:43 PM
And with the knowledge we have now that sexual orientation is NOT a choice

I like how you just throw that out there...

Explain this "knowledge"

ELVIS
02-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

And 9/11 was God's wrath for homosexuality, right?

I didn't say that I supported any of these ideas, but these events fit into God's plan somehow...

FORD
02-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I like how you just throw that out there...

Explain this "knowledge"

There's genetic factors involved. It's comparable to being left handed. Sure, you can be forced to use your right hand, and in fact many left handed people were, because there was a time when even this was somehow considered "evil".

But even if such a person learned how to write in perfect penmanship with their right hand, it wouldn't change the fact that it wasn't their natural orientation.

FORD
02-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I didn't say that I supported any of these ideas, but these events fit into God's plan somehow...

How does PNAC's conveniently timed "New PERLE Harbor" fit into GOD's plan??

Is God a Likud Zionfascist now? :confused:

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 12:58 AM
No way man, I don't buy it...

I'll believe in global warming before I believe people were born gay...

FORD
02-14-2007, 01:18 AM

Well, considering you were witness to the worst result of global warming to hit this country (so far), I would hope so.

But again I have to ask.... why the HELL do you think you have to deny scientific reality in order to believe in God??

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Show me the science that points to queers being born that way...

LMAO!

FORD
02-14-2007, 02:52 AM

LMAO!

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/100/105486.htm

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Since sexual orientation is such a complex trait, we're never going to find any one gene that determines whether someone is gay or not," says Mustanski. "It's going to be a combination of various genes acting together as well as possibly interacting with environmental influences.

Hmmm...

FORD
02-14-2007, 04:07 AM
The ironic thing is that if they ever DO narrow it down to one gene, the religious reich is going to suddenly embrace abortion.

Fred Phelps will open up the "GOD KILLS FAG BABIES" clinic in Kansas, and James Dobson will be forcing premature deliveries at six months, just so there's time for three months of preemie "cures" for homosexuality.

Ice Cream Girl
02-14-2007, 04:41 AM
There's genetic factors involved. It's comparable to being left handed. Sure, you can be forced to use your right hand, and in fact many left handed people were, because there was a time when even this was somehow considered "evil".

But even if such a person learned how to write in perfect penmanship with their right hand, it wouldn't change the fact that it wasn't their natural orientation.

Yep. Learned this in my college genetics class.

H = heterosexual, dominant gene
h = homosexual, recessive gene

HH expresses as heterosexual
[25% of the population]

Hh can express as heterosexual, bisexual, or gay
[50% of the population]

hh expresses as homosexual
[25% of the population]

While other fruit flies mated wildly, the hh strain of males and females did not mate to produce an f1 generation. They all died in their jars.

Ice Cream Girl
02-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Another theory on the above is that H and h are co-dominant, expressing equally in an individual no matter what.

The dominant-recessive theory applies more to the socio-psychological pressure of the individual wanting to suppress any trace of the homosexual gene expression, or phenotype.

And this was the thinking of the genetics community back in the late 80's. This tells you how long it's taken to get to the rest of the world.

LoungeMachine
02-14-2007, 07:03 AM

LMAO!

LMMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of a sudden Mr. FAITH wants to "see the science" backing up a claim????????

:lol:

FUCKING PRICELESS

LoungeMachine
02-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Ice Cream Girl

While other fruit flies mated wildly, the hh strain of males and females did not mate to produce an f1 generation. They all died in their jars.

Conclusion: ELVIS will die in a jar.

ODShowtime
02-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Why do you have such strong feelings about this?

Why do you think it's any of your business?

Unless you're out sucking some cock, you shouldn't even be worrying about it.

ODShowtime
02-14-2007, 07:58 AM

thank you for pointing out the irony of that post.

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 08:14 AM

No, idiot...

I wanted to see a source for FORD's claim rather than to beileve it just becaues FORD said it, as Nick appears to do...

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Why do you think it's any of your business?

Ummm...

Like, last time I checked...

Follow closely now...

Pay attention...

It's what this thread is about...

LoungeMachine
02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
No, Idiot...

The thread is about a God Created HOMOSEXUAL pretending to be straight, and LYING to his family, snorting meth off of a male escort's ass......

AND THEN CLAIMING TO BE "CURED" IN 3 WEEKS WHILE TAKING A GIANT HUSH MONEY PAYOFF FROM THE CHURCH.

Many of you so called "Christians" are lying frauds who prey on people's desires to believe.

And you're a hypocrite.

You sya you "believe" in a 2,000 year old book written by men, but REFUTE science written in this century.

LoungeMachine
02-14-2007, 08:26 AM
No, idiot...

I wanted to see a source for FORD's claim rather than to beileve it just becaues FORD said it, as Nick appears to do...

Liar.

LoungeMachine
02-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
thank you for pointing out the irony of that post.

This is where ELVIS will tell us POJO asked him to mod the FL again. ;)

ELVIS
02-14-2007, 08:44 AM

You sya you "believe" in a 2,000 year old book written by men, but REFUTE science written in this century.

No, actually, this is a subject i'm interested in...

I'm not one of these Christians who refutes science, as in believing the earth is 6000 years old, or that God created the earth literally in six days...

knuckleboner
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Yep. Learned this in my college genetics class.

H = heterosexual, dominant gene
h = homosexual, recessive gene

HH expresses as heterosexual
[25% of the population]

Hh can express as heterosexual, bisexual, or gay
[50% of the population]

hh expresses as homosexual
[25% of the population]

so up to 75% of the population could be either bisexual or gay? was this college class at the University of California - San Francisco?...;)

in any case, it's clear that IF it's a genetic trait, homosexuality is not the ideal evolutionary product. (just like the knuckleboner's asthma is by no means the ideal evolutionary product.)

but i don't understand the religous types that assume God would not make "defective," gay people.

if God makes "defective" mentally/physically handicapped people; if God makes a "defective" knuckleboner, why is it so impossible to believe that God could make "defective" gay people? oh, that's right; because there's like 2 lines in the old testament that seem to say that gay is evil. not exactly strong theological reasoning, methinks...

Ice Cream Girl
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
so up to 75% of the population could be either bisexual or gay? was this college class at the University of California - San Francisco?...;)

Nope to SF.

That same 75% of the population that we're speaking of could be straight, also.

Go back and look at what I said.

50% of the population [genotype Hh] could express as heterosexual, bisexual, or gay.

Genotype-wise, they have one "straight" gene, H, and one "gay" gene, h.

Here is where "choice" comes in. These particular people chose how they want to behave.

However, the HH [2 "straight" genes] and hh [2 "gay" genes] people express their phenotype [visible behavior] as their genotype [genetics] dictates.

So, basically, this Reverand Ted character probably has the Hh genotype, I suspect.

knuckleboner
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
i know. i was joking about the 75%.

though, in all seriousness, i would definitely doubt the numbers.

simply because there are 2 genes doesn't necessarily mean that it's equally as likely that either one occurs, right?

assuming that the incidence of the "h" gene was 10% (i'm picking a random number instead of 50%), then you'd have an 81% likelihood of being HH (0.9*0.9). you'd have an 18% chance of having being Hh (or hH) ((0.9*0.1)+(0.1*0.9)), and you'd have a 1% chance of having hh (0.1*0.1).

now, i have no idea whether or not the Hh theory is correct. but if it is, while i also have no imperical evidence, i really can't believe that at least 25% of the population would have hh.

therefore, assuming the Hh theory is right, i'd have to think the h gene was less likely to occur than the H gene.

Ice Cream Girl
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes, chromosome deletions and crossovers occur, rendering genes absent or "chemically fucked up" at the very least.

Anything can happen in the human body, so the statistics are at best a theory.

But it's a better theory than someone saying, "God doesn't create gay people."

"God makes no mistakes," as that same someone would say.

knuckleboner
02-14-2007, 12:43 PM

But it's a better theory than someone saying, "God doesn't create gay people."

"God makes no mistakes," as that same someone would say.

well, amen to that. ;)

Seshmeister
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM

The Latin for left is sinister which is where we get the word from directly.

Shows the stupid superstitious crap that people believed back in the day. The same people who of course wrote and promoted the New Testament...

FORD
02-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The Latin for left is sinister which is where we get the word from directly.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBwNFKHbbKU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBwNFKHbbKU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

kinda like a dog
w/ seven pupils
in its eye
kinda like a madness
that refuses
to subside
kinda like everything you want
just w/in your grasp
kinda like
how a banshee-wail
dances
on a living heart
i'm gonna stand
at the top of the world
challenge the heavens
gonna bring you god
gonna bring you god
in the pain of the left
hand
black
gonna bring you god

kinda like
when the sun goes down
and darkness makes its climb
kinda like all your muscle tissue
starting to unwind
kinda like
if you brave the hate
feed it
to the left hand black

how i know
i can take their power
send it back at
triple times strength

how i see the battle
and the bleeding
human race
how i miss the taste of it
it's sweet
and warm
embrace

how i see
the world's demise
its last
and final gasp
how i see
reality
explode
into another kind of life

scamper
02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Knew a guy that caught gayness, it rectum...

Seshmeister
02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
http://www.hardichr.dk/Smiley%204/tumbs/drums.gif

WACF
02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Knew a guy that caught gayness, it rectum...

Rectum...I bet it nearly fucking killed him!

hideyoursheep
02-14-2007, 07:18 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBwNFKHbbKU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GBwNFKHbbKU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

AWSOME!!!

These guys need to reunite as well.

ODShowtime
02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Ummm...

Like, last time I checked...

Follow closely now...

Pay attention...

It's what this thread is about...

I don't want to call you a moron, because every now and then you are nice. But man, you are a moron.

Nickdfresh
02-14-2007, 08:15 PM

LMAO!

You're right Elvis, guys like you make women into lesbians...