PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier Resigns.. Joe Gibbs new Coach of Redskins

Sarge
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I can't believe Spurrier didn't make it in the NFL.
The guy is a complete Winner..
HE was so hyped coming in... 2 only last 2 years is a complete disgrace..

Joe Gibbs was a great coach but is old as dirt.
I can't think of anyone better for them to hire..

Mr Walker
01-07-2004, 12:40 PM
His old lady wanted to go back to Florida...
When the Boss said "Jump"... Spurrier said "How high Dear?"

Mr Walker
01-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Football follows almost as much trends as the music scene...
If something works, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.
Remember all the "West Coast Offense" coaches... some of which are still successful.
Now Vermeil has started the trend of hiring older coaches...
No knock on Vermeil cuz he's grate... and look at what old man Parcells did with the Cowboys.
I guess they want to ignore what happened with Schott in SD and Reeves in ATL.

Gmoney
01-07-2004, 01:17 PM
It's harder to control pro players than college. Spurrier can't threaten to take away their scholarships in the pros!!

BigBadBrian
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I think the game has probably passed Gibbs by. What will he do with his NASCAR team? He can't do both. Someone else will have to run it.

Mama's Fool
01-07-2004, 03:23 PM
His son runs the NASCAR team. The game doesn't pass anyone by with those kinds of credentials.

Mama's Fool
01-07-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm excited as hell to hear the news. He's no sellout like Bill Parcells.

BigBadBrian
01-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Mama's Fool
I'm excited as hell to hear the news. He's no sellout like Bill Parcells.

How is Bill Parcells a sell-out?

Hecubus
01-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Gibbs is & was a helluva coach, but when Snyder hired him...

A desperate act of a desperate little man.....

He's as big of a joke as an owner as what's-her-poodle in St. Louis.....or as John York is with my 9ers.
His motto is, if I don't get my way, I throw money at it until I do.

Mama's Fool
01-07-2004, 04:17 PM
How can you as a descent human being go from coaching the Giants to the Cowboys? Then also go from coaching the Pats to the Jets.

I'm glad to see the rivalry back though in the NFC East.

Flash Bastard
01-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Sarge
I can't believe Spurrier didn't make it in the NFL.
The guy is a complete Winner..

Spurrier was a damn good college coach who thought he could take his college offense to the NFL and be successful.

And he was very wrong. Good luck to him in the future, he's a great coach but not NFL material.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Ho fucking hum.....

Joe Gibbs, Marla Gibbs, Barry Gibb, it's all the same....

Bottom line is that he's inherited a lousy team....

And now, all of a sudden these fuckers are going to start playing just because BIG JOE is back ???

I'm not buying it for a minute....

Skins still don't make the playoffs in '04....

Lou
01-10-2004, 03:52 AM
The problem with the Redskins is that they have to get a QB. Basically next year will hinge on whether Patrick Ramsey can prove himself, or if he can't, whether they can find someone else who can. They also need a RB, too. I think Joe Gibbs will make them a better team, but they won't be doing anything special anytime soon unless until the QB position is solved. Same goes for the Cowboys, BTW--need a QB and RB.

POJO_Risin
01-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Well...

anything to argue with Va...

Ramsey sucks...and they have no running game...and their line blows...

and their Defense is shit...but they have players...I don't think they are far...

Gibbs is a great coach...a great coach...three bowls...

no to '04...but '05...they'll be back...I'm sure Gibbs has a three year plan...

I guess I wasn't disagreeing with you after all...

Mama's Fool
01-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Ramsey will be fine. The defense will be very good if they upgrade the defensive line. Greg Williams is a great coordinator and bring them back. There's too much talent in the linebacking core and the secondary. The offensive line isn't as bad as Spurrier made them look, although some depth there would help along with a new center. However they do need a running back, Ladell Betts can't stay healthy. He has looked good when he's played. As far as quarterback goes, I think Ramsey will be great, possible pro bowl next year if he stays healthy. The receivers will help him out a lot and so will Joe Gibbs.
They have the number 5 pick. Interesting to see if they go D-line or running back.

Mama's Fool
01-11-2004, 10:31 AM
I know I've tooted Ramsey's horn before, but with his arm and intelligence, I think he'll be very good if not great. He's got two years under his belt, the breakthrough season is next year.

POJO_Risin
01-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Well...this may just be me...but Fool...to remain healthy...you have to not get the shit kicked out of you every game...

they have to go OLine first...if you give ANY NFL qb time...he'll kill you...

BigBadBrian
01-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't believe Joe had to deal with the salary cap and free agency before, did he?

POJO_Risin
01-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Joe never dealt with Personel matters in the 80's and 90's anyways...so what makes the difference...

He let management know what he needed...and got it...

I would have to imagine the first two things on his agenda are a big back (lol...like Davis) and a big line...

BigBadBrian
01-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Joe never dealt with Personel matters in the 80's and 90's anyways...so what makes the difference...

He let management know what he needed...and got it...

I would have to imagine the first two things on his agenda are a big back (lol...like Davis) and a big line...

That's just my point. Before the cap, you bought what you needed, at least in a round about way. Can't do that anymore.

POJO_Risin
01-11-2004, 10:50 PM
No...you can buy what you need for one year...with a little creativity...then get hammered the following year...

but with no contracts guaranteed...as long as you don't bonus up...you can reload every year...

This is just me here...but I'm thinking that Gibbs is a better judge of NFL talent than Spurrier...who more or less looked for ex Florida players...and nothing else...

how do you let Stephen Davis go for Rock Cartright and Trung Candidate?

Gibbs WILL win in Washington...it's just a matter of when...

like I said...I'm sure he's on a three year plan like that old bastard from KC...

DLR7884
01-12-2004, 02:39 AM
Mark my words, the Redskins will win at least 10 games next year and at least get 1 win in the playoffs.

DLR7884
Football is finally back in Washington!

One Voice
01-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Well...this may just be me...but Fool...to remain healthy...you have to not get the shit kicked out of you every game...

they have to go OLine first...if you give ANY NFL qb time...he'll kill you...

Yea, you cant be a great qb laying on your back
wondering what freight train just hit you, AGAIN.

POJO_Risin
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
And Ramsey was brutalized last year...I've never seen a guy get hit so damn much...

POJO_Risin
01-13-2004, 08:48 PM
They need to much to win 10 games...but you never know...

knuckleboner
01-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I don't believe Joe had to deal with the salary cap and free agency before, did he?

nope. but he also won 3 superbowls with 3 different quarterbacks, only 1, theismann, who would have any shot at all in the hall of fame. (though he hasn't and won't make it.)

gibbs knows how to get the most out of his players.

DLR7884's a bit optimistic...but i like it.

i guarantee an 8-8 season. i'm almost positive we go 9-7 and have an outside shot at pulling a wildcard. i think 10-6 and a wildcard or an outside shot at division champ is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
only 1, theismann, who would have any shot at all in the hall of fame. (though he hasn't and won't make it.)

If you're referring to the Most Opinionated Loudmouth Hall of Fame, he's sure as hell gets my vote...

Along with that self-proclaimed expert Sean Salisbury...

And Bill Walton...

And Joe Morgan....

They were good, some great, players, but they constantly give OPINIONS as if their word is FACT....

And it pisses me the fuck off....

knuckleboner
01-22-2004, 10:01 AM
don't worry, VA. i'm not talking about the broadcasting hall of fame. i can TOLERATE joe doing commentary ONLY if i let my redskins bias rule. while he does make good, insightfull comments every once in a while, he talks SO goddamn much. TOO goddamn much.

overall, even i admit he's a shitty commentator...

though, i do like morgan and john miller. walton, i only like cause he makes it so easy to crack on him. "throw it DOWN, big man." "that's just TERRible."

One Voice
01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
If you're referring to the Most Opinionated Loudmouth Hall of Fame, he's sure as hell gets my vote...

Along with that self-proclaimed expert Sean Salisbury...

And Bill Walton...

And Joe Morgan....

They were good, some great, players, but they constantly give OPINIONS as if their word is FACT....

And it pisses me the fuck off....

This is true, Salisbury was average at best, but listening to
him you would think he was fantastic.He definately
is a loud mouth jerk.